Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? (53044 Views)

This Big And Long Python Was Killed In My Area (pics) / My Brother Killed This Big Antelope Today (photo) / This Big Bush Meat Could Worth More Than #20,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by XAUBulls: 8:01pm On Dec 22, 2023
okoroemeka:
imagine if such fish is left in the wild for 15-20 years,I have seen a catfish captured in imo river that is more than 25 times the size of that pond breed,it was sold for #25k in 2005 and it took more than 5 men to load it inside a cargo bus
That's incredible! A large catfish of that size in a natural habitat like Imo river. I wonder if crocodiles are in the Imo River as well?

What state was that catfish got in 2005? I know the Imo river flows through many states from Abia right through Akwa Ibom, Rivers, then right into the Atlantic ocean.
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by UncleKoboko: 8:05pm On Dec 22, 2023
ahnie:
This is Claras right?
Abii na heltro.

The age should be 6 months
Na 2 months ozour

1 Like

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by warrifinest1985: 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
LocalFARMERS:
This Cat Fish is massive. Lets see who can guess the age of this Cat Fish right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EhX_IMM11k
10 Years
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by fm7070: 8:45pm On Dec 22, 2023
This heterobranchus is not less than 3years.

It should not be less than 5kg
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by SavageMaster: 8:50pm On Dec 22, 2023
LocalFARMERS:
This Cat Fish is massive. Lets see who can guess the age of this Cat Fish right.

It is one year plus
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by VaginaAcademic: 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2023
The bigger the catfish the more it becomes tasteless and bland
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Philipmaxwell: 9:13pm On Dec 22, 2023
ahnie:
This is Claras right?
Abii na heltro.

You dey whine?? That Fish should be 2years old
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Sergioaguero: 9:16pm On Dec 22, 2023
LocalFARMERS:

I dont know the specie. But you are wrong.

Hetero

1 Like

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by nizelgirl(f): 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2023
I wonder how some people are saying three months for such a big catfish fish. Anyways it's between 2-3 years. I once had such a mature brookstock while I sold some for hatching I also use some for home use and even giveaway for my close pal today the price of feeds is affecting the catfish business.

1 Like

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Verbtips(m): 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2023
365.5 years
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by magzey: 10:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
ahnie:
This is Claras right?
Abii na heltro.

no it should be up to 9-12 Months grin
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by merits(m): 10:31pm On Dec 22, 2023
LocalFARMERS:

Chemical fish.
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Caseless: 2:47am On Dec 23, 2023
They say it's heltro. Come... If Nigeria don't kill this, how long can this live and what is its maximum size?

1 Like

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by komodapson(m): 5:58am On Dec 23, 2023
ahnie:
It's heltro.

The age is what I don't know.

There's nothing called "heltro" , the correct generic name is Heterobranchus while the most c'mon ones that's widely being reared is Clarias gariepinus.... Nevertheless, the fish is a broodstock, they often use them for breeding of fish, by stripping them of their eggs after injection of pituitaries in saline solution or the use of ?( I don forget the other one..lmao) , it's been over 2 decades now I graduated as an Aquaculturist

2 Likes

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by komodapson(m): 6:08am On Dec 23, 2023
nizelgirl:
I wonder how some people are saying three months for such a big catfish fish. Anyways it's between 2-3 years. I once had such a mature brookstock while I sold some for hatching I also use some for home use and even giveaway for my close pal today the price of feeds is affecting the catfish business.

Hello bro, hope you're good. We all keep complaining about the price of fish feed , which is true, because feeding accounts for %70 of the operating cost in fish farming while management and the rest accounts for the remaining %30.

So what do we do about the feed price?

Solution: we look for alternative plant based crude protein (C.P) that we can substitute in replacement for exorbitant fishmeal...

Substitute for fishmeal are: soybean &bambara nut

But Government at the local&state level need to encourage farmers in the northern part of the country to grow more of this legumes by giving them incentives.

We cannot stem the tide of rising fish feed without backing of the Government and Private sector. Cry from now till tomorrow, the capitalist will want to keep ripping the farmers while at the end the Masses suffer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LordGuru1: 5:19pm On Dec 23, 2023
As wonderful as this your comment would have being, your desire for Yoruba Land(Igbos are already determined not to be enslaved) to still be Nutritionally Enslaved to the North even with your Tinubu as President shows that your IQ is way below average. Cow, Beans, Legumes, etc. Yoruba And is far more fertile for both Animal Production and Crop Production than any other part of Nigeria and Awolowo proved it.

All that Yoruba Youths needs to massively be demanding from President Tinubu at this Point is that he should massively pump Billions into starting Mechanized Agricultural Farms and Farm Settlements that should be leased to them so that those that seriously work and Profit are later allowed to forever own the landed Properties. This would make the Yourba Youths know that you don't need YahooYahoo to become a Millionaire. The President should also do what Awolowo did by Providing means of Processing, Transportating and Exporting the Farm Produce into International Market. This was how Awolowo Encouraged Yoruba Land to become the Richest Part of Nigeria and generated the Money with which Cocoa House and all the Industrial and 1at Ever in Africa Infrastructural Developments were achieved by the Yorubas.
The Enemies of Yoruba Land soon quickly Forcefully merged Yoruba Land with other Parts of Nigeria and ever since Brainwashed the Next Generation to think that Farming is Useless to them.
komodapson:

Hello bro, hope you're good. We all keep complaining about the price of fish feed , which is true, because feeding accounts for %70 of the operating cost in fish farming while management and the rest accounts for the remaining %30.

So what do we do about the feed price?

Solution: we look for alternative plant based crude protein (C.P) that we can substitute in replacement for exorbitant fishmeal...

Substitute for fishmeal are: soybean &bambara nut

But Government at the local&state level need to encourage farmers in the northern part of the country to grow more of this legumes by giving them incentives.

We cannot stem the tide of rising fish feed without backing of the Government and Private sector. Cry from now till tomorrow, the capitalist will want to keep ripping the farmers while at the end the Masses suffer

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Typing: 6:14pm On Dec 23, 2023
DREAMHOMES6970:
Looking at that fish from a scientific perspective it should not be less than 60 million years

Hmm
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Dshocker(m): 8:16am On Dec 30, 2023
doggedfighter:

You seem to know about fishes.

You have a pond ?

If you've been following Ahnie, you go know say she likes eating catfish.
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by Dshocker(m): 8:18am On Dec 30, 2023
LocalFARMERS:
A 3 years old Fish

The fish will end up dying for nothing, if he doesn't use it to make white soup and pounded yam.
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2023
Dshocker:

The fish will end up dying for nothing, if he doesn't use it to make white soup and pounded yam.

For your mind cheesy
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 6:20pm On Dec 30, 2023
warrifinest1985:
10 Years

Wrong. It is about 2 years
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2023
XAUBulls:

That's awesome. I never knew that catfishes could grow as big as that at 3 years of age. I wonder if the catfish taste would still remain the same if eventually served as a meal.

Mature Cat Fish taste better

1 Like

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2023
Realist777:

5 years old

Less than that
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by XAUBulls: 12:49am On Dec 31, 2023
LocalFARMERS:

Mature Cat Fish taste better
Thanks for the insightful feedback. I must commend you. You have functional topics and videos on all your threads.
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by XAUBulls: 1:01am On Dec 31, 2023
LordGuru1:
As wonderful as this your comment would have being, your desire for Yoruba Land(Igbos are already determined not to be enslaved) to still be Nutritionally Enslaved to the North even with your Tinubu as President shows that your IQ is way below average. Cow, Beans, Legumes, etc. Yoruba And is far more fertile for both Animal Production and Crop Production than any other part of Nigeria and Awolowo proved it.

All that Yoruba Youths needs to massively be demanding from President Tinubu at this Point is that he should massively pump Billions into starting Mechanized Agricultural Farms and Farm Settlements that should be leased to them so that those that seriously work and Profit are later allowed to forever own the landed Properties. This would make the Yourba Youths know that you don't need YahooYahoo to become a Millionaire. The President should also do what Awolowo did by Providing means of Processing, Transportating and Exporting the Farm Produce into International Market. This was how Awolowo Encouraged Yoruba Land to become the Richest Part of Nigeria and generated the Money with which Cocoa House and all the Industrial and 1at Ever in Africa Infrastructural Developments were achieved by the Yorubas.
The Enemies of Yoruba Land soon quickly Forcefully merged Yoruba Land with other Parts of Nigeria and ever since Brainwashed the Next Generation to think that Farming is Useless to them.
Let me come into your convo here.

You made valid points in your post about not depending completely on the far-North for food supplies but @dapson who you responded to has two-decades of post-graduate qualification as an Aquaculturist according to what he posted on this thread. You were harsh on him for saying that his IQ is way below average simply because he gave his perspectives.

Yorubaland will continue to supplement food supply from especially the North Central states like Plateau, Niger, Kwara, Kogi, Benue, etc, because NOT all food crops will thrive in specific areas in Yorubaland. However, folks can go for hydroponics, aquaphonics, improved seedlings from international institutions such as IITA, and the use of greenhouses to ensure more bumper harvests in peppers and tomatoes for instance. Hybrids and organically-grown crops are key to sustainable food production in Yorubaland and indeed other Nigerian states as long as there is massive security on farmlands.

Happy Holidays.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 1:41pm On Jan 02
XAUBulls:

Thanks for the insightful feedback. I must commend you. You have functional topics and videos on all your threads.

Thanks Bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 1:44pm On Jan 02
Dshocker:

Mature Fish like this dong die easily
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 3:03pm On Jan 02
warrifinest1985:
10 Years

If this Fish reach 10 years, it will be as big as a Car cheesy
Re: Can You Guess The Age Of This Big Cat Fish? by LocalFARMERS: 3:12pm On Feb 16
Cat fish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Huge Fish Spotted At Yaba. What's The Name? / See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. / How Much Is Tomatoes Paste In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.