Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,354 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

That First Service. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / That First Service. (2719 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:21pm On May 13, 2023

PART 1

Congratulations you just landed a new (Foreign used or naija used,) Vehicle. You want the best for your new found love , you want to avoid seeing the mechanics work on the drivetrain for as long as possible. You schedule servicing with your local mechanic to ensure vehicle stays in top shape . You create a Todo list

Engine oil
Oil filter
Brake pads
Transmission oil

You drive down to the mechanic and work starts.

They recommend a cheap brand of full synthetic oil that sells for about 15k, oil filter for 1k, brake pads for 5k, transmission oil for 12k a gallon. Other jobs done (if you no too wise) removing thermostat and wiring cooling fans directly. You might loose a catalyst or 2 if you decide to leave the vehicle unattended.

You come back and your car sounds a bit different deep and growling, but you just had it a few days and you cannot tell the difference, dive off satisfied hoping not to see the mechanic in another 5000 miles.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:21pm On May 13, 2023
Part2

A few days have gone by after the "first service" you begin to notice new developments with your vehicle.

1 when you step on the brakes the squeeking sound, sound was not there when you first got the car.

2. Light faint smoke when you start up the car in the morning that clears off eventually, you notice oil on the stick getting short by a little bit not sure .

3. Fuel consumption is not as good as you would expect on a "new" car.

You are a bit concerned, but will wait till the weekend , the brakes are more annoying in traffic.

1 Like

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:21pm On May 13, 2023

Part 3

Weekend is here , you drive down to your local mechanic to lay complaints about the new issues .

Starting with the noisy brake pads, local mechanic shrugs it off as nothing serious, bring out the front and rear brake pads, and rubs it off on an unplastered was, with just bare block work, also uses a stone to make the surface of the brake rotors rough.

The engine oil drop and smoke , he recommends adding engine oil treatment to the oil and topping up.

For the fuel consumption, he takes out the fuel rail and services the fuel injectors , also cleans the sparkplugs and closes up the spark gap a little more.

You drive off, noise when stepping on the brakes gone, driving more confidently .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: That First Service. by COLOURCUT: 12:41pm On May 13, 2023
Another one has dropped again. hurry up and pick it ooo.

Land Rover LR3 V8 SE (2006)
Nigerian use.
fully registered
size 4.4 Liters

Re: That First Service. by VeryWickedPrick: 1:14pm On May 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Hurry up
Re: That First Service. by Grupo(m): 9:51am On May 14, 2023
That first service might just be the beginning of your problems.

Boss, you forgot to include "topping AC gas."

I don mark attendance for here.

5 Likes

Re: That First Service. by Nobody: 10:20am On May 14, 2023
Locked and loaded, let's go
Re: That First Service. by Kingdemu: 1:00pm On May 14, 2023
Following
Re: That First Service. by abrahambest(m): 3:56pm On May 14, 2023
Following
Re: That First Service. by RoadMozart(m): 3:58pm On May 14, 2023
Following
Re: That First Service. by mejai(m): 4:10pm On May 14, 2023
It's been long u had a write up like this. We are waiting.
Re: That First Service. by buygala(m): 4:22pm On May 14, 2023
For a Nigerian Used vehicle that has sludge, one is far safer with the Mobil 20w50 oil that sells 9500 for four litres.. 5 litres of am na 11500 as at last month down North.... Na you sabi if you go buy 5w30 for 5 years used in naija moto.. E go be you like film trick when the oil evaporate comot like air before one month.

1k oil filter is good enough as long as you service before 3k miles... For up to the 2007 accords, Camrys and other japmobiles of similar pedigree at least... I don't know who will be mad enough to screw on a 1k oil filter on post 2010 vehicle sha . . Those might nor might not survive depending on service interval... But it sure won't be an instant death thing.

Many Nigerian used cars use it and are doing fine.. Even if you use 100k oil filter and do not respect oil and filter change interval, you go chop gbese...

Transmission oil is best left alone if it still smells nice and looks pink, and transmission works fine without any slips.. Allow sleeping dog rest in peace...As long as your gear doesn't overheat, you should be fine for years... If you must, confirm, reconfirm, and rereconfirm the authenticity of the factory recommended fluid you wanna replace it with...

Most Nigerians no dey look dashboard as dem dey drive.. As bad as Direct connection of fans is, it's far better having fans running direct than having them on thermostat, and then failing and scrapping the engine, because driver no dey look temp gauge or temp gauge itself failed and was giving a false reading....If you are lazy and careless, put the fan for direct and carry go grin... Just dey save moni for fan replacement due to overworked fans, and then engine replacement due to improper lubrication of engine components due to constantly low oil temp... Na just to buy engine.. No biggie smiley

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: That First Service. by corisande: 10:33pm On May 14, 2023

1 Like

Re: That First Service. by Ammc(m): 11:37pm On May 14, 2023
Following

1 Like

Re: That First Service. by donclark(m): 2:12am On May 15, 2023
I don't know so much but you see this flipping around using different oil grades...stop it immediately, you are confusing the engine. Make sure you stick to grade type of oil at least... just wait make oga Gazzuzz and co recommend the best for your car and stick to it...
corisande:
Following
First time car owner. I’m female too🙏
Got a foreign used 2007 camry 4plugs last year august. I have serviced 3 times

I saw the previous service sticker. Mobil 1 was used to service last.

First oil change i did i used mobil xhp 20w50, second oil change mechanic adviced to use Mobil 5w30 semi synthetic. I serviced last week and i used 20w50.
Car is barely driven though. i have done only around 2400km since i got.
My worry is which oil is best to use as I cannot find the recommended oil around me which is 5w20

3 Likes

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:36am On May 15, 2023
Part4

First long distance drive .

The light smoke After first start never clears off, it still there, first trip with new car.

Trip was ok in the beginning, but you notice a new smell like burning plastic when ever you brake hard, the brake noises come back, but this time with its cousins and uncles , the roads are bad and you have to avoid potholes, at some point you notice the brakes fail completely!

You drop speed and look for a safe place to park, come down to check fluids, brake o level is fine, the front wheels looking dark like someone poured charcoal on them.

You continue journey, but this time driving much slower until you get to your destination.

On Sunday it is testimony time, you join queue of people to testify....

Brethren...... The devil was out to get me, my brakes failed at top speed, but thank God for his protection I was guided by heavily hosts and came to a stop. devil looking like "Wetin I do this time? "

Sunday morning smoke was at an all time high, and oil was dangerously low, you top up with the leftover from first service that was in the trunk.

Driving back smoke continues, you are concerned, you drive back cautiously, it's a long week before the weekend you do not have the luxury of time to sit in the mechanic workshop.

2 Likes

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:45am On May 15, 2023
part 5

Monday morning you call up the mechanic on the phone and have him come pick up the vehicle, you complain about the smoke, the brakes that failed and the oi burn, guy man says no problem , takes the keys and drives off with the car .

2hrs later he calls....

Sir! Nah God save you.... The brake master don go! E don weak, we go change am with the "Safo" (servo) , you ask about the smoke and he says the engine no carry the hoil, we go put thick one with treatment, and the noisy brakes? We don service the calliper, nah him de always cause the noise.

5pm the car comes in, you notice a few scratches that were not there before, mechanic says it was not him and you cannot remember doing it... Oh well.

Driving back, brakes are not noisy, braking feels different , no complaints so far.

5 Likes

Re: That First Service. by Coolgent(m): 10:12am On May 20, 2023
Informative
Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:51pm On May 20, 2023
Part 6

Days later.

Brakes noisy

Smoke reduced but engine oil light flickers

New problem , Transmission begins slipping .

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:13pm On May 20, 2023
Part 7.

New car owners are faced daily with similar scenarios.

Let's start with engine oil changes .

Not every Foreign used car ran on synthetic engine oil before being imported into the country.

Corrolas, kias, Hondas and most vehicles in the 1L-2.0L engine size are mostly driven by foreigners on a very tight budget (students , factory workers, Nigerians and Asians that relocated to the abroad) the hard truth , they do not use premium oil. they stretch their oil changes and the only thing they do is possibly follow oil weight recommendations e.g 5w30 mineral oil , 5w20 mineral oil etc.

You will mostly likely find premium maintenance on luxury vehicles like the BMW, range rovers , mercerdes , high end Lexus vehicles etc and etc. The tax alone for driving vehicles with that many horses can only be comfortably paid by owners who are not on a tight budget .

What happens when an engine that has been on stretched mineral oil changes , switching to full synthetic is usually catastrophic.

Oil leaks, smoking, and oil burn. In rare cases, a buildup of sludge collects in the oil pump strainer, starving the oil pump of required flow of oil, results usually engine knocking .

Summary for engine oil.

Before you change your oil use this simple trick to help you know what the previous user was using .

Open or peep into the valve cover so you can see the internal parts of the engine .

Original engine colour = full synthetic used.

A coat of brown or gold = mineral or semi synthetic used

Black = an abused engine

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That First Service. by Treadway: 11:18pm On May 20, 2023
corisande:
Following

First oil change i did i used mobil xhp 20w50, second oil change mechanic adviced to use Mobil 5w30 semi synthetic. I serviced last week and i used 20w50.
My worry is which oil is best to use as I cannot find the recommended oil around me which is 5w20

you can keep on using the Mobil 5w30 bought from Mobil stations without fear. It has a black cover and sells for about 12k or so. It has the API SN+ certification, so the quality is there. It is semi-synthetic and does the job just fine. 5w30 can be used safely when 5w20 is unavailable or too expensive as 5w20 comes as full synthetic most times. I have been using it for years both on my personal cars and the cars I sell with zero issues.

1 Like

Re: That First Service. by dare01: 8:14am On May 21, 2023
Nice write up
Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:32am On May 21, 2023
Part 8

SUSPENSION .

BRAKES.

Quality brake pads do not come cheap, but they are quiet when braking. There are so many different types of brake pads in the market today.

Most foreign used vehicles cone in with warped brake rotors, they require replacement or machining if thickness is still viable.

Brake oil is often neglected as a service part and should be flushed every 100k km

How brakes work.

Brake oil is an incompressible fluid.

Aging brake oil will become contaminated with water.

Hydraulics transmit pressure from the brake pedal evenly across all 4 wheels. (Basics)

On bad terrain that requires regular braking , heat caused by friction gets transmitted to the brake pads, they in turn transmit to the brake oil, when the intensity exceeds threshold, hydraulics begin to boil literarily. Boiling hydraulics will cause brakes to fail as the incompressible fluid is now a gas closer to the caliper area, several brake pumps are required to bring vehicle to a stop. This behavior is common with very poor road conditions, coupled with aging brake oil, it also quickly reverts to normal without any human interference when it cools off.

Aging brake oil also has poor lubricating qualities and will quickly wear out metal and rubber parts in the braking assembly.

Going back to the story, there was never any need to replace brake parts which were assumed to be faulty. Only 2 parts brake oil and brake pads should have been replaced.

Since we are still talking about that first service let us wander into 1 or 2 suspension members that are easily religated to the background till kasala burst.

DIFFERENTIAL FLUIDS

In most modern vehicles this name would only come up if you drive a rear axle powered vehicle or an AWD or 4WD vehicle . The days of having one transmission with 2 fluids are thankfully over.

So if you own a rear axle or 4wd vehicle you have fluids that keep the differentials lubricated. In lay man's terms they are called auxillary, depending on manufacturer the oils last about and average of 100k km and should be checked at least 1nce a year.

POWER STEERING FLUIDS.

I am typing this and feeling guilty already, the fluid in one of my vehicles has never been replaced 1 decade later lipsrsealed , it is almost always overlooked , but very necessary, most steering pump and rack failures are easily avoidable with the right fluids .

JOINTS AND BOOTHS.

Joints on a suspension should be checked especially if double wishbone is involved (the Honda type of suspension 1989-2013) there are quick none invasive ways for a quick check.

Always realign vehicle after any major suspension jobs.

BOOTHS

A leaking C.V axle booth will result in needless axle replacement in under 2,000 miles , worse when it's raining season. You have steering rack booths, ball joints, sway bar links and even strut booths, that first service and check will go a long way to keep you out of the mechanic workshop IF DONE RIGHT.

This takes me to Transmission next part

2 Likes

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:32am On May 21, 2023
Part 9

TRANSMISSIONS

First a greater percentage of transmission oils in the Nigerian market are generic clones of the original and will cause transmission failure sooner or later.

In this part of the world, we are usually our own problem.

Very common to see own goals created by human error.

Contamination: Transmissions have a very sensitive section called the valve body, it is where a lot of fluid processing occurs, very tiny oil passages under varying pressure loads/ values create that smooth gear selection we all take for granted.

What happens when a grain of sand enters the valve body? Well for starters if you are lucky, one of the oil strainers will get it, and it will not cause a problem long term, this happens with oil drains and refill.

Unfortunately when axle are involved, there is no strainer so save the transmission, a grain of sand will find it's way into the holy of holies and will upset oil flow in tiny passages which in turn will upset oil pressures, after a few hours you begin to hear stories like gear only works in reverse, or certain gears work and others don't, flaring and hard shifting follow suite and before long you are setback thousands to millions on a transmission repair because of a grain of sand.

How does the transmission get contaminated?

Unsanitary work conditions, working on bare soil, dirty equipment and poor preparation before taking out or removing axles.

As a rule, before taking out the C.V from a transmission,

* Clean/wash the transmission area on the lower side, this will prevent loose soil from becoming part of the equation.

* Ensure all funnels and pipes to be used are
clean and free of contaminants. Ensure all
tools to be used are clean.

* When axles are out, cover them safely and
do not place them on bare ground.

* When replacing seals, ensure hands are
clean clean clean, use as little silicone as
possible.

* When reinserting axles into transmission if
they were exposed, wash thoroughly and
keep surrounding area clean clean clean

The oil pan under the transmission is another factor that can cause transmission failure long term, On rough terrain, the transmission could receive impact, and this impact would result in a dent on the transmission oil pan, the oil pan has a pickup filter just close to the base of the pan, the impact could cause a drop in oil flow thereby starving the transmission of required oil pressure so always inspect the oil pan. It is also not uncommon for technician to place a jack on the oil pan during certain jobs and unconsciously dent the oil pan.

Finally if transmission oil colour is no longer pink, drain and refill, it will save you a visit to repair long term always buy original transmission oils.

6 Likes

Re: That First Service. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:43am On May 21, 2023
Part 10 and last part.

So you just got a new car? Nigerian used, foreign used.

Find the service history if you can, it might save you a lot on certain service processes you could skip till the milage interval reaches.

As much as possible get original replacment parts, long term it is good for your pocket.

Get a small hand held scan tool, it will help you with small diagnosis when the need arises.

Read up and watch videos on YouTube if you patronise roadside under the mango tree mechanics, that way you already know what to expect during a proceedure and can guide him / her.

Do not buy semi synthetic oil, stick to either mineral or full synthetic, anything in between is a scam.

Do not stretch your oil change intervals especially if you live in Lagos , traffic has already taken 1k miles in every 5k.

Cheap shocks will work when installed, but the after effects within a short time are bending, and becoming super hard causing a very uncomfortable ride. Toks shocks are gambling.

Engine Oil burn is not a death sentence, top up your engine oil if the oil goes down learn how much oil your engine burns in x miles so you are ahead.

Do not overfll tyre pressure , check drivers door for recommended tyre pressure, and again, get your own tyre pressure gauge and have them use it while showing you when pumping tyres.

Listen to your vehicle and memories it's different sounds when ok. A change in sound means something is happening, that was not happening before, a vehicle does not self heal, it is mostly friction and more damage, so when you have a new sound, consult.

Drive safe, enjoy your new ride.

10 Likes

Re: That First Service. by triplek2000: 8:57am On May 21, 2023
nice
Re: That First Service. by fuckboys: 9:00am On May 21, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
Part 7.

Not every Foreign used car ran on synthetic engine oil before being imported into the country.

Corrolas, kias, Hondas and most vehicles in the 1L-2.0L engine size are mostly driven by foreigners on a very tight budget (students , factory workers, Nigerians and Asians that relocated to the abroad) the hard truth , they do not use premium oil. they stretch their oil changes and the only thing they do is possibly follow oil weight recommendations e.g 5w30 mineral oil , 5w20 mineral oil etc.

You will mostly likely find premium maintenance on luxury vehicles like the BMW, range rovers , mercerdes , high end Lexus vehicles etc and etc. The tax alone for driving vehicles with that many horses can only be comfortably paid by owners who are not on a tight budget .

What happens when an engine that has been on stretched mineral oil changes , switching to full synthetic is usually catastrophic.

Oil leaks, smoking, and oil burn. In rare cases, a buildup of sludge collects in the oil pump strainer, starving the oil pump of required flow of oil, results usually engine knocking .

Summary for engine oil.

Before you change your oil use this simple trick to help you know what the previous user was using .

Open or peep into the valve cover so you can see the internal parts of the engine .

Black = an abused engine

Re: That First Service. by laivwire(m): 9:11am On May 21, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
Part 7.

Bookmarked!
Re: That First Service. by theadeola(m): 9:35am On May 21, 2023
Is this the same for direct Japan engines?

GAZZUZZ:
Part 7.

Summary for engine oil.

Black = an abused engine

Re: That First Service. by SamuelLoch: 9:44am On May 21, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
Part 7.

Summary for engine oil.

Black = an abused engine

Gazzuzz, this is an eye opener!

Let's say the car is an abused engine or the user has been using a semi synthetic oil, what will you advise? Continue with whatever the previous user was using?

You wrote it up there that switching to a fully synthetic oil is usually terrible.
How do you keep the engine health okay?

4 Likes

Re: That First Service. by 9icetoo(m): 9:50am On May 21, 2023
corisande:
Following

Use 5w30 if you can't find 5w20.

It will still serve.

2 Likes

Re: That First Service. by Manuella4ace: 10:18am On May 21, 2023
SamuelLoch:

Gazzuzz, this is an eye opener!

Let's say the car is an abused engine or the user has been using a semi synthetic oil, what will you advise? Continue with whatever the previous user was using?

You wrote it up there that switching to a fully synthetic oil is usually terrible.
Hiw do you keeo the engine health okay?

Black = an abused engine

Read this too

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

2006 Mercedes-benz Ml350(forget Benz Na Benz) / Honda Crv 2010 Model With Dvd And Navigation / Sold! Sold!! Sold!!! Very Clean Tokunbo Honda Accord 2007(E.O.D Contn) - 1.950m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.