Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age (6225 Views)

May Day: NLC Rejects 35% Pay Rise, Insists On Living Wage / Buhari To Igbo Leaders: Your Demands For Nnamdi Kanu's Release Is Heavy / NLC Demands Outright Cancellation, As Buhari, NASS Delay Electricity Tariff Hike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by DesChyko: 11:12am On May 02, 2023
Something that should be reduced further.

Do the Math. If Nigeria as a country churn out 200,000 graduates per year; within one's 30 years of being in service, the country would have churned out 6 million graduates.

What is the fate of those who are not self employed and do not find a space in the numerous private enterprises struggling to survive this clime?
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:14am On May 02, 2023
TenQ:

See how you have turned this into a fight between
The Job Applicant VS The Employed Civil Servant

The Government is the enemy bro: if they had not mismanaged the economy, you think Jobs would not be available for the applicants and the employed looking forward to their retirement!?they should work til death if that be the case...

so the Job applicant doesn't deserve govt protection abi... Let NLC clamour for working til death since govt is the enemy as u notes...
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by samcolee(m): 12:10pm On May 02, 2023
sammirano:
While french people are protesting the increase in retirement age Nigerians are fighting for it. Who do Africa this thing
Even if we work for 100yrs or till death based on the current wage most civil servants won't be rich lols
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by samcolee(m): 12:13pm On May 02, 2023
TenQ:

Because they know that their pension and gratuity is enough to take care of them till they die.
Even at 65years of age, the Nigerian civil servant is hopeless of his future.
true even if they work till death nothing comes out
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by frankflix: 12:20pm On May 02, 2023
madridguy:
The French people have been on protest, destroying properties simply because of the new propose pension reform bill which would increase the retirement age from 62 to 64 years old but here in Nigeria workers want the government to allow them to work additional 5 years before they retire.

Las las life no balance.

Over there in France, they are sure of getting their retirement benefits so the want to enjoy the last days of their lives While in Nigeria you are not sure getting anything even after 3years of retirement, instead the head of pension board director or MD will steel N20b and the court will send him to 5 years of VIP treatment in prison without the option of returning the stolen Money
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by xjiggy: 12:29pm On May 02, 2023
There was serious riot in the whole of France ystday to protect the retirement age being moved from 62 to 64 yet we are hustling for more years in 9ja because we prefer to die on the job rather than retire.
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by Reference(m): 12:30pm On May 02, 2023
Definition of irony.

In France the battle is against the increase in the retirement age which will make citizens work harder for a good life in retirement, a nation committed to it's post service promises.

In Nigeria on the other hand they are pushing against government for increase in retirement age because the pension system is crap and so the average civil/public servant can have enough time to feather his nest.

The kind of heists that muck up the country's finances making so called pensions of no real value.
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by writeprof(m): 12:49pm On May 02, 2023
It's well When public workers abroad are protesting against increase in service year from 50+ to 60+

In the midst of mindboggling unemployment...and churning out of graduates in their thousands every year
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by Haveyoueatentod: 1:03pm On May 02, 2023
Kobicove:
If you people don't want to leave then how do you expect fresh graduates to get jobs? undecided
all graduates mustn't work in government agencies
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by TenQ: 1:27pm On May 02, 2023
samcolee:
true even if they work till death nothing comes out
The average pension in Nigeria is between N30k and N60k. For any public servant that collects a salary of N80k to N200k, its better to remain a worker!
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by Blackman101: 3:18pm On May 02, 2023
i am a public servant and against 65 years in government service.

what labour should be fighting for
1. Minimum wage should 100k
2. Staff Contribution to pension fund should be 35% of monthly salary
3.Everybody over 30years in service should be retire.
4.Harmonization of HND qualification to degree
5. mandatory training course for staff every year
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by Tats(m): 3:18pm On May 02, 2023
onyxo76:
65 years ,when most of them have already removed 10 years from their true age, that 65 year old will be almost redundant at work and still be blocking young and vibrant people from getting employed.

This is the true state of things. The only issue is that those who declared the correct ages will be affected. People start working too late in Nigeria. in most developed societies, they usually start working after graduation at about 22 years, so with a long career and no long break or unemployment, would have worked for upwards of at least 35 to 38 years by the time they are 60. They also want to travel the world at Retirement.

There is really no retirement age in many such countries but then they declare their real ages, are still productive at over 60 years and are not so much blocking spaces for the younger ones due to low unemployment.
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by Simpubozz(m): 11:07pm On May 02, 2023
The one wey dey pain me past na my pension. I dey see money inside pension account and I not fit collect am. Shey na until wen person reach 60 before I go fit get access to am? I don’t even understand how the whole pension thing work. My company dey remit but I no fit collect cry
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by samcolee(m): 8:40am On May 08, 2023
TenQ:

The average pension in Nigeria is between N30k and N60k. For any public servant that collects a salary of N80k to N200k, its better to remain a worker!

I can't work more than 35yrs , some of those that want to keep working their roles are not stressful
Re: Workers’ Day: NLC Demands For 65 Years Retirement Age by TenQ: 10:19am On May 08, 2023
samcolee:

I can't work more than 35yrs , some of those that want to keep working their roles are not stressful
I doubt if workers ALL want to spend 35 years working, However the problems are
1. Inflation rate causes savings to be useless both for upkeep and for utilities
2. The Business environment in Nigeria is extremely harsh and unpredictable. The probability of a civil servant's business succeeding is close to Nil.
3. The pension payable is pitifully small
4. Availability of getting other jobs is virtually zero. Even young Nigerians are finding it difficult getting good jobs.

All these make it easier for a civil servant to want to extend his service years till he is even above 70 years old as long as he is not sick

(1) (2) (Reply)

Multi-billion Naira Mansion Of Adams Oshiomhole Revealed. / Dangote's Committee Raises N11bn For Flood Victims / Achebe, Okonjo-Iweala Among Top 100 Global Thinkers In 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.