Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 (26037 Views)

Frank Farian, Founder Of Boney M And Milli Vanilli, Dies At 82 / Dilichukwu Okonkwo Aka Tidinz Dies At 26 / Slim Brown Ft Harry B - ZAMO (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by juman(m): 7:10pm On Apr 25, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:
First time i'm hearing abt him

Not me alone.
It seems i didnt know the name.
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by naptu2: 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2023
Wotowotoman:

Who told you he sang this song. You are daft…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8aNhbnP-Y

2 Likes

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by ThierryJay: 7:15pm On Apr 25, 2023
[quote author=naptu2 post=122743293][/quote]

So this song is where 2-face tapped his tune "My love is here to stay, dont run away, I promise you.....you are my number one" from. Chai.

The man is a legend. RIP
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by ShaqFu: 7:15pm On Apr 25, 2023
naptu2:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWobt9Zn_Ms
WOw. Maximum respect to him. 🙌🙌🙌

2 Likes

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by eben97: 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2023
chillychill:
But am sad to say am on my way
Wont be back for many a day
My heart is down
My heart is turning around
I had to leave a little girl in kingston town cry cry

smiley thank you for the memoriescry
HMMM,.. I WAS A FAN IN D 80'S, OUR `TURN TABLE` CD VERSION WAS MY FAVOURITE
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Jeffyblaq(m): 7:19pm On Apr 25, 2023
When you watch all these oldies 50s,60s, 70s,80s music.. You would realize and agree that the current folks we have now that called themselves musicians are just after the money and fame... Datz all!

Especially wat we have here in Nigeria.

RIP LEGEND!

3 Likes

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by chillychill(f): 7:22pm On Apr 25, 2023
eben97:
HMMM,.. I WAS A FAN IN D 80'S, OUR `TURN TABLE` CD VERSION WAS MY FAVOURITE

Actually twas my elder brother that do listen to it den cheesy na so me seff grab am for head dat time. It became my jam too tru my brother

1 Like

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Truthshscrazy: 7:22pm On Apr 25, 2023
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Lovelyn451(f): 7:24pm On Apr 25, 2023
seguno2:

Please how do you mean Fula man
u no dey see him face, stature, even his accent sef, na buhari brother, they're all over the world
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by steeltrust: 7:24pm On Apr 25, 2023
naptu2:
Harry Belafonte invited her to the US to perform and she went there, but the Apartheid Government of South Africa revoked her passport. Many African countries offered her citizenship and Belafonte helped her in the US. She performed on the Ed Sullivan Show and she also performed before President Kennedy. She was ill when she performed in front of President Kennedy, so she went back to her hotel immediately afterwards, but the President wanted to meet her, so Harry Belafonte sent a car to go and bring her back.

chai 🤦🏽‍♂️
Na this song Nigerian Christian’s turn to my life time, I’ll give god my life time
If I give god my life time
He will take care of me
He will never never let me down
I’ll give god my life time

E don tay when Nigerians de do things de come oh 😂😅

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by naptu2: 7:25pm On Apr 25, 2023
staga:
Wow, he has finally joined his good friend Sydney Portier on the other side.

He featured on the USA for Africa song "We are the World"

Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby (I also loved the movies they did together).

naptu2:
Legends

Sidney Poitier will be 90 years old tomorrow, while Harry Belafonte will be 90 on March 1st.

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by eben97: 7:43pm On Apr 25, 2023
chillychill:

Actually twas my elder brother that do listen to it den cheesy na so me seff grab am for head dat time. It became my jam too tru my brother
TALKing about influence right ?my dad was a music don.he influenced my passion so so much.IT WAS WAR TO BREAK AWAy from circular music,god had to step in for me.i am now into gospel, strictly.
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by antibullshit: 7:44pm On Apr 25, 2023
My favorite Harry Belafonte song is "new york taxi' its not one of his more popular songs....my parents had the album
RIP to another great man who has played his part and moved on!
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by bukatyne(f): 7:50pm On Apr 25, 2023
Sleep on legend.

Celebration of life to his family & friends.
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by sukkot: 8:00pm On Apr 25, 2023
RaptorX:
I will never understand how a black person will say they are fighting for black people's right, then go marry the daughter of the oppressor they claim they are fighting against.
lol its weird shit bro
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Mrpojj(m): 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
jargonzboi:
Harry Belafonte, the singer, actor and human rights activist has died at home in Manhattan, New York, aged 96.

He is one of the most successful African-American pop stars in history, he scored hits with Island In The Sun, Mary's Boy Child and the UK number one Day-O (The Banana Boat Song).

But his greatest achievements were as a campaigner for black civil rights in the US.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/25/arts/music/harry-belafonte-dead.html
Life
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by chillychill(f): 8:43pm On Apr 25, 2023
eben97:
TALKing about influence right ?my dad was a music don.he influenced my passion so so much.IT WAS WAR TO BREAK AWAy from circular music,god had to step in for me.i am now into gospel, strictly.

Lol at least you still do something positive with it na.. glad u moved more into it

1 Like

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by NemoDatQuod(m): 9:23pm On Apr 25, 2023
Harry Belafonte was NOT a legend. That title is for mere mortals. He was one of the few giants who have walked this earth. From his steadfastness in the Civil Rights Movement in America, including funding Martin Luther King Jnr, to his fight for the freedom of Africans living under the apartheid regime in South Africa, including his friendship with leaders who stood up to American imperialism in the 20th century( Fidel Castro etal).

This was a giant who walked this earth. A rare giant at that. I am glad he was accorded the privilege of a long life span by our great God Jehovah!
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Jacku: 9:46pm On Apr 25, 2023
Wow! What a handsome man he was. Rest in power, sir.

Get the Oraimo freepods 4 at a very affordable price

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by VULCAN(m): 10:31pm On Apr 25, 2023
This thread is for mature minds.

1 Like

Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by MetaPhysical: 11:14pm On Apr 25, 2023
May his soul rest in peace!
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Chochovini: 11:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:
First time i'm hearing abt him
. Honestly, same here.
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by Agbaje1246: 11:25pm On Apr 25, 2023
This man looks like the man on cabin biscuit pack
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by gabbrri(m): 7:04am On Apr 26, 2023
he is the original initiator of we are the world project a popular song in the mid 80s he sold the idea to Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson and people were made to believe they initiated the project
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by delishpot: 7:17am On Apr 26, 2023
I knew many of his songs just didn't know who sang them. Thank God for long life.
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by eepeepook: 10:15am On Apr 26, 2023
I have no idea who he is. R.I.P. Entertainers and athletes were the biggest pushers against segregation. White people clandestinely enjoyed their works and mimicked them for an ignorant audience. They slowly changed the perception of the black man for the better way before civil marches were thought of.
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by kingslj: 3:04pm On Apr 26, 2023
[quote author=naptu2 post=122743304][/quote]

when life was what it is
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by mhiztalee(m): 4:55pm On Apr 26, 2023
Nur be this man dey cabin biscuits that year ?
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by eben97: 2:17pm On Apr 27, 2023
chillychill:

Lol at least you still do something positive with it na.. glad u moved more into it
yea,thats true.but am a bit amazed over your falling over heads for such old school.what part of d country u from ? and whats your age range pls ?
Re: Harry Belafonte Dies At 96 by chillychill(f): 8:42pm On Apr 27, 2023
eben97:
yea,thats true.but am a bit amazed over your falling over heads for such old school.what part of d country u from ? and whats your age range pls ?

Lol Lagos.. as for the age range m in 50s cheesy grin tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wizkid's 'Made In Lagos' Becomes Nigeria's Highest Charting Album On US Itunes / 200 People Call Radio Station For Missing Bag / Naira Marley - Tesumole [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.