Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,999 members, 7,835,371 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine (254 Views)

Baby Born With A Rare Condition In Umaru Shehu Hospital In Borno (Graphic) / Woman Diagnosed With Rare Condition That Prevents Her From Hearing MALE Voices / How To Train Your Brain To Stop Worrying ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by AImiron: 5:23pm On May 14, 2023
When Emily Balfour visited her GP after an ice-skating accident, she was diagnosed with a string of rare health conditions that changed her life forever

Once a sporty and active teenager, Emily Balfour is now mostly bed bound.

A trip to the doctors after an ice-skating accident when she was 14 uncovered a cascade of health problems that now see her suffer from 'relentless levels of pain'.
The incident in 2011 saw her diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos syndromes (EDS) - a collection of rare conditions affecting the connective tissues that make her joints unstable and prone to dislocation

Emily, now 25, was told she also has craniocervical instability (CCI), meaning the area where her skull and spine meet is dangerously unstable

Horrifyingly, her brain is now slipping down her spine due to a condition known as Chiari malformation - whereby the lower part of her brain has herniated and is pushing down through the top of her spinal column.

Emily's dreams of working in film have been shattered given she isn't well enough to complete her degree or hold down a job.

"I'm not able to participate in life, I'm unable to work and I keep having to delay the completion of my degree," Emily said.

" Ihave limited vision, I can't see out of my left eye and I have recently dealt with limb paralysis."

Emily says her brainstem has been damaged to the point where her body is not functioning, and she suffers daily from extreme fatigue, periods of paralysis and loss of vision.

As a result, Emily now finds herself largely bed-bound and is regularly in and out of hospital.

She suffers from excruciating symptoms which threaten irreversible physical disability and potentially death.

Earlier this year, Emily was rushed to hospital after her left arm became paralysed and swollen.

She said: "It looked like a dead person's arm, I feared I'd never regain mobility of it.

"It turned out I was struggling with blood flow to the arm, and I've regained limited use of my arm, but I'm high risk of it happening again.

"I've seen people with these conditions lose function of their arms completely and that obviously concerns me because I live by myself.

https://www mirror co uk/news/real-life-stories/student-living-hell-rare-condition-29930506?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Chai things are happening. Nlfpmod mynd44 this is another frontpage worthy news.

Re: Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by Afonjanistan: 5:35pm On May 14, 2023
I will still Bleep her to be honest with you.
Re: Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by AImiron: 5:54pm On May 14, 2023
Nlfpmod frontpage
Re: Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by AImiron: 5:55pm On May 14, 2023
Afonjanistan:
I will still Bleep her to be honest with you.
You're sick.

1 Like

Re: Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:56pm On May 14, 2023
This skiing has destroyed the lives of many people
Re: Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by chariisGRACE(m): 6:09pm On May 14, 2023
What's the point of living?

Cases like this would make some people appreciate dying.
Re: Student 'living In Hell' As Rare Condition Causes Brain To Slip Down Spine by AImiron: 7:59pm On May 14, 2023
Nlfpmod mynd44 frontpage

(1) (Reply)

Where And How To Buy All Dr Rashel Products Online In Nigeria / What To Know About Anxiety / Diabetes / Prostate Cancer/Inflammation ? Try This Free Method.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.