Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,498 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Is The Reading Culture Dead? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is The Reading Culture Dead? (245 Views)

Read Nigeria Project: Second Edition – Group Photograph Taken After The Reading / Which Book Are U Reading? / Reading Habits You Shouldn’t Take Into The New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Draslo(m): 7:52pm On May 01, 2023
For a couple of years now, I've been in and out of writing a fictional story. A wonderful book that will let my imagination run wild with the plethora of information stored in my inferior parietal cortex. I have a phobia that I could end up wasting my time because of the ever growing digital age. I mean, I grew up reading my dad's newspapers everyday. By the time I got to my teens, I was buying my own newspaper if my dad wasn't around. These days we get all our news online(fake and real) and people hardly read it thoroughly, thereby assimilating only half baked information.
I recently watched the tv series Shadow and Bones seasons 1 and 2. It was a very deeply interesting watch. I went to read more about it online to find out when the next season would be out. I instead found out that the story is actually a trilogy and also a book by Leigh Bardugo. Now, just like the Harry Potter books, we nerds know that the storyline in the books isn't generally the same as the movies. It was the same with Shadow and Bones. They even have a cult following just like Harry Potter did.

I've gotten some inspiration but I'm still a little skeptical. I want a story that's like that, a trilogy or even a series like Harry Potter but I'm scared people don't read again. I even thought about writing a script but I prefer a book.
What do you think?
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Natbrowny: 8:06pm On May 01, 2023
Reading culture is dead. I still read books tho. Crime books, sabi open my head to things. Lol.

I own a store where i rent story books and novels to Primary and Secondary students at cheap price.

U pay, select a book. Take home or wherever. Read and return.. Na parents dey bring kids come meet me. Even beg me to ask questions when they return it.. So its confirmed they actually read it.

See parents o.. I always telll them its their job to ask the questions. So kids can really be serious.

I wish i get WHO and UNESCO backings.

Reading is life
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Draslo(m): 8:27pm On May 01, 2023
Natbrowny:
Reading culture is dead. I still read books tho. Crime books, sabi open my head to things. Lol.

I own a store where i rent story books and novels to Primary and Secondary students at cheap price.

U pay, select a book. Take home or wherever. Read and return.. Na parents dey bring kids come meet me. Even beg me to ask questions when they return it.. So its confirmed they actually read it.

See parents o.. I always telll them its their job to ask the questions. So kids can really be serious.

I wish i get WHO and UNESCO backings.

Reading is life
It is, my brother. I just find it funny that importance is still very much attached to libraries even when it is just a tiny percentage of people that actually use it
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Septagon: 8:36pm On May 01, 2023
Quite dead and buried truly.i sell Hadley Chase novels,ask me how many customers i have ever sold to.
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by illicit(m): 10:26pm On May 01, 2023
In comatose
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Draslo(m): 10:36pm On May 01, 2023
Septagon:
Quite dead and buried truly.i sell Hadley Chase novels,ask me how many customers i have ever sold to.

I think the reason people still write books is in the hope that they can be adapted into movies.
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Natbrowny: 10:40pm On May 01, 2023
Draslo:

It is, my brother. I just find it funny that importance is still very much attached to libraries even when just a tiny percentage of people that actually use it

Most libraries are just a building with books. No substance, no creativity, no encouragement to even read, no competition.

Libraries are good when used properly. Some libraries now be like photoshoot studios. Zero usage, zero orientation
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Draslo(m): 10:46pm On May 01, 2023
Natbrowny:

Most libraries are just a building with books. No substance, no creativity, no encouragement to even read, no competition.

Libraries are good when used properly. Some libraries now be like photoshoot studios. Zero usage, zero orientation
Photo studios are still raking in big bucks. Some women bill their partners up to 30k just for birthday shoot. Pictures that they will only collect the digital forms to post on sm for just one day. Sorry, I'm ranting
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Natbrowny: 10:49pm On May 01, 2023
Draslo:

Photo studios are still raking in big bucks. Some women bill their partners up to 30k just for birthday shoot. Pictures that they will only collect the digital forms to post on sm for just one day. Sorry, I'm ranting

U aint ranting. I'm just saying libraries r like photo studios in the sense that they r fine as shit with dope shelves and books that r nt even worthy to be on a shelf.

Book selection matters. Library fine and u still see encyclopedias of 1999 only, no updates and dictionary dats obsolete. Some with computer systems dat doesn't work but library fine die. grin
Re: Is The Reading Culture Dead? by Draslo(m): 10:56pm On May 01, 2023
Natbrowny:

U aint ranting. I'm just saying libraries r like photo studios in the sense that they r fine as shit with dope shelves and books that r nt even worthy to be on a shelf.

Book selection matters. Library fine and u still see encyclopedias of 1999 only, no updates and dictionary dats obsolete. Some with computer systems dat doesn't work but library fine die. grin
Just like the Library of Congress, the world's largest library. I'm sure since it's inception, it has never been filled to capacity. I'd choose visiting it over vacation to the Caribbean.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Ghostwriters. / Let's Proofread Your Writing, Books And Your Future / Cover Lover: What Facebookers Have Been Up To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.