Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,742 members, 7,862,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:27 PM

Ex-ekiti Speaker, One Other Remanded Over Fraud, Attempted Murder - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-ekiti Speaker, One Other Remanded Over Fraud, Attempted Murder (204 Views)

Oyebanji Mourns Ekiti Speaker, Afuye / Ekiti Speaker, Funminiyi Afuye Is Dead / Why We Resisted Fayose’s Ambush On Ekiti Assembly – Ekiti Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ex-ekiti Speaker, One Other Remanded Over Fraud, Attempted Murder by SportFm: 6:29pm On Jun 06, 2023
An Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court, on Tuesday, ordered the remand of a former Speaker of Ekiti House of Assembly, Dele Olugbemi, and one Tajero Adebayo in the Ado-Ekiti Correctional Centre over cases involving fraud and attempted murder.

Olugbemi, 48, and Adebayo, 42, whose addresses were not given, are facing a four-count of conspiracy, fraud, attempted murder and threat of violence.

The Police Prosecutor, Inspector Caleb Leramo, told the court that the defendants committed the offences on Feb. 24 at 7:00 p.m. and on May 31 at 10:30 p.m. in Ado-Ekiti.

Leramo said the defendants threatened violence against and attempted to murder one Chief Ogunyemi Aluko and another person.

He quoted Aluko as saying in his statement to the police that one of the defendants threatened him by saying, “I am a factional leader of Oodua People’s Congress in Ekiti State.”

“Hon. Olugbemi collected a sum of N400,000 from me under the pretence of recruiting 80 members of my group into Western Security Network, code-named ‘Amotekun’ at N5,000 per member, but none of them was shortlisted into the corps.

“When I requested a refund of my money, he started using his former office to threaten to deal with me.

“On May 31, he came to my house at 10:30 p.m. with four boys who were armed with guns, cutlasses and broken bottles.

“I was beaten mercilessly, and I sustained injuries to my head before I narrowly escaped from the scene,” the victim’s statement read.

According to the prosecutor, the offences contravene Sections 421, 329(1)(a), 241(a), and 46 of the Criminal Law of Ekiti, 2021.

He prayed the court to remand the defendants to a correctional centre, pending legal advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecution.

The pleas of the defendants were, however, not taken.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Saka Afunso, ordered the remand of the defendants in the Ado-Ekiti Correctional Centre, pending the issuance of legal advice.

He, thereafter, adjourned the case till July 3 for mention.
Re: Ex-ekiti Speaker, One Other Remanded Over Fraud, Attempted Murder by press9jatv: 6:38pm On Jun 06, 2023
Haaa gbese re oooo. This is always the end of unprepared lawmakers that doesn’t have plan when they are out of the government any time. They start to steal and commit series of crimes in the society when the money they are collecting when they are in power Isn’t forth coming
Re: Ex-ekiti Speaker, One Other Remanded Over Fraud, Attempted Murder by Praxis758: 3:11am On Jun 07, 2023
Some elites actually believe they are specially created citizens who are meant to break the law at will.

The day we get out policing right, that day will mark the end of politicians and elites oppressing the poor.

(1) (Reply)

From #occupynigeria To Muted Groans / LP HOA Member Impressed By President Tinubus's Intelligence And Preparedness / Tinubu Is My President, Never Knew He’s So Intelligent – Abia Labour Party Rep-e

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.