Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. (2189 Views)

Benue Man Who Snapped Pictures In Coffin Dies 24 Hours After (Photos) / Man Takes His Son To The Hospital In A Wheelbarrow In Imo State (Photos) / Live Update On My Hospital Bed (peri-anal Abscess) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by favourRN(m): 1:35pm On Apr 19, 2023
For health care workers only.

see the images below.

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by Redoil: 1:40pm On Apr 19, 2023
is this the hospital tinubu is been treated

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by thesicilian: 1:41pm On Apr 19, 2023
Makes sense
Here we try as much as possible to keep most of these guidelines in our head, while over there they just place them at convenient locations for easy reference

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by favourRN(m): 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2023
thesicilian:
Makes sense
Here we try as much as possible to keep most of these guidelines in our head, while over there they just place them at convenient locations for easy reference

Yes for easy reference, let me explain the grading system used in nursing schools in the US. A grade of 69 or below is an F, 70-79 is a C, 80-89 is a B and 90-100 is an A. Nurses are trained to memorize these guidelines, but to quickly act in emergency situations without having to think critically that why the poster is present. example if you see I have the septic shock on the image but I didn't snap it well, and it requires immediate attention and intervention so we rush to check for details. Nigerian nurses find it easy to practice in the US because they are able to adapt quickly because life is easy here as a nurse.

2 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by thesicilian: 3:48pm On Apr 19, 2023
favourRN:

Yes for easy reference, let me explain the grading system used in nursing schools in the US. A grade of 69 or below is an F, 70-79 is a C, 80-89 is a B and 90-100 is an A. Nurses are trained to memorize these guidelines, but to quickly act in emergency situations without having to think critically that why the poster is present. example if you see I have the septic shock on the image but I didn't snap it well, and it requires immediate attention and intervention so we rush to check for details. Nigerian nurses find it easy to practice in the US because they are able to adapt quickly because life is easy here as a nurse.
Yeah
Life is supposed to be made easier for others, that's why it will always be preferable to practice abroad than here in Nigeria. In most hospitals here nurses are not allowed (through no fault of theirs) to take critical decisions, almost everything has to be decided by the doctor. Like that septic shock protocol you talked about, in more than 9
80% of Nigerian hospitals the only thing the nurse will do is to find the doctor and then wait for instructions. But I think things are beginning to change now, more nurses are now being trained in BLS, ACLS, PALS etc

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by favourRN(m): 4:38pm On Apr 19, 2023
thesicilian:

Yeah
Life is supposed to be made easier for others, that's why it will always be preferable to practice abroad than here in Nigeria. In most hospitals here nurses are not allowed (through no fault of theirs) to take critical decisions, almost everything has to be decided by the doctor. Like that septic shock protocol you talked about, in more than 9
80% of Nigerian hospitals the only thing the nurse will do is to find the doctor and then wait for instructions. But I think things are beginning to change now, more nurses are now being trained in BLS, ACLS, PALS etc

100% correct
Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by 1Sharon(f): 8:42pm On Apr 19, 2023
thesicilian:

Yeah

Nurses in Nigeria aren't taught BLS? shocked

Cc:KanwuliaExtra

1 Like

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by LajaLaba: 10:10pm On Apr 19, 2023
Redoil:
is this the hospital my papa is been treated
Don't derail!

2 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by thesicilian: 10:56pm On Apr 19, 2023
1Sharon:

I said more of them are being trained in BLS etc.
It's a form of continuing medical education. Even non medical personnel are being taught now as well because of how vital it is as a form of first aid

1 Like

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by kkins25(m): 1:13am On Apr 20, 2023
1Sharon:

we are still struggling with teaching them mannersπŸ˜‚

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by 1Sharon(f): 1:33am On Apr 20, 2023
kkins25:
we are still struggling with teaching them mannersπŸ˜‚

πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

They have brought their bad attitude to the UK

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by 1Sharon(f): 1:34am On Apr 20, 2023
thesicilian:

I said more of them are being trained in BLS etc.
It's a form of continuing medical education. Even non medical personnel are being taught now as well because of how vital it is as a form of first aid

So before they weren't being taught? shocked
Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by rex444(m): 1:52am On Apr 20, 2023
When some nurses don dey do coding
Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by kkins25(m): 2:00am On Apr 20, 2023
1Sharon:

πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

They have brought their bad attitude to the UK
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚.
I was reading a book on the subject matter just recently and I'm marveled at the requirements westeen nurses or health care practitioners must meet with regards to customer care.. By western standard many nurses in Naija, or Ghana should be in jail or de-licensed.πŸ˜‚.
Can you imagine a nurse threatening to beat my kid sister because she was acting sluggish.. A girl who's just been diagnosed with inflammatory lung condition.. When my old man told me, how i wished i was there..

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by 1Sharon(f): 2:50am On Apr 20, 2023
kkins25:
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚.
I was reading a book on the subject matter just recently and I'm marveled at the requirements westeen nurses or health care practitioners must meet with regards to customer care.. By western standard many nurses in Naija, or Ghana should be in jail or de-licensed.πŸ˜‚.
Can you imagine a nurse threatening to beat my kid sister because she was acting sluggish.. A girl who's just been diagnosed with inflammatory lung condition.. When my old man told me, how i wished i was there..

Many of them should long be fired but white people are now scared of being racist so they just rant online, their ego is just out of this world

Threatening to beat up a sick patient? shocked

Smh..not surprised

1 Like

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by fkj950ax(m): 3:18am On Apr 20, 2023
favourRN:
For health care workers only.

see the images below.

Nice initiative by your hospital, but make sure you took these photos and shared them publicly within the guidelines (if any exist or in place) of your workplace.
The US is the most legislated society in the world. Everything has do's and don'ts; rules and regulations so it doesn't become an issue tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by favourRN(m): 3:27am On Apr 20, 2023
sure I do understand the guidelines, taking pictures/videos in the patient rooms is wrong, taking pictures/videos of the patient chart is wrong, and lots more, I studied nursing there so I know a lot of ethical principles.
fkj950ax:

Nice initiative by your hospital, but make sure you took these photos and shared them publicly within the guidelines (if any exist or in place) of your workplace.
The US is the most legislated society in the world. Everything has do's and don'ts; rules and regulations so it doesn't become an issue tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by favourRN(m): 3:53am On Apr 20, 2023
kkins25:
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚.

In the US, it is important to abide by the ICN code of conduct in order to maintain a nursing license. Many Nigerian nurses may have lost their certification if they were practicing in the US (but I am sure they won't because Nigerians I have seen are doing the right thing here). Going to court in the US is not uncommon, even for small matters, especially those related to non-maleficence. Patients can just bring charges against a nurse for causing side effects, such as pruritus due to medication given, and you must defend yourself by citing nursing laws related to non-maleficence. and because someone is a citizen of the US does not mean that they are all-knowing; they only know what is within their rights. Nurses are trained to determine if patients are alert and oriented, but it is still important to confirm information with patients, as in the case of a patient's name. At one time I asked for a patient name and her husband said why still asking when I have his wife's chart and her name on it, I had to explain that I know her name, but needed confirmation from her herself. Without this explanation to him, he could have reported me for incompetence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by 24SEVEN: 7:08am On Apr 20, 2023
1Sharon:

Cc:KanwuliaExtra

Does BLS stand for BulLShit? grin
Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by 1Sharon(f): 7:17am On Apr 20, 2023
24SEVEN:

Does BLS stand for BulLShit? grin

Basic life support

1 Like

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by rash47(m): 10:10am On Apr 20, 2023
favourRN:

In the US, it is important to abide by the ICN code of conduct in order to maintain a nursing license. Many Nigerian nurses may have lost their certification if they were practicing in the US (but I am sure they won't because Nigerians I have seen are doing the right thing here). Going to court in the US is not uncommon, even for small matters, especially those related to non-maleficence. Patients can just bring charges against a nurse for causing side effects, such as pruritus due to medication given, and you must defend yourself by citing nursing laws related to non-maleficence. and because someone is a citizen of the US does not mean that they are all-knowing; they only know what is within their rights. Nurses are trained to determine if patients are alert and oriented, but it is still important to confirm information with patients, as in the case of a patient's name. At one time I asked for a patient name and her husband said why still asking when I have his wife's chart and her name on it, I had to explain that I know her name, but needed confirmation from her herself. Without this explanation to him, he could have reported me for incompetence.

Why do you always refer to US as North america? Has anyone in your lineage been a nurse before , let alone in America
Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by kkins25(m): 11:23am On Apr 20, 2023
favourRN:

yep and that's how it should be

1 Like

Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by kkins25(m): 11:24am On Apr 20, 2023
rash47:

Why do you always refer to US as North america? Has anyone in your lineage been a nurse before , let alone in America
Us is north America na.
Re: What I Snapped Today At My Hospital In Virginia. by rash47(m): 6:23pm On Apr 20, 2023
favourRN:

Did you got the messsage from your mum?

(1) (Reply)

How I Treated My Baldhead(hairloose) Naturally In Nigeria / How to stop menstrual cramp/pain in 1 hour with naturehero's energy bracelet / The Rage Of Local Sexual Enhancers…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.