Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa (791 Views)

89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2023
It has become very disappointing and tragic with the economical collapse of the nation and the failure in Educational sector in the country. Most of the Nigerian universities and now ranks well below 30 in Africa and it is really becoming disappointed.

https://www.socialcapitalgateway.org/content/ranking/top-100-universities-and-colleges-africa

https://www.eafinder.com/top-200-universities-in-africa/

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by nairalanda1(m): 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2023
I have been seeing this headline 'Nigerian universites fail to make top 10 Africa' for over 20 years self.

But let's sit down and think

University of Namibia, their fees is 213000 naira.

Cape town university fees is 776000 naira per annum..no 1.

Then UI fees for 2023/24 is between N25000-80000 naira per annum.

And you ask why this matters?

You need money to build good facilites, pay for good labs, good libraries, pay for decently run hostels, pay for power, pay for maintenance costs and so forth.

It is even a miracle UI is at this level self.

But when this is pointed out to nigerians...they will cry 'WE ARE POOR'.

So we keep on underfunding our universites every year.

You want good universites....PAY FOR THEM.

So, let's stop grumbling and start paying up...individuals and government. And yes, I hate saying this.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 5:48pm On Apr 30, 2023
Extremely disappointing and chaotic.

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by nairalanda1(m): 5:52pm On Apr 30, 2023
SUFFERInSMILIIN:
Extremely disappointing and chaotic.

So, pay the fees and the taxes needed to make them number one.

Vote for governments that would diversify our economy so that we can have enough money to supplement income from raised fees and taxes for our universites.

This ain't our granddady's and daddy's days when universites had only 3000 students and there were less than six of them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by Mindlog: 5:56pm On Apr 30, 2023
Quality education involves good funding and detailed planning.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by viktagorion: 6:00pm On Apr 30, 2023
Covenant, Babcock and the likes are not there? Even with the fees?

Interesting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by Chinjo2: 6:03pm On Apr 30, 2023
No wonder Nigeria students goes to Sudan to acquire Education. Shame on APC government and a bigger shame on all their supporters

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by nairalanda1(m): 6:04pm On Apr 30, 2023
viktagorion:

Interesting.

Relatively new universities, without much of a research imprint.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by nairalanda1(m): 6:06pm On Apr 30, 2023
Chinjo2:
No wonder Nigeria students goes to Sudan to acquire Education. Shame on APC government and a bigger shame on all their supporters

Nigerian students go to Sudan, Ghana, Cyprus, Turkiye, US, UK , Canada, and other universities oversea because the number of students wanting a university education is higher than the number of spaces available in our universities, especially the cheaper government ones. Been like that for a very very long time.

That's why Obasanjo when he was in power allowed the establishment of private universities, and partly why GEJ built 6 new universities, and even this outgoing APC admin is churning out licenses for universities.

Even then, it is not enough. Our large population makes matters worse.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by Zonefree(m): 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2023
Shey when LASU and their VC were celebrating production of bread, una dey here dey hail and hype them...how do you expect to top the list when something like bread production is a big deal in Nigerian universities

Useless country!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by Zonefree(m): 6:25pm On Apr 30, 2023
Mindlog:
Quality education involves good funding and detailed planning.
And bread production, right?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by HappyPagan: 6:33pm On Apr 30, 2023
Wow...

Bet we have more prayer warriors and fellowships on our campuses though... Solving spiritual problems.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by HappyPagan: 6:35pm On Apr 30, 2023
viktagorion:

Interesting.
School no be fine building and grass. I withdrew from CU in me second year, I joined to become engineer, dem wan turn me to pastor... best descision I ever made.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by Opintiwa: 6:36pm On Apr 30, 2023
Bola Ahmed Tinubu will rank us as the cocaine university of the world
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by 9jahotblog: 7:37am On May 01, 2023
Not good enough, Buhari government destroyed education sector throughout his 8 years in power. Very bad
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by Simeonjoe1: 8:01am On May 01, 2023
Lies. Nigeria university makes top 500 world ranking
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by magoo10(m): 8:02am On May 01, 2023
Buhari and his sycophants dont care .
good governance is not their priority
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by KingOKON: 8:05am On May 01, 2023
Any Nigerian schooling in any university in Africa is not serious
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by MasterJayJay: 8:07am On May 01, 2023
Strike here, strike there. Lecturers follow cause am.
It is only in Nigeria that a lecturer will brag that no student will get an A in his course.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by christejames(m): 8:29am On May 01, 2023
And we wonder why some states govt are sponsoring students to study in Sudan 🇸🇩?
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by RepoMan007: 9:03am On May 01, 2023
Yet FG just released N300B to them plus ASUU money and normal education budget.

Every should sit at home and be reading handouts now.
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by hrykanu231(m): 9:29am On May 01, 2023
nairalanda1:
I have been seeing this headline 'Nigerian universites fail to make top 10 Africa' for over 20 years self.

But let's sit down and think

University of Namibia, their fees is 213000 naira.

Cape town university fees is 776000 naira per annum..no 1.

Then UI fees for 2023/24 is between N25000-80000 naira per annum.

And you ask why this matters?

You need money to build good facilites, pay for good labs, good libraries, pay for decently run hostels, pay for power, pay for maintenance costs and so forth.

It is even a miracle UI is at this level self.

But when this is pointed out to nigerians...they will cry 'WE ARE POOR'.

So we keep on underfunding our universites every year.

You want good universites....PAY FOR THEM.

So, let's stop grumbling and start paying up...individuals and government. And yes, I hate saying this.

I beg to differ with your submission, however, this is not negating the validity of your thoughts as conceived by you.

In my opinion, we are majoring in the minor. For instance, how much does the National Assembly consume and why are we not channelling all those funds into education either through student loans or proper renumeration for lecturers and all?

The person you want to pay high school fees, his/her parents earn less than 50k per month.

Furthermore, even the current funding system of public universities is not transparent. Wonder why a former VC of a big school was recently charged to court by EFCC? Trust me, the corruption there needs to studied as a thesis.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by nairalanda1(m): 1:45pm On May 01, 2023
hrykanu231:

I beg to differ with your submission, however, this is not negating the validity of your thoughts as conceived by you.

In my opinion, we are majoring in the minor. For instance, how much does the National Assembly consume and why are we not channelling all those funds into education either through student loans or proper renumeration for lecturers and all?

The person you want to pay high school fees, his/her parents earn less than 50k per month.

Furthermore, even the current funding system of public universities is not transparent. Wonder why a former VC of a big school was recently charged to court by EFCC? Trust me, the corruption there needs to studied as a thesis.

Then stop complaining about how bad our universities are then.

You cannot get world class on scanty money, (before we even talk about corruption).

Either we pay for world class, or we keep quiet. And yes, I know about how poor we are. But at the end, universites, good ones, cost money. Too much money.

What we pay for is what we get. 25 billion naira cannot give you world class...more like ten-twenty times that, then we can talk. And since we are in your opinion too poor to pay for world class, then let our universites remain poor.

And stop telling me stories about this or that corrupt VC, because what they are stealing, while a lot, is not going to make our universites world class. Their stealing is criminal BECAUSE they are stealing from a very small and impoverished pot of money.
Re: Nigerian Universities Failed To Make Top 25 In Africa by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 11:13am On May 03, 2023
viktagorion:

Interesting.

Anybody which is talking about fees is the Nigerian illiteracy mentality they know nothing look at university of Ghana and other universities some of them have free fees but they much higher rank. Even if you pay a lot of fish with the Nigerian mentality they will use the money to build houses and broad

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Post Ume For Futa And Oau / Yawa For Atbu / Why Cambridge A/level Winning With Diploma Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.