Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat (5371 Views)

Officials Evacuating Bodies After Boko Haram Attack In Maiduguri (Photos) / Security Beefed Up Around Diezani After Cancer Surgery / Security Beefed-Up In The North Over Movie On Prophet Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by Babasessy(m): 8:32am On Sep 23, 2011
Boko Haram: Security beefed up at Lagos Airport

Security was beefed up yesterday at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, following a tip off that the Boko Haram sect may strike at the airport any moment.

Motorists and airport users trying to gain access to the international wing of the airport were thrown to harrowing experiences as a combined team of Air Force, police, State Security Services and Aviation Security frisked every vehicle that comes in while users were equally seriously checked by the security operatives. Our correspondent observed that the two entrances to the terminal building were manned by stern looking security officers who were either in mufti or service clothes.

The frisking of motorists and users led to a very heavy traffic at the airport while some passengers were apprehensive that they may miss their flight if it persisted. Some wore sober look as they tried to gain entrance into the terminal for their flights. As at the time of filing in this report, the searching of motorists, passengers and other users still continued while a source confided in our correspondent that the team had to carry out the operations following a rumour that the airport would be attacked on Thursday. It would be recalled that the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria in conjunction with other security agencies at the airport had devised many means to improve security at the airport.

National Mirror reported exclusively two weeks ago that users were regularly screened outside the terminal before they gain access to the airport proper while those who have no tangible reasons to be at the airport were regularly turned back by the security personnel. However, those who eventually gained access to the terminal building were also randomly interrogated by the combined team of security operatives like the Nigeria Police Force, State Security Services, Immigration, Customs, Civil Defence and the in-house aviation security of FAAN. Our correspondent had observed that the combined security team was stationed at strategic places within the terminal building especially at the stair case areas.

Most users before climbing the stair case are interrogated by the security personnel attached to the airport and some have been severally turned back from climbing the staircase because they were not able to convince the security personnel of their mission at the airport.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/business/business-and-finance/21300.html

Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:40pm On Sep 23, 2011
I hope they have closed off back-stairs access from the Toilets on the ground floor to the Departure lounge - Each time the MOPOLS stop me from entering the lounge. I simply go to Arrivals and take a leak in the gents, Walk upstairs through the stairs meant for the Janitors and viola! I am in a restricted area smiling and waving at the clueless MOPOLS through the Glass grin
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by Greenslim: 1:41pm On Sep 23, 2011
Boko aram will come when they are tired.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by walex2(m): 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2011
i can bet anybody that boko-haram cant come to LAG this is just an attempt to cause distraction. lagos is not a republic of al-majarian like maiduguri, bauchi or suleja. we are enlighted here.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by atasteve: 2:01pm On Sep 23, 2011
God thanks for saving our land.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by lafuria1(m): 2:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
in summary, d govt only thinks of d country security only wen boko haram are mentioned.
It amaze me dat d nig govt stil claim they dont knw who they are.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by SwiftSMS(f): 2:11pm On Sep 23, 2011
la furia:

in summary, d govt only thinks of d country security only wen boko haram are mentioned.
It amaze me dat d nig govt stil claim they dont knw who they are.

I tire oooo. You just echoed my thoughts
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by hbrednic: 2:13pm On Sep 23, 2011
that decayed old building will simply colapse on its own.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by Pukkah: 2:43pm On Sep 23, 2011
The whole security arrangement of the airport needs to be overhauled. Have you ever seen the long-winding traffic that welcomes people to the airport these days? It is caused by the actions of unscrupulous policemen who permit arriving travellers, of course with gratification, to park their cars and load their luggage on the road. Anyone can take advantage of the melee to perpetrate havoc.

The inside of the airport too has become too small for the level of operations. It's so tight to the extent that people, especially those pushing trolleys in the departure lounge, cannot move freely. You'll see people standing and sitting on crowded seats all over the place. Isn't this a fertile avenue for trouble makers?
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by Fhemmmy: 2:45pm On Sep 23, 2011
You mean with security men that would collect 200 Naira and help carry the bomb enter plane?
Ok oh
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by lastpage: 3:02pm On Sep 23, 2011
^^^^ I was just wondering if the "Security Agents" would not be doing "Thanks-giving" in church on Sunday, after turning this into another "Roger Venture"! grin grin

We are such a peaceful Nation (and people) that we have taken 'security' for a joke.
Boko people should be tackled using "Stealth intelligence" gathering, not "Physical and raw show of presence".

What will happen if Boko peeps go on vacation and strike in 6months time, are our security peeps ready and willing to keep-up the "Vigil" endlessly? Me dont think so at all.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by snowdrops(m): 4:10pm On Sep 23, 2011
Better inconvenienced than dead
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by islamrules(m): 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2011
The government claimed they know their leaders. So, why deceiving Nigerians ?
Why playing politics with Nigerians Life when you know who they are ?

Every Nigerians should get a gun. This government is just our enemy!
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2011
[size=14pt]This jonathan government is seriously losing it
How can you say you are beefing up security at an airport that has no canine unit?
you think boko haram will come with bombs wrapped on their bodies? The airport as far as i know is the easiest target
everyone comes there with heavy bags locked with keys
so without bomb sniffing dogs everywhere, expect to record up to 1000 casualties,
instead of spending on equipping the force with Helis, canines, high tech gadget, they share the money, shebi el-rufai don dey talk
na so una go dey expose una self.[/size]
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by denitro(m): 6:18pm On Sep 23, 2011
One thing I have noticed in Lagos International airport is that the average Nigerian is not
security conscious.
Scenario -
I was at the Departure area of the International airport (Lagos), I sat down waiting for
the check in period to start. A lady came over to an empty seat sat down and dropped
her luggage in front of her. After a while she got up and went to check out something
in the distance leaving her bag lying there.
My 1st instinct was to get up and leave the scene cos I thought to myself - this could
be a bomb so i left the scene. I looked around and saw people chatting without even
noticing anything,
We need to be conscious of our environment at all times,
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by mrewe: 8:07pm On Sep 23, 2011
Only a bomb scare!!
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by MMM2(m): 8:20pm On Sep 23, 2011
boko haram just dey fu ck up
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by executinal(m): 8:26pm On Sep 23, 2011
Naija, when can we put the right thing at the right time??
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by whosefault(f): 10:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
the problem in Nigeria is that the main issue will be left unattended while the trivial issues will be dealt with seriously. with the security beefed up, genuine travelers will start missing their flight while those with no intention of travelling will gain access to the airport. the traffic jam to the airport will be terrible at this moment going by the alert gotten. my advice is that the scanning of luggage and vehicle movement should be swift not to cause congestion.
we wish all the intended travelers journey mercies and God almighty will save us from this dastardly act of terrorism.
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by moshoodn(m): 10:38pm On Sep 23, 2011
Its like Boko has come to stay.
. . . Dictating every twists and turns in Nigeria.
Can someone tell me, do we really have a government?
Democracy just ain't working!
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by numeralTM: 11:45pm On Sep 23, 2011
cool cool cool cool
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by gaddafe(m): 11:47pm On Sep 23, 2011
walex2:

i can bet anybody that boko-haram cant come to LAG this is just an attempt to cause distraction. lagos is not a republic of al-majarian like maiduguri, bauchi or suleja. we are enlighted here.

SECONDED

one thing though is that I am totally disappointed in this government. Till this day all GEJ does is to keep saying they are on top of the situation while Boko guys keep threatening the country. Today it is the university, tomorrow airport next, I don't know and the govt just keep running halter skeeter. SHAME ON GEJ AND HIS S.T.U.P.I.D ADMINISTRATION

It will be on record that it was in his administration  that severe terrorist activities was carried out on Nigeria populace while the govt stayed numb
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by dazzy4real(m): 12:57am On Sep 24, 2011
Our govt are jst jonzing demself we knw dey knw hu dis bokoharams re bt dey re jst fooling around!!
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by psalmizt(m): 5:08am On Sep 24, 2011
dazzy4real:

Our govt are jst jonzing demself we knw dey knw hu dis bokoharams re bt dey re jst fooling around!!

Absolute Truth, Me thinks the SSS and Co are just doing damage control and trying to manage the situation,
Re: Security Beefed Up At Lagos Airport After Boko Haram Threat by Gbawe: 3:21pm On Sep 24, 2011
gaddafe:

SECONDED

one thing though is that I am totally disappointed in this government. [b]Till this day all GEJ does is to keep saying they are on top of the situation while Boko guys keep threatening the country. [/b]Today it is the university, tomorrow airport next, I don't know and the govt just keep running halter skeeter. SHAME ON GEJ AND HIS S.T.U.P.I.D ADMINISTRATION

It will be on record that it was in his administration  that severe terrorist activities was carried out on Nigeria populace while the govt stayed numb

They are not on top of anything. To be honest, the lives of Nigerians is in the hands of God. I went through MIA this morning and did not see anything that looked remotely like "beefed up" security at any stage.

Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 / Oldest Man In The World?? Aged 170 Yrs & Still Alive From Ekiti State / PICTURES:Colleagues confirm NAF's Pilot's Identity.