Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,701 members, 7,816,870 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi (19815 Views)

The Dangers Of Tinubu’s Wealth Without Enterprise By Reno Omokri / The Dangers Of Tinubu’s Wealth Without Enterprise - Reno Omokri / FG To Pay Nigerians Transport Allowance After Fuel Subsidy Removal- Zainab Ahmed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Poll23: 11:42am On Jun 03, 2023
All candidates promised to remove subsidy and you supported them but now against the removal of same subsidy cos your preferred candidate did not win....Nigerians and hypocracy

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Gaabasky: 11:43am On Jun 03, 2023
Thank God I am not alone in this regard. Saudi, Angola, Russia, Libya during Ghadafhi, subsidizing their fuel products even with their functional refineries. We are treating the symptoms instead of the cause n if at all the pallatives measurements should have b.n putting in places not the one of Covid period
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by grandstar(m): 11:44am On Jun 03, 2023
I only read fragments of this article and was highly disappointed.

When someone as highly respected as Kperogi spouts economic illiterate ideals, his word becomes a shining light to those who are either ignorant or determined to remain in their ignorance.

How is a tax holiday to companies a subsidy on petroleum products? If I ask Cadbury for instance to paying stop paying company tax, how is that a subsidy on the beverages it makes? It only means that Cadbury will be able to keep more of the profit it makes.

"50 states spend $10bn to subsidize petroleum consumption in the United states." This is absolute nonsense. First and foremost , $10bn is a drop in the bucket for an economy as large as the US,

1. California – $3.5 trillion
2. Texas – $2.1 trillion
3. New York – $1.9 trillion
4. Florida – $1.3 trillion
5. Illinois – $973 billion
6. Pennsylvania – $874 billion
7. Ohio – $765 billion
8. Georgia – $713 billion
9. New Jersey – $700 billion
10. Washington – $696 billion

America's 10th largest state has GDP of $696, that is higher than that of Nigeria's which is $440b. How far will $10bn go?

A lot of the statistics he gives are inaccurate. He said 99% of US students drive to school. In US colleges, many college students are dependent on Ramen noodles (their own Indomie) to save on cost.

He said that petrol is cheaper in Georgia than in America. I did my calculations and found out that Nigeria was still cheaper. When converted to Naira, the Georgia state price is N565/litre.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by emerged01(m): 11:44am On Jun 03, 2023
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

Government all over the world are subsidizing basic needs of the people

China provides world record subsidy on cotton for its people

USA subsidize oil, Agriculture, housing, automobiles and health care

What are our govt subsidizing for its people, nothing

The only product you are subsidizing is what you want to remove because you simply have no idea on how to tackle the corruption that has engulf the policy?

If you cant, abeg step down..we have people that can sanitize the system and bring normalcy

Bro,this matter is just like two families with different income. I believe you wont expect the two families to spend the same way.
You cant be comparing US revenue with ours. The only product FG is subsidising is been taken advantage of by the smugglers. For me,I know the next few months would be tough but we all need to make that sacrifice for once. In 2012,many people came to protest against subsidy removal but now they are regretting their action because they realised they were used. This shouldn't happen again.
Fuel product without subsidy =500
Fuel with subsidy =185
Calculated subsidy to be paid on a lt = 315
And we were told we consumed 60m litres daily which I believe is false.
315 * 60m=18b daily on Subsidy. Calculate what 18b will turn to in 6months or a year.
What is our yearly revenue? No wonder we always borrow and when we borrow we will still need to service our debt.With Subsidy and servicing of debt how do you expect the govt to fund projects? I'm not saying our govt is not corrupt. Corruption is another reason most people are against subsidy removal. It needs to be dealt with for removal of subsidy to yield go result in no time.
If my calculation is right,if subsidy continues,Nigeria will fall in the same situation with Venezuela.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Shikini: 11:45am On Jun 03, 2023
Great
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by HopeSpencer: 11:47am On Jun 03, 2023
pandoragirigory:
Tinubu is trying to accelerate good governance, but Nigeria of tribalism and religious sentiments is not ripe for it, he should put some modalities in place to cushion the undesirable effects of high fuel purchase after subsidy

Which modality will you put in place that will alleviate movement surffering? You have government bikes that will transport people in and out of un-motorable roads abi?
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Donkenny511(m): 11:48am On Jun 03, 2023
The government also subsidized education, agriculture, health and other things. If not we will not be able to afford a federal university
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

The only product you are subsidizing is what you want to remove because you simply have no idea on how to tackle the corruption that has engulf the policy?

If you cant, abeg step down..we have people that can sanitize the system and bring normalcy

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by blueAgent(m): 11:51am On Jun 03, 2023
casualobserver:

A Nigerian senator earns $2000 a month, a us senator earns $15,0000 a month. They all get expenses and allowances.

But that is not the point, a government jet that costs $50m is $50m where it is in America, Ghana or Nigeria. A president will get a salary whether his population is 2m or 200m. The difference between the salary of a president of a country with 2m will not be that different from the salary of a president of a country of 300m.

But there are certain things that are proportional to the size of the population, the economy and other metrics of a country. If your GDP is $500m and you spend $10b on petrol subsidy, then 2% of your economy is fuel subsidy. If your GDP is 23 trillion, $10b is only 0.04%. We are spending 50 times the proportion of our GDP on subsidy compared to America. Also Nigeria has only 11m cars, America has 262m cars. So per car the subsidy in America is 24 times less. Further more govt revenue in Nigeria Is $40b, in America it is $2.6 TRILLION. A country making 2.6 trillion in taxes and revenue spending $10b on 262 million cars is not the same as another making $40b in revenues spending a quarter of his total revenue on just 11m cars. Like I said we are not mates.

Are you an APC supporters?

This article is well analysed and logical.

Most APC supporters do not have brain to carryout analytical thinking or less you copied and pasted.

Kudos. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Vision101(m): 11:55am On Jun 03, 2023
@nairalanda1
It is like Kperoggi does not get why subsidy is evil.

The problem with subsides is that here in Nigeria, we don't do what the US does and subsidise production. Instead we spend time subsidising things at the sale point.

So, we sell fuel below what it costs to refine it, and what it costs to transport it. The result...distortions that lead to things like smugging, stealing, looting and corruption.

But here is why subsidy is insidious.....the difference between the production cost and the subsidised cost keeps rising. That adds to the subsidy cost. Then the increase in number of consumers, that also adds on.

Then how are we paying for the subsidy.? We pay for it from oil income...which in Nigeria has never been enough because the price is never high enough (that is why GEJ took loans even when oil prices were high...for those of you who love to crap on that). And oil prices have been low since 2014. Very low. So, we have to borrow to make up the difference...and a large chunk of the money goes to subsidy.

And the more the cost of the subsidy rises...the greater the amount we spend from the budget...till we reach a point where we spend all our revenue on subsidy, borrow to add to money spent on subsidy, and then cover the deficit with more borrowing.

And the more we do that, the worse it gets.

Look, I am aware the poor will suffer when subsidy goes. God knows I know this and hate it, so for anyone quoting me to abuse and call me names, or ask silly questions, or call me government supporter....I know, and it uspets me a lot. But if we keep subsidy, as you will soon see, the poor would suffer even more.

But if we keep the subsidy, we would have reached a point where there would have been no money for things like salaries, projects, etc. And if we were making fuel at home, we would start saving cost by skimping on refinery repair and maintenance....and that's how we lost our 4 refineries...and became net importers, and ended up being at the mercy of cabals....because we wanted cheap fuel.

Anyone advoxcating for subsidy wants us to be as broke as Sri Lanka and Lebanon. So broke that the IMF is literally running things there.

If you want the poor to be helped...remove subsidy. And yes, people would suffer, but when we get better refineries, improved production and more revenue, we would wake up.

And yes, APC has failed. But the fact that we have a devious APC government in charge should not be an excuse to keep subsidy.

@me
I love your submission

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by chidiokay: 11:56am On Jun 03, 2023
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

Do i need to remind you subsidy as being existence in Nigeria for over two decades ... e never reach one week wey govt comot subsidy and you are sounding like subsidy never happened.

How many times do we have sensitize the public borrowing to finance our budget becos 96% of revenue goes into serving and paying loan us about plunging Nigeria economy into coma, WE DON'T HAVE THAT MONEY.
Even as subsidy stops there is no free money anywhere, the only relieve will be we are not borrowing.
Borrowing to invest or build is viable But Borrowing to live a Lifestyle is one of the most foolish thing anyone can do.
Kpeogre said Us is subsidizing essential products for americans but is america borrowing to pay those subsidies, that is the what we must discuss.
Must we keep borrowing for the interest of the people when its at the detrimental of the economy, what happen when we lose our credit score and we can't borrow again ... we should wait till that happens abi

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by JoshTim: 11:57am On Jun 03, 2023
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

Why must Nigeria subsidize oil when we are a major producer?...we do have refineries but have you bothered to ask, why those refineries are not fully operational?...have you bothered to ask why we export crude oil to be refined abroad?

Understand context where subsidy can be applied

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by TollinsN: 12:03pm On Jun 03, 2023
This is a very good article. I believe this article does not take some African factors into consideration.
(1) Corruption in America is far less than what is obtained in Nigeria.
(2) Neighbor countries don't feed on American economy like it's happening in Nigeria. It has gone to the extent that these countries had put those who will fight against removal of subsidy on payroll by ensuring they have protected account in their countries. Including the so called labour leaders.
(3) America had always been against business cartels (including Oil cartels). They are so rich such that they have all it takes to fight the government even from within. For example OKONJO IWEALA'S mother was kidnapped and during negotiations, she was told to back out of her support to remove subsidy and also announce her resignation from government on National medias. It was former president Johnson that saved her situation by telling her not to resign after which security agents were able to rescue her mother.
(4) Security agents that government could have been used to forestall all these goes home weakly with several millions just for them to look away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by RealAlubarika(m): 12:07pm On Jun 03, 2023
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

God bless you for this, currently I'm in Nigeria. Have been living in Italy for 6years counting. Government subsidizes Agricultural product, including energy consumption (light and gas) for foreigners and indigenes whose annual income is below certain level. Why do we Nigerians demonized subsidy as if it's bad. Why can't they reduce or eliminate the corruption laden in it, than to make the poor citizenry suffer for their(Government) inefficiency.

We rise by lifting others
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Ralph117: 12:08pm On Jun 03, 2023
You have made a good point I’m not Bat fan I don’t like his kind of politic but when you talk about Sri Lanka my heart pants, when you look Venezuela i get scared of Nigeria every day this country is great one but some unscrupulous element have bastardized it I really wish for a progressive nation, removing the subsidy is good one if only there is transparency in the oil and gas sector

Tinubu should be straight with Nigerians with his plan for every money the govt made from remover of subsidy and how he plan to implement what every project he intend to do for Nigeria people, during president Goodluck Administration he had a committee called Sure-p head by Ngozi olejeme, no Account was given how money was spent.

Tinubu should be make the Nigeria people know if it’s total remover of subsidy or he want to increase PMS price and lie under subsidy because you don’t expect me to be loyal for a particular period of time and again you come up with subsidy again

In all I think they should a be strict law enacted by the legislature in the oil and gas sector because some few people can’t be bigger than 200 millions

Nigerians should brace up because it’s not going to be easy with the way APC govt had bring over 133 million Nigeria to his knees God is our strength

nairalanda1:

The problem with subsides is that here in Nigeria, we don't do what the US does and subsidise production. Instead we spend time subsidising things at the sale point.

So, we sell fuel below what it costs to refine it, and what it costs to transport it. The result...distortions that lead to things like smugging, stealing, looting and corruption.

But here is why subsidy is insidious.....the difference between the production cost and the subsidised cost keeps rising. That adds to the subsidy cost. Then the increase in number of consumers, that also adds on.

Then how are we paying for the subsidy.? We pay for it from oil income...which in Nigeria has never been enough because the price is never high enough (that is why GEJ took loans even when oil prices were high...for those of you who love to crap on that). And oil prices have been low since 2014. Very low. So, we have to borrow to make up the difference...and a large chunk of the money goes to subsidy.

And the more the cost of the subsidy rises...the greater the amount we spend from the budget...till we reach a point where we spend all our revenue on subsidy, borrow to add to money spent on subsidy, and then cover the deficit with more borrowing.

Look, I am aware the poor will suffer when subsidy goes. God knows I know this and hate it, so for anyone quoting me to abuse and call me names, or ask silly questions, or call me government supporter....I know, and it uspets me a lot. But if we keep subsidy, as you will soon see, the poor would suffer even more.

But if we keep the subsidy, we would have reached a point where there would have been no money for things like salaries, projects, etc. And if we were making fuel at home, we would start saving cost by skimping on refinery repair and maintenance....and that's how we lost our 4 refineries...and became net importers, and ended up being at the mercy of cabals....because we wanted cheap fuel.

Anyone advoxcating for subsidy wants us to be as broke as Sri Lanka and Lebanon. So broke that the IMF is literally running things there.

If you want the poor to be helped...remove subsidy. And yes, people would suffer, but when we get better refineries, improved production and more revenue, we would wake up.

And yes, APC has failed. But the fact that we have a devious APC government in charge should not be an excuse to keep subsidy.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Kukutenla: 12:26pm On Jun 03, 2023
chokekachy:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02PhMv7jqCqsMa98Mp7YYAafK3mYjWadBtxEiF6CoXmk4JUSZFMKWhc8V93Jz5cfpwl&id=47904265&mibextid=Nif5oz
Spot on!
Farooq summarised it perfectly. APC have deployed propaganda over the years to demonise subsidy whose removal they also railed against.
Subsidy is not the problem, corruption is the problem
Is subsidy must go, the money saved must go into salary increment, public transportation nationwide and keeping cost of basic agricultural products low.
Anything outside that is pure scam
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by grandstar(m): 12:27pm On Jun 03, 2023
Dougad:
The fools supporting this nonsense are most abundant group of people in this country. Follow follow other people mouth na wetin there Sabi. Ask the idiots to break down the reason for supporting the subsidy removal and you'll see they don't know what they're talking about.

This is how these fools were boldly supporting cashless policy because "it'll prevent politicians from buying votes" without realising the people who would suffer the most is the common man.

These idiots are in support of subsidy removal without working refineries because "politicians won't see subsidy money to chop again" forgetting that the common man would see suffering like never before in this economy. I look everybody laugh.

Instead of these idiots to punish the inadequate politicians that have been on seat without providing working refineries by voting them out and demanding action, they want the common man to bear the consequences of the politicians' inadequacies by shouting "remove subsidy"

As a kid I used to think adults in this country had all the wisdom. As a grown up, I've realized that we're nothing but a country filled with fools with zero critical thinking skills.

With brainless animals at the helm of affairs alongside their supporters, this country will always remain in a cycle of failure

Stupid fûcktards

Why are fools and idiots supporting subsidy removal:

How much is a litre of crude oil? It is 48 cents as of today. If multiplied by the official rate of 461 = N220/litre. As of last week, petrol was selling at 185/litre. Let us add N100 refining cost and it rises to N320.

End product = N320
Selling price = N185

Difference 185-320= -135

Again, Nigeria consumes 100m of petrol daily. It is suspected only 60 million litres is used locally. So, 60 X 135 = 8.1bn daily subsidizing petrol.

If we choose to use 630 rate, rather than the very unrealistic 460 to do our calculation, the total if we add refining of 100 and total with be 402/litre

You can see the fools and idiots who support the fuel subsidy removal are really stupid and daft.

The subsidy increases to N235 per litre. Multiply by 60m and you get 14bn daily.

Government claims it will spend $10bn this year on subsidy if nothing is done to stop it. Already smuggling across the border has stopped. This worked better that anything in stopping refined crude smuggling.

Kperogi isn't an economist and many of the statistics he has given are wrong. Economist work on accurate stats to push their points across. It is the use of such inaccuracies that people start slamming Peter Obi.

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Yadid(m): 12:27pm On Jun 03, 2023
I see some folks up there saying Nigeria is broke. Let's be mindful of our words please. Nigeria is not broke, Nigeria has only been looted to emptiness by some few people. Don't say Nigeria is broke as if Nigeria ran out of resources as a result of catering to her citizens. Nigeria has been looted dry. Thank you!
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Kukutenla: 12:29pm On Jun 03, 2023
Donkenny511:
The government also subsidized education, agriculture, health and other things. If not we will not be able to afford a federal university
Wait, let me get you. What is govt supposed to do with the money gained from tax and other incomes if it does not spend it on education, health, agriculture etc. Are you aware education in the US and Canada is heavily subsidized up to equivalent of secondary school?
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by XAUBulls: 12:30pm On Jun 03, 2023
chokekachy:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02PhMv7jqCqsMa98Mp7YYAafK3mYjWadBtxEiF6CoXmk4JUSZFMKWhc8V93Jz5cfpwl&id=47904265&mibextid=Nif5oz
A whopping $10 billion per year will be saved annually from the fuel subsidy removal that can then be channeled to more productive use.
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by grandstar(m): 12:31pm On Jun 03, 2023
nairalanda1:

Petrol alone was being sold below what it cost to drill it out. A litre of crude oil was 48 cents as of today. Just using the official rate of 461 and you get N220 per litre. We haven't factored in refining cost. What if an exchange rate of 630 was used?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Tin07(m): 12:34pm On Jun 03, 2023
Each candidate in the last election promised to remove subsidy. This however didn't mean its removal is good. The poor will be hard hit. Tackle the corruption in it and not otherwise.
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by mrkenny05: 12:40pm On Jun 03, 2023
nairalanda1:

Very grateful for this analysis....

The system is very corrupt....
and somewhat out there to get rid of Nigerian state that if not boldly approached like PBAT is doing ....we may some day to come meet an undeniable Waterloo as a country....
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by sonature1: 1:08pm On Jun 03, 2023
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

I will assume you don't know it.

Nigerian government subsidizes education, health care, electricity and other affordable services government provides.

Keep that in mind next time you want to criticize the government.
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by nitt: 1:41pm On Jun 03, 2023
A well written piece.

The Author summed it up.

"Let's see".
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by emani03(m): 1:48pm On Jun 03, 2023
You just said my mind bro.

Dougad:
The fools supporting this nonsense are most abundant group of people in this country. Follow follow other people mouth na wetin there Sabi. Ask the idiots to break down the reason for supporting the subsidy removal and you'll see they don't know what they're talking about.

This is how these fools were boldly supporting cashless policy because "it'll prevent politicians from buying votes" without realising the people who would suffer the most is the common man.

These idiots are in support of subsidy removal without working refineries because "politicians won't see subsidy money to chop again" forgetting that the common man would see suffering like never before in this economy. I look everybody laugh.

Instead of these idiots to punish the inadequate politicians that have been on seat without providing working refineries by voting them out and demanding action, they want the common man to bear the consequences of the politicians' inadequacies by shouting "remove subsidy"

As a kid I used to think adults in this country had all the wisdom. As a grown up, I've realized that we're nothing but a country filled with fools with zero critical thinking skills.

With brainless animals at the helm of affairs alongside their supporters, this country will always remain in a cycle of failure

Stupid fûcktards
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by COMPAQ(m): 1:51pm On Jun 03, 2023
datola:
Hmm... Mr Kperogi.

Nigeria cannot survive further subsidy payment. America is 1,000 richer than Nigeria and can afford to subsidize

The issue of fixing refineries does not even profer any solution because it will still be sold at market price. And can those refineries ever work again after sinking billions every year in year out.

If I were them FG I would sell off the refineries at any amount offered than be spending so much on it for decades without any positive results.

Are you minding him? The budget of the state of Texas alone is higher than Nigeria's FG, State and local government combined!!

What America or a western country can afford is very different from what we can afford.

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by COMPAQ(m): 1:58pm On Jun 03, 2023
richidinho:

Stop supporting rubbish

Please explain how USA subsidizes housing, autos and healthcare. Cos I know for a fact that healthcare in the US is among the most expensive in the world. If you call ambulance to your house alone, expect bill of like $2k.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Tonytonex(m): 2:02pm On Jun 03, 2023
chokekachy:

ignorance is truly epic disease in this part of the world. that is what the politicians are using to accrued suffering to the masses.
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Idoko619(m): 2:21pm On Jun 03, 2023
Sunshine34:
Kperogi with imaginary solutions. It is when you get there first hand that u will know writing is different from fact. SUBSIDY IS A CRIME. Kperogi thinks he's wise. Chioor

I expect a counter proof but nah, your brain cannot carry it.
Re: President Tinubu And The Dangers Of Fuel Subsidy Removal - Kperogi by Skyehigher1: 2:30pm On Jun 03, 2023
Write up isonu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Restructuring: We’re Not Afraid, But Won’t Be Stampeded — Northern Elders / Bukola Saraki At Paul Arkwright's Home To Mark Queen Elizabeth's Birthday / Uzodinma Hosts Orji Kalu after Constitution Review Public Hearing In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.