Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,767 members, 7,831,469 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

'falsehood' - Prof Abubakar Sulaiman Dismisses Report He Allegedly Calls Ilorin - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 'falsehood' - Prof Abubakar Sulaiman Dismisses Report He Allegedly Calls Ilorin (190 Views)

Pastor Adeboye Exposed! How He Allegedly Acquired $65million Gulfstream Jet Wit / Adult Star Calls Out Davido After He Allegedly Hired Her Services And Didn't Pay / Soyinka: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Son Says It May Be 'Unlawful' To Take Pic Of Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

'falsehood' - Prof Abubakar Sulaiman Dismisses Report He Allegedly Calls Ilorin by Jimsonjaat96(m): 8:23pm On May 07, 2023
'Falsehood' - Prof Abubakar Sulaiman Reacts To Report He Allegedly Calls Ilorin Emirate Traditional Institution, IEDPU Biased During 2023 Elections

The Director General of the National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies , NILDS, Professor Abubakar Sulaiman has described as mischievous falsehood, a publication by some online news outlets, wherein his speech during the event held to mark Balogun Alanamu’s first anniversary, was maliciously twisted to paint the Ilorin traditional institution and the IEDPU in a bad light, with the sole aim of inciting them against his person.

He said while he remains unperturbed about the misrepresentation of his observations by those online news outlets, there was however a need to set the record straight for the sake of unsuspecting members of the public who may be misled by the publication in question.

"As the chairman of the occasion organized to mark the first anniversary of a highly revered community leader, Dr Usman Atolagbe Abubakar Jos, I presented a speech, where I drew attention of our royal fathers, religious leaders and the elitist community to the sacred space they occupy among our people and the need to protect the dignity of their offices - most especially from politicians who are always on shopping spree for opportunity to advance their selfish and personal interests.

"Indeed, my message, which was apolitical, was aimed at awakening our collective reasoning as a people, to hold as sacred, the institution of our traditional stools and our Islamic heritage, both of which are the pillars upon which our culture and tradition are embedded. 

"It is important to state that noble sons and daughters of Emirate like myself, reposed so much confidence in Emirate traditional rulership and derived moral and spiritual guidance from same . I will not, therefore descend so low to openly chastise those I regard as my pillars of support.

"However, as a true son of the soil and one who holds Ilorin so dear in his heart, I am duty bound to raise an observation whenever issues that may affect our collective interest spring up, hence, my message was not to chastise anybody but to enable us look back, identify where we might have erred and address where possible. 

"It's on this note that I want to state that any plots to pitch our reverred traditional institution as well as indigenous organization against my person for political reason or the other is dead on arrival as my respect for the traditional institution in the Emirate dates back to time immemorial," he said.

The university Don also decried increasing spate of junk journalism heating up polity also noted that misinformation and journalistic bias reports by unprofessional media practitioners, if allowed to fester in our media space, poses more threat to the peace and tranquility of our society than setting a time bomb.

Recall that some Kwara-based online media outline had reported that the Director General of the National Institute of Legislative Studies, (NILDS), Professor Abubakar Suleiman, chided the traditional rulers in Ilorin Emirate, the Ilorin Emirate Descendants Progressives Union (IEDPU) and other traditional and religious leaders for being partisan in the 2023 general elections.

He was quoted to have said: “while it is not unexpected that as a political animal, our fathers may have their preferences, but the office they occupy demands of them to be highly circumspect and ensure a semblance of neutrality in their dealings as their subjects belong to different political parties.

“By this, I am referring to aspects of the implementation of the Durbar, management and occurrences at Eid praying ground and even the prestigious annual IEDPU calendar launching to mention a few.

“My observation is that we have allowed political differences among the elite of the Emirate to rub negatively on the way these activities are handled.”

He added; “At the time of elections, I have also noticed that our traditional and religious leaders openly support and campaign for one party against the others.

“It is important to evolve innovative financing models that insulate traditional institutions from pressures and blackmail from political office holders,” he suggested.

(1) (Reply)

A Journey Through Flavor And Consciousness: Reviewing Psychedelic Mushroom Choco / Best Movers And Packers In Delhi Ncr | Omdeo Delhi / Why Nigeria Is Not On The Toll Of Development-bisi Akande

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.