Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Nigerian Science Fiction Novel: Unique Descendants. Pls guys,I need your reviews - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian Science Fiction Novel: Unique Descendants. Pls guys,I need your reviews (335 Views)

Pls Guys I Need A Short Play For Primary School Pupils / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / Purified Tomorrow: The Mad Awakening (A Science Fiction) By Akinjide Akintayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Science Fiction Novel: Unique Descendants. Pls guys,I need your reviews by Valley96(m): 3:01pm On May 03, 2023
Good Day Nairalanders.

We Nigerians love Sci-fi Movies, but unfortunately, we ourselves are not able to produce such Movies (at least, to the point of having a global appeal) due to its high financial demands, Or the complexity involved in writing the stories they are derived from.

Nevertheless, we still do have the potential to dabble in the Science fiction world.
So, generally, my goal is to promote Science fiction to Nigeria's Book and Movie Industry, and at the same time, promote Nigeria to the world in those same industries, just like it has been perfectly done with our Music industry.

To that effect, I have spent the past 6 years, writing and developing a Sci-fi book series with a global setting, but this time around, would be having its most important events centered in Nigeria.
(Total current word count in the book series Universe is 325k words.)

Although the dedicated time spent brainstorming and writing all that has cost me to remain financially troubled, stagnant and unstable in the career world, I believe its results would be worth the sacrifices, struggles, and effort I have put into it.

However, as we don't yet have a market for sci-fi books in Nigeria, I am in the process of seeking an International literary agent that will represent my book and push it to global reaching publishing firms.

With the little bit of global recognition it could garner, I hope Nigerians will be willing to bring the Sci-fi series into their system.

So, my two ultimate goals for the Sci-fi series in Nigeria are:
1. For it to be read in our secondary and tertiary institutions. Most especially by our science students.

2. For it to be adapted into a sci-fi Movie and Film series (hopefully filmed in Nigeria) that would propel and prompt Nigerians into knowing that we are also capable of producing such intellectual books and movies too.

On that note, I would be pasting the first 2,500 words of the book I'm currently seeking to publish, in order to get your reviews and feedback.
Kindly tell me what you think about the short sample of my work.
I'm open to all types of criticism, complaints, and suggestions on the book, including my goals, and ideas.

I think this is my first time posting on Nairaland, so, I'm not certain how to get this shared widely.
Nonetheless, I wish those that can see this post would indulge my long ass write up by responding to it.
So here it goes:

Book Title: Unique Descendants

• Genre: Science Fiction & Young Adults.

• Word Count: Approx. 67k words.

• Target readers: Teens & Young Adults.

• Themes: Alien invasion, Superhumans, Genetic engineering, Memory manipulation.

• Plot Settings: - Location: Lagos, Nigeria & Europe. Timeline: Present.

• One sentence blurb: Unique human descendants of an Alien, trying to stop their Alien Ancestor from sabotaging the human race enough for his planet's people to easily invade Earth.

…Beginning of Manuscript’s first 2,500 words.

Rescue Angel / Rescued Angel.

Smack! Smack! Smack!
I feel a couple stinging slaps on my face, and through something in my ear, I hear a girl’s voice, hissing, while shaking me to wake up.

Eyelids fluttering open, I gazed upon worried eyes in a transparent masked helmet.

“Wake up and fly!”, she suddenly snarls at me as she leaves me alone in mid-air.

I fall from the sky through clouds, the rushing air sounding like lullabies to my ear.

This feels like a lucid dream, because, why else should I be falling through the skies?

So, turning over to face the Earth below, I give into the feeling and let myself glide.

This was a dream, but damn, I was descending too fast, fast enough to end up squashed if this was real.

‘Up! Up! Up!’ I think and shout at myself, trying to control my free fall, but to no avail.

I guess lucid dreams can’t be controlled with words, but then … why not thoughts?

Now, I’m having second thoughts as to whether this is actually a dream.

The frightening feeling of this makes me panic, and so, I lose control

Twirling uncontrollably through the air, I see three parachutists above me.

But as I wonder who they were, I see one of them abandon their parachute’s safety.

“Damn!” It was that same girl. Could she just be coming to strike me again?

Against all thoughts, now I wish I could descend faster.

But then, she was streaking towards me like a spear, so definitely, she reaches me.

Hooking her hands round my shoulder from behind, she steadies me as we fall.

“Fly Chimere!” she commands, almost pleadingly, “… or we both Die.”

‘Chimere,’ it seemed that was my name, but somehow, I didn’t even know that.

About the ‘DIE’ part, was she serious?

Of course, such a thing was meant to go through one’s mind in this kind of scenario.

Especially when experiencing yourself plunging at terminal velocity towards death.

If this was real, this should be the point where my life starts flashing before my eyes.

But no, it didn’t. Instead, it was a memory loop of nothingness.

No lifetime memories, just another reason this could only be a bizarre dream.

This sure would be an exciting way to die in a dream, but in reality, not so much.

If this was reality, looking at the bright side, at least I would get to leave my mark on this world.

Not that doing so with my bones and blood splattered around my ground zero point of impact is actually my first choice.

The thought of it genuinely makes me shudder even amidst the hot rushing wind.

Best case scenario, I wake up from this dream with only a mild heart attack.

Worst case scenario, this free fall is really happening, and so, I end up creating a new tourist attraction for this country I don’t even know.

I imagine the placard would say, ‘HERE_LIES_THE_CRATER_MADE_BY_CHIMERE (Whatever my last name is) -– THE HUMAN METEORITE’.

Miracle case scenario, this girl above, tormenting me to fly ever since, becomes an Angel herself and saves us both.

Speak of God’s gift to mankind. No! No! God’s gift to me.

She did sprout wings, not the birdy kind with feathers, but the glider techy type.

And with her wings, this Dark Angel struggled to slow our descent to a glide.

With frenzied might, she strained herself to hold onto me while trying to slow us down.

But still, we kept descending, fast enough to still form a human greasy spot upon impact.

“1,000 meters left!” she said as I twisted around to see her pretty face one last time.

“Fly Chimere!’ she pleaded again, her eyes now looking teary. ‘It’s now or never!’

Fly? I still don’t understand how she expects me to do that.

The only thing I could feel on me was this nice strangely textured uniform I wore.

Dream or Reality, at least I was going down in style.

900 meters mark … Adrenaline kicks in.

800 meters … Might as well go down; ‘Knight in shiny armor style’.

700 meters … I wriggle out of her hold, causing her to smile in relief.

600 meters … I guess she thinks I was about to fly and save us both.

500 meters … At least, I could try saving one of us.

400 meters … ‘Take care, Dark Angel!” I say to her.

300 meters … I push the confused girl upwards with more strength than I thought I could muster.

200 meters … Final panic, I accept this is real, and so would my death be.

100 meters … A last will to live, my brain somehow, instinctively wills the hot air to cushion my fall.

Ground Zero … BLACKOUT.

Strongly Sick / Sickly Strong.

Chimere woke up to see himself in what appeared to be a sick bay, a sophisticated one at that. All around the small hall of a room were several sick beds arranged in two columns and numbering over twenty. In particular sections of the sick bay were exhibited different forms of medical equipment and cutting-edge looking machines that probably served a purpose he couldn’t quite make out from their designs.

Trying to sit up from the middle row bed he lay on, he felt some things on his chest tug at him till he sat upright. The off-putting things appeared to be a couple of medical electrodes attached to different parts of his body with tube-like cords that stretched out and connected to a machine beside his bed, and as it seemed, was there to measure his vital signs.

Just then Chimere made out footsteps approaching where the entrance door was located at one end of the sickbay. There were three distinct footsteps, but only two people came in, while it seemed the third person stayed back as he could make out the person now peering through the window blinds.

Cheerfully bouncing towards him were the pair that had come in, one a girl, the other a guy, and two of them dark skinned just like he was. Both of them looking unfamiliar, he found it strange that they approached his bedside while grinning widely at him as if he knew them. They probably were in the same age range as him, as they looked like they were in their mid-twenties too.

“You finally woke up,” the girl smiled as she stopped by the left side of his bed. “That’s a relief. You gave us quite the scare there, Chimere.”

Chimere’, that name sounded familiarly new to him, and just like that he remembered, but just like that, almost nothing came flooding back. He now remembered he couldn’t remember who he really was. Neither could he remember his past, every moment before the few minutes prior to his sudden blackout. This pair here were acting like they knew him, and they probably did, but then, he felt it self-preserving not to be totally trusting immediately, at least till he could verify what happened to him.

“Talk about enjoying an indefinite leave while we are here working our asses off,” the boy playfully frowned, bumping his fist into Chimere’s shoulder as he came to stand at the right side of the bed. “You better recover your memory very soon, because I’m about to go crazy trying to handle these two girls all by myself.”

“I presume the other girl you mean is the one staying back behind the window,” Chimere said, looking at the shadowed outline of the person peeping through the window blinds. “Why won’t she come in?” he asked the pair.

“She’s staying back probably because she thinks she won’t be able to control herself when she confronts you,” the boy shrugged.

“From crying for joy?” Chimere asked with raised eyebrows.

“Heck no!” the girl laughed heartily. “She’s staying back to hold herself from beating you up. You gave her quite a scare during you guys fall,” she reported. “Plus, you went ahead to remain knocked out for three days.”

“Really?” Chimere gasped in shock. “I’ve been passed out for three days‽”

“Well, technically,” the boy said. “You were just in a coma for the first day, and from there, you shifted into a very deep sleep throughout this past two days.”

“It almost felt like you had gone into hibernation,” the girl sighed in relief.

‘An extra three days of blank memories’, Chimere thought to himself. He needed to find out what happened to him, but he couldn’t really determine much with the little information he had gotten. However, he thought it best to figure the facts out without making them feel like he wasn’t trusting them completely.

Why he was reasoning this way he couldn’t tell. The only explanation was to be the kind of person he was before he lost his memory. As it seemed, he might have been a very cautious person. But then, somehow, he was feeling at home with these two as if he had previously grown to trust them both. Basically, if these two were out to harm him, then they could have done so ever since.

“You both are … siblings?” Chimere hesitated in asking, unsure.

“Actually, we are more than that,” the boy chuckled.

“Twins?” Chimere guessed with more certainty.

“Yeap,” the girl smirked.

“And I’m the elder one,” the boy said with a fanciful air of superiority.

“Only by a minute,” the girl huffed at him.

“Still enough to claim the title of Elder,” the boy winked at her before turning back to Chimere. “I’m Panyin Asare, and this my younger sister is …”

“Kakra Asare,” the girl completed, eyeing her twin brother.

“For you to have noticed our resemblance,” Panyin squinted at Chimere. “I guess your brain functions has recuperated to a good extent.”

“We look nothing alike,” Kakra suddenly fumed.

“She denies that because she feels it means she has masculine features,” Panyin smirked. “Plus, they say I’m more handsome than she is beautiful.”

“You see, that’s the problem there,” Kakra grumbled, complaining to Chimere. “Unlike most girls would claim their brothers look like bull dogs, I instead admit to him that he is handsome, and he decides to lord it over me every time,” she fumed as Chimere watched her, not sure if she was being playful or not.

“You admitted it because you know if I looked like a bulldog, it meant you too looked like one,” Panyin lolled his tongue at her.

“We are fraternal twins!” Kakra shrieked. “Not identical twins!”

“Actually, you both do look alike,” Chimere chimed in. “Almost identical.”

“Not you too!” Kakra snarled at him. “I thought you would side with me now that you’ve lost your memories,” she grumbled at the confused Chimere.

“I’ve told you this before,” Panyin said. “Show them the soft part of you, and they might start treating you like a girl. Keep trashing them during spars like only a boy easily can, and they would treat you like their fellow boys instead,” he shrugged.

“But how would I stop them from trashing me instead, when I feel if they look at my face, they get to see you too, and subsequently your strength,” she grumbled. “Because of that, they always spar with me like I’m you.

“That’s your fault for making them believe we are both equal,” Panyin huffed.

“Just allow yourself grow a full beard like a man,” Kakra sneered at Panyin. “Girls will like you more that way,” she grinned sinisterly. “And then, maybe the boys will start to see and treat me like a girl,” she said, almost dreamily.

“Grow a beard? Maybe later on in life,” Panyin huffed. “For now, there are more important things that demand my attention,” he said. “All of our attention for that matter,” he reiterated.

“Damn the cursed gene that was potent enough to make fraternal twins look like identical twins,” Kakra growled in mock vexation.

Chimere on his own part, had just kept watching the twin’s interaction, absorbing whatever information he could in the meantime. Among the things that piqued his interest was the spars they mentioned, and the fact that, whatsoever kind it was, the Kakra of a girl was dominating other boys in it.

“You worry about people seeing you as masculine, yet you try to match up with me in every single thing,” Panyin abruptly growled at Kakra. “Always wanting to show we are equal.”

“Hey! That’s neither fair nor true,” Kakra gasped, genuinely looking hurt. “We are both a tag-team, so I always have to match up with you for us to fight better,” she sulked, suddenly sounding soft and more feminine. “Now you’re making me look like I’m contesting superiority with you against nature,” she pouted with a timid expression.

“If I may speak,” Chimere said, surprised by Kakra’s sudden soft character. “You’re kind of too pretty and even cute not to be able to draw girly attention for yourself, whether or not you best the boys,” he let himself say, having succumbed to the desire to do something to make her feel better, despite the risk of another backlash from her.

“That would have been the case if she hadn’t successfully emulated Eniola in being fierce and commanding an intimidating presence,” Panyin said, coming around to Kakra’s side and hugging her into his chest like a little girl.

“One day I will surely come across someone that is not intimidated by me, apart from you two,” Kakra said, still pouting. “As far as there is already one person that can’t be intimidated by Eniola even as fierce as she gets, then why not me?” she puffed, releasing herself from her brother’s embrace.

“If you keep on emulating Eniola, then good luck with that,” Panyin smirked. “You care for girly attention, but Eniola doesn’t, and that’s why she doesn’t mind every one of us being intimidated by her.”

“Does that mean you both get intimidated by her too?” Chimere perked up.

“Yeah, sometimes,” Panyin shrugged.

“Wow!” Chimere gasped, wondering how intimidating the Eniola of a girl could be. “So, who is this one person that doesn’t get intimidated by her?” he asked, curious.

“You’re the one, dumbass,” Kakra sneered at him.

“Hmm?” Chimere looked up at the twins, confused.

“You are the only one she doesn’t seem to be capable of intimidating,” Panyin affirmed.

“Huh?” Chimere hummed, looking more bewildered. “You both already seem to intimidate me somehow, so how come not her too?” he asked, very confused. “Wait! We are not like a … thing, are we?” he asked, wide eyed in disbelief.

“Like a couple you mean?” Kakra raised an eye at him. “Like any of you two would ever admit feeling special affection for someone,” she laughed heartily.

…End of Manuscript’s first 2,500 words.

I would appreciate if you drop me your thoughts on what you've read so far... Thanks. smiley
Kindly share if you find it interesting.

Re: Nigerian Science Fiction Novel: Unique Descendants. Pls guys,I need your reviews by Martinsmine(m): 10:49pm On May 03, 2023
You need to do so many corrections in your words please.. put that to consideration
Re: Nigerian Science Fiction Novel: Unique Descendants. Pls guys,I need your reviews by Valley96(m): 7:44am On May 04, 2023
Martinsmine:
You need to do so many corrections in your words please.. put that to consideration

Do you mean spelling corrections?
Can you point out a few, please?

(1) (Reply)

Black Green Red / A Letter To The Taurean (april 21st - May 20th) / Duty Calls [Tales From Treeland]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.