Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment (6893 Views)

UK Nurses To Hold First Strike In History Over Salary Increment / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / Doctors To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over NUC’s PhD Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by fergie001: 8:13pm On May 01, 2023
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, has described as absurd the demands being made and the ultimatum issued by the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors to the Federal Government.

Ngige said the Government had given the doctors everything they wanted, adding that their sense of entitlement was “too much.”

NARD had on Saturday given the Federal Government two weeks to meet its demands or face industrial disharmony.

The doctors are demanding an immediate increment in the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure to the tune of 200 per cent of the current gross salaries of doctors.

The doctors also want the immediate withdrawal of the bill seeking to compel medical and dental graduates to render five-year compulsory services in Nigeria before being granted full licence to practise.

They also want the immediate implementation of CONMESS, domestication of the Medical Residency Training Act and review of hazard allowance by all the state governments as well as private tertiary health institutions where any form of residency training is done; among others.

But speaking on Arise Television on Monday, Ngige said the doctors’ demands were absurd, adding that they had the option of leaving the country.

The Minister said, “If the NARD, who we have been managing their matter…We are giving them everything they want, including their Medical Resident Training Fund; we are paying them, even when in training, paying them full salary, paying them all the allowances and you decided that we have not done enough. Like I said before, you have an option to go. It is left for the education ministry and the health ministry to fashion out what they can do.

“You asked that a bill by one of the members of the House of Representatives be removed and that is one of the reasons you want to go on strike. How can the government tell a member who has done a private member’s bill… It is not even an executive bill, you now release it as one of the conditions of going on strike; that is absurd!

“The entitlements syndrome, the sense of entitlement is too much in this country and like I said earlier, you obey the law you look odd, you apply the law, you look odd or you are a wicked man. I don’t have any apologies for whatever I have done in the management of trade disputes.”

But reacting to the minister’s statement, NARD said every association deserved the right to ask for a salary increment.

Speaking with The PUNCH, the Secretary-General of NARD, Dr Chikezie Kelechi, said, “We do not have an entitlement mentality and our demands are not absurd. Every association deserves the right to ask for an increment in salary.

“The Medical Residency Training Fund has been there and has been paid about three times now. It is paid once a year and it was approved in 2017 and did not take effect until about three years ago. Even those three years, every time it is paid, there is a threat of a strike. The government does not ordinarily want to pay and these monies are appropriated but there is this unwillingness to pay. Every year, there has to be a threat of strike for them to pay.

“We are tired of getting the Government to do what they are supposed to do naturally. The first round of update courses for the year has been done, the first round of exams for the year has been concluded and these monies were not paid. So, what is he saying?

“A fund has been provided in the budget but somebody is not willing to pay as and when due. It is not proper. When has demanding our rights become an entitlement mentality? When he said the government is providing everything we need, what exactly is being provided?

“The Consolidated Medical Salary Structure was approved in 2009 but did not take effect until 2014 and it was meant to be reviewed in five years but it started implementation in the next five years. We are in 2023, the salary structure has not been reviewed despite the inflation.”

Also, the President of the association, Emeka Orji, said doctors’ demands had been long overdue.

“We have not gone on strike for some time now because we are considering Nigerians but this particular ultimatum is about Nigerians and if you want to be sincere you will know that there is brain drain and it is affecting the functionality of our hospitals.

“People who visit public hospitals know that the quality of services has reduced, there is cancellation of surgeries and people are dying. We can’t wait until the system collapses, yet nobody has come out to address these issues or dispute it,” Orji said.

SOURCE

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7672935/sense-entitlement-syndrome-nigeria-too

2 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by God1000(m): 8:16pm On May 01, 2023
He should kindly resign and allow someone else more competent than him to run that ministry

4 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Massiveglory: 8:35pm On May 01, 2023
"No country can progress if it's POLITICS is more profitable than its INDUSTRIES. In a country where those in government are richer than entrepreneurs, they manufacture poverty".

- Peter obi , the people's presido

A new Nigeria is POSSIBLE.

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Seyilov(f): 9:13pm On May 01, 2023
Okay
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:33pm On May 02, 2023
Make dem kill 9ja, there are other PARSATAL which are not half treated like u people. U people are part of Worries, next is ACADEMICIANS [ASUU,ASUUPP &CO].
go to this FED & STATE HOSPITALS these people are not on seats, those ones on seat refer you to their own private institutions.
State Doctors n nurse worse pass. Government is not our problems, our people are the root which gave branches leaves like our Leaders. If not doctors na lecturers & teachers , na only dem dey ?
I was in this system for YEARS, so I am sure of what I am saying [sometimes I reckon on guilt mind]. Make dem rest jare.
So they want to bequeath this to the incoming government to distract what has bn planned ahead ? NLC and it likes are selfish bodies.
Let new Government have fresh breathe n life from AFRESH!

Why I don't give a SHIT? I took that Risk

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by taylor88(m): 12:34pm On May 02, 2023
Nigeria is too populated

Let’s divide and go our ways

Nigeria can never be better as one because of tribalism and religion

To worsen it all Yakubu Manhood forcefully imposed a mad criminal that his fingers can’t hold a pen to sign let alone holding a cup of water

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by WiszyFraud: 12:35pm On May 02, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by HONESTFACT101(m): 12:35pm On May 02, 2023
ppl who are supporting ngige is somewhat daft, imagine going through the stress of schooling only to work in a white environment with white pay and yet the politicians keep growing fat on the economy.

4 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by JackDaAlienz(m): 12:36pm On May 02, 2023
What of native doctors?

3 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by amnesty7: 12:39pm On May 02, 2023
grin
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by tesppidd: 12:41pm On May 02, 2023
These doctors sef, nor be only una dey this country oohh..

Well sha, it's not their fault..

Every association should fight their own fight..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by blueghost(m): 12:57pm On May 02, 2023
You won't blame them in a way, they are ready to work but the health infrastructure and amenities are not provided.

4 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by SMARTMOTORS(m): 12:59pm On May 02, 2023
Una even get strength to reply that short man that lives in Musin

2 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Gaabasky: 1:00pm On May 02, 2023
Who is not tired of this country? The only people enjoying the country are politicians and their beneficiaries.
I prayed the new govt will make a positive changes

3 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Jhonnydurgs: 1:09pm On May 02, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
What of native doctors?
Haha 😂 that one sef day oh
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Bouncin(m): 1:12pm On May 02, 2023
As much as I acknowledge that our government is ridiculous, I want to also state clearly here that these doctors are also to greedy with so much of entitlement mentality. They want the world from the government because they are doctors and can always go on strike.
These same people will come back to fight any other health profession seeking for a good ground in the health sector.
If you leave these greedy lots, they will want to work alone in the hospital or better still be the only people earning in hospital while others just work.
Spits on their bleeping faces

7 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by jeffsummers(m): 1:51pm On May 02, 2023
pls everyone on nairaland, i am apealling to you all. pls can anyone help,me with 1k, just 1k nothing more than that. i am very very hungry, i havent eaten since saturday last week. At least let me get something to eat today, so i can have energy to go out and look for money or hustle. PLS SAVE A HUNGRY BROTHER
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by jeffsummers(m): 1:54pm On May 02, 2023
fergie001:

SOURCE

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7672935/sense-entitlement-syndrome-nigeria-too

pls everyone on nairaland, i am apealling to you all. pls can anyone help,me with 1k, just 1k nothing more than that. i am very very hungry, i havent eaten since saturday last week. At least let me get something to eat today, so i can have energy to go out and look for money or hustle. PLS SAVE A HUNGRY BROTHER
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Alliswell248: 2:12pm On May 02, 2023
Massiveglory:
"No country can progress if it's POLITICS is more profitable than its INDUSTRIES. In a country where those in government are richer than entrepreneurs, they manufacture poverty".

Empty noise as usual.
Medical Doctors and lecturers were on strike for 13 months when your 'Messiah' was Governor.
Go and verify.
Over hyped politician.
Nigerians lodged a bullet.
Try again in 2039.
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by horpeyemmi66(m): 2:28pm On May 02, 2023
And they are expecting people not to Japa, even people in 100L are already learning what it requires to write USMLE/ORE/LDS/PLAB/LMCC/ADC and this nonsen.se minister who ironically is a Doctor is here saying this tras.h.

Saving human lives is what being a Doctor is about, it mustn't be Nigerian lives, I intend to be Patriotic but from a very long distance off.

And the most fooli.sh thing they could come up with is working for 5 years before one can leave, very silly people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by stuffs2002: 3:22pm On May 02, 2023
Massiveglory:

Same Pandora criminal who was stealing over 250 million Naira in suite cases every month from the accounts of Anambra state 2hile he was governor?

Same Pandora criminal who used his daighter's name to steal billions from Anambra while he was governor?

Same Obi who is also known as Mr. Poverty after he took Anambra poverty level from 25% to 68%

Same Pandora criminal who used Anambra money 5o invest in his family busines in the brewery industry.

Same BIGOT Obi who was sacking IGBO workers who are not indigenes of Anambra from Anambra civil service.

Same BIGOT Obi who never awarded any contract to Anambra indigenes who are non catholics?

Same BIGOT Obi who was deporting northerners out of Anambra?

Same BIGOT Obi who was preaching religious war upandan during the last elections ?

Same Pandora criminal who was arested , detained and deported like a common criminal from the UK?

Only a very wicked IPOB will wish such a disaster as Obi on Nigerians

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by jaephoenix(m): 4:47pm On May 02, 2023
Bouncin:
As much as I acknowledge that our government is ridiculous, I want to also state clearly here that these doctors are also to greedy with so much of entitlement mentality. They want the world from the government because they are doctors and can always go on strike.
These same people will come back to fight any other health profession seeking for a good ground in the health sector.
If you leave these greedy lots, they will want to work alone in the hospital or better still be the only people earning in hospital while others just work.
I know this one is either a lab scientist, pharmacist, nurse etc. Your hate is noted. But I hope you know your association has also been striking, I would like to hear what you would say when next you strike. I guess you read where the NARD head said they would have gone on strike way back but considered Nigerians. But that didn't stop you from expressing your hate. No doctor said you shouldn't agitate for your right

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Picardor2: 6:51pm On May 02, 2023
God1000:
He should kindly resign and allow someone else more competent than him to run that ministry

No one is taking up the job becos ones employed ur part of resident drs
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by Picardor2: 6:55pm On May 02, 2023
Bouncin:

Am not a doctor buh am sorry u sound like a fool. Other health workers has the right to ask also for increment. What's ur business with Drs. Fight ur own and leave them alone for what they ask for is genuine. Get sense oga
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by taiwolomo1: 10:18pm On May 02, 2023
Bouncin:
johesu spotted! grin
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by connkg(m): 10:50pm On May 02, 2023
NARD only? I expect NANS here. All professionals whose fees were subsidised should NOT leave the country. The government also must provide jobs for the physiologists, physiotherapists, political scientists, botanists, educationists, engineers and lawyers. All must work for the government to verify pay back.
Any government worker who goes abroad for any service that could be rendered by these professionals should be made to part with an equivalent of his 2years' pay, to the National Association of whatever professional body.
We can even back date this...
Re: Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment by SweetBuns(f): 6:56am On May 03, 2023
Bouncin:
Try getting the mbbs degree and see if they aren't worth that and more.
It's safe to say you know nothing about what you are talking about.
You think being a doc is all about wearing lab coat and stethoscope

(1) (2) (Reply)

Types Of Breastfeeding / Enugu Conducts Mass Meningitis Vaccination For Children / How To Cure Stroke With Nigeria Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.