Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why (15254 Views)

My Friend Took The 300k Work In Lagos / 4% free shares for a female digital marketer, Urgently / How To Get A New Job After Losing Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Oyindamolah: 3:47pm On Apr 24, 2023
I took a new job at only a 4% salary hike. Here's why

After I cleared the interview rounds, I got into salary negotiations with HR. It was a bigger role not just on scope of work but also from a DGM to a Finance Director also with a much larger organisation.

I demanded 25% and after much negotiation HR agreed to it. I resigned and was serving notice. During the notice period, the current company (one I was leaving) decided to include me too in the appraisal cycle (owing to my good performance till date)

Within 15 days, appraisal cycle was completed and I was granted a 20% hike immediately.

Now, this created a tricky situation

In comparison to my new existing salary, the new company's salary was only 4% extra. I started to feel, I lost out on negotiation. The human psychology.

I had two options now

• Either to get back on the renegotiation table at this stage

OR

• Continue with what I had already accepted & proceed

I thought hard & chose to decide the latter and joined at the same agreed salary. Renegotiating at this stage would have looked very unprofessional & I would have lost my negotiation power for next cycle.

Next 1 year, I slogged VERY VERY hard, met the targets, made the improvements, rebuilt the team, ticked almost all the boxes.

And next appraisal cycle, got a rating of 4 on 5 and now, I also disclosed that I had joined only at 4% hike

The result :
1. Promotion
2. Salary correction
3. Exemplary Service Award

Sometimes short term gain seems lucrative, may be I would have got some hike if I had renegotiated before joining, but always keep the bigger picture in mind.

Negotiation after you have proven yourself is far beneficial than before. Negotiate better, Think long term !

Copied!

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by alt3r3g0: 2:59pm On Apr 28, 2023
I would not advise anyone to take any raise given to you after you have put in your resignation letter.

I have heard scenarios of the person being dropped after they rejected the new offer and stayed at the old company.

89 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Hamachi(f): 8:42pm On Apr 28, 2023
alt3r3g0:
I would not advise anyone to take any raise given to you after you have put in your resignation letter.

I have heard scenarios of the person being dropped after they rejected the new offer and stayed at the old company.
Sense no go kill you

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by kerry57: 11:48am On May 15, 2023
Ur choice, life is all about personal choices
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Enddy50ty(m): 11:48am On May 15, 2023
Okay
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Dozie32(m): 11:48am On May 15, 2023
None of our business. Tinibu is going nowhere.

8 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Risingblue008(m): 11:49am On May 15, 2023
I'm not in support of that,
Re-accepting ur job after tendering ur resignation letter,
See,them fit 4k u up at any moment,
U would have continue from ur new job,
A case study of my uncle,
Who worked with late odugu in asaba,
He's was about traveling to US as at then(17yrs back)
Immediately he told he's boss(odugu),his boss increased his salary by 40%,
With the space of 7-9 months,
Na so d man sack my oga with little or no reason,it was very painful shaa,
Pls and many more,
Well,I wish u the best.if I no wish u d best,den I be witch,
Good luck

13 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by FalseProphet1(m): 11:50am On May 15, 2023
I'll share this piece with my members during mid-week service.

This I have seen.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by ecolime(m): 11:50am On May 15, 2023
I'm personally not a fan of staying in a company after giving resignation notice. It's good you left IMHO.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Savechild23: 11:50am On May 15, 2023
I pray u will find what u want
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by dfrost: 11:50am On May 15, 2023
Hmm...

It wasn't 4%. Time value of money when you resigned remains what you negotiated that it 25%.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Risingblue008(m): 11:51am On May 15, 2023
Dhd
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Jefferyhi86(m): 11:52am On May 15, 2023
The question is, where una for they see work. Mk una still try help person life na, I no Wan do crime abeg for the sake of my kids n late dad

1 Like

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by randymirrors(f): 11:52am On May 15, 2023
alt3r3g0:

It's just common sense. I don't know how people fall for this trap. Once I say goodbye, I never look back. Besides, I never let my employers/boss know my motivation for leaving. That way, they can't negotiate nothing with me.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by nepapole(m): 11:54am On May 15, 2023
Most of these companies do not deem it fit to treat their staff right until resignation letter is dropped.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by smileNpass: 11:56am On May 15, 2023
I like the fact that you honoured professionalism

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by motionarena: 11:56am On May 15, 2023
Normal.

I have seen colleagues take a new Job with Lower pay

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Femich18(m): 12:02pm On May 15, 2023
Once resignation letter has been dropped never retrieve it even if they increase your salary by 100% for the following reasons:
1. They will see you as not being loyal and will eventually leave in the nearest future
2. That you are only after what you will get (money) and not necessarily the value to be added to the organisation.
Kindly note its a big trap

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by livenija: 12:03pm On May 15, 2023
Boring
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Kubin: 12:14pm On May 15, 2023
Jefferyhi86:
The question is, where una for they see work. Mk una still try help person life na, I no Wan do crime abeg for the sake of my kids n late dad
not even for the sake of not eating watery beans through out the rest of your life.
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Femich18(m): 12:17pm On May 15, 2023
Jefferyhi86:

Funny question
Wetin you study?
BTW people like us wey no get connection nah online we dey apply o. Get a good CV, Cover letter, apply on time and pray for God's mercy. Everything go align if you no give up after several failed attempts

2 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Kubin: 12:18pm On May 15, 2023
U can't go back to your vomit,or you will regret in the nearest future,if you want to progress in your career put in your best and Don stay too long with one employer,

3 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by IyaTola: 12:22pm On May 15, 2023
A post made in April is making in to the Month of May
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by ogashman(m): 12:31pm On May 15, 2023
FalseProphet1:
I'll share this piece with my members during mid-week service.

This I have seen.

Kolo prophet grin

1 Like

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by MartinsD12(m): 1:07pm On May 15, 2023
alt3r3g0:

Definitely the employer might end up sacking the employee in the middle of the month without any salary at all talk of salary increase
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Primusinterpares(m): 1:14pm On May 15, 2023
Kubin:
U can't go back to your vomit,or you will regret in the nearest future,if you want to progress in your career put in your best and Don stay too long with one employer,
This is true... Perhaps it broaden your horizon.

Once you drop letter that means you are ready to move. Don't look back no matter how juicy it might seams

2 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by luckize: 1:19pm On May 15, 2023
Move on man. You can stay back with your old employer for other important reasons but not that raise. [quote author=Oyindamolah post=122719565][/quote]
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by GboyegaD(m): 1:52pm On May 15, 2023
It all depends on what one thinks of himself. If you are sure your record speaks for you, you can before putting in your resignation discuss with your boss on your new offer. If they are willing to match it, you can stay.
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by OdenKelechi(m): 1:59pm On May 15, 2023
Jefferyhi86:

grin
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by toprealman: 2:25pm On May 15, 2023
Is money the only factor to consider before making career move?
Imagine £500k/werk in Aston Villa or £300/week in Real Madrid or the new darling Man City!
Environment matters.... let's look before we take that leap
Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by MJluv(f): 2:27pm On May 15, 2023
I hope a whole lot of people will see this tread and learn a thing or two about the intricacies of dealings in the corporate world.

4 Likes

Re: I Took A New Job At Only A 4% Salary Hike. Here's Why by Jefferyhi86(m): 2:31pm On May 15, 2023
Baba i studied comp Sci, cv is well packaged, funny enough Na hospitality work I mostly dwell on, pple who had connections to get job self no de stress to package cv. Honestly Nigeria is somehow messed up with persons without connections
Femich18:

Funny question
Wetin you study?
BTW people like us wey no get connection nah online we dey apply o. Get a good CV, Cover letter, apply on time and pray for God's mercy. Everything go align if you no give up after several failed attempts

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Companies Outsource Their Services? / Lying About Educational Background In Job Interview / Get A Job Or An Accommodation First? Which?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.