Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Health Benefits Of Swimming - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Benefits Of Swimming (321 Views)

Man Who Took Girlfriend For Swimming Drowns In Anambra Hotel (Disturbing Photo) / Ekiti Slay Queens Turn Flooded Area Into Swimming Pool During Rainfall. Photos / Decompression Sickness: Danger Of Swimming Back To The Surface After A Deep Dive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Benefits Of Swimming by Antell95(m): 11:09am On May 21, 2023
Swimming is the fourth most popular activity in the United States. But why, exactly? There are a host of benefits you may gain from swimming laps regularly. Read on to learn about the benefits of swimming and how to incorporate swimming into your routine.

Regular pool attendance could make you smarter, improve your mental health and enhance your lung capacity, and that’s not all. According to the NHS, adding a weekly swim workout to your training plan can reduce the risk of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and strokes.

BENEFITS OF SWIMMING REGULARLY

1- It improves your mental health

Swimming is one of the few sports that demand you leave the outside world, outside. You physically can’t look at Instagram in the pool, so one of the biggest benefits of swimming is that it’s great for giving the mind time to power down from constant digital stimulation.

2- It increases your fitness and muscle mass

Swimming for fitness is easy to do, you simply speed up. Plus, another benefit of swimming is that it can help build muscle too. Morrissey explains: ‘It offers the potential to tone up pretty much everywhere. Someone who starts working hard in the pool could expect to see more definition in their arms, upper body and thighs in particular.’

3- It’s lower impact than other forms of cardio

Yes, running or cycling will usually burn more calories than swimming,’ she continues. ‘But swimming keeps your heart rate up without stressing your body.’ This type of exercise is known as steady-state training and helps to build stamina

4- Swimming could help you drift off more quickly

Aerobic exercise (e.g. any cardio activity) has been linked to better sleep quality and improved sleep duration, making for another benefit of swimming. Music to our sleepy ears. According to one study, getting sweaty is the passport to a good night’s kip – something we absolutely love to hear.

5- It’s generally a pregnancy-safe exercise

That said, generally speaking, one of the major benefits of swimming is that it’s a pregnancy-safe form of exercise. The water supports you and bump and can help to reduce swelling in the ankles and feet.

And that’s not all. Research has found that pregnant women who swim during their early to mid-pregnancy can have a lower risk of preterm labour and congenital defects.

6- It can reduce stress

When you exercise, your body naturally reduces stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline whilst simultaneously creating feel-good endorphins – nature’s mood lifters. If you’re stuck between work and a stressed place, carve out some time to move, in the pool or otherwise.

Conclusion:

You can also expect full-body toning and improved stamina, which translates nicely into improved overall fitness levels and capabilities. Cross-training (exercising in different ways) is a fantastic way to improve your overall fitness.

Source: https://discoveryinstincts.com/health-benefits-of-swimming/

Re: Health Benefits Of Swimming by oxygenator: 9:10am On May 22, 2023
The most important of it all:

LEARNING HOW TO SWIM CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE

I needed less than 200ft to swim to safety but
if i did not know how to do it i would not be here today
to testify.

Where ever you are please go and learn how to swim o.

My own knowledge became useful 20 years after o.
Re: Health Benefits Of Swimming by Antell95(m): 6:34pm On Jun 09, 2023
oxygenator:
The most important of it all:

LEARNING HOW TO SWIM CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE

I needed less than 200ft to swim to safety but
if i did not know how to do it i would not be here today
to testify.

Where ever you are please go and learn how to swim o.

My own knowledge became useful 20 years after o.
200ft? How come? Thats deep
Re: Health Benefits Of Swimming by oxygenator: 8:29pm On Jun 09, 2023
Antell95:
200ft? How come? Thats deep
Horizontally, from surface to land and not deep inside.
Re: Health Benefits Of Swimming by Antell95(m): 9:43pm On Jun 09, 2023
oxygenator:

Horizontally, from surface to land and not deep inside.
i understand. That means you swam for a distance equivalent to 200ft. Omo, how did u get such energy and what happened?
Re: Health Benefits Of Swimming by oxygenator: 8:48am On Jun 13, 2023
Antell95:
i understand. That means you swam for a distance equivalent to 200ft. Omo, how did u get such energy and what happened?

Good swimmers can be trapped under water for various reasons and their swimming skills become nothing.

On that day and time it was 'not my turn' to perish.

In the face of danger expect supernatural help. We call it fight or flight. You either swim or sink. At the stage of sinking my feet touched the ground. Was it my power? The answer is NO.
Re: Health Benefits Of Swimming by Antell95(m): 9:50am On Jun 16, 2023
oxygenator:

Good swimmers can be trapped under water for various reasons and their swimming skills become nothing.

On that day and time it was 'not my turn' to perish.

In the face of danger expect supernatural help. We call it fight or flight. You either swim or sink. At the stage of sinking my feet touched the ground. Was it my power? The answer is NO.
INTERESTING!

(1) (Reply)

We Are Very Rích, We Only Need Young£r Mén To Dàte – Two Old£r Wom£n Sàys / In The Case Of Digestive Problems / Overcoming Depression-part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.