Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,129 members, 7,856,510 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 09:18 PM

Reno Omokri On The Writing Of IELTS By Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reno Omokri On The Writing Of IELTS By Nigerians (262 Views)

Reno Omokri On The Culture Of Cutting Of Yam To Sell In Nigeria / Reno Omokri On Tinubu: "We Cannot Have An Impostor As Our President" / Goodluck Jonathan Congratulates Reno Omokri On Baby’s Dedication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reno Omokri On The Writing Of IELTS By Nigerians by Enemyofpeace: 11:47am On May 17, 2023
Why should a Nigerian graduate whose degree was taught in English have to write the IELTS to prove he can speak English? UK Visas are given to Chinese students whose English is nowhere near the proficiency of Nigerian graduates. What is the use of being in the Commonwealth if our English is not considered good enough for the United Kingdom? Then it means the wealth is not common. I schooled in England. And in my time, I did not have to write such exams.

Will the United Kingdom be pleased if Nigeria insists that British citizens seeking to transact business in Nigeria must pass a Nigerian English test? Of course not. Then why would the UK insist Nigerian university students take an IELTS test to prove they can speak English when their degrees were taught in English? We agree we have an accent. But English is a language, not an accent! Even if the Nigerian government is silent on this, I will politely continue to raise this issue.

#TableShaker

Copied

(1) (Reply)

FG Consults US, Kenya To Institutionalise Presidential Transition Programmes / Your Excellency, Please Be The Transformational Leader-president That We Need. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.