Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court (3631 Views)

Appeals Court Declares Senator Dino Melaye's Election Tribunal Should Be Retried / Cemetery Attendant Wants Funsho Williams Murder Case Retried / Nigeria Wont Know Peace If Uwazuruike Is Retried’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by OAM4J: 3:27am On Sep 21, 2011
[size=13pt]Swiss court orders retrial of Abacha’s son[/size]

GENEVA – Switzerland’s highest court has ordered the retrial of son of former military head of state, General Sani Abacha.

Abba Abacha was given a two-year suspended sentence in June 2010 for taking part in a criminal organisation, and his assets were confiscated.

The retrial was ordered because he had been unable to get a Swiss visa to attend the trial.
The Federal Government lawyers believe Sani Abacha, who ruled from 1993 to 1998, may have stolen $2.2bn (£1.3bn).

After his father’s death in 1998, Abba Abacha and other members of the family controlled the funds.

Nigeria asked the Swiss government in 1999 to help it recover the money, much of which was thought to be hidden in Swiss banks.

Switzerland has so far handed back about $700m to Nigeria.

Abba Abacha was ordered to return $350m of illegally gained assets at his trial last year in the police court in Geneva.

But the Swiss Federal Tribunal annulled the sentence and ordered the retrial on the grounds that Abacha’s rights had been violated and because of procedural irregularities.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/swiss-court-orders-retrial-of-abachas-son/
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by cogbuagu: 8:18am On Sep 21, 2011
No wonder they said they can't be as poor asDangote wink
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 21, 2011
I sense that there must av been an agreement that the remains of abacha's loot should be handed to abacha family which abba wants to recover. however it is like the bank no won release am to him or the Nigerian govt, in this case the both parties + Nigerian govt are crooks!

Nigeria don collect their share, the bank wants theirs and abba want Im papa
moni, so if the bank can make him rot in jail, that wud be it!

Politics!
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by EFFRAKATA: 9:05am On Sep 21, 2011
OAM4J:

[size=13pt]Swiss court orders retrial of Abacha’s son[/size]

GENEVA – Switzerland’s highest court has ordered the retrial of son of former military head of state, General Sani Abacha.

Abba Abacha was given a two-year suspended sentence in June 2010 for taking part in a criminal organisation, and his assets were confiscated.

The retrial was ordered because he had been unable to get a Swiss visa to attend the trial.
The Federal Government lawyers believe Sani Abacha, who ruled from 1993 to 1998, may have stolen $2.2bn (£1.3bn).

After his father’s death in 1998, Abba Abacha and other members of the family controlled the funds.

Nigeria asked the Swiss government in 1999 to help it recover the money, much of which was thought to be hidden in Swiss banks.

Switzerland has so far handed back about $700m to Nigeria.

Abba Abacha was ordered to return $350m of illegally gained assets at his trial last year in the police court in Geneva.

But the Swiss Federal Tribunal annulled the sentence and ordered the retrial on the grounds that Abacha’s rights had been violated and because of procedural irregularities.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/swiss-court-orders-retrial-of-abachas-son/
Oya na!
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by wilxz(m): 10:48am On Sep 21, 2011
How time are u going to hear about this, if una wan jail make una carry go, nobody they protest for im matter.
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by okpurukata(f): 11:43am On Sep 21, 2011
It is amazing that a criminal and a criminal family such as the Abachas are still moving about freely in Nigeria, no questions asked. It amazes me more that no muslim or better still high ranking northerner will ever see anything wrong in the level of looting this evil family have carried out against the Nigerian state. NOT ONE OF THEM WILL EVER CONDENM WHAT IS BAD/EVIL, AS LONG AS IT IS DONE BY ONE OF THEM.

I wait for that mallam called Alhjarem to prove me wrong.
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2011
I am sceptical of these news stories from Nigerian newspapers.

Personally I am not convince that Abacha looted Nigeria, based on the policies of his government and its economic performance.
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 21, 2011
Most nigerian news papers are owned by Babangida and Obasanjo and othe corrupt Generals and their job seems to be to misinform and confuse to hide the fact about their looting.

IBB and OBJ are the biggest looters
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by blackboi(m): 4:04pm On Sep 21, 2011
anything can happen in this part of the world. Remember This Na Naija [TNN]
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by T8ksy(m): 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2011
GenBuhari:

I personally I am not convince that Abacha looted Nigeria, based on the policies of his government and its economic performance.

@ Bolded, nothing man no go read for NL!!!

Jeez!!!
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by blackboi(m): 6:55pm On Sep 21, 2011
GenBuhari:

I personally I am not convince that Abacha looted Nigeria, based on the policies of his government and its economic performance.

hmm!
well, i believe that was jst a mistake abi no be so GenBuhari? grin
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 22, 2011
Ever asked yourself why you are not reading about the enormous loot fo Obasanjo and Babangida.

I personally estimate Obasanjo looted $100billion (N25 trillion ) and Babangida probably has $50billion.
Ever asked yourself why our journalist do not pursue this issue?

Because between them, they have bought all the news media and journalists in Nigeria.

Little known facts about this Abacha that is being scapegoated to draw away attention form the real looters (Obasanjo and
Babangida) is that Abacha performed quite decently economically despite imposition of western sanctions, low oil prices and military commitments in Sierra Leone and Liberia to fulfill Nigeria's role as regional superpower at that time.

Abacha reduced inflation to 8% (he inherited and inflation rate of 54% from Babangida)

Abacha maintained the value of Naira at N22=$1 through out his tenure (no devaluation)

On his death the people of Sierra Leone and Toga expressed dispair and praise his  efforts in bringing peace the region.

He set up the PTF to improve infrastructure and appointed Gen. Buhari to run it.

Please let us get some perspective about who the real enemies our country are.
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by chloride6: 9:36pm On Sep 22, 2011
$2.2 bilion? Believe me guys that not up to 15% of what they have as Cash in Bank Not to talk of Assets.
Re: Abacha's Son Should Be Retried - Swiss Highest Court by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 23, 2011
Why is the journalist not reporting about the $100billion Obasanjo has looted?

Or the the $50billion Babangida has looted

Ever asked yourselves why?

Shine your eyes and get some perspective

(1) (Reply)

How Obasanjo Lied His Way To Heroism / Boko Haram Leader Proclaims ‘islamic Caliphate’ In Nigeria / BREAKING: El-rufai Is Boko Haram’s Executive Commander – Ihejirika

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.