Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,103 members, 7,835,727 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Is Nigeria Really The Problem - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Nigeria Really The Problem (1157 Views)

The Problem Of Becoming A Developer / Please, Help Solve The Problem Of Appearing Ending Line \r\n / The Problem Is Foxpro In Windows XP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Yourprick: 10:50pm On May 15, 2023
Saw this on Twitter ,has anyone tried this

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by hadjipapiey(m): 10:54pm On May 15, 2023
Chaii
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Ever8090: 11:09pm On May 15, 2023
Some Idan wey jakpa no see work dey sleep under bridge oooo.... so me japa come back 9ja come meet us.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:21pm On May 15, 2023
Honestly this is true. It's not just even Europe. I was just chatting with a computer science student in Chile and oracle came to do interview for them in their school and they didn't give them any take home or algorithm challenge they just asked them to make videos talking about themselves and they gave them jobs just like that. We Africans are really unfortunate in the global scheme of things

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Jashub: 11:29pm On May 15, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Honestly this is true. It's not just even Europe. I was just chatting with a computer science student in Chile and oracle came to do interview for them in their school and they didn't give them any take home or algorithm challenge they just asked them to make videos talking about themselves and they gave them jobs just like that. We Africans are really unfortunate in the global scheme of things
True talk
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by LikeAking: 11:41pm On May 15, 2023
Yourprick:

100% true..

When you some of the repo of the white guys working you laff tire..

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by LikeAking: 11:42pm On May 15, 2023
Make we try build our own industry una say no...

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Shokoloko(f): 11:42pm On May 15, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Nope, it's specific to Nigeria, not Africa
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:45pm On May 15, 2023
Shokoloko:

Nope, it's specific to Nigeria, not Africa

Other African countries are worst than Nigeria with regards to jobs. The only one slightly better than Nigeria is south Africa but Nigeria triumphs everywhere else. Trust me, very few people don apply to jobs or into this thing pass me.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Gerrard59(m): 3:49am On May 16, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Other African countries are worst than Nigeria with regards to jobs. The only one slightly better than Nigeria is south Africa but Nigeria triumphs everywhere else. Trust me, very few people don apply to jobs or into this thing pass me.

I don't know why our people hate numbers, data and stats. The numbers don't lie. You have preached this before, but they disagreed with you. We, as black people, seem to have this dislike for numbers. It is prevalent across social media. Other races go along with the data, but our people, including Ndi African Americans, rely on trust me bro and i no fit lie for you as evidence.

Here are snapshots from randomly selected countries. I don't consider North African countries to be African. I see those folks as Arabs who should have been in the Middle East.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Gerrard59(m): 3:51am On May 16, 2023

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Gerrard59(m): 3:58am On May 16, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

About the guy I told you about, when he landed, his LinkedIn was still set to open to new jobs/roles. Every day, he would receive messages from recruiters inviting him to interviews. He declined all because he is a student. At one point, it got too much, and he changed the settings. On his own, he applied for remote work with $110K as the offer, and passed the interviews but was denied the role as he was on student visa. Today, bros has gotten three jobs, and all he is waiting for is to graduate. He told me that work dey abroad, and it was until he left he did not know that we were losing out while in Africa. This is someone who was earning 150K per month o while in Nigeria.

When he becomes a permanent resident, only God knows how much he will earn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by davien(m): 4:56am On May 16, 2023
LikeAking:

100% true..

When you some of the repo of the white guys working you laff tire..

Exactly this. I saw the repo of a foreigner earning $300k and there was nothing special, just facebook clone and tic tac toe games.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by PARADIZEPRIEST: 5:48am On May 16, 2023
Those who misruled naija are the problem not Nigeria,this what the ordinary citizens are ignorant of. grin hold them to account after living govt.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by PARADIZEPRIEST: 5:48am On May 16, 2023
Those who misruled naija are the problem not Nigeria,this what the ordinary citizens are ignorant of. angry hold them to account after leaving govt and next ruler will behave. undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Maxxim: 6:14am On May 16, 2023
PARADIZEPRIEST:
Those who misruled naija are the problem not Nigeria,this what the ordinary citizens are ignorant of. grin hold them to account after living govt.
Are you sure they're the problem or all this first world country are only looking for reasons to disprove us and our talents, I believe they made this system in order to get rid of competing with them.
When some people also claims it's because of Nigerians involvement in scamming and criminality, I asked them why most of the so called nigerian prince's caught are often with white hairy balls, it takes some intelligence to understand how this first world countries play their games

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Nobody: 6:24am On May 16, 2023
Work no the everywhere.

On YouTube I've seen guys who Vloged their coding, programming career journey from college to getting a job.

It isn't easy for them too

I mean those in USA, Canada, Germany all those countries dumb blackies here seem to worship.

The difference is... recruiters will always give their citizens jobs first before thinking of going remote... even if they want to go remote they'll look for people in Europe, America or Asia before considering Africa.

Instead of looking for Job everywhere, consider being the Job creator.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:28am On May 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

In the US?

About the guy I told you about, when he landed, his LinkedIn was still set to open to new jobs/roles. Every day, he would receive messages from recruiters inviting him to interviews. He declined all because he is a student. At one point, it got too much, and he changed the settings. On his own, he applied for remote work with $110K as the offer, and passed the interviews but was denied the role as he was on student visa. Today, bros has gotten three jobs, and all he is waiting for is to graduate. He told me that work dey abroad, and it was until he left he did not know that we were losing out while in Africa. This is someone who was earning 150K per month o while in Nigeria.

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:28am On May 16, 2023
Is he in the US?
Gerrard59:

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:30am On May 16, 2023
This can work, but what happens when they tell you to come to the office for interview? Or if they ask for a work permit, what will you show them?
I don't even know the best way to get foreign remote jobs right now
Yourprick:
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by shegzhkn: 10:26am On May 16, 2023
Maxxim:

Are you sure they're the problem or all this first world country are only looking for reasons to disprove us and our talents, I believe they made this system in order to get rid of competing with them.
When some people also claims it's because of Nigerians involvement in scamming and criminality, I asked them why most of the so called nigerian prince's caught are often with white hairy balls, it takes some intelligence to understand how this first world countries play their games
Wetin dey do black people - compete with who ??
First off the folks in the Western world had serious advantage over you - shey you wan compare yourself with someone like Alexandr Wang (Scale AI co-founder), asian American kid, Math prodigy, parents were scientists (worked at Los Alamos Lab in new Mexico), started working as a software engineer at 17 (Quora and Addepar), went to MIT, dropped out to start his own business. That is just one of hundreds of thousands of American kids.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by airsaylongcome: 10:42am On May 16, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

What we study as computer science in Nigeria is a very antiquated syllabus. Very very antiquated. So don't blame the multinationals for performing their own screening. I remember discuss 4NF and BCNF with my Database instructor in Uni. She had just returned to Nigeria after years as an instructor in the US. I was the only one in the entire department that knew what she was talking about when she was talking about DB normalization. This was a 400L graduating class and only one person knew what DB normalization was. Not like I knew it like that o. At the time I could only do up to 2NF or highest 3NF.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Gerrard59(m): 11:23am On May 16, 2023
Emeraldfynest:
Is he in the US?

No. But the company is based in the US.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Emeraldfynest(m): 11:32am On May 16, 2023
Okay
Gerrard59:

No. But the company is based in the US.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by MadarasBlade(m): 11:01pm On May 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

Is this in the US or UK?
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Maxxim: 9:18am On May 17, 2023
shegzhkn:

Wetin dey do black people - compete with who ??
First off the folks in the Western world had serious advantage over you - shey you wan compare yourself with someone like Alexandr Wang (Scale AI co-founder), asian American kid, Math prodigy, parents were scientists (worked at Los Alamos Lab in new Mexico), started working as a software engineer at 17 (Quora and Addepar), went to MIT, dropped out to start his own business. That is just one of hundreds of thousands of American kids.
Actually you're wrong, I still don't get the point you're trying to make or you quoted me out of context??
I don't care whom you're trying to make comparison with, cause we have loads of intellects over here too, but that's out of the discussion.
The issue is why most experienced professionals esp in tech finds it hard to land a job here that even seniors with years of experience also fall in same situation, in some cases they apply as juniors with lower earnings compared to their counterparts over there.

To counter your point, being a professional with years of experience isn't a hard feat every where in the world as long as you can connect to the www and the determination to hone ones skills. So it's reasonable to conclude that intelligence isn't bound to a geographical area.
So far I've seen cases of entry level devs in the Us with not much experience applying and getting roles for junior devs, they are out there on reddit asking for solutions, some don't even have to learn about leetcode.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:44am On May 17, 2023
MadarasBlade:

Is this in the US or UK?

Japan.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by DissTroy(m): 3:58pm On May 17, 2023
Except you aren't on the wider social media.

Your Facebook location? Your phone number? What would be the search results for your name if you are business owner?

During the interview process, wouldn't you have to state where you are located? If you are caught lying, wouldn't that be self-defeating and reinstating why the trust level for Nigerians is low?

What we should mobilize for (for remote workers) is more Nigerians, Africans and acquaintances in these remote work cities and countries to recommend us or vouch for us.

They know Nigerians are very skilled - they just have a problem with trusting us. If there are people whom they know who vouch for our trustworthiness, you wouldn't need to lie or falsify your location.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by sonature1: 1:06pm On May 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Everything starts and ends with leadership.
Nigerians don't understand how important that is. If Africa can get her leadership right, the world will start taking us seriously.

As a freelancer, it can be painful when recruiters say they can hire from everywhere in the world, except Africa. Whenever I see such posts, I begin to ask what is wrong with the Black man.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Sheriman(m): 8:29pm On May 19, 2023
sonature1:

Everything starts and ends with leadership.
Nigerians don't understand how important that is. If Africa can get her leadership right, the world will start taking us seriously.

As a freelancer, it can be painful when recruiters say they can hire from everywhere in the world, except Africa. Whenever I see such posts, I begin to ask what is wrong with the Black man.
You no lie. Dem plenty for Android jobs. There usual statement is "Don't bother to apply if you're living in this region"
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by Gerrard59(m): 11:10am On May 28, 2023
wetin I dey talk sef? cry
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Problem by MindHacker9009(m): 2:04pm On Dec 30, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

For long now I have realised that thse coding test are just being used to prevent those that are not connected from getting the job or they just want someone to do their job for free.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Terminal Commands For Developers / Programmers Come To My Aid Please. / Activating Wordpress Plugins On Your Localhost On Ubuntu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.