Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,460 members, 7,864,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:34 AM

Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? (424 Views)

Children Were Eating Leftovers During An Event Where Ebonyi Launched An Airport / $500m Chinese Debt Sparks Confusion In Airport Concession / Airport Concession: Aviation Unions To Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? by Ebubu2: 3:03pm On May 24, 2023
When the FG says they’ll concession Lagos, Abuja, Kano and PH airports what does it entail ?
Re: Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? by Ebubu2: 3:03pm On May 24, 2023
What does it mean?
Re: Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? by tsdarkside(m): 3:07pm On May 24, 2023
google it....
Re: Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? by DeLaRue: 3:11pm On May 24, 2023
A concession is a right granted by an asset owner, usually a government, to a private company or a consortium of companies (the "Concessionaire") to do any combination of the following - design, finance, build, transfer, operate, and maintain an asset for a number of years - usually between 10 and 40 years (the Concession Period) in return for payments to the government.

A Concession can involve any combination of those elements stated above depending on whether it is a greenfield (not yet built) project, or a brownfield (exiting asset) project.

Examples of brownfield projects are the Kano and Abuja airports that are currently being concessioned.

Note that even when taking on an existing asset, a Concessionaire will usually bound by the Concession Agreement to invest large sums of money to improve and further develop the asset during the Concession Period. So, it is not risk-free for the Concessionaire.

At the expiration of the Concession Period, the asset is handed back to the government.

Alternatively, immediately prior to the expiration of the initial Concession period, the government may enter into negotiations with the Concessionaire with a view to extending the Concession period or basically granting a new Concession period.

If the Concession Agreement is done properly, it can be a win - win for the government and the Concessionaire.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? by Ebubu2: 3:44pm On May 24, 2023
DeLaRue:
A concession is a right granted by an asset owner, usually a government, to a private company or a consortium of companies (the "Concessionaire"wink to do any combination of the following - design, finance, build, transfer, operate, and maintain an asset for a number of years - usually between 10 and 40 years (the Concession Period) in return for payments to the government.

A Concession can involve any combination of those elements stated above depending on whether it is a greenfield (not yet built) project, or a brownfield (exiting asset) project.

Examples of brownfield projects are the Kano and Abuja airports that are currently being concessioned.

Note that even when taking on an existing asset, a Concessionaire will usually bound by the Concession Agreement to invest large sums of money to improve and further develop the asset during the Concession Period. So, it is not risk-free for the Concessionaire.

At the expiration of the Concession Period, the asset is handed back to the government.

Alternatively, immediately prior to the expiration of the initial Concession period, the government may enter into negotiations with the Concessionaire with a view to extending the Concession period or basically granting a new Concession period.

If the Concession Agreement is done properly, it can be a win - win for the government and the Concessionaire.

Alright understood
Re: Can Anyone Educate Me What An Airport Concession Means? by travsco43: 7:23pm On May 24, 2023
DeLaRue:
A concession is a right granted by an asset owner, usually a government, to a private company or a consortium of companies (the "Concessionaire"wink to do any combination of the following - design, finance, build, transfer, operate, and maintain an asset for a number of years - usually between 10 and 40 years (the Concession Period) in return for payments to the government.

Excellent explanation.

Learned something today.

(1) (Reply)

May 29: Stop That Inauguration, DAP Candidate Tells Buhari / Presidency: Tinubu Is Now Oficially Nigerian President, Shettima Vice President / Dear Fellow Nigerians, Let’s Discuss Fuel Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.