Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? (13138 Views)

Oath Taking And Thunderbolt, Is It Justified? / Can Snooping EVER Be Justified? / Hitting A Female, can it ever be JUSTIFIED? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by femmy2010(m): 3:31pm On Sep 21, 2011
Under what condition can abortion ever be justified?
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by coogar: 3:36pm On Sep 21, 2011
femmy2010:

Under what condition can abortion ever be justified?

-if the baby has the potential to kill her mother
-if a rapis[i]t[/i] is responsible for the pregnancy.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by ronkebp(f): 3:36pm On Sep 21, 2011
it is justified, in the case of life or death.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by femmy2010(m): 3:38pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:

That sure seem cogent enough.
Can the possibility of giving birth to an SS child be a cogent one to have an abortion?
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by coogar: 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2011
femmy2010:

That sure seem cogent enough.
Can the possibility of giving birth to an SS child be a cogent one to have an abortion?

if the parents are poor, the answer is yes.
cos their poverty would eventually lead to the death of that child sooner than later.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by sheyguy: 3:47pm On Sep 21, 2011
Hardly, Except 4 rape.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by emofine(f): 3:53pm On Sep 21, 2011
In my own personal opinion I feel abortion is only a method when such pregnancy has the potential to kill the mother but for other situations I think adoption will be more suitable.

I find it ironic when many people who argue for abortion say that the child feotus doesn't feel any pain when the first sense that is developed by the embryo is the sense of touch undecided

anyway just my 2 kobo.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by mazaje(m): 3:56pm On Sep 21, 2011
When the baby has the potential to kill the mother. . .Or if the baby is going to come into the world with a great form of deformity or illness. . .
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by kemmeye: 3:57pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:

i agree with the first but not the second cuz its not the babys fault and im sure the baby would not have wanted to come to the world like that and then again you never know wat the child could become in future.  cry
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by coogar: 3:57pm On Sep 21, 2011
kemmeye:

i agree with the first but not the second cuz its not the babys fault and im sure the baby would not have wanted to come to the world like that and then again you never know wat the child could become in future.  cry

so you would keep the pregnancy of an armed robber?
are you serious?
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by kemmeye: 4:01pm On Sep 21, 2011
i would hate to but i also have to remeber that that kid has a potential to be great and watever happened was for a reason. this thread is making me sad sad
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 21, 2011

Abstract

Abortion in Nigeria is illegal and carries a heavy jail sentence--up to 14 years imprisonment--unless it is performed to save the life of the pregnant woman. Nevertheless, a large number of clandestine abortions continue to be carried out regularly, often with dire consequences for the lives and health of the women involved. This article reviews abortion legislation in Nigeria, examines court decisions on the subject, and presents the results of a survey conducted on the incidence of abortion in the country. A case is made for revising existing abortion laws. A brief look is taken at the various indications for abortion that might be adopted and a proposal is made for a new abortion policy in Nigeria in the light of the country's recently adopted population policy.

In Nigeria, abortion is illegal and carries a stiff jail sentence, up to 14 years, unless done to save the life of the pregnant woman. Abortion legislation in Nigeria and court decisions on the subject are examined. Abortion is governed by the Criminal Code in the southern states, and the Penal Code in the northern states. In "R v. Idiong and Umo," the 2 defendants had been convicted of murder on the grounds that the 1st accused had obtained the services of the 2nd accused, a native doctor, to give native medicine to bring about an abortion. The abortion resulted in the woman's death. Therefore the 1st accused was party to the crime. The West African Court of Appeal found that the 2nd accused had acted innocently believing that the medicine would relieve pain that the dead woman suffered from a retained placenta. He gave an abortifacient for expulsion of the placenta. He was found "not guilty" of murder and manslaughter. The 1st accused was found criminally responsible for causing the abortion, but was found not guilty of murder. He was guilty of manslaughter, however. In 1981, the Nigerian Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics sponsored a Termination of Pregnancy Bill in the House of Representatives. However, pressure groups lobbied against it, and the bill did not pass. In 1984, a survey was done to assess incidence of abortion. Representative samples were taken from the north and the south. The capital cities of 8 different states were covered. In 5 sample hospitals within the Lagos Metropolis in Lagos State, 125 abortions or treatments of incomplete abortions were recorded within a month. In 4 representative hospitals from Oyo State, 81 abortions or corrections of incomplete abortions were recorded within 1 month. In the northern state of Kaduna, information was very difficult to obtain. At one of the University Teaching Hospitals in Zaria, records showed there were 103 treatments of incomplete abortions during the preceding year. The usual approach to revising abortion laws has been to expand or extend the grounds for legal abortion. In some jurisdictions, courts have widened the ground by adopting the decision that life includes mental and physical health. Abortion may be possible for eugenic reasons. In February, 1988, the Nigerian government announced its adoption of a population
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2219225
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by coogar: 4:05pm On Sep 21, 2011
kemmeye:

i would hate to but i also have to remeber that that kid has a potential to be great and watever happened was for a reason. this thread is making me sad sad

what potential can possibly come out of a child sired by an armed robber? a child you would always hate to see cos his face reminds you of his father when he violated you. . . . . .
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2011
this link shows various sections of the law regarding the subject

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1966614
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:
cos their poverty would eventually lead to the death of that child sooner than later.

Please tell them. It's as if some people don't understand that it takes money, a lot of money, to raise a child. For extreme examples, look no further than Sudan and Northern Kenya. See the small children they are burying.

Another justifiable case is inbreeding.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by kemmeye: 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:

what potential can possibly come out of a child sired by an armed robber? a child you would always hate to see cos his face reminds you of his father when he violated you. . . . . .

i reli get ur poinmt tho it would be kinda hard but i would hate what the father did but not the child and if i cant stand it i'll just give the baby up for adoption. everyone deserves a chance. idk
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Zaynee63: 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2011
I used to be with a girl. she was gang-raped and got pregnant from the incident. Who you have advised her to keep the baby, and thereby keep the memory of the incident too?

Think she was justified to have aborted it.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by ringles: 4:17pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:

Agreed.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by coogar: 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2011
kemmeye:

i reli get your poinmt tho it would be kinda hard but i would hate what the father did but not the child and if i cant stand it i'll just give the baby up for adoption. everyone deserves a chance. idk

give up the baby to adoption? he will grow up to be a robber in the end and he will also rap[i]e[/i] someone's daughter in the near future.
if lightning strikes twice - it might actually be your daughter! see no evil, hear no evil. abort the baby, move on and spare the rest of us the seeds of an armed bandit.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by kemmeye: 4:24pm On Sep 21, 2011
idk u may be right
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by blackpanda: 4:25pm On Sep 21, 2011
In most advanced countries, including South Africa, it is the sole prerogative of the mother to choose whether or not to keep the pegnancy.
While yall can keep chatting on the reasons for condoning abortion, the sad fact is that the law can not provide for every single individual situation.
So, in my view, abortion should be left to the mother to decide. Rather, govt can create incentives to disuade pple from unnecessary abortion. E.g in SA, mothers benefit from child welfare scheme.
On the other hand, Nigeria shld also allow abortion, especially as a means of controlling our population explosion!
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by seedord247(m): 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:

Poverty is not an excuse to abortion brooo . . .
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by coogar: 4:28pm On Sep 21, 2011
seedord247:

Poverty is not an excuse to abortion brooo . . .

it is if the baby is sickle-celled.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Fokativ: 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2011
When a lady attempts imposing marriage on an unprepared guy with an unwanted pregnancy, a clandestine abortion with the connivance of her Doctor could be justified. Just my thinking undecided undecided undecided
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2011
blackpanda:
In most advanced countries, including South Africa, it is the sole prerogative of the mother to choose whether or not to keep the pegnancy.
While yall can keep chatting on the reasons for condoning abortion, the sad fact is that the law can not provide for every single individual situation.
So, in my view, abortion should be left to the mother to decide. Rather, govt can create incentives to disuade pple from unnecessary abortion. E.g in SA, mothers benefit from child welfare scheme.
On the other hand, Nigeria shld also allow abortion, especially as a means of controlling our population explosion!

Thank you.

coogar:
give up the baby to adoption? he will grow up to be a robber in the end and he will also rap[i]e[/i] someone's daughter in the near future.
if lightning strikes twice - it might actually be your daughter! see no evil, hear no evil. abort the baby, move on and spare the rest of us the seeds of an armed bandit

What on earth are you talking about? An armed bandit's son will not always be an armed bandit. I may not be an engineer like my father. Peter Okoye's son may not be into music. President Obama's daughters may have no interest in politics. Thanks to nature vs nurture, children have a good probability of being different from one or both of their parents. You're judging an unborn child based on a criminal parent's actions. That's highly unfair and definitely not a justifiable reason for abortion in my opinion.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by kemmeye: 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2011
ogugua88:

Thank you.

What on earth are you talking about? An armed bandit's son will not always be an armed bandit. I may not be an engineer like my father. Peter Okoye's son may not be into music. President Obama's daughters may have no interest in politics. Thanks to nature vs nurture, children have a good probability of being different from one or both of their parents. You're judging an unborn child based on a criminal parent's actions. That's highly unfair and definitely not a justifiable reason for abortion in my opinion.

thanks thats what ive been trying to say but was kinda skeptical in a way
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by femmy2010(m): 4:36pm On Sep 21, 2011
ogugua88:

Thank you.

Frankly,i would not advice my fathom younger sister to keep such a pregnancy.
Armed bandit,hell No.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by ednut1(m): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2011
It can be justified wen a father yansh his own daugther . In china there are 30m abortions nd 20m births wat a world
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by blackpanda: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2011
femmy2010:

Frankly,i would not advice my fathom younger sister to keep such a pregnancy.
Armed bandit,hell No.

But you are not ur sister. You are not the one that was raped, ur not the one that will carry the child for nine months, or breastfeed the child, or worry about its health or wellbeing. The child may not even bear ur last name.
So dont you think it is wise that the decision shld be left to ur sister?
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by femmy2010(m): 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2011
ednut1:

It can be justified wen a father yansh his own daugther . In china there are 30m abortions nd 20m births wat a world

That one na real abomination.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2011
kemmeye:
thanks thats what ive been trying to say but was kinda skeptical  in a way

No problem wink

femmy2010:
Frankly,i would not advice my fathom younger sister to keep such a pregnancy.Armed bandit,hell No.

Well, no one wants that, but ultimately it would be up to your sister and how she feels about it. There's a difference between not wanting to have an armed robber's child and not wanting to have a child because I think it will grow up to be an armed robber. The latter is a flimsy excuse.
Re: Can Abortion Ever Be Justified? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2011
any adult woman should decide if she want to have an abortion or not, and that's the only JUSTIFICATION she requires!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife / Happy Valentine From Me To All / Palm Kernel Oil And Coconut Oil. ( Adin Eyan Ati Adin Agbon) Available Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.