Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,447 members, 7,816,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. (832 Views)

You Or Your Marriage Partner Who Will/is Assist/assisting The Kids With Math? / Kaduna Govt Offers Second Chance To Teachers That Failed The Primary 4 Test / Kaduna Pupils Protest Over Planned Sack Of 21,000 Teachers That Failed Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 3:52pm On May 21, 2023
Are you a teacher and you desire to be teach coding?

Are you a teacher that teaches coding part time?

Share your journey, the steps you took and the ones you are still taking to realize this career goal.

Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:27pm On May 21, 2023
Teachers with no coding experience can benefit from getting into coding education for several reasons:
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:29pm On May 21, 2023
Stepout23:
Teachers with no coding experience can benefit from getting into coding education for several reasons:

1. Enhancing digital literacy: In today's digital age, coding is becoming increasingly important. By learning to code, teachers can improve their own digital literacy skills, enabling them to better understand and navigate technology in their personal and professional lives.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:30pm On May 21, 2023
Stepout23:

2. Preparing students for the future: Coding is a valuable skill for the future job market. By teaching coding, even at a basic level, teachers can help equip their students with the skills they need to thrive in an increasingly technology-driven world. It can open up new opportunities and career paths for students.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:31pm On May 21, 2023
Stepout23:

3. Promoting creativity and problem-solving: Coding education encourages students to think critically, logically, and creatively. By incorporating coding into their teaching, teachers can foster these skills in their students, helping them become better problem solvers and more innovative thinkers.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:33pm On May 21, 2023
How you can get started in coding education:
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by LikeAking: 6:13pm On May 21, 2023
Una don come over ith is coding that and coding this thing..

At the end all na hustle..

If you no wetin be coding you won't waste time teaching it for peanuts..

One App can change ya life, but en of easy..

Allow our teachers to rest, coding no be anybody mate.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 10:55pm On May 21, 2023
LikeAking:
Una don come over ith is coding that and coding this thing..

At the end all na hustle..

If you no wetin be coding you won't waste time teaching it for peanuts..

One App can change ya life, but en of easy..

Allow our teachers to rest, coding no be anybody mate.

There's nothing that can't be achieve if you put your mind to it.

Well this thread is for teachers that have the intention of making transition into coding education or teachers who have now become coding teachers.

This is a thread to share their experience and journey, so as to inspire others.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 11:03pm On May 21, 2023
The word 'coding' might sound scary and can seem far fetched as an ordinary teacher, but I am talking to those extraordinary teachers who can achieve anything they put their mind to.

This thread is not to market any course on coding. To learn coding these days is not that hard or expensive, all you need is your time and determination that's the currency you need to have, because there are thousands of free resources to learn online.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by LikeAking: 12:40am On May 22, 2023
Stepout23:

There's nothing that can't be achieve if you put your mind to it.

Well this thread is for teachers that have the intention of making transition into coding education or teachers who have now become coding teachers.

This is a thread to share their experience and journey, so as to inspire others.

Can u code?
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 6:24am On May 22, 2023
LikeAking:

Can u code?

Yes sure. I can code I started with HTML and CSS now I'm on to JavaScript. I am a teacher
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by cash365(m): 2:37pm On May 22, 2023
I love this thread. Can I learn coding as a teacher and teach with it.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 6:35pm On May 23, 2023
cash365:
I love this thread. Can I learn coding as a teacher and teach with it.

Yes, you can. That's the latest in schools now. You can work as a part time teachers and shuttle between multiple schools in a week if you know your craft very well.

Scratch is the programming language that is use to teach younger children between age 5 - 12 years how to code.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 7:15pm On May 23, 2023
Yes, you can. That's the latest in schools now. You can work as a part time teachers and shuttle between multiple schools in a week if you know your craft very well.

Scratch is the programming language that is use to teach younger children between age 5 - 12 years how to code.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Wodu89: 1:13pm On May 25, 2023
Lol @ you can be more than a teacher. You're an educator. You're transmitting life and injecting into the souls of uninformed ones helping the earth in it's evolution. There's nothing bad about being an educator. If you hate the title teacher, simply tell you people you wish to be addressed as an educator and stop subtly hating your profession
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 1:20pm On May 25, 2023
Wodu89:
Lol @ you can be more than a teacher. You're an educator. You're transmitting life and injecting into the souls of uninformed ones helping the earth in it's evolution. There's nothing bad about being an educator. If you hate the title teacher, simply tell you people you wish to be addressed as an educator and stop subtly hating your profession

Hi Mr Wodu89, I really don't get your point on what you are trying to say. If you can only make it more clear, then I will be able to give a more clearer reply.
Thanks
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Wodu89: 1:21pm On May 25, 2023
Stepout23:

Hi Mr Wodu89, I really don't get your point on what you are trying to say. If you can only make it more clear, then I will be able to give a more clearer reply.
Thanks

In response to your comment that states I can be more than a teacher in your diary
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 3:24pm On May 25, 2023
I really don't feel I have to reply to things I posted on my dairy in this thread, but since it has to do with teachers and teaching. I will post this here, it's a long read I hope you all read to the end.

To be More than a Teacher

To be "more than a teacher" typically refers to going beyond the traditional role of a teacher and having a broader impact on students' lives. It involves not only imparting knowledge and academic skills but also serving as a mentor, guide, and source of inspiration. Here are some aspects of being more than a teacher:

1. Mentorship: Going beyond the classroom curriculum, a teacher who is more than a teacher acts as a mentor, providing guidance and support to students in various aspects of their lives. This may include helping them set goals, offering advice on personal and career development, and being a source of emotional support.

2. Holistic Development: A teacher who goes beyond their role focuses on the holistic development of students. They take into account students' individual strengths, weaknesses, and interests, and strive to nurture their overall growth, including social, emotional, and cognitive aspects.

3. Building Relationships: Being more than a teacher involves establishing strong relationships with students. This means fostering a sense of trust, respect, and open communication, which can create a positive learning environment and encourage students to engage actively in their education.

4. Inspiration and Motivation: Going beyond teaching means inspiring and motivating students to reach their full potential. A teacher in this role acts as a role model, instilling a passion for learning, encouraging critical thinking, and fostering curiosity.

5. Advocacy and Support: A teacher who is more than a teacher becomes an advocate for their students. They recognize and address the unique needs and challenges faced by their students, ensuring that they receive necessary support, resources, and opportunities for success.

6. Community Engagement: Going beyond teaching may involve actively engaging with the community. This can include organizing extracurricular activities, volunteering, collaborating with parents or guardians, and partnering with local organizations to enhance the learning experience and broaden students' horizons.

7. Lifelong Learning: Being more than a teacher involves being a lifelong learner oneself. Teachers in this role continuously seek professional development, stay updated with educational trends, and adapt their teaching methods to meet the evolving needs of their students.

Overall, being more than a teacher is about recognizing the profound impact educators can have on students' lives and going above and beyond to make a positive difference, both inside and outside the classroom.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 3:37pm On May 25, 2023
My favorite part of the article above is number 7.
To be more than a teacher, you have to stay updated with educational trends, hence the reason for this thread.

Tech is in every industry most especially the education industry, I know some people might say not everyone will go into tech. Yes, I agree with you this post is not for everyone but that teacher who this idea has cross his or her mind.

That is the kind of teacher who I am looking for in this thread. You are the one I started this thread for. Let's share our journey so far and offer encouragement to each other.

Nothing good ever come easy, and I believe once an idea cross your mind you have the capacity to accomplish it.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 3:53pm On Nov 28, 2023
Stepout23:

Share your journey, the steps you took and the ones you are still taking to realize this career goal.

Waoh!

It's been a long time.

When I posted this. I was still a classroom teacher and I was looking for people who are doing this.

Teaching coding is a trending extra curriculum exercise in school and the demand for teachers that know how to do this was in high demand.

I was bored with my job as a classroom teacher, it was challenging. The school I was working with at that time has low population of pupils.

I was teaching primary 1 and I had just 5 pupils. It wasn't really interesting, so I decided to make a change.

I am glad to announce now teaching coding to schools. I work with a total number of 4 schools in a week in Lagos and Ogun State.

So, I can now say I am certified to share my experience on how I got this done.

Here are what I did, incase you are reading this and you want to venture into this.

1. Get a laptop: yes, you need a laptop. I know teaching jobs doesn't really pay well but do everything in your power to get one.

Let me tell you something also, laptop does not cost that much. The one I started with cost 35,000 naira. I am making money now and the laptop is still working, I plan to change it soon but I need to be wise with my spending too. Incase you are doubting well it possible. Do your own findings.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 3:57pm On Nov 28, 2023
Stepout23:

Waoh!

It's been a long time.

When I posted this. I was still a classroom teacher and I was looking for people who are doing this.

Teaching coding is a trending extra curriculum exercise in school and the demand for teachers that know how to do this was in high demand.

I was bored with my job as a classroom teacher, it was challenging. The school I was working with at that time has low population of pupils.

I was teaching primary 1 and I had just 5 pupils. It wasn't really interesting, so I decided to make a change.

I am glad to announce now teaching coding to schools. I work with a total number of 4 schools in a week in Lagos and Ogun State.

So, I can now say I am certified to share my experience on how I got this done.

Here are what I did, incase you are reading this and you want to venture into this.

1. Get a laptop: yes, you need a laptop. I know teaching jobs doesn't really pay well but do everything in your power to get one.

Let me tell you something also, laptop does not cost that much. The one I started with cost 35,000 naira. I am making money now and the laptop is still working, I plan to change it soon but I need to be wise with my spending too. Incase you are doubting well it possible. Do your own findings.

2. Learn all you can about this: Let YouTube be your best friend if you really want this. There are free resources available online. Use it to your advantage.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2023
Stepout23:

2. Learn all you can about this: Let YouTube be your best friend if you really want this. There are free resources available online. Use it to your advantage.

3. Invest in data: Airtel will say data is life. Yes, I agree with them. This is a key to your learning. Most resources you need to learn are online and you cannot get to them without data. If possible, buy a midi and dedicate it to learning about this.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
Stepout23:

3. Invest in data: Airtel will say data is life. Yes, I agree with them. This is a key to your learning. Most resources you need to learn are online and you cannot get to them without data. If possible, buy a mifi or wifi and dedicate it to learning.

4. Search for trainings online: This is also one thing I did. Go to Google and search for training, you might not see what you want immediately but know that Google is taking note of what you are searching for when there is an advert on that anywhere. They will show it to you. It can be paid or free but they will show it to you.

During the course of my search I saw some paid and some free. It was expensive for me, almost all the amount of what I was earning as a classroom teacher. I didn't go for it, because I couldn't afford to.
Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:11pm On Nov 28, 2023
These are pictures of some of my classes

Re: Teachers That Now Teach Coding To Kids With No Previous Coding Background. by Stepout23(f): 4:14pm On Nov 28, 2023
Stepout23:

Please of you have a story to share about your own journey into this career path. I will love love to read yours too and if you have any questions concerning this I will answer it to the best of my ability.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Reunite With My Primary School Friends. / Varsities Banned From Charging Fees For Post-UME Tests / Uniben Post Ume Scratch Card For Sale, The Card Is Finished In Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.