Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage (638 Views)

12 Ways A Nigerian Mother Reacts When You Are Not Ready For Marriage / "Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids To Our Daughters For Marriage" - Nigerian Parents / I Dream Of Death Anytime I Quarrel With My Wife. I Need Your Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Walkerstilldey: 5:53pm On May 13, 2023
Any advice
Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by donbachi(m): 5:54pm On May 13, 2023
Choose your demon wisely

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by immortalcrown(m): 5:56pm On May 13, 2023
Marry for your peace of mind. Do not marry to chase clout and impress the public.

Marriage is not a scam as fools claim. There are good prospective spouses in the society. Getting a good spouse or a bad one depends on your priorities when you are single and searching.

No perfect human. Do not create a scene for public attention over your spouse's little faults. Call third parties into your marriage only when your spouse's fault is life-threatening. Those couples who never complain are not saints in their own marriage. But they live peacefully because they understand that life goes with tolerance and forgiveness.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Hotwest: 6:02pm On May 13, 2023
Don't get married

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by VeryWickedPrick: 6:19pm On May 13, 2023
Rip in advance.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Exmilitant(m): 6:28pm On May 13, 2023
So sorry for you losing your unlimited freedom. embarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by thesicilian: 7:17pm On May 13, 2023
In over 95% of cases, marriage is not worth it and is a big setback to mostly the men. But an interesting fact is that most people think theirs will be different.

11 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by balaclava: 7:23pm On May 13, 2023
Marry if you want to.

It has its advantages; companionship, combined resources, nuclear kinda family procreation, children and a lot more.

...also has its low points, subtle bondage šŸ˜€, Cheating, Fights/Misunderstandings and lots more.

Do whatever suits you but know that going forward it's your responsibility.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Stevenbright(m): 7:24pm On May 13, 2023
Think twice about who you choos as your partner.

Don't let the physical outlook of the person deceive you, character and values is the key!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On May 13, 2023
Walkerstilldey:
Any advice
Like? undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 13, 2023
1. Do not discuss unresolved fight, disagreement between you and your spouse to your in law , parents or elders. Get a neutral party who will not pick sides.
2. Have sex often
3. Plan how to save money or else
4. Space and decide how many children you want to have.
5. Sharing duties show how how much you love each other
6. God First, your spouse and your children second and your parents and your in law third

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Tayorshd87: 8:10pm On May 13, 2023
thesicilian:
In over 95% of cases, marriage is not worth it and is a big setback to mostly the men. But an interesting fact is that most people think theirs will be different.

My brother u have spoken very well but if we we didn't sometimes ehn how do we give birth and be happy to see our young once šŸ¤”

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by thesicilian: 8:19pm On May 13, 2023
Tayorshd87:

My brother u have spoken very well but if we we didn't sometimes ehn how do we give birth and be happy to see our young once šŸ¤”
No be lie o bro. When you see those children running out to hug you, or simply smiling at you, all your problems seem to disappear

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Tayorshd87: 10:28pm On May 13, 2023
thesicilian:

No be lie o bro. When you see those children running out to hug you, or simply smiling at you, all your problems seem to disappear

You are a man you truly understand my emotion ..

But yet male God help us šŸ™

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by JeffreyJunior: 1:28am On May 14, 2023
Let love lead no be for marriage because just like a seed, it can germinate and still die. Demand more than love, more than fear of god and more than good character especially if vouched by someone other than yourself.

Accept you have faults, we all do and make sure she accepts hers and takes responsibility for her actions. If she finds it hard to say sorry, please and thank you, abort mission now to avoid had I known.

The most important advise is marry someone with self discipline, someone who has some integrity to protect especially family integrity. She will hardly let her herself or her family down if they have good integrity.

If she can't give you peace in courtship, ain't no way she is gonna give you that in marriage. Take note.

Overly religious lady is a no no for me but I can't say for you or anyone else. So this one is your call.

I will give you one controversial advice that you may seem uncomfortable with and it goes this way...Marry someone who can look you in the face and tell you no, with no insults though.

If she can boldly say no to you, she can say it to anyone and that's the kind of woman you need on your side.

Shalom.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Divoc19(f): 3:49am On May 14, 2023
Marriage is not for everybody
Make it a renewable contract
If you don't feel right about it.
Please leave on time. So that you don't bring children to suffer

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by SMJay: 6:15am On May 14, 2023
Modern marriage is a living death for men.

I loved my wife for a while and she adored me and we had three beautiful children and still it slowly descended into tedious, grinding, soul-crushing misery. Endless nagging, constant complaints, ungratefulness, squandering money, walking back promises about shared goals, cheating, selfishness, deranged behavior, everything every man tries to avoid. It finally imploded after 8 years when she commenced a legal battle that cost us over $50,000 in attorney fees. Our children are scarred for life. We despise each other with a red hot hatred that I never would have thought possible. The real kicker? I thought I had gotten lucky when I met her.

Hereā€™s the awful truth no one teaches young men:

The voluntary, love-based, monogamous marriage is impossible for the vast majority of people. Evolution favors variety. Deep in our unconscious brains we are programmed by evolution to repel each other. Marriage, at its core, was never about love. It was about survival and social stability and gender-based division of labor in a pre-modem era when the lives of everyone in the family unit, especially children, depended on that bond. Men are polygamous, women are hypergamous. We come from an alpha male/harem of females evolutionary dynamic, as do the vast majority of social mammals. Geneticists have proven we have several times more female ancestors than male ancestors. Such societies are inherently unstable however. Marriage was the solution to this problem that allowed us to create civilization.

Now marriage is irrelevant. Modern technology and the police and welfare states have solved all the problems marriage was designed to solve in the first place. Now itā€™s unnecessary. The practical origins of marriage are utterly lost on modern women (and a lot of men to be honest). We have replaced it with an unworkable, fantastical, imbecilic model based on voluntary commitment and romantic love WHICH DOES NOT WORK. Marriageā€™s days were numbered with the onset of the industrial revolution. In the 1960s and 1970s the religious and legal and social constraints that held most marriages together were dismantled. Worse still, we now have an antiquated family court system that punishes men but rewards women. Add in birth control and abortion on demand and smart phones and social media and dating apps and failure is practically guaranteed. Women are never satisfied. Itā€™s in their DNA. Briffaultā€™s Law is real. Marriage must be externally enforced (law, church, etc) for it to survive in the VAST majority of cases. Women are, by nature, materialistic and erratic and solipsistic and duplicitous and malcontented and emotionally disregulated and irrational. When it comes to men, a womanā€™s ā€œloveā€is both opportunistic and extractive. No matter how much attention or money you give her it will never be enough. Just ask Will Smith or BIll Gates or Jeff Bezos or Brad Pitt (ETA: or Sylvester Stallone or Tom Brady). I donā€™t think it is biology possible for a women to be content in a relationship. It makes perfect sense from an evolutionary perspective. Lasting love (which is different from romantic love) cannot exist without trust. Men simply cannot trust ANY women given the current family court system and modern womenā€™s ridiculous expectations and womenā€™s underlying nature. When divorce became an option for every woman, at any time, for any reason, marriage became risk prohibitive for every man. No sane man would sign a modern marriage contract if he really knew what he was getting into.

Hell is a wife. Marriage ruins menā€™s lives. It will destroy your dreams. A wife will eat your soul. Being legally and financially at the mercy of a womanā€™s emotions is an exhausting, grinding, slow-motion horror I canā€™t even begin to describe. Marriage is nothing but a loaded gun pointed at a manā€™s head and the woman gets cash and prizes for pulling the trigger. Iā€™ve had cancer and Iā€™ve been married to a woman who loved me and cancer was preferable. At least I didnā€™t have to pretend to love the cancer as it was slowly killing me. At least cancer went about it in silence. At least cancerā€™s behavior was comprehensible.

Until the laws change and society reverts back to a rational model for marriage that is enforceable, NEVER, EVER, GET F-ING MARRIED IF YOUā€™RE A MAN!!
COPIED

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Pojomojo: 7:00am On May 14, 2023
My parent have been married for 3 decades, here are a few little gems Iā€™ve picked up from them over the years.

From Mom:

If you donā€™t want to be a pig farmers wife, donā€™t date a pig farmer.

You wonā€™t always be in love with him, there are time you will be tired of his face. Just take a deep breath and ACT like you are in Love. Pretty soon you will be again.

Tell him whatā€™s wrong, he canā€™t read your mind.

Always be working on a goal together. They set a goal and a plan on how to get there. Whether itā€™s saving money, buying property or taking a vacation. Make a plan together. They say it keeps them happy and focused to always be working towards something rather than just working to pay the bills.

Take him to bed often and well.

What ever his hobby is, learn to love it. If you donā€™t some other woman will.

Keep a neat house. Have a place for everything and put things back in their place after using them. Life is smoother when things are orderly. ( But donā€™t be crazy about it)

Laugh and joke. Play is important.

Never say things in anger. If you are angry, go away, shut up. Come back when you are calm and can discuss what happened rationally. Don't scream or yell. It doesn't help, in fact it can only hurt because once you say something hateful you can never take it back and the other person can never forget it. No one can hurt you as deeply as your spouse, they know where all the tender spots are.

From Dad:

Learn to know what she wants and get it done before she knows she wants it done.

Live to make her happy.

Make sure she has a desk and then keep your hands off of it.

Be polite, be civil. You should always treat family with the same courtesy that you would show a stranger. After all family will be in your life forever.

Hold hands, bring gifts for her.

From Both of them:

They had agreed that if they ever separated the one leaving had to take the kids. ( I think this was a joke but maybe not?)

Expect that your spouse will call you on your shit. Someone has to tell you when you are out of line. Sometimes we need help to be our better selves, thatā€™s their job, respect it. Love them for caring enough to do it.

Live below your means. This allows you to meet emergencies, build wealth and retirement.

Iā€™ve seen them each think of the other first my entire life. When itā€™s hot outside and sheā€™s going to go to the store, he goes out and moves her car into the shade so it will be cool when she gets into it. Iā€™ve seen her bake cookies for him when she sees him rooting through the pantry. Each would take a bullet for the other. They are inspiring.

Addition: GOSH, thank you everyone.

I thought of two more from Mom. Work, donā€™t sit home on a satin pillow waiting for him to provide everything, itā€™s a partnership, pull your weight. This does several thingsā€¦.

1. It keeps you aware of the outside world, this helps you discuss things and keep relevant.

2. It helps take some of the pressure for supporting the family off of him. Even if all you do is earn the money for a vacation or enough to pay the taxes at the end of the year, it helps.

3. It gives you security ( a way to survive) if anything ever happens to him ( death, divorce, losing a job).

4. It can give the family savings and investment opportunities.

The second: Always pay your bills on time, late fees can eat you alive.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Darlingme(f): 7:18am On May 14, 2023
Be financially stable. Inorder words, be doing something that fetches you money either you're the man or the woman. It's very important.

Marry a kind person. Someone that easily forgive. Someone that have the same family value as yours.
Never marry anyone that will make you turn all your family members to enemy.
Above all, go close to your creator to help you decide on the appropriate person you NEED, because he is your creator, he knows better.
Good luck

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Zyxsc: 7:34am On May 14, 2023
As a man, don't expect it to favour you. Avoid it if you can. There's nothing in it for you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by wunmi590(m): 7:48am On May 14, 2023

Not much advice, than to make sure you are financially stable, be responsible, not every little mistake you will turn to argument, remember you being married with another character is different from being single....

As you enter into the union, you will get to learn more

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by JovialJune(f): 7:59am On May 14, 2023
Well your fellow men always say marriage doesn't favour men, so my advice is pls don't marry, avoid it like a plague.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Pojomojo: 10:03am On May 14, 2023
JovialJune:
Well your fellow men always say marriage doesn't favour men, so my advice is pls don't marry, avoid it like a plague.
ALL men?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by JovialJune(f): 11:21am On May 14, 2023
Pojomojo:
ALL men?

Yes

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by ibechris(m): 11:29am On May 14, 2023
Adore your wife.

Don't bad mouth her.

Remember that her body will change after birth,don't ever bad mouth her as that is one of the sacrifices to be made.

Discuss money with ur wife often and don't settle for a liability as wife.
Help her in the kitchen at Yr spare time,don't listen to those alpha males,they are home destroyers.

At my age,I still wash my plates,and my son has learnt it,my girls compete to wash their plates...because I have set the example for them.

Avoid making friends with men who see women as house wife's or suffer head.

Good luck.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Pojomojo: 2:45pm On May 21, 2023
Re: What Is Your Advice To Those Getting Ready For Marriage by Pojomojo: 2:45pm On May 21, 2023
wink
ibechris:
Adore your wife.

Don't bad mouth her.

Remember that her body will change after birth,don't ever bad mouth her as that is one of the sacrifices to be made.

Discuss money with ur wife often and don't settle for a liability as wife.
Help her in the kitchen at Yr spare time,don't listen to those alpha males,they are home destroyers.

At my age,I still wash my plates,and my son has learnt it,my girls compete to wash their plates...because I have set the example for them.

Avoid making friends with men who see women as house wife's or suffer head.

Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

Please Nairalanders, Patronize My Younger Sister. She's Into The Sale Of PO. / I Need A Vet / Had A Dream Today Easter Sunday: Any Intrepreter In The House?please Help:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.