Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,920 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather (4970 Views)

Parents Threatening To Bury Lazy Teachers In South Africa (Photos) / Foreigners Are Not Lazy Like You Poor South Africans - Zuma Says / THE 50 Most Powerful Men In The World 2009!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by 4Play(m): 12:27am On Sep 28, 2011
www.nairaland.com/attachments/535038_baroness_jpgb71819033a7fd3dbdd0dbe162c31a7a8
Controversial peer Baroness Flather caused outrage yesterday with a claim that Nigerian men marry four wives because they are lazy.

Speaking on a radio phone-in debate on polygamy, she said: ‘Most of the men in Nigeria don’t do anything, their wives do all the work, that’s why they have so many.’

Lady Flather spoke out after a Nigerian caller told how his father had four wives, they all lived together in the same house without arguments and their 11 children were all well educated.

The crossbencher, Britain’s first female Asian peer, recently made controversial claims that some Asian families in Britain have lots of children in order to claim extra welfare payments.

Yesterday’s comments were made as she spoke as a guest on the BBC Radio 5 Breakfast show, presented by Nicky Campbell.

Campbell was joined in the studio by Khola Hasan, of the Islamic Sharia Council, which says polygamy is on the rise among British Muslims.

Following the peer’s comment, embarrassed laughter could be heard before Mrs Hasan said: ‘That’s a bit unfair’.

Campbell then interjected: ‘If I’d said what you’ve just said I’d be in the papers tomorrow for racism, wouldn’t I?’

But the baroness went on: ‘They have four wives – one to do the farming, one to look after the children, one to look after the man and one to do the housework. It is just a fact. Why should I lie?’

Two British Nigerians later called the show and condemned the comments, pointing out that polygamy is a sign of affluence rather than idleness.

Last night Radio 5 said the peer’s views were ‘entirely her own’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042195/Baroness-Shreela-Flather-says-Nigerian-men-4-wives-theyre-lazy.html#ixzz1ZCMnn6t9
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Nobody: 1:04am On Sep 28, 2011
Not in touch with realities.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Dgunnerz(m): 1:21am On Sep 28, 2011
His father was a lazy man,that is why he married 4 chics!

"Nigerian men are lazy,that's why they marry four wives"=Sweet Joke!
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 28, 2011
Originally, they did so because of war outcomes (shortage of men). But nowadays its because of laziness, lack of value for marriage and just plain lack of respect for women.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by onila(f): 5:03am On Sep 28, 2011
Nigerian men dont respect women at all. They are most horrible men I Know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by japhet2233: 5:15am On Sep 28, 2011
na God go punish these woman, watin she know about Nigeria men abi indian when she for come dem no lazy there?
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by rume(m): 5:20am On Sep 28, 2011
oh my word, talk about a resilient stereotype.

, wondering why many men I know personally don't have 4 wives? Basically, Flather's comments paint a picture that shows every Nigerian is from a polygamous home of four mothers. How silly.
Why discount the girlfriends outside  cheesy

On the laziness issue, British men are hardworking I suppose,  as they say "LOL".

Onila, how many men of other nationalities have you known then?
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by japhet2233: 5:23am On Sep 28, 2011
these woman no know watin she dey talk make she go to hell she is not even popular here in indian no body know or talk about her here

we are calling other countries as been racist Indian still dey talk say them hate black who know indian?
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by kevoh(m): 6:56am On Sep 28, 2011
I doubt if this woman can locate Nigeria on the map of Africa let alone talk about what she doe not know. Mcheeww!
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by sammieone(m): 7:13am On Sep 28, 2011
Its either she does not know the meaning of laziness or obvious mis-talk, Nigeria men are hardwork. She thought it like pot-belly UK men that live on the Government pay, She know nothing about Nigerians.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by moderatorr: 7:13am On Sep 28, 2011
Nigerian muslims are giving us a bad name everywhere! Even malam lamibomb sanusi as educated and as young as he is married four wives! Four for what!
Islam teaches you to marry four!
Thats ugly.
I think you guys should call a global consensus on your islam and edit some porpions of your quran.
No offence.
But islam is naturally against women.
In saudi, ladies dont drive cars!
In nigeria a governor can marry a lady that hasnt reached puberty!
A shoe maker can marry 10 wives!
Next thing you will hear is that all nigerian men are boko haram bombers!
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by God2man(m): 7:17am On Sep 28, 2011
It is not true. Polygamy is not synonymous to laziness. Where did she get such information? She seems to generalize that assertion. For example, you cannot afford to be lazy in Lagos, whether you are a polygamist or not,it is not possible. Although so many problem are associated with polygamy, but that does not mean that the man is lazy.she should not generalize this statement. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 28, 2011

Nigerian men dont respect women at all.

Respect is never given gratuitously. It is EARNED. Maybe too many Nigerian women are just too materialistic, dependent on men for pretty much everything, and generally devoid of intellectual and attitudinal substance to deserve much respect. I've not seen any Nigerian woman that was forced into a polygamous marriage; they voluntarily enter into it perhaps out of greed, desperation, or sheer lack of respect for themselves!

@ Topic

This woman must be deluded. What is the correlation between laziness and polygamy in modern Nigeria? Only relatively well-to-do men can even contemplate having four wives. She should just shut up rather than say what she knows nothing about!
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by agitator: 9:43am On Sep 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Originally, they did so because of war outcomes (shortage of men). But nowadays its because of laziness, lack of value for marriage and just plain lack of respect for women.

This statement goes a long way to show how much lazier the women are. grin grin grin grin

A lazy Nigerian man marrying 4 women who value marriage and have self respect. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by chukswill(m): 9:51am On Sep 28, 2011
my people , ebi like say na old age dey worry that woman, upon all problems way dey for nigeria ,na that stament she say, or may boys don scam her
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Lekkerlife(m): 11:28am On Sep 28, 2011
When I saw this comment on the PM news paper yesterday as I was returning from work in a heavy traffic where I was being smoked like a barbecue fish, I was so irritated and annoyed, I didn't know when I raked on the vendor that if you are lazy for real, why are here on the street under a very scorching sun selling a N50 newspaper? I didn't know it was a comment from an old woman with odd reasoning manner.

Nigerian men are suffering, they deserve more than the little they get as wages, if you say they are corrupt, polygamous and greedy, I wont be pissed about that because that's what they are, but Lazy? that's no! An average Nigerian man would go an extra mile, do extra job, work extra hour to make a living or fend for his family and that's why our life expectancy is between 45 and 46 compare to canada and Iceland that have about 86-90 life expectancy.

I take my time to promote lekker International because we deserve good life, we need something to compensate or struggle, something other than our government to reward us very well, our government/leaders are bad and they don't give a damn about our welfare, all what they care about is our tax money and resources.

Dear friend, pls be your on hero, don't wait for Jonathan to save you, you might have died before he reaches you, join lekker, make money, let your money work for you don't die work for a token.

Click the link on my signature and register!

Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by chuckdee4(m): 11:31am On Sep 28, 2011
Baroness Who?

I don't listen to crap that comes out of irrelevant people's mouth.
Go do your research before you start running your mouth off.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by phreakabit(m): 1:29pm On Sep 28, 2011
This Drugged Baroness is most likely referring to Hausa men.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by benzco: 1:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
what is den problem over that , have u seen any nga man that is lazy . you have to talk about the men around ur place my dear. grin shocked cool tongue lipsrsealed
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by friendl: 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2011
who really is lazy?nobody , life is opportunity
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Nobody: 1:11am On Sep 29, 2011
" The pot calling the kettle black" springs to mind!!!!, This is the same thing those garlic smelling brown skin idiots do. Maybe she needs to first fix the problem in her country, before complaining about another.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 29, 2011
This is where you'll find [size=38pt]LAZY[/size] Nigerian men criticizing the truth in what the lady said.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2011
phreakabit:

This Drugged Baroness is most likely referring to Hausa men.

You do have a point.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by NegroNtns(m): 8:41pm On Sep 29, 2011
We marry four women because they are beautiful and irresistible, divine and loving, loyal and honest, caring and accomodating, but more important because our nature is dependent and we always need their b.r.e.a.s.t to soothe our troubled souls. tongue
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by JeSoul(f): 9:41pm On Sep 29, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

We marry four women because they are beautiful and irresistible, divine and loving, loyal and honest, caring and accomodating, but more important because our nature is dependent and we always need their b.r.e.a.s.t to soothe our troubled souls. tongue
Chai! see unadulterated spin of the highest quality Lol. yeye boy lol.
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by Beaf: 1:13am On Sep 30, 2011
I want to marry four wives. embarassed
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by francisj(m): 6:09am On Sep 30, 2011
Beaf:

I want to marry four wives. embarassed

you can say that again !!!!
atleast, one can bleading 24/7 ,4/12 non stop !!!!

he-he-he ,very funny !

marrying 4 wify is common in Northern 9ja,so all norhern are lazy ,ko !

a big joke
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by NegroNtns(m): 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2011
JeSoul, I no lie. I am yet to find a man, Nigerian or not, that will turn down the offer of four women. Particularly Nigerian women and their paraphernalias. lol.

posted by Beaf:

I want to marry four wives.

As for you, first quit MEND so you can liberate your desires. You automatically get four wives upon joining BOKO. If 1000 virgins are more appealing to you, QAEDA is recruiting. lmao!!!
Re: Most Men In Nigeria Are Lazy - Baroness Flather by geogilbaby(f): 5:57pm On Apr 30, 2012
Hello Dear
My greetings to you,I want to first of all ask about your life which is so much important and i really hope that you and all around are all right and well sounded in good health,If so may thanks be to God almighty. i am very much sorry to border you but i will like you to know this I am Miss geogil,I have chosen you, because by doing Internet research, I came across your address and it is as if a voice spoke to me telling me this is the right person,I have the feeling that this piece of mail will get to you in a perfect state of mind and in a better healthy condition. I believe and also have the feeling that in today’s world, neither race, nationality nor religion will any longer posse a barrier to male/female relationships. please for more introduction i will like you to contact me direct to my private email address is ( geogil2011@yahoo.com) Although, we do not know each other well but I will really like to have you as a friend ,if that is OK for you.I am a single lady,i contacted you because i saw your contact and pick interest in you because you match mine,dear i will like you to understand me and to know about me very well,
Yours Miss geogil.( geogil2011@ yah oo (dot) com)

(1) (Reply)

My Jamaican Friend Said The World Will Be A Better Place Without White People / China Set To Invade Taiwan Tomorrow / N. Korea Mum Faces Jail For Saving Her Kids From Fire Instead Of Kim's Portrait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.