Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. (6388 Views)

My First Basic Sign Up Web Page With Little Of Php / Feature You Like The Most About Your Favorite Programming Language? / Sign-up For Garage48 Lagos: From Idea To Service In 48 Hours! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by lugan: 11:50pm On Oct 05, 2011
and about the game developers site, there is this guy i met on facebook, his name is benedict,and he own a site for the nigeria edition of the IGDA(international game developers association), he told me he will soon complete the registration process, im sure you guys have heard of igda, ots like the headqtr is located at san diego, you can check up the site and tell me what you think!!!, the guy is a game freak too but during our phone discussion he told me he makes use of a software named gamemaker for his game, and one more thing he finished at unilag!!!, ,so just google IGDA nigeria and follow the link!!!,
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by lugan: 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2011
[url][/url]igdanigeria.
go straight to the site from here, good luck
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Tolu619: 2:49pm On Oct 07, 2011
@Gameaddict, someone else is working on all the modelling and texturing in my game. My job is coding the entities. My friend makes 3D videos as a hobby and his models are as good as typical PS2 models. The art style is realistic. I tried to convince my team that even if we weren't using realistic models, we should use an art style similar to that in Brink(XBox 360 & PS3) or WWE All Stars but they wouldn't listen.
If you guys are doing your meeting in Lagos, I might show up just to share ideas. I've already said I won't be able to work on anything with this group yet.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2011
Blender Tuts because i've been scratching my head on how to turn my drawings to simple 3d objects.
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/

cry blender aint that easy esp without a mouse.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 11:35am On Oct 09, 2011
@lugan: I've downloaded the files but I haven't tested them. Skool resumes next week so you can call anytime to collect it.

@pc_guru: Thanks.

I think video tutorials especially those about the interface, navigation and creation of simple objects are the best way to learn some apps especially 3d modeling apps. Try watching some videos on youtube or http://blender.cgcookie.com

@everyone: what are your suggestions for the location of the meeting?

I've finished the tetris game using this tutorial: http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2011/05/02/creation-of-a-complete-flash-tetris-game/ I'm trying to improve on it using this one: http://gametuto.com/tetris-tutorial-in-c-render-independent/

The ludo game is still giving me problems cuz I had some as3 misconceptions regarding positioning. if I use a constant to draw objects, it is positioned correctly but assigning this constant to the sprite's x and y values gives me a different result. Anyone used as3 before?
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by lugan: 3:33pm On Oct 09, 2011
@gameaddict. GREAT!!!
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
Trying to come up with a character. But am guessing something simpler might do. My problem is my type of drawing is manga.

Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 10:53pm On Oct 10, 2011
@pc guru: The image is not loading. check it.

It doesn't matter if your style is manga or otherwise. What matters is how and what ideas can be expressed through the style and the answer = infinite.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 11, 2011
i use AS3 Flash Cartesian Plane is the reserve of a typical plane Y Positive is down instead of Up
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 1:03pm On Oct 11, 2011
@pc guru: That angel is awesome shocked The weapon is strange though. Make it more scary.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2011
was suppose to be sephiroth i hate my pencil HB gets easily blunt might go out shopping for different type of pencils.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 11, 2011
in Final Fantasy the Weapon was like 4 times longer than a regular one.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 8:22pm On Oct 11, 2011
I just saw the sword. http://www.squidoo.com/final-fantasy-swords

The original's dimensions seem accurate except for the length. I prefer the buster sword. The masamune is just too dangerous, I'd injure myself holding it grin
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 11:17pm On Oct 12, 2011
I'm trying to understand how unity's networking works, It's kinda complicated and I've had no experience with networking except from a player's perspective. The networking example project is a great help but lacks explanation on certain things. I guess I'll have to bombard grin the unity forum with questions if I don't get things working by next week.

Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by lugan: 8:44am On Oct 14, 2011
Gameaddict and pc guru, you guyz have gone far!!!!!!,
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 14, 2011
@Lugan yes to some point, its still the Blender giving me headache hoping to make a small demo but since i can't do modelling well will experinment with basic Sphere trying to do a bounce type of thing but in 3d, The Unity will it export to flash, its only Flash Platform i can do 3d in for now.still jacking up C++.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by lugan: 10:50pm On Oct 14, 2011
@pc guru. I will still prefer the blender 3d because of its features and again I'm a python freak and remember blender games can only be written in python!!!, I guess with video tutorials and having great skill in linear algebra,trigonometry,matrices and calculus blender will be easy to use!!!, keep it up I will join u guyz soon!!!, I've not gotten those softwares that's wat is delaying me.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 2:02am On Oct 15, 2011
@pc guru: unity3d uses javascript and c#. Future Versions will also compile to flash. There's a video of the conversion on their site already. Learning the language is easy and the engine is well documented.

Try getting some videos on blender usage on youtube. It's the best way to get up to speed with it.

@lugan: We're resuming on monday. You can call next week or send a message so you can get the files.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by lugan: 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for gameaddict, I think I owe u!!!!, I will surely call,I called early this week you didn't pick the call, though I just dialled your number twice, but I will make sure I call you!!!
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 8:06pm On Oct 15, 2011
@lugan: sorry, my phone is not always with me when I'm home cuz its a boring phone. I'm always with it when I'm going somewhere though. Just send me a message so I can save your number.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 8:47am On Oct 19, 2011
@zeta: I've downloaded the file and it looks nice except for the screen size issue.
How do you plan the path for each object in the game. Are the tiles themselves represented as objects so they can be used for pathfinding?
The source code will be very useful to all of us. Thanks for helping.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 12:41am On Oct 22, 2011
Finally starting to understand the networking aspect of unity3d, Multiplayer shooter in a few,
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 4:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
Hi guys!

I've uploaded an alpha version of the Multiplayer FPS to the project page on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/naijadev/files/NETWORK_TEST/NETWORK_TEST.7z/download
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by RJones: 5:39am On Nov 02, 2011
[I'm crossposting this for visibility. Apologies if I'm breaking some unknown forum rule]

A while back I'd been thinking of making a game along these lines. Actually had a title for it "Escape from Bakassi". It was going to be a platformer on Unity3D that'd pay homage in a way to Contra.

A little background about me. I work in the US for a well known Fortune 500 company. I've gotten a fair amount of programming and project management experience on several projects.

I've been thinking about giving some of my knowledge back by mentoring a few serious minded folks to start a proper Nigerian game development firm in 2012.

While I don't think it would be reasonable to promise immediate success, I did want to consider a 2 year focused investment in this area as I considered this enough time to do something substantial.

It seems on this thread there are quite a few people who are passionate about this. So perhaps there's a chance to get this started for real.

PM me your cell phone number if you're interested and I'll make an international call so we can chat a bit.

------

Here is my own idea of a storyline:

The government of Nigeria is having problems with groups of militants who have taken it upon themselves to terrorise the oil rich Niger-Delta. They engage in vandalism, extortion, Robbery and kidnapping.

An american oil expatriate is kidnapped. Pressure begins to mount on the government from the U.S to rescue the man. They know going all out with the Nigerian Military will endanger the captives life.

They call on the Nigerian Secret Agency(NSA) who then appoints Agent Badmus Haruna aka Baba, their most trusted and experienced agent. His mission is to find and rescue the man.
------
Agent Baba will be our actor. He is to go from one militant base to another. Because we want this short and less complex, we may just draw out 3 militant bases located maybe in a forest, building and around moutains etc. As he goes, he picks up notes/clues telling him important details. From this we will again enough knowledge to begin a RTS/FPS Game engine.

So friends, what do you think? Lets read more storylines. Its getting interest already.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 9:56am On Nov 03, 2011
@rJones: nice and simple storyline. I like the idea.

I don't think the pm function is available for users. Maybe you should drop your mail or something.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by RJones: 10:24am On Nov 03, 2011
rasputinjones2k@gmail.com

BTW. What resources are you using at the moment to learn how unity works?
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 10:43am On Nov 03, 2011
Video tutorials on youtube and written tutorials on some blogs. I'll check my bookmarks and list some of the sites when I get home.
I also use the documentation a lot as it contains code examples.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by gameaddict(m): 11:54pm On Nov 05, 2011
On second thought, I don't think using the niger delta in any game that involves fighting against militants is a good idea.

I think Worldbest suggested something similar last year or so but we decided to change it because the issue is a sensitive one.
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by yommysomguy(m): 2:11am On Nov 08, 2011
Yes oo
Re: Game Ideas: Find, Post Yours, Sign Up As Developer If You Like Any. by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 08, 2011
gameaddict:

On second thought, I don't think using the niger delta in any game that involves fighting against militants is a good idea.

I think Worldbest suggested something similar last year or so but we decided to change it because the issue is a sensitive one.
The more reason why you should do it. Look at Grand theft Auto: there is no iteration of that game that does not come with its share of criticisms, not just based on technical shortcomings but also on sensitive issues. Matter of fact, I always look forward to it because of that. I know that we have different views but I definitely would never work with anyone who is afraid to offend others.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Create A Desktop Shortcut For My Application? / Practical Introduction To Python Web Programming / Working Or Looking For Foreign Remote Software Developer Job As A Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.