Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,154 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board (35523 Views)

Tinubu’s Ministerial Gyrations Fail To Inspire By Punch Editorial Board / Buhari Has Set Traps For Tinubu – Shehu Sanni / Femi Fani-Kayode Cartoon Image By Punch Reposted By Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by grandstar(m): 4:32pm On May 02, 2023
lexy2014:

why are you expecting too much /fro/m Tinubu? didnt he say he will continue from were buhari stopped? is it not APC to APC? what are you expecting to change or get better?

What else would he say? You don't want him to ascend office? It is only when he is on the hot seat you can tell his true colors.

Do you think Kwankwaso would have picked Ganduje if he knew what kind of person he was?

Tinubu hates many of Buhari's policies and this he has expressed both subtly and openly many times.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by orisa37: 4:39pm On May 02, 2023
nsiba:

Tinubu that isn't sure of seeing another day talk less of him being President

YOU ARE A SATANIC GUINEA PIG. GOD DOES NOT TAKE KINDLY TO YOUR KIND OF PRAYER.
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by emmaodet: 4:43pm On May 02, 2023
DeLaRue:

Inflation in Lebanon is over 250%. Today, bread in that country costs 50 times as much as it did 3 years ago.

That's the equivalent of buying a N500 loaf of bread for N25,000.

250% of 500 is 1,250. So the bread that cost 500 in Lebanon 3 years ago will cost 1,250 now
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by DeLaRue: 5:05pm On May 02, 2023
emmaodet:

250% of 500 is 1,250. So the bread that cost 500 in Lebanon 3 years ago will cost 1,250 now

You are wrong. My statements about inflation and the price of bread in Lebanon are 2 separate facts.

1. Inflation (across their economy ) is currently above 250%.

2. The cost of bread is 50 times what it was 3 years ago. So, if the price was 10 Lebanese pounds 3 years ago, it is now 500 (10 x 50). In a Nigerian context, a N500 bread today would cost N25,000.

That's the Lebanese reality right now. Previously comfortable people are now scavenging for food.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by wonder233: 9:28pm On May 02, 2023
Read what I wrote correctly. The last 4 presidents are Yar'adua, Jonathan, Buhari and now Tinubu. The sick ones are Yar'adua, Buhari and Tinubu. That is what 3 out 4 means.
Boyooosa:

....and competent (I help u to add that to your list)

In fact, to me, it's the most important

Sorry, I forgot to inform you to remove Jonathan from your sick list
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Boyooosa(m): 10:27pm On May 02, 2023
wonder233:
Read what I wrote correctly. The last 4 presidents are Yar'adua, Jonathan, Buhari and now Tinubu. The sick ones are Yar'adua, Buhari and Tinubu. That is what 3 out 4 means.

Tiny u is president elect not president

Mw,it's cool that u align with the fact that competence is very important as a quality
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 11:00pm On May 02, 2023
grandstar:

What else would he say? You don't want him to ascend office? It is only when he is on the hot seat you can tell his true colors.

Do you think Kwankwaso would have picked Ganduje if he knew what kind of person he was?

Tinubu hates many of Buhari's policies and this he has expressed both subtly and openly many times.

which still leaves the questions unaswered.

why are you expecting too much from Tinubu?

didnt he say he will continue from were buhari stopped? is it not APC to APC?

what are you expecting to change or get better?
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 11:01pm On May 02, 2023
Boyooosa:

Mw,it's cool that u align with the fact that competence is very important as a quality

which competence and quality?
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Ibrahimmufutau: 11:05pm On May 02, 2023
Ihateheadslamer:
Bola Ahmed Tinubu is a cocaine sniffing vagabond tongue
Use ur gramas well calling a Tinubu ' vagabond' u don't know the meaning of queen English words, ur a down to earth ignorant. Go to English language tutorial class in order to polished urself in modern English language. Stupid child of hate a. k.a the waillers.
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by grandstar(m): 11:51pm On May 02, 2023
lexy2014:

You sound very naïve! So, you believe lime , sink and sinker every word politicians say.

OBJ when departing in 2007, sold the refineries. Shehu YarAdua upon assuming office reversed the sales.

OBJ saved about $20b in the Excess Crude Accounts. YarAdua opened it and most of the money was spent. Did PDP not follow PDP? Was it not OBJ that installed YarAdua in probably the most rigged elections in since 1999?

For instance, he has said he will make the Naira value market reflective again. That alone is probably the biggest departure from Buhari policies.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 12:01am On May 03, 2023
grandstar:

You sound very naïve! So, you believe lime , sink and sinker every word politicians say.

OBJ when departing in 2007, sold the refineries. Shehu YarAdua upon assuming office reversed the sales.

OBJ saved about $20b in the Excess Crude Accounts. YarAdua opened it and most of the money was spent. Did PDP not follow PDP? Was it not OBJ that installed YarAdua in probably the most rigged elections in since 1999?

For instance, he has said he will make the Naira value market reflective again. That alone is probably the biggest departure from Buhari policies.

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by grandstar(m): 1:09am On May 03, 2023
lexy2014:

Did I ever say I was expecting so much from Tinubu? He is a man like myself.

Any of the 4 main presidential candidates had more to offer than Buhari. I had already written off Buhari within his first month in power in 2015.

What Buhari has left for Tinubu to tackle is monstrous. The man has left a financial mess. A trained economist on this forum said Nigeria might even need to approach the IMF for a bailout. The country spends 96% of its revenue on debt servicing. So, basically every dime spent on salaries and development projects is being borrowed. The recent minimum wage increase will be with borrowed funds.

Tinubu has a poor understanding of economics but not as bad as Buhari. However, Tinubu has show a fondness of employing technocrats. At this point, only the very best will do.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 1:43am On May 03, 2023
grandstar:

Did I ever say I was expecting so much from Tinubu? He is a man like myself.

Any of the 4 main presidential candidates had more to offer than Buhari. I had already written off Buhari within his first month in power in 2015.

What Buhari has left for Tinubu to tackle is monstrous. The man has left a financial mess. A trained economist on this forum said Nigeria might even need to approach the IMF for a bailout. The country spends 96% of its revenue on debt servicing. So, basically every dime spent on salaries and development projects is being borrowed. The recent minimum wage increase will be with borrowed funds.

Tinubu has a poor understanding of economics but not as bad as Buhari. However, Tinubu has show a fondness of employing technocrats. At this point, only the very best will do.

when you wrote this, is this not about expectation?

grandstar:

What is deeply worrying is that the incoming president has kept mute despise the going on. He should have out rightly rejected the increase in the minimum wage and and that it isn't binding on the his government. Let his government decide.

He should have argued that the present government already spends 96% of government revenue on servicing debt, so there's basically no money to pay the salary increase. If there's going to be a salary increase, it would be very inflationary and that inflation will eat away at any increase in real terms. As economic naïve as the citizens are, they do associate increase in the minimum wage with inflation.

When the Abdulsalaam Abubakar administration attempted to sell off 40% of NEPA, NITEL and other government owned companies in 1999, OBJ said he would not recognize any sale and this put off their partial privatization.. Tinubu should take a cue from this.

if you say he will recruit technocrats, is that not expectation?

how does employing technocrats guarantee success?

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by wonder233: 5:07am On May 03, 2023
Of course competence is very important. It is the first thing to look out for. Other factors are also equally important because they will determine if the candidate will succeed on the job. The ideal candidate must have all the qualities. It is a top job, having one or two of the qualities is not enough, the candidate must have ALL. I recruit for my organisation, small as it is, we ensure the eventually successful candidate meets all the criteria. So I don't know why a country's most important job will now be based on sentiments.
Boyooosa:

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Putinofrussia: 5:26am On May 03, 2023
helinues:
Nigerians elected his Excellency Bola Tinubu because they believe in his ability to solve issues.

Tinubu is the most prepared candidate ever not just in this year election but in all the Nigeria past presidential election.

I believe in Tinubu's capabilities, he should be allowed to make the difference without unnecessary distraction
I believe in God,I believe in Tinubu's capacity to deliver positively too.
We shall overcome.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by gaskiyamagana: 6:37am On May 03, 2023
Ihateheadslamer:
E pain am.
Wailing wailer till second coming of Jesus Christ.
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by nsiba: 7:33am On May 03, 2023
orisa37:

YOU ARE A SATANIC GUINEA PIG. GOD DOES NOT TAKE KINDLY TO YOUR KIND OF PRAYER.

Criminals
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Boyooosa(m): 7:57pm On May 03, 2023
wonder233:
Of course competence is very important. It is the first thing to look out for. Other factors are also equally important because they will determine if the candidate will succeed on the job. The ideal candidate must have all the qualities. It is a top job, having one or two of the qualities is not enough, the candidate must have ALL. I recruit for my organisation, small as it is, we ensure the eventually successful candidate meets all the criteria. So I don't know why a country's most important job will now be based on sentiments.

Well, if u will agree with me, in your company, u set prerequisites for applicant and it's based on what you do and what the applicant know, his experience and his expertise in the field as may be relevant to the job he seeks in your organization.

Politics is the only platform you can become an elected leader (president precisely) in a democratic setting and mastering it is compulsory and not optional.

So, one of the topmost qualities you need to emerge as a leader is your political proficiency, if you consider this factor, tinubu is the first candidate to consider and that was exactly what gave him that victory.

Talking about other qualities that could make him sustain the seat and perform effectively, he has it. The only challenge I'm aware of is his health not the brain.

I wish he could get over it, I am believing that he will perform.

Remember, gej was perfectly healthy and last last, he did not give us what we expected so, definitely, health can never be the only requirement to perform brilliantly
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Boyooosa(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
lexy2014:

Present your point
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by tammie24: 8:17pm On May 03, 2023
Ihateheadslamer:
is that all?
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 8:25pm On May 03, 2023
Boyooosa:

Present your point

Enquiry:
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Boyooosa(m): 9:14pm On May 03, 2023
lexy2014:

Enquiry:

Competence as a quality. Quality of being capable to lead among other leadership skils
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by wonder233: 9:26pm On May 03, 2023
What exactly does "political proficiency" mean? This is not a game. It is not a sport nor an entertainment show. We are talking about the lives and destinies of over 200m people. The person the people should trust with the top job should meet ALL the criteria. That is my advocacy via this forum. You want to gloss over a factor as important as physical fitness for the job all because you feel duty bound to "defend" your candidate. It is this kind of blind loyalty and side-taking that has kept this country like this. This "us vs them" needless fighting over tribes and religion benefits no one but the politicians. But you obviously don't care about all that.
Boyooosa:

Well, if u will agree with me, in your company, u set prerequisites for applicant and it's based on what you do and what the applicant know, his experience and his expertise in the field as may be relevant to the job he seeks in your organization.

Politics is the only platform you can become an elected leader (president precisely) in a democratic setting and mastering it is compulsory and not optional.

So, one of the topmost qualities you need to emerge as a leader is your political proficiency, if you consider this factor, tinubu is the first candidate to consider and that was exactly what gave him that victory.

Talking about other qualities that could make him sustain the seat and perform effectively, he has it. The only challenge I'm aware of is his health not the brain.

I wish he could get over it, I am believing that he will perform.

Remember, gej was perfectly healthy and last last, he did not give us what we expected so, definitely, health can never be the only requirement to perform brilliantly
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Boyooosa(m): 10:26pm On May 03, 2023
wonder233:
What exactly does "political proficiency" mean? This is not a game. It is not a sport nor an entertainment show. We are talking about the lives and destinies of over 200m people. The person the people should trust with the top job should meet ALL the criteria. That is my advocacy via this forum. You want to gloss over a factor as important as physical fitness for the job all because you feel duty bound to "defend" your candidate. It is this kind of blind loyalty and side-taking that has kept this country like this. This "us vs them" needless fighting over tribes and religion benefits no one but the politicians. But you obviously don't care about all that.

REALITY is when u agree that mastering politics is the only leverage to reach your peak.

Attaining the position of a top banker, u need to understand banking industry.

To become a General, u need to master the act of 'soldiering'.

To stay consistent as a billionaire, u need to master the act of building business empire, that is the exact reference I made to 'political proficiency', a high degree of skills in politics

My point is, without being conversant with political game, u won't attain ur peak-career in politics.

Yeah, I agree with you that we need more than that in Nigeria as it is but there is always a basic prerequisite for every field of endeavour.

Close eyes to tinubu's health, then rate him again, against other contenders.

Remove me from the scenario in your judgement, I'm not a tinubu advocate, just examine him on your own
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 4:44am On May 04, 2023
Boyooosa:

Competence as a quality. Quality of being capable to lead among other leadership skils

I didnt ask you to tell me what it is. I asked "which competence and quality" were you referring in your comment?
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by wonder233: 6:19am On May 04, 2023
Sorry, I won't "close my eyes to Tinubu's health". It is too important a factor for me to close my eyes to. I want someone who has it ALL, and I know it is possible to get that someone. But folks like you are so tied to the apron strings of your tribes, religion and blind party loyalty that you won't let that happen. It is a shame you're openly canvassing on a public forum why we should accept less than desirable, ttying to sound intelligent in explaining away mediocrity in our leadership selection. It is a shame truly
Boyooosa:

REALITY is when u agree that mastering politics is the only leverage to reach your peak.

Attaining the position of a top banker, u need to understand banking industry.

To become a General, u need to master the act of 'soldiering'.

To stay consistent as a billionaire, u need to master the act of building business empire, that is the exact reference I made to 'political proficiency', a high degree of skills in politics

My point is, without being conversant with political game, u won't attain ur peak-career in politics.

Yeah, I agree with you that we need more than that in Nigeria as it is but there is always a basic prerequisite for every field of endeavour.

Close eyes to tinubu's health, then rate him again, against other contenders.

Remove me from the scenario in your judgement, I'm not a tinubu advocate, just examine him on your own
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by Boyooosa(m): 7:44am On May 04, 2023
wonder233:
Sorry, I won't "close my eyes to Tinubu's health". It is too important a factor for me to close my eyes to. I want someone who has it ALL, and I know it is possible to get that someone. But folks like you are so tied to the apron strings of your tribes, religion and blind party loyalty that you won't let that happen. It is a shame you're openly canvassing on a public forum why we should accept less than desirable, ttying to sound intelligent in explaining away mediocrity in our leadership selection. It is a shame truly

Lols
Interesting that u don't even know me nor have the idea of my mindset for leadership. You even don't have idea of my taste for leadership, you can't just assume that everybody that doesn't speak in favour of your ideology or opinion is less human, we assess things from different perspectives and that shouldn't make us enemies if we need a great nation...all we need to be discussing and establishing is a superior argument, no offence

I've never been a bigot and I will never be, I can bring out my posts here that has described me in this light. I've condemned political and tribal bigots here in my own words, even when we have common tribal backgrounds. So, I can categorically disapprove your assumption about me on that with proofs.

However, we run a frail political system. Unfortunately, it's dominated by greedy, clueless and unrepentant sharks, so who am I, a non-partisan to determine who emerges party's presidential candidate?

Initially, I was more of a Moghalu person, I preferred osinbajo when he fell apart.

For your information, I did not vote for Tinubu in this past election but we need to see the good part of him and only be hopeful....Nigeria seems irredeemable already
Re: Buhari Lays ‘booby Traps’ For Incoming Government; By Punch Editorial Board by tishbite42: 8:23am On May 04, 2023
DeLaRue:
That 40% salary increase was shocking. The questionable agreements the current government is rushing to sign are befuddling.

We need fiscal and monetary tightening to bring our debt profile to a sustainable level, not reckless spending.

Reckless spending = more debt, more debt = increased chance that we default on repayment, default will = crash of the naira to well over N1, 200 to $1. To put things in context, the Egyptian pound lost 50% of its value in 2022 alone. Don't think Naira cannot do the same.

Naira crash = hyper inflation which will finally turn the economy upside down and deliver us into the clutches of the IMF like Ghana, Sri Lanka, Argentina, Egypt, and Lebanon.

Inflation in Lebanon is over 250%. Today, bread in that country costs 50 times as much as it did 3 years ago.

That's the equivalent of buying a N500 loaf of bread for N25,000.

All because they failed to manage their economy properly. I hope Mr Tinubu and his advisers learn from what is happening in these countries.

He needs to declare a debt state of emergency as soon as he gets in and do the following:

1. Temporary ban on salary increases
2. Ban on certain infrastructural projects for 2 years - e.g no new major road construction should be approved. Let's do patching for now
3. Orasanye report or a revised version should be implemented. Many agencies should be abolished or merged
4. Sell off non performing refineries that are still gulping tens of billions annually
5. Get rid of the hundreds of APC hangers-on now swirling around him. If tolerated, these gluttons will be the ruin of this country.

In the mean time:

1. Channel resources into education - elevate university infrastructure, keep agreements made with lecturers, and help our schools produce graduates that can compete on a global level.

2. Increase import duty exponentially on non-essential reckless imports that are destroying the value of the naira. I don't understand why my local supermarket has 4 different types of almond milk. 10 years ago, nobody had heard of almond milk, and we survived. India, Singapore, China etc have these targeted taxes. Nigeria should double - down on high import taxes on certain goods.

3. Spend on improving efficiency in public service delivery.

A few years ago, registering a company was complicated and in many cases required bribing CAC staff. Today, the process is as smooth as butter because the entire process has been moved online and bribery has been eliminated. The efficiency gains are massive. This approach should be adopted across all government departments. It will significantly reduce if not eliminate certain types corruption, at very little cost.

4. Pay down our debt.

5. By the end of year 2, start loosening the purse strings again, but more responsibly than the current govt. Paying down the debt significantly will help to stabilise the Naira, and help Mr Tinubu to start investing in priority infrastructure again. New roads, better schools, well-equipped hospitals etc

Instead of immediate salary increases, he should consider removing all those earning N40, 000 or below from paying any income tax. This will help a large portion of struggling salaried people without causing as much inflationary spike as unrestrained salary increases will do.

We need to take a short term pain for long term prosperity. There are no short cuts.
Una don start again
Na so Buhari take talk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gunmen Behead Superintendent Of Police 'Agbalagba' In Aba, Abia / Appeal Court Stops Saraki’s Arrest / Aisha Buhari's Interview With BBC: Reno Omokri Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.