Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,214 members, 7,867,523 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:44 PM

How To Avoid Impulse Buying: Tips And Strategies - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Avoid Impulse Buying: Tips And Strategies (167 Views)

Kolkata FF Fatafat Tips And Strategies To Win Game / Fine Jewellery Buying Tips / 7 Types Of Friends To Avoid If You Want To Succeed In 2018 - Topwritersden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Avoid Impulse Buying: Tips And Strategies by mkobo: 10:48am On Apr 13, 2023
Last week was paycheck week, so I went shopping with a list of things I needed to buy. I had budgeted for this spend the week before and hoped to move through the market like a ninja.

In the end, I still bought two extra items that were not on my list.

This is known as impulse buying, and it occurs when you buy items that you did not intend to buy. Sometimes you don’t even need the item but believe it will come in handy soon.

Uncontrolled impulse purchases can have a significant impact on your personal finances, leaving you with items you rarely or never use. Anyone can be a victim of impulse buying, so it’s critical to take precautions.

Here are some tips and strategies to help you avoid (or at least minimize) impulse buying.

Have a budget
This cannot be overemphasized. Planning your spending ahead of time can be that saving grace when you want to overshoot your shopping budget for the month.
Of course, having a budget is one part of the pie and the discipline to stick to it is another. But it’s better than shopping blindly without understanding where you currently stand financially. You even risk the chance of incurring unexpected debts

Unsubscribe from marketing emails
Seriously, unsubscribe from them ASAP if you want to curb impulse buying. There’s always that fashion store that has discounts for almost every weekend. These emails often tempt you with discounts and promotions, making it harder to resist the urge to buy.

If you notice it’s making you impulse buy then it may be time to say goodbye. Unsubscribe.

Have a “shopping debit card” or carry limited cash
I have this friend that only carries a certain amount of cash when leaving the house. According to him, it’s his way of curbing impulsive spending. You can have a debit card that you only use when you want to shop.

You transfer some money into it and know that’s your shopping allowance for that period. This is also good practice for online safety especially if you will not be leaving much money inside.

Delay buying new items
I know someone who has this personal rule not to buy anything the first few days after receiving a substantial amount of money. Some people delay buying items for days or even up to a month.

This helps you process, if you really need the item or if it’s just a nudge to buy it.

Shop with an accountability partner
Shop with someone who you know can rein you in when you start getting overexcited and buying more than is necessary. However, it’s important to avoid friends who encourage you to overspend.

Reward yourself
Anytime you can shake off impulse buying, consider rewarding yourself. For example, instead of buying a new smartphone every year, you can hold on for about two years and then reward yourself with a much better flagship device.

Be conscious to pick on advertising
While shopping or scrolling the internet, be conscious enough to notice advertising. While it may be harmless on its own, you want to be intentional about not falling for ads and buying items you don’t need.

Always ask if you need it
When shopping, always ask if you need that item. Do you need to buy two extra pairs of shoes when you just need one for your evening stroll? It can be a tough choice but constantly evaluating purchases can be helpful so you don’t spend more than necessary.

Do you have personal tips you use for impulse buying?

How do you handle it?

Re: How To Avoid Impulse Buying: Tips And Strategies by mkobo: 10:54am On Apr 13, 2023
Click here to download the Mkobo app now - https://onelink.to/vetsj2

(1) (Reply)

Bloomchemag: Empowering Industrial Processes With The Power Of Acetic Anhydride / Feedback From Players / Hire Duct Repair Melbourne Services - Ducted Heating Cleaning Melbourne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.