Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? (14833 Views)

Mr Macaroni Reacts To The Fuel Scarcity Across The Country / Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos / FG To Pay Nigerians Transport Allowance After Fuel Subsidy Removal- Zainab Ahmed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Paracetamol01: 11:49am On Jun 01, 2023
Hardship will be experienced .. but in the long run things would get better....if only Nigerian politicians would be sincere in handling the subsidy funds

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Chetas81(m): 11:49am On Jun 01, 2023
SLAVE CITIZEN WHO CHOOSE THEIR OWN TYPE OF LEADERSHIP HAVE NO TAKE
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Wodu89: 11:50am On Jun 01, 2023
Chetas81:
SLAVE CITIZEN WHO CHOOSE THEIR OWN TYPE OF LEADERSHIP HAVE NO TAKE
H
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by GentlePEACE: 11:50am On Jun 01, 2023
My advice is that we encourage investors that will bring better innovation in terms of electrical cars and the likes, instead of having 100% dependent on fuel.. so i support the removal if the Gov't will better other sectors.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:50am On Jun 01, 2023
I am not against it, but it was not planned well by Tinubu. He set the cart before the horse

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by osuolale95(m): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2023
Evergreen4:
The subsidy that was removed from kerosene, diesel and gas, what did they use it for. Subsidizing fuel is the only way we the common masses enjoy anything from the government if not the politicians share our common patrimony amongst themselves. Before removing subsidy, government should make thinks easier by fixing up refineries, ensure stable power supply and improve transportation by providing workable rail system. All the time our government keep comparing the price of fuel in Nigerian to the price of fuel in Saudi Arabia but they don't compare the rail way and stable power being enjoyed by the Saudi's. Government should continue paying the subsidy and reduce the cost of governance. Salaries and allowance of legislators should be reduced, the office of minister of state should be collapsed and if possible we should practice a unicameral legislature by scrapping the senate. If am this is done, they will save cost

I think you know about legislation

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by sweetkev(m): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2023
Skyehigher1:
I also support the subsidy removal because with tinubu remove it all the money will be channel to the right direction
Keep dreaming. Money that will be looted grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Hezmatosky: 11:51am On Jun 01, 2023
Our take on election did not yield anything, why then do you seek our take on this? Basically, it will still end up as they want kiss

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by alphaconde(m): 11:51am On Jun 01, 2023
Worriedwife:
It is good. The problem is we do not trust the government to plough back this money into the betterment of the country. That is why we would rather have subsidy as the only thing the common man gains from Nigeria

u said it the way i feel

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by odigbosky(m): 11:51am On Jun 01, 2023
Ok

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by flexxyworld(m): 11:51am On Jun 01, 2023
Hey
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by rex21: 11:52am On Jun 01, 2023
Subsidy should not be removed, there is no justification for its removal. Are we stupid in this Nigeria sef. There is no economic gain to its removal, only nonsense fairy tale stories.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Greenfaces: 11:52am On Jun 01, 2023
Presently it has a tough effect but its better in the long run

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Iwedunloye: 11:52am On Jun 01, 2023
Vischy:
Poor implementation strategy and Poor planning to cushion the effects on the citizens.

The money wasn’t budgeted beyond June, so will Obi pay with his money starting from July?

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Abagworo(m): 11:52am On Jun 01, 2023
Good move. 100% supported

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by ariesbull: 11:52am On Jun 01, 2023
ARE YOU USING PETER OBI TO SUPPORT YOUR MISTAKE

Define madness
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by deandavid(m): 11:53am On Jun 01, 2023
This is just a lazy approach to solving the problem...

It's more like, saying "Oh because of the increase of food prices, I can't keep up with feeding my dependants, so I will stop cooking all together in my house "...

It's lame to say remove fuel subsidy because the rate of fuel consumption is too much or we are paying too much for it...

Let's assume, we really can't pay and Even if we must remove the subsidy, there should be things put in place, before removing it, so as to cusson the effect of the removal...

It's only people who lack empathy, and are far from the reality of the everyday Nigerians, that would say, let's remove the subsidy once and for all, let's endure the suffering once and for all...

There's nothing like once and for all, it's just heartless to want to put people into more pains and suffering at this time...

Our leaders just don't care about us, not until we have us representing ourselves in the tables of negotiations and governance, we will continue to be the ones who bear the grunt of lazy leadership...

Fuel Subsidy removal on my mind...

#FailedLeadership

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by nairalanda1(m): 11:53am On Jun 01, 2023
I am.all for it. At the end we would no longer be having growing deficit in the budget and it would encourage domestic refining and by extension job growth

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Thisisanfield: 11:53am On Jun 01, 2023
Honest Opinion? not bad to remove fuel subsidy.

But you ask your self; is that the priority? is that what is 100% affecting the country at the moment?

why remove fuel subsidy without even a cabinet formed. no due consultations from all stakeholders at large.

was the effect it would have on the masses given a thought? so as to provide cushioned counter measures that would see it doesn't put everyone through sufferings.

was it even the best appropriate time and day to put an end to fuel subsidy (on the day on your handover?)

while i am not against fuel subsidy removal, i am against the timing, the place, no due consultations, no prior notification.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by ShaqFu: 11:53am On Jun 01, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:
President Bola Tinubu (GCFR) on Monday announced fuel subsidy was gone because there is no budgetary allocation for it after June.

What is fuel subsidy?

Fuel subsidies are a form of government intervention to reduce the cost of fuel by providing direct financial support to oil companies, and as such, subsidise the product to consumers (Nigerians). Nigeria is one of Africa’s largest producers of crude oil, and it relies heavily on this resource for its economic growth.

The 2023 budget proposed N2.557trn supplementary budget for fuel subsidy.

Now to the main reason for creating this thread: "What is your take on the Fuel Subsidy Removal?"

Personally I support this Subsidy Removal as it would free up resources for other sectors of the economy, money spent by the government on subsidy would be better spent on education, healthcare, infrastructure development, amongst other key sectors but only if the funds won't be looted by those in charge.

Let's read about your own personal take on the fuel subsidy removal.
Government provide direct financial support to oil companies yet we were told NNPC are the only ones who have direct licence to import fuel.

So the question I want to ask first is, where and how is government providing financial support as regard fuel subsidy?
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2023
Subsidy has to go!

No sane country borrows money to subsidise consumables for her populace. It's a recipe for disaster and that's what Buhari had been doing for the past 2years...very reason the NNPC has rather been recording losses instead of profits, for a decent while now.

At this point, with the subsidy gone, government is no longer going to borrow money for that purpose. Whatever small revenue is generated can be channeled into servicing and repaying the accumulated debts, and as time progresses, with the advent of modular refineries alongside what Dangote has put on ground, petroleum prices will drop.

When Obasanjo deregulated the telecommunications industry, my mother bought a SIM card for 32,000 naira. It was even more expensive than the Alcatel button phone she put it in. Today, SIM cards are literally free and the telecom industry is thriving with a very high level of positive competition.

I know the days ahead are going to be tough, but this is a necessary sacrifice for all our benefits. This has nothing to do with whether you're Obidient or Batified or Atikulated. If Subsidy continues, it is going to crush Nigeria before even insecurity and tribalism!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by ThatCEO: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2023
Iwedunloye:

The money wasn’t budgeted beyond June, so will Obi pay with his money starting from July?

Not an excuse, Tinubu could had submitted a supplementary budget.

In February, d NNPC CEO said landing cost is 315. How come we are paying over 500 now? What is your Tinubu doing about the robbery or he knows about it
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 01, 2023
ShaqFu:
Government provide direct financial support to oil companies yet we were told NNPC are the only ones who have direct licence to import fuel.

So the question I want to ask first is, where and how is government providing financial support as regard fuel subsidy?

Where did you get the information that government provides "direct" financial support to oil companies?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Sirchiboy: 11:55am On Jun 01, 2023
You people saying that the money will be used to develop other sectors is a big scam.
Nothing like fuel subsidy.
The millions of dollars that EFCC recover from looters.
Where does the money go to?
That money will be shared among themselves.
Stop giving yourself false hope.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by ShaqFu: 11:55am On Jun 01, 2023
Buddha3:

Where did you get the information that government provides "direct" financial support to oil companies?
read the opening post I quoted.
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:56am On Jun 01, 2023
People are suffering. Yet it is alarming that some people in this forum are hailing the presidency.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by providencia(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2023
Evergreen4:
The subsidy that was removed from kerosene, diesel and gas, what did they use it for. Subsidizing fuel is the only way we the common masses enjoy anything from the government if not the politicians share our common patrimony amongst themselves. Before removing subsidy, government should make thinks easier by fixing up refineries, ensure stable power supply and improve transportation by providing workable rail system. All the time our government keep comparing the price of fuel in Nigerian to the price of fuel in Saudi Arabia but they don't compare the rail way and stable power being enjoyed by the Saudi's. Government should continue paying the subsidy and reduce the cost of governance. Salaries and allowance of legislators should be reduced, the office of minister of state should be collapsed and if possible we should practice a unicameral legislature by scrapping the senate. If am this is done, they will save cost

God bless you for this

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Showpatos: 11:57am On Jun 01, 2023
There is nothing good in d removal of subsidy.....thats the only thing poor masses enjoy from the government.......at the end the excess charges paid by Nigeria on each litres of fuel will be another way to cash out by our greedy politicians
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by EDUECO(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2023
Subsidy removal is good only if it can be transferred to the government workers inform of increase in salary.

The subsidy money paid to government workers inform of salary increase will eventually get to those in the informal sector(bus drivers,market women, manual labourers etc)through the purchase of goods and services by the government workers.

I don't buy the idea of investing the funds realized from subsidy in infrastructure or agriculture sector;most of the funds would be embezzled.
Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by Angelfrost(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2023
The fact that fuel is being subsidized while sectors suffer is just stupid!

Sadly, Nigerians will still not get the benefits either way!

The problem is beyond subsidy!

Corruption is deeper than the foundation of this nation!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On The Fuel Subsidy Removal? by sherylbaky(f): 11:58am On Jun 01, 2023
As if they will really divert the fund to benefit the masses. They are just fighting for their pockets.

Well, time would tell
Evergreen4:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ministerial Screening At The National Assembly (Live Video) / Ask Any Question About Ghana. / Buhari Receives Emir Of Yobe And His Delegates In Abuja(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.