Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War (5435 Views)

How Took Arochukwu from The ibibio - Aro-Ibibio Wars Explained (1650) / Labourers Find Biafra Pounds Hidden In Bottle And Buried During Biafran War / The Untold Story Of The Biafran Ogbunigwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 4:33pm On May 13, 2023
The Igbo's have to Stop Insulting Other Tribes or make themselves too Superior to Others and if Possible Apologize for their Wrongs in the Past and lastly think home

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by johntolu: 4:41pm On May 13, 2023
franchasofficia:
I won't deny your story because it was almost same in my community in core Southeast state.

During war, countries conscript youths into the army by force. Even Russia planned to do this to save their country.

Soldiers generally, but more especially African soldiers are known for being stupid towards civilians, so such atrocities are expected from black soldiers during war.

It has nothing to do with Igbo but more to do with war and what comes with it.

But in all, I condemn it, we the young generation of Igbos condemn all such atrocities committed by some Biafran soldiers during the civil war, its regrettable, my uncle was a Biafra battalion commander and close ally of Ojukwu such that Ojukwu passed some nights in my uncles house in my hometown during the war, during his usual unannounced visits of different Biafran communities.

My uncle did told about some of the bad things soldiers under his command did in Edo before they withdrew back to Umunede then to Asaba and later Onitsha, and he said some of the soldiers under his command then who went against his strict rule of engagement received instant judgment like being hit by stray bullet, some their guns jammed during fierce combat and they got taken out by the enemy bullets.

I remember him telling us how he warns his battalion soldiers never to steal or take a dime from a fallen soldier but some will never listen and they got instant judgment according to him. He and my father told us some of the things you must avoid as a battle soldier if you desire to come out of the war alive, such as:

not taking anything from a fallen soldier
not taking a fallen soldier's guns or arms without the permission of your commander.
don't rape anybody as a soldier
Don't loot from conquered territory or community.

Once again, I on behalf of well meaning Igbos condemn and apologize to all aggrieved Nigerians that were molested or brutalized unjustly by the Biafran soldiers during the civil war, we are ready to correct those mistakes, and that's why we are asking for a new Nigeria that give all Nigerians equal rights to succeed, and if that cant work then a peaceful division of Nigeria into as many regions that desire independence as possible, peace

You have spoken well, my Brother.
Your apologies on accounts of the atrocities committed by Biafran soldiers, during the civil war, is highly commendable.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by arantess: 4:48pm On May 13, 2023
richmond500:
hmm.
Truth is, an average SS doesn't really like the SE after the Biafran war, this is the reason the people of SS refused to give back the igbos their properties.
Most igbos will insult the SS cos they don't want to buy into the SS/SE project but history is always taught to make some people look like victims.
The igbos were told that the government killed 3million igbos. While in the SS, we were told that the Biafran soldiers forcefully took our men to war, raped our women.
My grandfather was also a victim, no one knows where he died, no one saw his corpse.
Now how do you expect me and other victims with that kind of knowledge to accept the SS/SE. Just as they can't accept the Hausa's, we can't accept the igbos
I see

Is that why you changed "umuola" to "Rumuola"? cos you hate igbos
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by richmond500: 4:51pm On May 13, 2023
arantess:

I see

Is that why you changed "umuola" to "Rumuola"? cos you hate igbos
Arrant nonsense, come and change it back na grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 5:04pm On May 13, 2023
freshkpomo:

Here in Benin so many men started wearing skirts so they won't be forcefully recruited because the ones that were taken away never came back but instead they kept coming back to take more even up to boys the age of 12 were all taken from Benin by the Biafran soldiers. So many never came down from the ceiling, some lived the rest of their lives in the Forest and never returned home. People stopped using lights in their house at night some even stopped cooking and depended on fruits from bushes because they did not want anything to bring the attention of the Biafran soldiers to them.

The ones stationed at gelegele raped anything that can be raped including married women especially if you are not wearing long ugly gown to make you look unattractive. The day the Northern soldiers chased and killed them all there was a huge celebration, we still have the song here in Benin on how Hausa soldiers slaughtered the Igbos and set the people Free. The Hausa soldiers were seen as an hero and if not for the Fulani atrocities, many SS States actually had no problems with the northerners.

This is the reason South South will never be part of Biafra but will prefer to be a country in its own. I like Igbos Sha,but the Biafra war story cannot be twisted because multiple accounts from Benin were not really good what their soldiers did.
So Biafra war reach Benin.. Kaaaiiiiiiii. See keg of lies
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 5:08pm On May 13, 2023
NaijaReCrminals:
ATROCITIES PERPETRATED AGAINST THE IBIBIO DURING THE BIAFRAN WAR:

WRITTEN BY RAY ISONG;-

The Nigerian-Biafran War started on July 6, 1967 and ended on January 15, 1970. The former Eastern Region of Nigeria seceded from Nigeria and declared its independence on May 30, 1967, following the massacre of the Igbo people who were living in the northern parts of Nigeria.

The dominant argument in the historiography of the civil War, both within academia and the popular media, is that the Igbo were targeted for extermination by the Muslim north. Yet, not much has been reported about the atrocities perpetrated against the “minorities” in Biafra, both by the Nigerian military forces and the Biafran militias. In particular, the ibibio people.

William Norris of the London Times who visited Biafra, reported an eye- witness account in which some men of Ibibio ethnic origin were beaten to death at Umuahia on April 2, 1968. These Ibibios who included old men and young men were apparently suspected of collaborating with advancing Nigerian troops. They were reportedly frog-marched across an open space while the local people attacked them with sticks and clubs.

In a related account, B. J. Ikpeme, a member of a minority group and retired Senior Medical Officer in the then Eastern Region revealed atrocities perpetrated by Biafran soldiers against the minorities in some towns in the present-day Cross River and Akwa- Ibom States. Ikpeme argued that Ojukwu’s declaration of the Republic of Biafra had been issued against the wishes of the majority of the people of Calabar, Ogoja, and Rivers Provinces, who for many years had agitated for a separate state of their own.

According to Ikpeme, the Igbo leadership, who did not like the minority agitation, decided either to force the five million non-Igbo minorities into the new republic or eliminate them. It was on this basis, claims Ikpeme, that Biafran soldiers were quickly sent to the minority areas to “keep down the people, detain or even kill all who dared raise a voice in protest against the idea of Biafra.” It was during this period that the non-Igbos started experiencing different forms of inhumane treatment, ranging from torture, detention, to killing.

Ikpeme himself was detained in what he described as a “concentration camp” and was later transferred to a prison cell where he was given urine to drink when he demanded water. Ikpeme described instances where the Biafra soldiers allegedly perpetrated atrocities against some members of non-Igbo groups. In Asang town in Enyong, from where Ikpeme originated, about four hundred people were carried away to an unknown destination. Another town called Attan Onoyon in the same Enyong was burnt down with many people killed by the Biafran soldiers.

In Ikot Ekpenyong in the present day Akwa Ibom State, Biafra soldiers were said to have shot many villagers. Ikpeme also recounted that similar killings carried out by Biafra soldiers took place in places like Ikot Okpot and Idoro. He equally alleged that when the Nigerian troops landed in Calabar on October 18, 1967, about 169 civilians in detention were lined up and shöt by Biafran soldiers. This same allegation had also been published in The New York Times as an informational advertisement by the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in New York. These two accounts, given by the survivor-victim of Ikun and Dr. Ikpeme, portray similar pictures of gross atrocities but with different underlying objectives.

Viòlencé towards the minorities was not perpetrated only by the Biafran troops. Approximately 2,000 Efiks were reportedly killèd in Calabar by the federal troops. The victims were said to be returnees who revolted against the federal occupation. The killing was reported to Gowon who subsequently appointed Dr. J. B. Ikpeme as Chief Justice when the killing had nearly been completed. According to Emeka Uhuegbu, the field administrator of the United Nations mandated demining project, the minority areas of Rivers State had the highest number of landmine victims. Akwa Ibom and Imo States follow on the list.

According to a study on Nkari, an ibibio clan bordering Akwa Ibom and Abia State, in Ini LGA, the Nigerian Civil War military operation did not reach Nkari villages until late 1968. Before this period, the Nkari people only felt the effects of the war. Essential food such as salt, crayfish, sugar, bread and so on were lacking leading to starvation in the area. There was no army occupation of the Nkari clan during the early period of the war in 1967, the people only heard from news on the radio that there was a civil war going on in the country, later they experienced scarcity of goods and drugs in the market.

In late 1968, Nkari people started seeing soldiers in the community. The people, mostly men were asked to queue up for the exchange of currency, from Naira to Biafran pounds, and all men of the clan who queued up for the exercise were marched out of the community to an unknown destination.

(Inwang:2018) also added that some of the men in the queue who later escaped while they were led by the men dressed in military uniform wondered why only men were mandated and taken out of the community to exchange Nigerian currency for the Biâfrâ money. Therefore, some people escaped into the bush whenever they were out of sight of the soldiers.

Women waited for days, weeks and months and their husbands did not return. Therefore, they fled from the community leaving the entire area desolate. The study found out that they were Biâfrân soldiers hired by neighboring Igbo villages to carry out the nefarious and dastardly act, so as to evict the people from their land. Till date, Nkari people are still in land disputes with neighboring Igbo villages – Ariam/Usaka, Ntalakwu, Ibere.

Source: The Forgotten Victims: Ethnic Minorities in the Nigeria-Biâfrâ War, 1967-1970
Arua Oko Omaka; Nkari and Her Neighbours (1900 - 2000)
NA THUNDER GO FIRE THIS GUY... DO U KNOW HOW MANY IBIBIO SOLDIERS THAT CAMPED IN MBAISE IMO STATE DID TO OUR WOMEN AND YOUNG MEN...
BRO OGUN STRIKE YOUR FAMILY... WAR IS A TOOTH FOR TATH BIZ.. UNA SAY DEM WIN BIAFRA BUT AT EVERY SLIGHTEST OPPORTUNITY, UNA GO DEY SING ABOUT INJUSTICE THESAME CONQUERED DOT IN A CIRCLE DO UNA... OGUN KEE ANY IGBO HATER..
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by kosssy: 5:10pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:
The Igbo's have to Stop Insulting Other Tribes or make themselves too Superior to Others and if Possible Apologize for their Wrongs in the Past and lastly think home
Which wrongs are the new generation Igbos living in Akwa Ibom doing? I hope this is not coming from the point of envy? Or is it that you guys see Igbos as easy target to slander at every giving opportunity?
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by gammarays1: 5:24pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

I mean that Yoruba's controls Banks,Insurance and Pension Sectors
So if someone is the bank manager or appointed CEO, he's controlling the financial sector 🙄
Financial sector is vast. Check the top 5 banks in Nigeria to see their owners not appointed CEO or MD.

Then you're the owner of a bank, insurance company or pension coy doesn't mean you're the owner of the funds there, you're just managing them.
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Brek: 5:28pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

Are the Indigenous people of Bonny or Onne Igbo's?
Yes they are and they're not ijaws besides give me link if they're ijaw
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Brek: 5:29pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:
Asif yorubas Hausas ijaws ibibios and every other ethnic group hasn't done that before. Stop doing victim blame
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 13, 2023
kosssy:

Which wrongs are the new generation Igbos living in Akwa Ibom doing? I hope this is not coming from the point of envy? Or is it that you guys see Igbos as easy target to slander at every giving opportunity?
Why should the fastest growing state in Nigeria envy a backward territory like Igbo land?
Have you seen any Akwa Ibom people drawing a useless map and forcing Igbos to be part of if like your terrorist brothers, Simon Ekpa and Nnamudi Cownu?

Akwa Ibom is richer than the entire Igbo land in mineral resources that explains why you covet their land and arrogantly incorporate them in your useless Biafran map without their consent, even after they have rejected and sternly warned you that they are not part of your delusion and online country.

1 Like

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Brek: 5:38pm On May 13, 2023
fuckuigbos:
Why should the fastest growing state in Nigeria envy a backward territory like Igbo land?
Have you seen any Akwa Ibom people drawing a useless map and forcing Igbos to be part of if like your terrorist brothers, Simon Ekpa and Nnamudi Cownu?

Akwa Ibom is richer than the entire Igbo land in mineral resources that explains why you covet their land and arrogantly incorporate them in your useless Biafran map without their consent, even after they have rejected and sternly warned you that they are not part of your delusion and online country.
Where are your statistics to prove such lie? That akwa ibom is richer then igboland? Shut up please! Hateful bigot
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:39pm On May 13, 2023
Brek:

Asif yorubas Hausas ijaws ibibios and every other ethnic group hasn't done that before. Stop doing victim blame
Yeah,they do that but the Igbo's averagely insults other Ethnic Groups

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by freshkpomo(m): 5:39pm On May 13, 2023
EMPEROROFDONBAS:

So Biafra war reach Benin.. Kaaaiiiiiiii. See keg of lies

Small boy go and read the testament of your fellow Igbo brother up there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:39pm On May 13, 2023
Brek:

Yes they are and they're not ijaws besides give me link if they're ijaw
Okay,let the Ijaws talk for themselves
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Brek: 5:39pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

Yeah,they do that but the Igbo's averagely insults other Ethnic Groups
Same with yorubas and Hausas or did you forget how they insulted ESN for killing Fulani herdsman?
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Brek: 5:40pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

Okay,let the Ijaws talk for themselves
They can't provide a link or source to prove such!
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:41pm On May 13, 2023
gammarays1:

So if someone is the bank manager or appointed CEO, he's controlling the financial sector 🙄
Financial sector is vast. Check the top 5 banks in Nigeria to see their owners not appointed CEO or MD.

Then you're the owner of a bank, insurance company or pension coy doesn't mean you're the owner of the funds there, you're just managing them.
I have visited major banks in Nasarawa,Kano,Kaduna,Abuja,Lagos and Akwa IBOM,most of the staff are Yoruba.i mean 50-70%
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:44pm On May 13, 2023
kosssy:

Igbo's never accepts their Wrongs and Evil.
Igbo's are the most Loved Ethnic Groups in naija but they end up insulting or selling contraband or fake products unabated.
Once you confronts them they will say that you are envying them.
Have you ever asked yourself why are most Drug Traffickers Igbo's
Why are most Fake product importers Igbos

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:45pm On May 13, 2023
Brek:

They can't provide a link or source to prove such!
There was a thread last week pasted on nairaland.
Nonetheless it's left for the Bonny people
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:47pm On May 13, 2023
Brek:

Same with yorubas and Hausas or did you forget how they insulted ESN for killing Fulani herdsman?
I'm a supporter of ESN but sometimes their operations can let to Reprisal against Igbos all over Nigeria.
*Imagine an Akwa Cross indigene killed just because he travelled on Monday
*Attacking Hausa/fulani in the East on Provoked.
ESN should not operate with Hate but should be precise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by TheBillyonaire: 5:51pm On May 13, 2023
proeast:

Don't be decieved bro. Nigeria can breakup without us losing our huge market. Europe has relatively small countries yet share a huge market, the EU.

AFcta has already been signed into law. It makes Africa a huge common market. Instead of us fighting each other every day while the rest of the world leaves us behind, let's breakup and channel our strengths to productive things.

There are no border restrictions in EU.
There is a common currency.
We do not have such in Africa. Eco for ECOWAS nations has been hijacked by France.

The short cut to our common prosperity is all our neighouring countries becoming part of United States of Nigeria with single currency and no borders.

Such arrangement will lower the decibel on tribalism of Yorubas against Igbos, because we will have other larger tribes outside our regular Karmic ties with each other.

It is shameful that these 3 major tribes are becoming very toxic to each other.
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by gammarays1: 5:57pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

I have visited major banks in Nasarawa,Kano,Kaduna,Abuja,Lagos and Akwa IBOM,most of the staff are Yoruba.i mean 50-70%
So na Staff wey dey fight to retain their jobs wey no permanent be the financial sector controllers 🙄
Nawa o
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Meteng: 5:58pm On May 13, 2023
richmond500:
hmm.
Truth is, an average SS doesn't really like the SE after the Biafran war, this is the reason the people of SS refused to give back the igbos their properties.
Most igbos will insult the SS cos they don't want to buy into the SS/SE project but history is always taught to make some people look like victims.
The igbos were told that the government killed 3million igbos. While in the SS, we were told that the Biafran soldiers forcefully took our men to war, raped our women.
My grandfather was also a victim, no one knows where he died, no one saw his corpse.
Now how do you expect me and other victims with that kind of knowledge to accept the SS/SE. Just as they can't accept the Hausa's, we can't accept the igbos
Thank you
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by UKEMY(m): 5:59pm On May 13, 2023
gammarays1:

So na Staff wey dey fight to retain their jobs wey no permanent be the financial sector controllers 🙄
Nawa o
Oga most of those Staff have Godfather's up from Same tribe.
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 6:01pm On May 13, 2023
freshkpomo:

Small boy go and read the testament of your fellow Igbo brother up there.
Big boi. U love lies when it massages your ego...
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by freshkpomo(m): 6:03pm On May 13, 2023
EMPEROROFDONBAS:

Big boi. U love lies when it massages your ego...

You even know say til date some Igbos dey part of Benin Kingdom and some huge Chunk of Benin was in your old biafran map? I don't know about the current one because I don't concern myself with it anymore. Last last I know say Nigeria Go divide one day and that's my prayer too.

1 Like

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by gammarays1: 6:05pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

Igbo's never accepts their Wrongs and Evil.
Igbo's are the most Loved Ethnic Groups in naija but they end up insulting or selling contraband or fake products unabated.
Once you confronts them they will say that you are envying them.
Have you ever asked yourself why are most Drug Traffickers Igbo's
Why are most Fake product importers Igbos
You're always contradicting yourself. Good you said Igbos are the most loved. They're the center holding the country if you're eyes is spiritually open.
Nigeria had a great image when the Igbos were happy under it. That image dwindled starting from Buhari and co when they thought they were fighting the Igbos not knowing they're damaging Nigeria.

As for what you wrote above, you can't be doing all those bad things and be the most loved.

Since you all are saying bad things are done by Igbos alone, other parts of Nigeria should have been one of the best in the world since they're doing good.

1 Like

Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 6:06pm On May 13, 2023
freshkpomo:

You even know say til date some Igbos dey part of Benin Kingdom and some huge Chunk of Benin was in your old biafran map? I don't know about the current one because I don't concern myself with it anymore. Last last I know say Nigeria Go divide one day and that's my prayer too.
Very good.. Make divide abeg... This shit is much..
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by gammarays1: 6:10pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

Oga most of those Staff have Godfather's up from Same tribe.
When you want to talk about the ownership of a farm, focus on the owners and not the workers.

As for Godfathers, every society has a principle that favors them. The Igbos are independent minded, there might be Ogas at the top but everyone aspires to be his own Boss. That's why you'll find wealth distribution high in their tribe.

If others prefer the Godfather system, that's what works for them and shouldn't be generalized to all.
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by EMPEROROFDONBAS(m): 6:19pm On May 13, 2023
freshkpomo:

Go and read a well detailed history of the war... How come no Benin name was involbed in the history of the civil war??.. Una mumu Sha.. Anything to malign the Igbos and massage yur useless ego is welcomed.. Old man wey no Sabi history
Re: Atrocities Perpetrated Against The Ibibio During The Biafran War by Brek: 6:22pm On May 13, 2023
UKEMY:

I'm a supporter of ESN but sometimes their operations can let to Reprisal against Igbos all over Nigeria.
*Imagine an Akwa Cross indigene killed just because he travelled on Monday
*Attacking Hausa/fulani in the East on Provoked.
ESN should not operate with Hate but should be precise
I do understand your point but note that ESN only carry operation in igboland. Yes I'm aware of the attack on Hausas and I condemn it but you can't blame them if the Hausas launched the first attack

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala / Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption / Every Christian, Muslim Hate Preacher Must Be Prosecuted- Sultan Of Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.