Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,697 members, 7,862,192 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:55 AM

Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy (874 Views)

Mish Akwa Ibom Ayaya Biography: Life And Legacy Of The Akwa Ibom Born Singer / Nine Years After.. Dagrin Still Lives On / Olamide Pays Tribute To Dagrin Ahead Of His 8th Years Remembrance Tomorrow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by Rebuker(m): 11:59am On Apr 22, 2023
Dagrin, the award-winning Nigerian rapper from Ogun, Nigeria, was born as Oladapo Olaitan Olaonipekun on 21 October 1987. He attended several schools including Meiran community primary school, Roseille Nursery and Primary School, Meiran Community high school and Egbado College. Known for his unique style of rapping that incorporated Yoruba, English and Pidgin English, Dagrin gained prominence before his untimely death on 22 April 2010 at the age of 22.

Sadly, he died in a car accident on 14 April 2010, when his car collided with a stationary trailer (heavy-duty vehicle) in front of Alakara Police Station, off Agege Motor Road, Mushin, Lagos. His car, a 2008 Nissan Maxima, carried the number plate DAGRIN 03. During the candlelight ceremony held in his honor, his father's speech was the rap he did to the song he was featured in by YQ, titled "Efimile."

Despite his short-lived career, Dagrin's legacy continues to make him a celebrated figure. He was nominated for several awards, including the Nigerian Entertainment Awards for Best Album (C.E.O.), Hottest Single "Pon Pon Pon," Best Rap Act, and Best Collaboration with vocals in 2010. His album C.E.O. won the Hip hop World Award 2010 for Best Rap Album, and it featured hit singles like "Pon Pon Pon" and "Kondo." Dagrin collaborated with several Nigerian artists such as Y.Q, 9ice, M.I, Iceberg Slim, Omobaba, Terry G, Code, MISTAR DOLLAR, TMD entertainment, Omowumi, Chuddy K, Bigiano, and Konga. He worked with notable music producers like Sossick, Dr Frabz, Sheyman, Frenzy, and 02.

In April 2011, a film titled Ghetto Dreamz, which portrayed Dagrin's life, was released with Trybson Dudukoko and Doris Simeon-Ademinokan starring as Dagrin's girlfriend. One of his famous singles, "Pon Pon Pon," holds cultural significance as it depicts the lifestyle in various parts of southwestern Nigeria, including Lagos, Agege, Ifewara, Mushin, Ikeja, Surulere, Isale Eko, and other areas where life in the slums intermingles with life in the affluent cities. Dagrin's songs touch upon ethnicity, pride, survival in the streets of Lagos, and criticism of bad behavior by elderly people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bKGh0e-_6I
Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by Rebuker(m): 12:01pm On Apr 22, 2023
Cc: Fynestboi, MissyB3

Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by Fisiryorh(m): 12:10pm On Apr 22, 2023
Da Greatest Rap Artist In Nigeria....

Keep on resting man...

1 Like

Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by judatech: 12:12pm On Apr 22, 2023
cry i don't understand the 1st pix
Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by Rebuker(m): 12:12pm On Apr 22, 2023
judatech:
cry i don't understand the 1st pix

That's from the scene of the accident that claimed his life cry

It was a very terrible accident šŸ˜”

1 Like

Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by mayor1814: 8:38pm On Apr 22, 2023
To me, DAGRIN is the best and greatest rap artist to ever come out of Nigeria. My points. hard-core rap skills, he had it in abundance.... lyrical strength, he had it in abundance.... street cred, he had it in abundance.... popularity, he had it in abundance.... commercial success, he had it in abundance..... I respect mode9 , M.I and the likes but how many of them can boast of all have listed. it's either they have one or two and don't have the others e.g mode9 is no doubt a great hard-core rap artist/MC but he doesn't have the commercial success or popularity of DAGRIN never. Even till today, DAGRIN songs and names ring bell more than that of mode9. As for M.I, he doesn't have the street cred and popularity that DAGRIN possessed. Dr Alban of the early 90s went low key after the hit "It's my life" DAGRIN HAD IT ALL. CHAMPION with General Pype and others - DAGRIN killed that song. THANK GOD ft Omawumi. it has to be one of the top 5,or top 10 songs to ever come out of Nigeria. GHETTO DREAMS - What a lyrical masterpiece. "mo wish lati mowe bi Wole Soyinka, but problem ti mo ni, a won sisi yimika" Ni Gboro - ft Isolate. IF I DIE - ONE of the deepest hip hop songs in the world, not only Naija. Reminds one of 2pac deep songs. DAGRIN is the greatest rapper to ever come out of Naija

3 Likes

Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by nymphomaniac(m): 1:38pm On Apr 24, 2023
Misofuyin entertainment CEO.

Rest in peace. I barely understand anything he says in his songs but I love them all.

As Omawunmi said - you left too soon
Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by sageb: 1:52pm On Apr 24, 2023
mayor1814:
To me, DAGRIN is the best and greatest rap artist to ever come out of Nigeria. My points. hard-core rap skills, he had it in abundance.... lyrical strength, he had it in abundance.... street cred, he had it in abundance.... popularity, he had it in abundance.... commercial success, he had it in abundance..... I respect mode9 , M.I and the likes but how many of them can boast of all have listed. it's either they have one or two and don't have the others e.g mode9 is no doubt a great hard-core rap artist/MC but he doesn't have the commercial success or popularity of DAGRIN never. Even till today, DAGRIN songs and names ring bell more than that of mode9. As for M.I, he doesn't have the street cred and popularity that DAGRIN possessed. Dr Alban of the early 90s went low key after the hit "It's my life" DAGRIN HAD IT ALL. CHAMPION with General Pype and others - DAGRIN killed that song. THANK GOD ft Omawumi. it has to be one of the top 5,or top 10 songs to ever come out of Nigeria. GHETTO DREAMS - What a lyrical masterpiece. "mo wish lati mowe bi Wole Soyinka, but problem ti mo ni, a won sisi yimika" Ni Gboro - ft Isolate. IF I DIE - ONE of the deepest hip hop songs in the world, not only Naija. Reminds one of 2pac deep songs. DAGRIN is the greatest rapper to ever come out of Naija

Chief executive Omoita , Dagrin.
Fondly remembered

1 Like

Re: Dagrin 13 Years After His Tragic Death: His Life And Legacy by dododawa1: 5:37pm On Apr 24, 2023
Akogun

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Iā€™m Going Back To Brazilā€: Tiwa Savage Decries Over Fuel Scarcity, Car Tire Burs / American singer Swae Lee In Nigeria / Celebrities' New Year Resolutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.