Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,746 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. (1173 Views)

Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise / The Meaning Of "Next Of Kin" / What The Law Says About Next-of-kin In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by Abemy(m): 9:41pm On Apr 25, 2023
*If* *you*die*today* , your *Next* *of* *Kin* *will* *not* *have* *any* *access* *to the money in* *your Account* !!!.

So many Nigerians (and elsewhere) think that their next of kin is the automatic heir to their account.

But the truth is that if your next of kin is not a signatory to your account, and you don’t have a written will to determine that person’s legitimacy, the person will not have access to that money at all.

Your bank will have to go through a process called a *LEGAL* *PROBATE* .

This probate period helps them determine who gets the money in your account.

This is a very very lengthy and expensive process. Even after the whole process is done, your family will have to forfeit some very high amount of the money for legal fees.

But if you want to avoid this , simply request for your bank to give you something called a *POD* form. *POD* stands for *PAYABLE* *ON* *DEATH* .

The name of the person (s) you fill in that *POD* form will determine who will get your money.

All the person needs to bring is a *Death* *Certificate* to get that money out.

With a *POD* form , you will save your family the stress of going through all that lengthy legal process and even loosing some money to the law.

I just thought I should let you know this😊

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by Foodqueen(f): 10:12pm On Apr 25, 2023
Thank you!
Thank you!!
Thank you!!!

For real?

Highly enlightened 🙍

1 Like

Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by purehustle101(m): 10:19pm On Apr 25, 2023
For real.
Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by matrixme(m): 10:45pm On Apr 25, 2023
Tufiakwa! For this obodo Nigeria? Make I use my two legs waka go bank go collect death form? The person for kukuma branch price coffin. No be me and you oo, abeg!
Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by mejai(m): 4:19am On Apr 26, 2023
matrixme:
Tufiakwa! For this obodo Nigeria? Make I use my two legs waka go bank go collect death form? The person for kukuma branch price coffin. No be me and you oo, abeg!
What he wrote their is the just the truth. Save ur loved ones the stress of bank in ur absence. Or u can secretly make ur partner co-signatory to ur account (joint account with either to sign).
When u die, bank no dey smile o. Dem never smile when u dey alive sef.

2 Likes

Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by JeffreyJunior: 4:29am On Apr 26, 2023
matrixme:
Lol.

I've been like that until one time I was exposed to a deadly substance and everyone was running helter skelter to save me and my immediate sub.

The medical expert in my unit had already given deadline for both of us to start having multiple organ failures that would lead to death. A lot of procedures was activated until all of a sudden, we started responding to treatment.

I have never been scared of paying the ultimate price but that particular incident made me realize that I wasn't prepared for it.

If I had died, I knew my office would make sure my family got all I had and all that was due to me but what about things I had they didn't know of. You can only try to retrieve something if you are aware of its existence.

Therefore I did some adjustments immediately I came back from that assignment. If anything happens to me now, no one will skip crying session to worry about losing the few things I had to my name. wink

There ain't nothing wrong with preparing for death but there's everything wrong in not preparing for it.

1 Like

Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by zed7: 12:44pm On Apr 26, 2023
Payable on death is legally recognised in banks abroad, but I'm not sure of Nigerian banks. I'd have to verify.
Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 1:28pm On Apr 26, 2023
Thank you!

Abemy:
*If* *you*die*today* , your *Next* *of* *Kin* *will* *not* *have* *any* *access* *to the money in* *your Account* !!!.

So many Nigerians (and elsewhere) think that their next of kin is the automatic heir to their account.

But the truth is that if your next of kin is not a signatory to your account, and you don’t have a written will to determine that person’s legitimacy, the person will not have access to that money at all.

Your bank will have to go through a process called a *LEGAL* *PROBATE* .

This probate period helps them determine who gets the money in your account.

This is a very very lengthy and expensive process. Even after the whole process is done, your family will have to forfeit some very high amount of the money for legal fees.

But if you want to avoid this , simply request for your bank to give you something called a *POD* form. *POD* stands for *PAYABLE* *ON* *DEATH* .

The name of the person (s) you fill in that *POD* form will determine who will get your money.

All the person needs to bring is a *Death* *Certificate* to get that money out.

With a *POD* form , you will save your family the stress of going through all that lengthy legal process and even loosing some money to the law.

I just thought I should let you know this😊

1 Like

Re: Your Next Of Kin Can Not Access Your Bank Account After Your Death. by Peachy14: 7:30pm On Apr 26, 2023
Thank you for the information.

(1) (Reply)

should there even be child star? / If You Can Choose! / Where Are The Wedding Websites?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.