Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award (3656 Views)

Fraudsters Apprehended At First Bank In Aba While Trying To Scam A Woman- Photos / Dead Man Withdraws N4.3M From Union Bank In Kaduna: Mysterious / Customers Sitting On The Floor At Access Bank In Yola (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 28, 2011
It was a night of accolades on Friday,September 23, at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Washington DC, United States of America, as Nigeria’s leading financial institution, FirstBank of Nigeria Plc, was declared winner of the Most Innovative Bank in Africa Award by the African Banker, just as it is set to clinch three other international awards from the New-York based Global Finance.

The Global Finance awards are Best Trade Finance Bank in Nigeria, Best Foreign Exchange Provider in Nigeria and Best Emerging Market Bank in Nigeria.

The African Awards ceremony, organised by the African Banker, organisers of the annual African Bankers Awards, held alongside the 2011 IMF/World Bank meetings at Washington DC.

According to Omar Ben Yedder, Group Publisher of African Banker magazine, the award goes to the African bank that has demonstrated original and practical uses of technology to provide customer convenience, better and cheaper services, and greater access to the financial services industry in Africa.

Other nominees for this category of the awards were BIM – Banco International de Mozambique, Diamond Bank of Nigeria, Equity Bank of Kenya and Kenya Post Office Savings Bank.

FirstBank is the only Nigerian bank that received an award at the occasion which had in attendance over 300 guests including bankers, financial analysts, consultants and businessmen.

Receiving the award on behalf of the Bank, Folake Ani-Mumuney, Head, Marketing & Corporate Communications, FirstBank, said the award was a global recognition of the giant strides the Bank had achieved over the years in the areas of deployment of technology to power its operations and services and ultimately making banking services more convenient, accessible and faster, adding that all these were major feats in the Bank’s customer-oriented and innovative financial plans. “This confirms the Bank’s interest in its customers, their lifestyles and businesses”, she said.

It would be recalled that the Bank, earlier in the year, unveiled a suite of retail, consumer and electronic products which were conceived to empower corporate and individual Nigerians to enable them meet business and personal needs. Apart from these products, the Bank recently pioneered the first Bio-Metric ATM in Nigeria, apart from its 24 hour interactive Customer Service platform named FirstContact and the Cheque receiving ATM.

The African Banker Awards is organised by African Banker magazine, IC Events, and Business in Africa

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/complete-business-package/28754-firstbank-wins-most-innovative-bank-in-africa-award
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by scholes23(m): 7:51pm On Sep 28, 2011
DEM SAY MAN PASS MAN ; BANK PASS BANK
IF E NO BE FIRSTBANK E NO FIT BE LIKE FIRSTBANK.
FIRSTBANK IS A BANK WHERE I CAN KEEP MY MONEY AND HAVE REST OF MIND
THUMBS UP TO AFRICA'S BIGGEST BANK
FIRSTBANK 4 LIFE
FIRSTBANK, TRUELY THE FIRSTDEM SAY MAN PASS MAN ; BANK PASS BANK
IF E NO BE FIRSTBANK E NO FIT BE LIKE FIRSTBANK.
FIRSTBANK IS A BANK WHERE I CAN KEEP MY MONEY AND HAVE REST OF MIND
THUMBS UP TO AFRICA'S BIGGEST BANK
FIRSTBANK 4 LIFE
FIRSTBANK, TRUELY THE FIRST
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 28, 2011
they need to innovate and stop being big strong and reliable for nothing, ask GTB
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by swaggerboi2011: 4:24am On Sep 29, 2011
lol
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 29, 2011
webdezzi:

they need to[b] innovate [/b] and stop being big strong and reliable for nothing, ask GTB

Obviously you didnt read the subject because as far as I know, virtually everything GTBank showcases as 'innovation' was first introduced by First Bank and I'm sure GTBank was also considered in the list of banks in Africa to be given this award

Bank on Wheels
Cash Deposit ATMs
Biometric ATMs
Cheque deposit ATMs etc

I'm sure you must have noticed the transformation of their branches and just peep into one to see what I'm talking about
and mind you the award is not just for the most innovative in Nigeria but Africa
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Pukkah: 9:26am On Sep 29, 2011
webdezzi:

they need to innovate and stop being big strong and reliable for nothing, ask GTB

How? What's in GTBank that's not present in FirstBank?
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2011
Pukkah:

How? What's in GTBank that's not present in FirstBank?

Abi O! The question should have been why didnt GTBank win the award? The award puts all the banks in South Africa into consideration as well
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by ifyalways(f): 9:43am On Sep 29, 2011
Wow,im very much surprised.Never knew they're that good(suave),been seeing them as  'bank for the aged and old at heart'.lolz
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Gbenge77(m): 9:59am On Sep 29, 2011
Kudos.Kudos.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by madejibo: 10:04am On Sep 29, 2011
Nice one by 1st bank really proud to be associated with the bank
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by splitnaija(m): 10:24am On Sep 29, 2011
I totally agree here.

I've banked with Firstbank for over 10 years now and I can say the bank is simply in a class of its own.

Kudos to Firstbank.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by okosodo: 10:41am On Sep 29, 2011
as far as i am concerned first bank is a backward bank
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Pukkah: 11:00am On Sep 29, 2011
okosodo:

as far as i am concerned first bank is a backward bank

This statement is empty and useless except you can substantiate it. People should not just grab keyboards and write about other individuals and organizations in a derogatory manner.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by otokx(m): 11:05am On Sep 29, 2011
All these phantom awards
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 29, 2011
i hate to argue this. just open an account with GTB, thats all it takes to know the difference.
i stopped using first bank 5 years ago out of frustrations, things may have changed though.

Pukkah:

This statement is empty and useless except you can substantiate it.  People should not just grab keyboards and write about other individuals and organizations in a derogatory manner.
like i walk into gtb without my withdrawal slip and get money out of my account in 2004, at that time i own a firstbank and uba account, i dont know if they have copied from gtb now but as at 2007, i still couldn't get to withdraw without my withdrawal booklet issued by the bank, whenever i didn't av my atm on me.

take mastercard for example, GTB changed the game completely, While i had to reload with a minimum of 250USD with UBA,  and UBA charged 100 USD extra as security, i think i loaded my card 3 times losing 300USD in the process. all payment i ever needed to make at that time was for 95$ online payment.
Firstbank was no where to be found in the mastercard circle, when they came, they came via billboards, you get to their branch, the staffs had no idea what a mastercard was.  Inshort, how you expect make MAMA taju sabi mastercard, the fleet of women ranging from age 45-65 and most expect you to show some respect even when they are wrong.

if you dont know, when gtb mastercard came, i was able to load my first card with them with 120USD, 20$ cost of card, and was able to spend all 100$
what of their internet banking platforms?
i cant shout jo.

innovation is not only being the first to start a thing, it also refers to your ability to change the already existing game.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 29, 2011
webdezzi:

i hate to argue this. just open an account with GTB, thats all it takes to know the difference.
i stopped using first bank 5 years ago out of frustrations, things may have changed though.

like i walk into gtb without my withdrawal slip and get money out of my account in 2004, at that time i own a firstbank and uba account, i dont know if they have copied from gtb now but as at 2007, i still couldn't get to withdraw without my withdrawal booklet issued by the bank, whenever i didn't av my atm on me.

take mastercard for example, GTB changed the game completely, While i had to reload with a minimum of 250USD with UBA, and UBA charged 100 USD extra as security, i think i loaded my card 3 times losing 300USD in the process. all payment i ever needed to make at that time was for 95$ online payment.
Firstbank was no where to be found in the mastercard circle, when they came, they came via billboards, you get to their branch, the staffs had no idea what a mastercard was. Inshort, how you expect make MAMA taju sabi mastercard, the fleet of women ranging from age 45-65 and most expect you to show some respect even when they are wrong.

if you dont know, when gtb mastercard came, i was able to load my first card with them with 120USD, 20$ cost of card, and was able to spend all 100$
what of their internet banking platforms?
i cant shout jo.

innovation is not only being the first to start a thing, it also refers to your ability to change the already existing game.
What you did at GTBank is called Slip Free withdrawal (a version of withdrawal by letter). It’s no innovation because it was possible with banks to make such withdrawals for almost as long as banking has existed.
And that is just an item while the award measures your approach versus other banks in Africa within the same period. In the last few years I’ve seen First Bank transform and obviously it has paid off. The First Bank of 2004 is certainly not anything close to today’s First Bank.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 29, 2011
dappssee:

What you did at GTBank is called Slip Free withdrawal (a version of withdrawal by letter). It’s no innovation because it was possible with banks to make such withdrawals for almost as long as banking has existed.
And that is just an item while the award measures your approach versus other banks in Africa within the same period. In the last few years I’ve seen First Bank transform and obviously it has paid off. The First Bank of 2004 is certainly not anything close to today’s First Bank.

whatever, so why cant they implement it, even till 2007, am not sure of now though, do they now do slip free? if yes, i may be force to give them another trial.
all the awards amounts to nothing if life will still remain difficult operating with your bank.

you know one thing that takes me to the bank these days is making payment to another bank cos i always need it to reflect instantly, Recently, i got an email updating me that the transfer is now instant on the online banking platform. so you get to confirm the recipient who is with another bank on the same internet banking platform.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 29, 2011
webdezzi:

whatever, so why cant they implement it, even till 2007, am not sure of now though, do they now do slip free? if yes, i may be force to give them another trial.
all the awards amounts to nothing if life will still remain difficult operating with your bank.

you know one thing that takes me to the bank these days is making payment to another bank cos i always need it to reflect instantly, Recently, i got an email updating me that the transfer is now instant on the online banking platform. so you get to confirm the recipient who is with another bank on the same internet banking platform.

Just like there is no smoke without fire, they couldn't have won the award if they didnt put in enough effort. Things are a lot different now
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by airlord: 1:25pm On Sep 29, 2011
Obviously sumtin went wrong when they were deciding the winner here. u cant think of innovation and first bank will come to ur mid. neva. i bank with them amongst other banks but as soon as my salaryhits on the 23rd/ 24th i immediately transfer to my account in GTB wher i get better banking services,
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Okijajuju1(m): 2:49pm On Sep 29, 2011
First Bank sucks horse balls, Innovative my Behind
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by mbulela: 3:30pm On Sep 29, 2011
otokx:

All these phantom awards
my broda, i tire!
it seems to be the west's version of 419.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Titoije: 4:28pm On Sep 29, 2011
If dem like make dem win "Bank of the world" award. When it comes to innovative, stress free and user friendly banking services, it is GTB. I can operate my account easily whether i am in Nigeria or abroad. Just recently, i got a mail that one can now do online transfer to some other banks and the money would be reflected instantly. I tried it by transferring from my GT to a Diamond alc and instantly, it reflected! Without leaving my seat! Now that's what i call stress free!

With GTB slip free banking, i don't have to worry about carrying my cheque book. All i need do is do funds transfer to my savings account and voila! I can get my money. And need i say, it is all for free? I tried that with my FCMB alc: forgot my withdrawal booklet and was charged over N500 to make a withdrawal.

The innovations for GTB too much!

Abeg, abeg, abeg, GTBank for life!

P.S: Before some people crucify me, i am not a staff of GTBank o! smiley
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 29, 2011
Titoije:

If dem like make dem win "Bank of the world" award. When it comes to innovative, stress free and user friendly banking services, it is GTB. I can operate my account easily whether i am in Nigeria or abroad. Just recently, i got a mail that one can now do online transfer to some other banks and the money would be reflected instantly. I tried it by transferring from my GT to a Diamond alc and instantly, it reflected! Without leaving my seat! Now that's what i call stress free!

With GTB slip free banking, i don't have to worry about carrying my cheque book. All i need do is do funds transfer to my savings account and voila! I can get my money. And need i say, it is all for free? I tried that with my FCMB alc: forgot my withdrawal booklet and was charged over N500 to make a withdrawal.

The innovations for GTB too much!

Abeg, abeg, abeg, GTBank for life!

P.S: Before some people crucify me, i am not a staff of GTBank o!  smiley

same here oo, i guess that dude said firstbank now does slip-free and all.
you speak ma mind sha.

life has been so easy with GTB, you know, recently, the queue outside was 10 much so i decided to get my money over the counter, the lady asked if i have my atm and i used my atm over the counter, i get to save the usual 100 naira charge.
100naira is chicken change but the concept behind this shows the bank is not even interested in ripping you off in the first place.

another is with the foreign transfer, You get to register the foreign accounts with the bank, then you send money to international destinations via the online banking platform. which gets there same day when done early on that day.

GTB for life, but am still going to try out first bank and see why they won that award.
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 30, 2011
I think the problem here is perception. Those who gave the award had their reasons after a number of considerations. I think they deserve it looking at how well they have transformed and new things they have introduced which other banks are now copying from.

The least you can do it try them out and you will be in a good position to speak. Any customer with a service experience out there?
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by cecegorz(m): 9:51pm On Sep 30, 2011
@Tito
Come on man!
You are still talking about online transfer? That sounds archaic really. What bank doesn't do that?
Got Firstbank's mobile app that does that perfectly, including paying for DSTV and other utilities, recharging phone credits and third party txns, all from my phone!
Now, that's Innovation! With that I have no business entering a banking hall, except to draw a check.
Used to give it to the orange gang before though, but truth is that since the turn of this year, their services has been terribly wacky!
One of the days I had to juggle two branches to draw a check after standing on queues for hours on end!
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by lctewand(f): 1:36am On Oct 01, 2011
i dont know about them being innovative o bt in my opinion sha i prefer first bank
i use first bank and GTbank and talking from an ordinary customers view i think first bank is better
when i go to Gtbank their customer service pple always act like they re 2 busy 4 me bt in Firstbank even when they re wasting my time they still treat me well.
GTbanks mobile app never works and they keep on sending me notifications to use it.
b4 i got my ATM Card nkor, dat 1 is a long story.
First bank is stress free sha for me and their app works well.
GTbank only has mouth and a lot of unimplemented ideas, at least the services in first bank actually work.
congrats 2 them smiley
Re: First Bank Wins "Most Innovative Bank In Africa" Award by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2011
Gbam!

(1) (Reply)

Any Indomie Distributors In Delta State Or Edo? / High Speed id card machine for printing quality water proof id card /cd / Dollar Is Now N220 At Parallel Market While N197.5 At CBN Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.