Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,597 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers (16522 Views)

Ministerial Slots: The Battle Of Godfathers, Godsons (list) / 2019: Meet The New Powerful ‘godfathers’ Who May Shape Elections / 2019: Godfathers In Political Battles With Godsons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by dre11(m): 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
•In Delta, Okowa, Ibori are yet to reconcile after Oborevwori’s victory

•Fubara caught in the web of Wike-triggered post-election tension in Rivers

•No truce between Ayade, power brokers in C-River

THE reported ill feeling between the outgoing governors in the South-South region, and their godfathers over their successors, last year, has not abated despite that the handover to governors-elect is less than a month away.

In 2015, the former governor of Rivers State and ex-Minister of Transportation, Rt. Hon Rotimi Amaechi, now an All Progressives Congress, APC, leader, who conscripted the current governor, Nyesom Wike, into power did not see eye to eye with him later on, and never officially handed over to him.

By his actions and comments, Amaechi was visibly reluctant to hand over to Wike. His party was in the election petition tribunal, challenging the emergence of Wike as governor-elect. After failing in the courts to stop the inauguration of his successor, Amaechi stayed away from the eventual swearing of Wike. The governor revealed later that, “ I had no handover note.”

Okowa, Ibori are not yet back on talking terms

In Delta state, the ex-governor of the state, Chief James Ibori, has not candidly identified with the governor and his once-political trainee, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, since the victory of the governor-elect, Rt. Hon Sheriff Oborevwori.

Former governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, who is a leading player in the 2023 election in Delta state, has tried to reconcile most of the aggrieved PDP members in the state, but Saturday Vanguard could not find out the extent he has gone between Okowa and Ibori.

Uduaghan also had an issue with Okowa in 2015 because he did not initially support the emergence of the latter as governor, but they had since built bridges of understanding.

Neither Okowa nor the governor-elect, Oborevwori, have spoken on their present relationship with Ibori but from all indications, they still hold him in high regard.

A source hinted: “Ibori, who opposed the candidature of the governor-elect, Rt Hon Sheriff Oborevwori, has not spoken since he suffered a humiliating defeat in his home local government, Ethiope West on March 18.”

However, preparations for the handover to the incoming governor, on May 29, are on top gear in the state. The government has set up a 38-man inauguration committee with the responsibility to plan and execute the handover ceremony.

From the feelers, Oborevwori is not averse to those that decamped from the party during the elections returning to the fold, as he is open to working with all stakeholders in the Delta project, irrespective of party affiliation.
As expected, there are new political alignments as politicians try to assert themselves in the incoming administration.

Fubara caught in Rivers’ post-election tension

Eight years after the Amaechi/Wike handover brouhaha, Wike seems poised for a seamless handover to his most favored successor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara.

The political benefactor and protégé affair between Wike and Fubara is so strong that hardly any informed watcher of Rivers politics bothers that with May 29 so near, the government has not named a transition committee.

Wike, committed to a flawless handover was, however quick, just weeks ago, to order key officeholders of his administration to prepare their handover notes, stressing, “We will not engage in the ugly experience I had in 2015.”
By his actions and comments, Amaechi was visibly reluctant to hand over. His party was in the Election Petition Tribunal, challenging the emergence of Wike as governor-elect. After failing in the courts to stop the inauguration of his successor, Amaechi stayed away from the eventual swearing-in of Wike. At a time later, Wike disclosed: “I had no handover note.”

Though the governor-elect had made peace overtures, the post-election tension raging in the state attests to the reality that the perceived political enemies, mainly the estranged Rivers PDP faithful, who supported the presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, in the party crisis, and Rivers main opposition, the APC, under the leadership of Amaechi, are not buying Fubara’s olive branch.

However, with the full backing of Wike, arguably Rivers’ most powerful political force at the moment, Fubara will take over on solid footing come May 29, the multiple elections petitions at the tribunal against his victory notwithstanding.

No truce between Ayade, power brokers

In Cross River state, there is no reconciliation between the governor, Senator Ben Ayade, and the godfathers except for those in tandem with him in the plan to install the governor-elect, Senator Bassey Otu to take over from him.

Former governors of the state, Mr. Donald Duke and Senator Liyel Imoke, who handed over to Ayade in 2015; Senator Victor Ndomaegba, Professor Eyo Etim Nyong, Chief Edem Duke, and Chief Higins Peters and other political bigwigs are still on their own fronts.

The only sign of preparation for a change in government is the appointment of a Commissioner to take an inventory of all government property following the illegal acquisition of vehicles and other government assets by top functionaries.

The ugly trend started during the end of the first tenure of the Ayade administration in 2019 when top government officials, fearful of failing reappointment, claimed ownership of government property in their possession.

Official vehicles simply grew wings. Many functionaries flouted a directive by the governor that they should return vehicles and other official property of government in their possession to the office of the Chief of Staff.

Some sold the vehicles in their possession; others cannibalized and extricated vital components, and replaced them with fake and bad ones, while some simply turned theirs into scraps.

During the COVID-19 era, the government bought 100 vehicles handed over to government officials to monitor and help mitigate the spread of the scourge, but right now, all those vehicles have disappeared.

Against the backdrop of this shameful development on Tuesday, the governor swore in a new commissioner, Mr. Udiba Udiba as Commissioner for Asset Management and handed him a mandate to recover all government property from functionaries who have illegally appropriated them.

Speaking at the event, a visibly angry Ayade scrapped the Scrap Metal Regulatory Agency for collaborating with officials to claim functional vehicles were scraps, just for them to appropriate the vehicles.

“Cross River has a very sad story regarding assets remittances. They have often taken our assets away because we do not have an inventory of them.

“In this time and age, people still see government assets as nobody’s assets. As the government is winding down, they convert official cars, change number plates, and hide the cars from the government.

“Some people move from one Ministry to the other taking government assets. They disappear with assets and take them away,” he rued.

“Government vehicles are disappearing, if a vehicle has a small dent and is sent to a mechanic workshop, they will disappear from there. The government will buy official vehicles that are functional and somebody will seize them and say it is scrap.

Barely a few weeks to the end of the administration, the same or worse scenario is playing out. Most government vehicles have had their inscriptions removed, identification plate numbers removed, and many are no more seen on the streets.

However, there is no palpable preparation for handover in Cross River state, as neither the governor nor the governor-elect has made up any transition committee or team for handover or takeover.

In the past three weeks, the governor–elect has been out of the state. Some said he travelled, following the deluge of visits, demands, calls, and messages by those seeking an appointment.

The governor is reportedly planning to inaugurate a Transition Committee one week before the handover date. None of his officials spoke on the transition arrangement.

Story different in Emmanuels’s A-Ibom

The situation is not the same in Akwa Ibom state where the governor, Udom Emmanuel, started preparing for his handover in January 2023 when he appointed a 12-member Transition Committee tasked with the responsibility of ensuring a seamless transition and verifying all projects executed under his administration.

The committee chaired by Mrs. Ekerebong Umoh, on Friday, April 21, submitted its report to the governor during an enlarged State Executive Council meeting held in Government House Uyo. Similarly, in the past few months, Udom appears to be preparing his successor for the task ahead by allowing him to attend more strategic events, a development that has forced some people to speculate that he was in a hurry to leave office. Findings showed that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)reconciled power brokers and stakeholders, who initially felt hurt over the processes that led to the emergence of Pastor Umo Eno as the governorship candidate of the party, ahead of the campaigns.

This contributed to the successful outing of the party and Eno’s win, as they (power brokers) delivered their units, wards, and local government areas at large.

However, some party stakeholders still kick against Eno succeeding Emmanuel. For instance, a governorship aspirant, Mr Akan Okon has headed back to court to challenge the election of Eno.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/may-29-handover-cold-war-still-rages-between-s-south-govs-godfathers/

1 Share

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by kingphilip(m): 6:24am On Apr 30, 2023
All for selfish intents and purposes.

If the aggrieved are called upon and given a chunk of the state's resources, the cold war will turn to relative peace.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Igor33: 8:54am On Apr 30, 2023
All for their personal gains thieves but may God punish obaseki..

1 Like

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Okiton: 8:54am On Apr 30, 2023
angry

Their problem
It's none of my business
They betrayed themselves due to their selfish expected gain. The foolish Akpabio who stepped down for agbado with the hope of been compensated with the Senate Presidency has been invited again by the EFCC for questioning, a plot to truncate his ambition. the mumu Orji Uzo Kalu who were also dancing around the drug lord for Senate president position has been thrown one side like a trash he is.
Ifeanyi Okowa failed woefully on his vice president ambition.
Rotimi Amaechi name has been erase from political history, infact his existence doesn't matter to the APC.
Soon Uzodinjo will cry.
Wike will suffer the most

We pray God served them their own cup of tea till their eyes is clear

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by mytime24(f): 8:54am On Apr 30, 2023
We're watching with 6d
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Chibuzoc(m): 8:55am On Apr 30, 2023
This bastards are only united in sending the masses to abyss. None of them have the interest of the masses at heart fortunate for me, my leader is in dungeon for my sake.

God bless Mazi Nnamdi Kanu
God bless IPOB
God bless Biafra

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by ipobarecriminals: 8:56am On Apr 30, 2023
sad
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by manutdrichie(m): 8:57am On Apr 30, 2023
grin
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Danisaint112(m): 8:57am On Apr 30, 2023
Wether they are fighting a cold war or a hot war It doesn't concern Obidients. Our stand is this; "The true winner of the election should be declared by the court of law" which we know very well it is Peter Obi.

The people mandate must be reclaimed and the New Nigeria formed wether the vultures and the grillers sucking Nigeria dry like it or not. I am last man that will give up on the new Nigeria which I voted for (Peter Obi) neither will I ever accept Tinubu as my president.

Quote me with negative remarks if you are stupid. 😐

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:58am On Apr 30, 2023
South south is behind Tinubu

6 Likes

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by DesChyko: 8:58am On Apr 30, 2023
Their business really.

The time regular citizens take to engage in political shenanigans are their leisure time. Politics is not their jobs.

In Nigeria, when two political elephants fight, it is the ground that feed off them that suffers the most. That's why more often than not, their servants are morally depraved and not really loyal so as not to go down with the ship.

Regular citizens will still go about their regular business because even as the government is likely to underperform, two things are certain:
1. You will pay your bills.
2. You will pay your taxes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by inoki247: 9:00am On Apr 30, 2023
Lol make dem all migrate toe Sudan since dem wan experience real war. shocked shocked sad
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by bigdammyj: 9:00am On Apr 30, 2023
Noted.
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Koolface4u: 9:01am On Apr 30, 2023
All of them will be alright las las
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by IMASTEX: 9:02am On Apr 30, 2023
Make una rest, it's always about politics of who gets what irrespective of party or individuals. Zero interest for nation building.
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by AsomStructures: 9:03am On Apr 30, 2023
No doubt everything will come back to nolmacy in no time...

See our just concluded 3bedroom bungalow construction if you're about starting your building project.. Link in my signature. Plus we offer building designs and construction services nationwide
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Fashypearl(f): 9:04am On Apr 30, 2023
Let the war continue, at least the masses will be relieved.
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by tunjilomo(m): 9:04am On Apr 30, 2023
How I wish I could learn to read things I have no interest in.
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by HomorBj(m): 9:08am On Apr 30, 2023
Thieving politicians,see their heads,anu pama..Converting government properties for personal use,poverty of the mind.Who go save Nigeria like this, this is so sad

1 Like

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by AdolfHitlerxXx: 9:09am On Apr 30, 2023
grin grin grin

They better align with Tinubu...otherwise it is soaked bread and tea them go give them too like the coward chestbeaters grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Tribal: 9:12am On Apr 30, 2023
The South don't ever learn that Uniting the entire South is the most important KEY. We all need to do better in this Country.

Biglo008:
Good afternoon Nairalanders, pls I need your advice. I’m married 28 years, no children yet. Newly wedded, I have a problem. I don’t last long on bed. I cum very quickly and it takes a long time like 4 hours for me to get another erection and most times it’s not very hard like my first erection.

I was told the nitric oxide in my body is low. Pls I need help. How do I boost my nitric oxide in my body or if there are any supplements let me buy.

I’m afraid if I don’t do anything now my wife might eventually cheat in the future. I no longer have my morning erection like some guys do. I have exercise, did ginger, garlic, bitter Kola nothing seems to be working.

What can I do to remedy my situation. Pls no talk of hospital health wise I’m very okay. No diabetics or anything no infection pls help me so I can save my marriage and my myself.
Very pathetically pitiful that I didn't see the most Healthy Solution to this Problem despite my reading most of this Threads. This is why many men have been dying young recently, drugs to impress female.

The most Healthy Solution is for you to know that Man was not Created to alone do all the Works of Sexual Activity while the Female so Selfishly and wickedly lay like a Log of wood waiting for you to hump yourself to Death in trying to Satisfy her and stabbing you in the Heart by calling you a Weak Man just for not taking Drugs that allow Demons to take Control of your Mental Faculty. You have started the First Part which is Daily Exercise which would also ensure your Longevity, the 2nd is below.

After pre-intimacy when she has become very Hot, ALWAYS allow her to Climb on top of your Wonder Staff of Authority and LET her start the Thrusting up and down while you lay down and as disinterested as much as possible. Always insist that she Satisfy herself on you for the Minutes and Hours she wants even when she Complains of being tired tell her that you are enjoying it and she should Continue.

By the Time she has become very weak, you can then put your finger on her Clit as you rub it and another hand on her Nipple and tell her to still Continue thrusting up and down. This would make her to approach Orgasm already. By the time you finally Turn her to now start your own Thrusting as you Target hitting her G -Spot, she would Orgasm fully and cook the Best food for you that day as her Champion and lord.

ALWAYS Remember, DON'T Ever take Drugs to satisfy anybody! You will be killing Yourself small small and cutting off Years from the Ripe Age that you have been Destined to Live on Earth if you depend on Drug as your LORD and SAVIOUR for stupid myopic self-destructive Sexual boasting.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by dododawa1: 9:12am On Apr 30, 2023
If you are not POlITICIANS,don't involve yourself with them.useless people
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by CivilianJTF(m): 9:14am On Apr 30, 2023
Issokay
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by marlow1962(m): 9:14am On Apr 30, 2023
Mtchew
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Captainero: 9:18am On Apr 30, 2023
You are very incorrect about Amaechi conscripting Wike into power.
Let me educate you a little.
Firstly? while the k-leg saga that replaced Rotimi Amaechi with kins man Sir Celestine Omehia were in court, Amaechi went into a self imposed exile to Ghana. It was Wike that mobilized resources and manpower that removed Omehia and Amaechi was sworn in. He compensated Wike with the position of the chief of staff. Meanwhile Wike has earlier ruled for two terms as the chairman of the most populated local government in Rivers state, Obio Akpor.
After the first tenure of Amaechi, he started seeing the fast rising profile and popularity of Wike his Chief of staff and decided to send him out of the state as a state minister in Abuja. We all know the rest of the story.

Secondly, Wike holds 99.9% of his party's state structure and he has dissolved the campaign council which performed very well for his successor and inaugurated a 250 man transition/handover committee. He also announced the appointment of a new Rivers state independent electoral commission chairman in the person of Retired Justice Adolphus Enebeli.

Conclusively, Wike is ending very well more than the other South governors.
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Houseontherock1: 9:19am On Apr 30, 2023
They'll sort themselves out
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:27am On Apr 30, 2023
DesChyko:
Their business really.

The time regular citizens take to engage in political shenanigans are their leisure time. Politics is not their jobs.

In Nigeria, when two political elephants fight, it is the ground that feed off them that suffers the most. That's why more often than not, their servants are morally depraved and not really loyal so as not to go down with the ship.

Regular citizens will still go about their regular business because even as the government is likely to underperform, two things are certain:
1. You will pay your bills.
2. You will pay your taxes.
Re: Cold War Still Rages Between South-South Governors, Godfathers by Lifewasgood: 9:30am On Apr 30, 2023
If not for his own selfish reasons while would Ibori want to install a governor in Delta State, a state he ruled from 1999 - 2007.

Okowa wouldn't want same fate of what happened to Ibori(him, his wife and lawyer being jailed after he left office) to fall on him so it was a must for him to choose a successor that can cover his tracks and that breaks Ibori's hold in delta.

Na all man for himself in ITT(international thief thief) politics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tribunal: Why Atiku’s Application For Live Coverage Must Be Rejected – Tinubu / Crisis Hits Lagos PDP As Jimi Agbaje Allegedly Sidelines Party / Why Buhari Does Not Write Letters – Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.