Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,605 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. (2107 Views)

Sold: 2011 BMW 7 Series V12 For Sale / PRISTINE Mercedes-benz CL65 V12 AMG.. Asking N7,500,000 / 2010 Mercedes CL65 AMG Coupe 6.0-liter V12 Biturbo (4d Chairmen) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Silentgroper(m): 4:16pm On May 05, 2023
I heard they refer to the engine and the amount of plugs connected to it..

so a v6 engined car has 6plugs connected to it like 3 on the left and 3 on the right, right??

secondly do they determine how fast a car can go ??

Heard v12 cars are insanely fast . for example your Lamborghinis and all..

1 Like

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by RoadMozart(m): 4:39pm On May 05, 2023
They refer to the number of cylinders. There are some cars that are v6 but have more than six plugs. Like the Benz c240 that is V6 but has 12 plugs.
Silentgroper:

so a v6 engined car has 6plugs connected to it like 3 on the left and 3 on the right, right??

Not all v8 can run faster than v6... They might have more take off power and faster acceleration but they're not necessarily faster. You can't compare a v8 toyota sequoia to a v6 venza

9 Likes

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by iyke4dbi: 4:53pm On May 05, 2023
The more the spark plugs the faster the car. The following engines are in existence and are consider the common ones and are as follows
1. W16 (16 spark plugs and cylinders) and is usually seen in Bugatti’s
2. V12 (12 spark plugs and cylinders) seen in Mercedes and Royce rolls and so Bentley
3. V10 (10 spark plugs and cylinders) seen in Audi R8
4. V8 (8 spark plugs and cylinders) seen in almost our cars (Toyota’s, Lexus and so on)
5. V6 (6 spark plugs and cylinder) seen in almost all car brands.
And finally straight 4 cylinder engine with four plugs. These one are the fuel efficient ones with 20 litres of fuel you can travel and come back without fueling the car immediately.
What determines how fast a car is the number of spark plugs and cylinders. That is to say that a w16 is faster than all the v12,v10,v8,v6 and straight 4 engines. Although, a small engine like straight 4 engine can be made to be powerful by using turbocharger and super chargers. Volkwagen, Audi and Mercedes are good with that kind of technology.

12 Likes

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by buygala(m): 5:15pm On May 05, 2023
Some v6, v8 and v12 vehicle engines are built mainly for low end torque i.e the capacity to pull stuff like flatbeds, caravans, navigate very rough terrain, etc.. Examples are the FORD F series trucks, Toyota Tundra and even the Lexus GX470...

As per the GX 470, I speak from personal use.. Despite its being a V8, I wouldn't say its 0-60 acceleration is better than a 2010 Honda Accord v6 I owned earlier.. But where it really shines is in very rough terrain.. It delivers so much smooth power to its wheels at low Rpm to navigate very rough terrain.. I haven't used it to tow anything tho..

The Lambos and Porsche Saloons are the among the ones whose large engines are built for lightening acceleration and speed..

That's not to say the likes of the Ford F series, Toyota Tundra and Lexus GX470 aren't fast either.. Their 0-60 acceleration might not be as fast as even a v6 2010 Accord, or even a 2007 Accord v6, but they go fast enough at insanely low Rpms.. I remember doing 180km per hour on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway with the GX470 Rpm sitting steady at around 1.5k Rpm... Vehicle was wound up with Ac on, and it was as if I was rolling down one street in my area looking for chicks to toast grin

12 Likes

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by RoadMozart(m): 5:18pm On May 05, 2023
buygala:
Some v6, v8 and v12 vehicle engines are built mainly for low end torque i.e the capacity to pull stuff like flatbeds, caravans, navigate very rough terrain, etc.. Examples are the FORD F series trucks, Toyota Tundra and even the Lexus GX470...

As per the GX 470, I speak from personal use.. Despite it's being a V8, I wouldn't say its 0-60 acceleration is better than a 2010 Honda Accord v6 I owned earlier.. But where it really shines is in very rough terrain.. It delivers so much smooth power to its wheels at low Rpm to navigate very rough terrain.. I haven't used it to tow anything tho..

The Lambos and Porsche Saloons are the among the ones whose large engines are built for lightening acceleration and speed..

That's not to say the likes of the Ford F series, Toyota Tundra and Lexus GX470 aren't fast either.. Their 0-60 acceleration might not be as fast as even a v6 2010 Accord, or even a 2007 Accord v6, but they go fast enough at insanely low Rpms.. I remember doing 180km per hour on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway with the GX470 Rpm sitting steady at around 1.5k Rpm... Vehicle was wound up with Ac on, and it was as if I was rolling down one street in my area looking for chicks to toast grin

One of the super powers of v8. Having low revs at crazy speeds
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Silentgroper(m): 5:27pm On May 05, 2023
RoadMozart:
They refer to the number of cylinders. There are some cars that are v6 but have more than six plugs. Like the Benz c240 that is V6 but has 12 plugs.
Not all v8 can run faster than v6... They might have more take off power and faster acceleration but they're not necessarily faster. You can't compare a v8 toyota sequoia to a v6 venza

Amazing. I used to think the higher the amount of plugs the faster the car ..

.so is there a V10 car??
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Silentgroper(m): 5:30pm On May 05, 2023
iyke4dbi:
The more the spark plugs the faster the car. The following engines are in existence and are consider the common ones and are as follows
2. V12 (12 spark plugs and cylinders) seen in Mercedes and Royce rolls and so Bentley
4. V8 (8 spark plugs and cylinders) seen in almost our cars (Toyota’s, Lexus and so on)
And finally straight 4 cylinder engine with four plugs. These one are the fuel efficient ones with 20 litres of fuel you can travel and come back without fueling the car immediately.
What determines how fast a car is the number of spark plugs and cylinders. That is to say that a w16 is faster than all the v12,v10,v8,v6 and straight 4 engines. Although, a small engine like straight 4 engine can be made to be powerful by using turbocharger and super chargers. Volkwagen, Audi and Mercedes are good with that kind of technology.
how are the plugs calculated. half of it on each side of the vehicle shey??
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by buygala(m): 5:30pm On May 05, 2023
RoadMozart:

One of the super powers of v8. Having low revs at crazy speeds

Most healthy v6 engines also have low Rpms at high speeds, especially if they go into overdrive, though not as low as the V8s...

One sleeper v6 anyone should be beware of is the 2007 Honda Accord v6.. That car in a healthy state will dust a lot of healthy V8s...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Silentgroper(m): 5:31pm On May 05, 2023
iyke4dbi:
how are the plugs calculated. half of it on each side of the engine shey??

btw I saw 10 plug engine in an old Mercedes .. some mlx /MLS model like that
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by iyke4dbi: 5:33pm On May 05, 2023
One spark plug per cylinder
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by iyke4dbi: 5:34pm On May 05, 2023
One per cylinder
Silentgroper:
how are the plugs calculated. half of it on each side of the vehicle shey??
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by RoadMozart(m): 5:36pm On May 05, 2023
buygala:

Most healthy v6 engines also have low Rpms at high speeds, especially if they go into overdrive, though not as low as the V8s...

One sleeper v6 anyone should be beware of is the 2007 Honda Accord v6.. That car in a healthy state will dust a lot of healthy V8s...
Even the Normal i4 accord is a beast not to talk of the v6

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by RoadMozart(m): 5:38pm On May 05, 2023
Silentgroper:

Amazing. I used to think the higher the amount of plugs the faster the car ..

.so is there a V10 car??
Yes there are

Audi R6 avant is a good example
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by buygala(m): 5:46pm On May 05, 2023
RoadMozart:

Even the Normal i4 accord is a beast not to talk of the v6

That's true...it's a beast among it's own non-, turbo 4 cylinder mates...

1 Like

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by symbianDON(m): 5:51pm On May 05, 2023
The 8th generation v6 Accord (3.5l J35 earth dreams engine) is insanely fast!

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by DesChyko: 5:51pm On May 05, 2023
I'm enjoy this car talk ✌️
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Silentgroper(m): 5:53pm On May 05, 2023
iyke4dbi:
One per cylinder
one plug represent one cylinder!!
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by DARLINGTON869(m): 6:07pm On May 05, 2023
Does the size of a cylinder affects engine performance. Say for instance, does a Honda v6 with a slightly fatter cylinders outperform a Camry with a moderate sized 6 cylinders.

Another question: Can a V6 engine with turbo charger equate in power output or torque(as the case may be) to a V8 without any turbo?

1 Like

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by RoadMozart(m): 6:12pm On May 05, 2023
DARLINGTON869:
Does the size of a cylinder affects engine performance. Say for instance, does a Honda v6 with a slightly fatter cylinders outperform a Camry with a moderate sized 6 cylinders.

Another question: Can a V6 engine with turbo charger equate in power output or torque(as the case may be) to a V8 without any turbo?
I believe honda engine has more power than camry. Honda accord has more balance than camry on high speeds.

A v6 with turbo charger will definitely out run a v8 without turbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by HomeTutorsPro: 7:36pm On May 05, 2023
Silentgroper:

Arrangement of cylinders.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Silentgroper(m): 8:39pm On May 05, 2023
HomeTutorsPro:

Arrangement of cylinders.

gracias
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Nebes: 9:22pm On May 05, 2023
This is not a thread for stupid kids. Well done Sirs.
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Nnaemiemax: 3:21am On May 06, 2023
symbianDON:

Seems many folks don’t really know about how powerful Honda engines are 😁. The ball joint problem in the earlier years caused some serious de-marketing on a large scale, and took the attention away from the core features to look out in a car - operation and overall engine performance.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by buygala(m): 5:08am On May 06, 2023
symbianDON:

Calm down Sir grin

Honda unveiled its Earthdream Tech in 2011, and it's first introduction was in the 9th Generation Honda Accord V6, whose engine picture is shown below..If you zoom in a bit, I am sure you will see the Earthdreams badge ontop of the engine

I once owned a 2010 Accord V6 and I am very sure there was nothing Earthdreams about its engine.. Aside Vtech, it also had the Variable Cylinder Management tech in it which automatically shut down some cylinders in traffic to conserve fuel...The VCM's badge can be seen on top of those engines.

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by BigDawsNet: 6:32am On May 06, 2023
The smallest Lexus has a V7 engine
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Otiwaikuku: 7:12am On May 06, 2023
iyke4dbi:

Thanks for the detailed explanations.How about the fuel consumption of V6 and V8 rides?
I use to see some transport companies using V8 rides for inter state does it mean it doesn’t consume much fuel?
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by Demmtek(m): 7:34am On May 06, 2023
symbianDON:
even the 4 plug earth dreams engine acceleration is faster than most v6 out there lately.
Talking from experience car moves like a V6 at time

1 Like

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by bestman09(m): 7:54am On May 06, 2023
Following
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by symbianDON(m): 8:21am On May 06, 2023
buygala:

Calm down Sir grin

Honda unveiled its Earthdream Tech in 2011, and it's first introduction was in the 9th Generation Honda Accord V6, whose engine picture is shown below..If you zoom in a bit, I am sure you will see the Earthdreams badge ontop of the engine

I once owned a 2010 Accord V6 and I am very sure there was nothing Earthdreams about its engine.. Aside Vtech, it also had the Variable Cylinder Management tech in it which automatically shut down some cylinders in traffic to conserve fuel...The VCM's badge can be seen on top of those engines.
my bad. Earth dreams correctly started with the 9th generation.
Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by drmuchin: 10:41am On May 06, 2023
Heavenlybang
Nurey
Kingreign

Make Una come chook mouth

1 Like

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by nurey(m): 11:36am On May 06, 2023
Silentgroper:

V6 etc is about cylinders not plugs per se because benz has a V6 engine and it uses 12plugs, Honda city with the idsi engine is a 4 cylinder engine with 8 plugs. But generally a 4cylinder should have 4 plugs, 6 cylinder 6 plugs only that diesel engines don't have plugs.
So a 6 cylinder diesel engine has zero plugs grin

Speed is not only about no of plugs sha, many other things play a role in determining speed but generally a Camry or Accord 6 plugs would be faster than 4 plugs provided other things remain constant

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Term V6, V12 Mean In Cars. by b3llo(m): 1:49pm On May 06, 2023
drmuchin:
Heavenlybang
Nurey
Kingreign

Make Una come chook mouth
I love to read from this legends when they discuss about cars.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Foreign 2010 Toyota Venza(full Option)✅❇️ / Neatly Used 2013 Bmw 328i With Original Custom Duty / Golf For N200, 000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.