Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! (538 Views)

An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! by IyaTola: 7:10pm On May 10, 2023
STOP ASKING FOR PREVIOUS PAYSLIPS! WE ARE APPLYING FOR JOBS, NOT LOAN!

The practice of requesting candidates' previous payslips raises concerns about fairness and transparency in hiring, as candidates are not seeking a loan but rather applying for a job.

As professionals seeking new opportunities, we are often asked to provide various documents and information during the application process. However, the request for previous payslips has become increasingly common, and it is important to question whether it aligns with ethical recruitment practices.

Here are a few reasons why I believe this practice should be stopped forthwith:

⛔ Irrelevance: The focus of the recruitment process should primarily be on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience relevant to the position. Requesting previous payslips does not contribute to evaluating these factors and can create biases or assumptions about a candidate's worth.

⛔ Privacy Concerns: Candidates have a right to privacy, and their previous salary should not be a determining factor in assessing their suitability for a new role. Some of these candidates signed oath of confidentiality.

⛔ Inequality perpetuation: If a candidate's previous compensation was lower than their market value due to some factors, using this information as a benchmark could further perpetuate the inequality.

Instead, I suggest a shift towards evaluating candidates based on their skills, experience, competencies and value they can bring to the organization. Here are some alternative approaches that can foster a fairer recruitment process:

🎯 Focus on market value: Employers and Recruiters should conduct thorough market research to determine appropriate salary ranges for specific positions. This ensures that candidates are offered fair compensation based on industry standards, experiences and their qualifications.

🎯 Transparent salary discussions: Employers should openly discuss salary expectations with candidates during the interview process to allow both parties to align their expectations and negotiate a fair compensation package.

🎯 Skills and qualifications assessment: Emphasize the evaluation of a candidate's abilities, experience, and potential for growth during the recruitment process.

Implementing comprehensive assessments, tests, and interviews can provide a more accurate picture of a candidate's suitability for the role.

Let's work together to promote fairness, transparency, and equality in the recruitment process. By reevaluating the practice of requesting previous payslips, we can create a more inclusive environment for job seekers and pave the way for a more equitable job market.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Please share your opinions and experiences in the comments below.

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! by jdstunt(m): 4:59am On May 11, 2023
Nice write up

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! by IyaTola: 5:07am On May 11, 2023
wink
jdstunt:
Nice write up
Re: Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! by Caleb15(m): 6:25am On May 11, 2023
I applied for a job and was enlisted, i was even sent an employment form its been 2 months now buh i have not resumed due to the incompetence from their side

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking For Previous Payslips! We Are Applying For Jobs, Not Loan! by IyaTola: 7:15am On May 11, 2023
Caleb15:
I applied for a job and was enlisted, i was even sent an employment form its been 2 months now buh i have not resumed due to the incompetence from their side
Move on

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Need Qualified Business Analysts / Vacancy - Male Caregiver / Position Still Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.