Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,909 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal (1111 Views)

Onitiri-abiola And The Madness In Ibadan By Suyi Ayodele / Herdsmen Killings: This Madness In Nigeria Must Stop – Umahi / Citizens Supporting Citizens Commence Community Outreach Program Across Villages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by sukkot: 8:09am On Jun 02, 2023
I am gobsmacked when I read from citizens especially on nairaland supporting the removal of petroleum subsidy. Only in Africa does a human being support a policy that would incapacitate him and grind him to a halt into a community gridlock as we have seen in the past few days where everything has come to a halt as people cannot afford to pay 700 per litre at the pumps .

You people have to understand that there is absolutely no benefit to the populace in removing the subsidy. That subsidy is THE WELFARE PACKAGE that GOD has allowed the leaders to give us because they know society has to move and people must be able to move around to conduct their businesses out of which the government can then have a tax base to get money from. So this fuel subsidy is a WELFARE PACKAGE for the citizenry so as to be able to move around affordably to conduct their businesses out of which the government can then have a tax base to draw money from and so this subsidy keeps the society going and just like they have WELFARE BENEFITS in the west where they pay their citizens hardship money so that they can still live and move around, the subsidy is our governments way of indirectly giving us welfare. The welfare package total bill in the UK Is around 400 Billion pounds. Do you think the people in the UK would support the government ending their welfare ? They would destroy that country and riot but only in Africa will a zombie support the government in taking his welfare package and grinding the society to a halt when people can’t afford to move around again

And so there is the argument that it’s free money paid by government to the oil company cabals etc etc but you have to understand that these oil cabals would get their money anyway either from the subsidy or from 700 per litre petrol prices, the oil cabals would get their money. They are in it for the profit and not for charity and so they must get paid and the government is paying them on our behalf by paying the subsidy. All the cheap fuel we buy is our welfare package and the government is paying the difference on our behalf to the oil cabals in subsidy and so by removing the subsidy the government is simply telling us that they have no other creative ways of generating more money so we have to stop this welfare we pay to the citizens. The government is looking for free easy money without having to work for it and this is the easiest way for them to do it. They do not want to do the hard work that China did to increase their tax base so that the government can have more taxes. Look at the whole south east ? Full of brilliant minds. That whole south east is ripe for an industrial revolution. Turn the whole south east to a manufacturing hub and invite investors from all over the world to come and manufacture their products there . The country would be rich overnight as foreign currency flows in and government has more money money to tax and this way they don’t have to look for money by going for low hanging fruit like removing subsidy. This is the government telling you it has no ideas and ways to generate money and is looking for the easy way out which is terminating the WELFARE PACKAGE of the citizens and you zombies are supporting your own slaughter

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by mabea: 8:15am On Jun 02, 2023
You have said it all. In a country where there's no accountability I wonder what will become of the so called money saved from subsidy removal.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by garriAndsugar: 8:16am On Jun 02, 2023
After looking at Nigerians. I've come to a conclusion that we deserve the leaders we get.
Marketers raised price even after collecting subsidy for this month of June.

The commander in thief also announcing removal without putting measures in check is just running to achieve his aim because he knows he won't stay long there

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Brek: 8:19am On Jun 02, 2023
Don't mind them
My father is even planning to move out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by sukkot: 8:20am On Jun 02, 2023
mabea:
You have said it all. I[b]n a country where there's no accountability I wonder what will become of the so called money saved from subsidy removal[/b].
more money for dino melaye to buy 50 more vehicles and more london mansions for the politicians and their children lol. more private jets

2 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by betshopagent(m): 8:24am On Jun 02, 2023
Op I see what you did there. From your previous posts, it shows you are a northerner. But of all the region you choose the south east just to invite hate from the Yorubas. I don't support this dollar hike but I refuse to be drawn into a tribal fight initiated by an aboki. During Buhari's era, everything he did was right to you northerners. Now its the turn of the Yoruba's. I want the northerners to know how it feels.You are speaking out because of your fear that it might affect aboki currency exchangers. For the record, I am a proud igboman. Op fight your fight and leave south east alone before Amadioha strike you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Bobloco: 8:27am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:
I am gobsmacked when I read from citizens especially on nairaland supporting the removal of petroleum subsidy. Only in Africa does a human being support a policy that would incapacitate him and grind him to a halt into a community gridlock as we have seen in the past few days where everything has come to a halt as people cannot afford to pay 700 per litre at the pumps .

You people have to understand that there is absolutely no benefit to the populace in removing the subsidy. That subsidy is THE WELFARE PACKAGE that GOD has allowed the leaders to give us because they know society has to move and people must be able to move around to conduct their businesses out of which the government can then have a tax base to get money from. So this fuel subsidy is a WELFARE PACKAGE for the citizenry so as to be able to move around affordably to conduct their businesses out of which the government can then have a tax base to draw money from and so this subsidy keeps the society going and just like they have WELFARE BENEFITS in the west where they pay their citizens hardship money so that they can still live and move around, the subsidy is our governments way of indirectly giving us welfare. The welfare package total bill in the UK Is around 400 Billion pounds. Do you think the people in the UK would support the government ending their welfare ? They would destroy that country and riot but only in Africa will a zombie support the government in taking his welfare package and grinding the society to a halt when people can’t afford to move around again

And so there is the argument that it’s free money paid by government to the oil company cabals etc etc but you have to understand that these oil cabals would get their money anyway either from the subsidy or from 700 per litre petrol prices, the oil cabals would get their money. They are in it for the profit and not for charity and so they must get paid and the government is paying them on our behalf by paying the subsidy. All the cheap fuel we buy is our welfare package and the government is paying the difference on our behalf to the oil cabals in subsidy and so by removing the subsidy the government is simply telling us that they have no other creative ways of generating more money so we have to stop this welfare we pay to the citizens. The government is looking for free easy money without having to work for it and this is the easiest way for them to do it. They do not want to do the hard work that China did to increase their tax base so that the government can have more taxes. Look at the whole south east ? Full of brilliant minds. That whole south east is ripe for an industrial revolution. Turn the whole south east to a manufacturing hub and invite investors from all over the world to come and manufacture their products there . The country would be rich overnight as foreign currency flows in and government has more money money to tax and this way they don’t have to look for money by going for low hanging fruit like removing subsidy. This is the government telling you it has no ideas and ways to generate money and is looking for the easy way out which is terminating the WELFARE PACKAGE of the citizens and you zombies are supporting your own slaughter

OP, you have said it all

Thank you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by sukkot: 8:28am On Jun 02, 2023
betshopagent:
Op I see what you did there. From your previous posts, it shows you are a northerner. But of all the region you chooses the sou
am lagosian. the real lagosians
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Anyiamaka: 8:30am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:

The only people supporting that initiative are some senseless Yorubas who have vowed to give Tinubu a blind support. The good thing they all buy fuel from the same stations we buy fuel.

5 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Dennisbulkan: 8:31am On Jun 02, 2023
OP is a beneficiary of a large scale elite Mafias scheme called petrol subsidy. Subsidy scam must go, no going back sad

3 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by dejol88: 8:31am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:
The worst part is that after the claims by the politicians they have not reduced their own expenditure but want the masses to understand. Infact many Nigerians don’t think at all. Something that everyone should be on street.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by loffyloffy: 8:33am On Jun 02, 2023
mabea:
You have said it all. In a country where there's no accountability I wonder what will become of the so called money saved from subsidy removal.

You are still not getting it, there is no money to be saved from removing subsidy, we have been borrowing to pay the subsidy, and we are currently owing heavily.

Even with subsidy removal, we might still have to continue to borrow, to meet our outstanding loan obligation

4 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by N3TRAL: 8:33am On Jun 02, 2023
You're wrong. Fuel subsidy is not the only welfare package we receive as Nigerians.

Power (electricity) is heavily subsidized.

Education (primary, secondary and tertiary) is heavily subsidized.

Health care is heavily subsidized.

Our problem is ideological. We can't get anything working because of the welfarist system we adopted.

8 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by betshopagent(m): 8:35am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:
aboki cum Fulani leaving in Lagos.
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by sukkot: 8:45am On Jun 02, 2023
Anyiamaka:

The only people supporting that initiative are some senseless Yorubas who have vowed to give Tinubu a blind support. The good thing they all buy fuel from the same stations we buy fuel.
lets not make it tribal. even charly boy and peter obi support subsidy removal
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Nice2023(m): 8:48am On Jun 02, 2023
I asked the question before,I said what then do we benefits from the government.

Someone said, if I don't like it that i should go to Niger or Ghana to apply for their citizenship.

I just chuckled and wonder how biased and stupid some people can be even when it is apparent that they are suffering badly.

Any country that has no subsidy package or a welfare package for its citizen cannot survive.

Only time will tell if I am lying.

The almighty America has social security system and other sundry welfare packages that is still enforce today same with the United Kingdom,Spain and even Italy.
In South Africa,they have housing subsidy,they have unemployment insurance,they have cash assistance welfare programme and medical subsidy provisions.

But here,some people will just open their teeth and be following politicians without their brains intact.

What is good about this subsidy removal,when government cannot provide common roads,electricity and water.

All these are done by u...u provide solar for yourselves,some people even interlocked their streets these days and dig boreholes themselves.

What then do u enjoy from your govt...every 1k u spend or transfered to ur friends or anyone,u are charged 50naira or more through ur bank on any day u initiate a transaction.

Before December the effect of this subsidy removal will almost choke the poor among us.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by APCNig: 8:49am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:

You go just kill yourself over nothing.

Cry, wail, weep.

The fraudulent fuel subsidy is gone forever. What Buhari, Goatluck, Yar’Adua, and Obasanjo could not do for 24 years, Tinubu the JAGABAN did it in 30 minutes.

3 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Anyiamaka: 8:55am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:

Reasonable people support subsidy removal but not in the way and manner it has been done. I support subsidy removal but not Tinubu's arrogant and ruthless approach. Are our local refineries that have gulped trillions on maintenance now working? Did government improve the minimum wage earnings to cushion the effect of the now high cost of pms? With a known thief as the president, what guarantees that the money that would have been used to pay the subsidy if it was still subsisting, will be used to provide healthcare, fund education, and provide other infrastructure? These are the reservations. After all, there is no fuel station that sells cheaper for only APC or Yorubas. All of us are buying at the same rate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by dejol88: 10:18am On Jun 02, 2023
Anyiamaka:

Reasonable people support subsidy removal but not in the way and manner it has been done. I support subsidy removal but not Tinubu's arrogant and ruthless approach. Are our local refineries that have gulped trillions on maintenance now working? Did government improve the minimum wage earnings to cushion the effect of the now high cost of pms? With a known thief as the president, what guarantees that the money that would have been used to pay the subsidy if it was still subsisting, will be used to provide healthcare, fund education, and provide other infrastructure? These are the reservations. After all, there is no fuel station that sells cheaper for only APC or Yorubas. All of us are buying at the same rate.
Since the claims by the proponents of subsidies removal is because we need more money to fund critically infrastructure, why isn’t cost of governance be reduced at the bearest minimum too. How do you explain 1.7b for kitchen upgrades by the presidency? Or how do you explain the rascality by government officials on wasting spending?

3 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:49am On Jun 02, 2023
sukkot:
Subsidy is a welcomed development, but what measures did they put in place?
They didn't factor a lot of things. Just take a walk around u and see d massive suffering. U can't step an inch without somebody begging u money for food
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Anyiamaka: 10:59am On Jun 02, 2023
dejol88:

Since the claims by the proponents of subsidies removal is because we need more money to fund critically infrastructure, why isn’t cost of governance be reduced at the bearest minimum too. How do you explain 1.7b for kitchen upgrades by the presidency? Or how do you explain the rascality by government officials on wasting spending?

You have made good points that are in order. What sense is in upgrading the kitchen especially when it is proven that it has no impact on the ideas the stupid politicians who eat them will generate? You know what will happen with subsidy removal? They will increase all the silly allowances they earn with the money they claim will be used to build critical infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by tamdun: 11:02am On Jun 02, 2023
Dennisbulkan:
OP is a beneficiary of a large scale elite Mafias scheme called petrol subsidy. Subsidy scam must go, no going back sad
Gbam....
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by baralatie(m): 11:09am On Jun 02, 2023
N3TRAL:
You're wrong. Fuel subsidy is not the only welfare package we receive as Nigerians.

Power (electricity) is heavily subsidized.

Education (primary, secondary and tertiary) is heavily subsidized.

Health care is heavily subsidized.

Our problem is ideological. We can't get anything working because of the welfarist system we adopted.
Shey you know say fg has removed the subsidy on electric tariffs and is in awe of it's effect of financial damage that will hit consumers 🚴🚴🚴🚴

ASUU I still an unresolved item on the table o.primary and secondary school have not started their own o

Healthcare is also still n ongoing problem o

All these are just about remenuration and not infrastructure o🤷🤷🤷

How many palliatives do you want to spread across all these workers to ease the inflation 🤧🤧
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by TheAlphaHunter: 11:16am On Jun 02, 2023
I support the removal of the subsidy mainly because our subsidized fuel gets smuggled into other African countries, that is why we experience fuel shortages while also indirectly paying for fuel in other African countries, Tinubu made the right decision to remove subsidy so obidients should better stop wailing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Bebigiby1: 11:48am On Jun 02, 2023
Yes Fuel subsidy seem to be the only government policy that Nigerians enjoyed economically over the years. Removing it without building modular refineries or supplementary programs will exacerbate the economic situation of the country.... It is indeed sad that there are many people on Nairaland applauding Tinubu's illegitimate APC government for removing it. By this time next week if nothing is done I wonder how much a mudu of rice or garri will be in the market.... I am of the opinion that the failure of EFCC, ICPC and other anti graft agencies/committees to conclude investigations and prosecute litigations of crimes committed through NNPC is a major reason why fuel subsidy payments spiralled out of control see https://www.nairaland.com/7712067/nigerias-fuel-subsidy-nnpc-crime

The fuel subsidy scheme is not the problem, the issue here is mismanagement, corruption and looting by NNPC officials, politicians and oil marketers!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Saifullah01: 11:49am On Jun 02, 2023
Wow what a long read
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by nairalanda1(m): 12:03pm On Jun 02, 2023
To the OP

First the welfare package the UK citizens get is paid for from heavy taxation. If we imposed UK tax rates on Nigerians, you and your pals will shout that government is oppressing us.

Second the problem with fuel subsidy is that its cost has been increasing year in and year out. As a result, the money to pay for subsidy ....which comes from oil revenue, not from tax, is running out. Last year, we were borrowing to pay for subsidy directly. This year, subsidy costs were set to surpass what we paid last year.

At some point, if we continued with the subsidy, Nigeria would have run out of money completely. Meaning no money to pay for salaries, no money for projects, nothing.

Plus, we lose billions to smuggling of fuel, and millions again to false subsidy claims, stealing and corruption. On top of the losses from subsidy.

The truth is, we should have removed this subsidy since 1993, if not earlier. We did not, and here we are. We have no money to give for subsidy anymore.

So, unless you want us to pay tax rates of 20-40% as they do in the UK....we cannot afford subsidy. And even if we cut cost of governance, at best it would bring in 1-2 trillion naira. At best. Subsidy costs this year have passed 3 trillion naira. And the year is not over.

So, oga, e get why.

2 Likes

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Kayyy: 12:28pm On Jun 02, 2023
Sometimes I read somethings online and I can only but laugh, someone posted that the south east has sound minds and is ready for manufacturing and what do you see, posters corroborating and praising the post, if it was the north or south west that was mentioned, hell would be let loose.

Can I ask, the south west don't have sound minds and is not ready for industrialization? What about the north, the middle belt, the south south/Niger Delta ?also why is it that majority of posters here base their post around regional supremacy, regional domination ?, How many industries did Jonathan build in the Niger Delta as president ? How many factories did Buhari build in the north west or even Katsina as president ? Why must the president only focus on one region? And why a particular region ? , We have many attractive sites all over Nigeria for industrialization, and also we have so many potential game changing projects scattered all over the country that are moribund, shouldn't the plan be looking at the most priority that would transform our country immediately and also create jobs, should'nt there be more private players allowed to come in ? Why should one region be the focus
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by sukkot: 12:35pm On Jun 02, 2023
Kayyy:
Sometimes I read somethings online and I can only but laugh, someone posted that the south east has sound minds and is ready for manufacturing and what do you see, posters corroborating and praising the post, if it was the north or south west that was mentioned, hell would be let loose.

Can I ask, the south west don't have sound minds and is not ready for industrialization? What about the north, the middle belt, the south south/Niger Delta ?also why is majority of posters here base their post around regional supremacy, regional domination ?, How many industries did Jonathan build in the Niger Delta as president ? How many factories did Buhari build in the north west or even Katsina as president ? Why must the president only focus on one region? And why a particular region ? , We have many attractive sites all over Nigeria for industrialization, and also we have so many potential game changing projects scattered all over the country that are moribund, shouldn't the plan be looking at the most priority that would transform our country immediately and also create jobs, should there be more private players allowed to come in ? Why should one region be the focus
different tribes are endowed with different spiritual gifts. the southeast is where the spirit type called tubal-cain is which is the ability to work with iron and metals . to fashion things out of iron and metal. thats our industrial revolution hub. the igbo man is the descendant of tubal-cain in the bible
Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by CaptainGo: 12:36pm On Jun 02, 2023
nairalanda1:
To the OP

First the welfare package the UK citizens get is paid for from heavy taxation. If we imposed UK tax rates on Nigerians, you and your pals will shout that government is oppressing us.

Second the problem with fuel subsidy is that its cost has been increasing year in and year out. As a result, the money to pay for subsidy ....which comes from oil revenue, not from tax, is running out. Last year, we were borrowing to pay for subsidy directly. This year, subsidy costs were set to surpass what we paid last year.

At some point, if we continued with the subsidy, Nigeria would have run out of money completely. Meaning no money to pay for salaries, no money for projects, nothing.

Plus, we lose billions to smuggling of fuel, and millions again to false subsidy claims, stealing and corruption. On top of the losses from subsidy.

The truth is, we should have removed this subsidy since 1993, if not earlier. We did not, and here we are. We have no money to give for subsidy anymore.

So, unless you want us to pay tax rates of 20-40% as they do in the UK....we cannot afford subsidy. And even if we cut cost of governance, at best it would bring in 1-2 trillion naira. At best. Subsidy costs this year have passed 3 trillion naira. And the year is not over.

So, oga, e get why.

Thank you for educating him.

Every well-meaning Nigerian from GEJ to Okonjo-Iweala, Emir Sanusi, Adeshina, Peter Obi etc. are proponents of subsidy removal.

Let's get rid of petrol subsidy once and for all. It is punishing the economy and madly enriching a few.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by Bebigiby1: 12:47pm On Jun 02, 2023
Can NNPC or oil marketers defend the figures purported to be the cost of fuel subsidy and amount of fuel consumed by Nigerians? Of course they can't justify the astronomical rise in subsidy payments if probed by a serious government.... Again, why must Nigerians pay for the mismanagement, looting, corruption and wrong decisions of our leaders? If the APC government was serious about fuel subsidy payments why didn't they build a new refinery within the last 8 years? Also there have been several petroleum subsidy litigations during this period that exposed massive graft by both government officials and private participants in the petroleum industry, why did our anti-graft agencies and committees fail to conclude investigations and prosecute these litigations? The truth is that removing subsidy which to me is a cosmetic approach to solving the underlying issues will only make our current economic situation worse as you can already see what is happening today..... You said that "....So, unless you want us to pay tax rates of 20-40% as they do in the UK....we cannot afford subsidy. And even if we cut cost of governance, at best it would bring in 1-2 trillion naira. At best. Subsidy costs this year have passed 3 trillion naira. And the year is not over." UK has a strong system of checks and balances to curtail stealing and abuse of public funds so you can't compare that to Nigeria. The main reason for the huge increases in subsidy payouts is simply corruption and greed by NNPC, politicians and marketers.... I believe that a serious government that is willing to establish a transparent fuel subsidy payment regime can address these issues without removing subsidy. Above all a serious government must as a matter of urgency build modular refineries and create innovative empowerment programs that will help key players in the Nigerian upstream petroleum sector to reduce cost and encourage local refining....

nairalanda1:
To the OP

So, oga, e get why.

1 Like

Re: The Madness In Citizens Supporting Subsidy Removal by motayoayinde: 12:53pm On Jun 02, 2023
YOU DO HAVE A POINT.
HOWEVER, THE TERRIBLE FRAUD THAT THE OIL SUBSIDY HAS BECOME IN NIGERIA IS ABOUT TO KILL US.

IT HAS TO GO

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Should Be Proud We Have Tinubu As President - Festus Keyamo / I Regret Voting For Tinubu / Mc Oluomo As Been Appointed As The New Actong Chairman Of NURTW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.