Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Boyfriend's mum Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Boyfriend's mum Advice (966 Views)

Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React / Pictures You Can Relate To If Your Mum Is A Typical African Mum / Boy Gets Corrected By His Mum On Instagram, He Yanks Off Her Comments (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boyfriend's mum Advice by Ruthie0224(f): 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2023
I'm a long distance relationship with my boyfriend.

He's talked to my siblings, I've talked to his siblings too

I'm always sending my greetings to his mum, and she sends her greetings too.

I feel like I should actually speak to her on the phone, but I'm scared due to the many mother-in-law story I've heard.

And I don't know what to say to her.

I'm thinking of speaking to her on the phone next time he visits her, please what do I say apart from greetings and 'how are you'?

We're both in Nigeria.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by donbachi(m): 7:12pm On Jun 06, 2023
As if you no go become mother in-law someday.

3 Likes

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by ibechris(m): 7:20pm On Jun 06, 2023
U are just in a relationship.

She is never ur mother in law yet.

It is only in Nigeria that girl friends do the work of a wife

U had better shine your eyes and know ur position.

Long distance relationship and u are this sure of a guy.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jun 06, 2023
I don't know about your elders there because the culture could be different, but one thing I've noticed about the elders in my community is that if you want to start a conversation with them and you don't know where to start, you do something like this, when you're busy exchanging pleasantries and it's then their turn to ask you 'how are you', immediately you're done telling them that you're fine, start talking about the weather... grin grin grin

After talking about the weather then everything would just start flowing and you'll start feeling comfortable bit by bit... grin grin grin... You then tell her about school, if you're still in school or work, if you're working and then life in general.

4 Likes

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Ruthie0224(f): 8:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
donbachi:
As if you no go become mother in-law someday.

Meaning?
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Ruthie0224(f): 8:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
ibechris:
U are just in a relationship.

She is never ur mother in law yet.

It is only in Nigeria that girl friends do the work of a wife

U had be better shine your eyes and know ur position.

Long distance relationship and u are this sure of a guy.

Can you explain better?
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Ruthie0224(f): 8:15pm On Jun 06, 2023
Samantha124:
I don't know about your elders there because the culture could be different, but one thing I've noticed about the elders in my community is that if you want to start a conversation with them and you don't know where to start, you do something like this, when you're busy exchanging pleasantries and it's then their turn to ask you 'how are you', immediately you're done telling them that you're fine, start talking about the weather... grin grin grin

After talking about the weather then everything would just start flowing and you'll start feeling comfortable bit by bit... grin grin grin... You then tell her about school, if you're still in school or work, if you're working and then life in general.

Okay...

I don't know how to talk about the weather though 👀
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 06, 2023
You don't know how to explain how the weather is like in your area? Or how it has been in the past few days?

Has it been raining, sunny, hot, or cold?

Let's say I'm your boyfriend's mother and I ask you ' how are you my child?'

Now reply me as if you're replying your boyfriend's mother... grin grin grin
Ruthie0224:

Okay...

I don't know how to talk about the weather though 👀
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Karleb(m): 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2023
Samantha124:
You don't know how to explain how the weather is like in your area? Or how it has been in the past few days?

Has it been raining, sunny, hot, or cold?

Let's say I'm your boyfriend's mother and I ask you ' how are you my child?'

Now reply me as if you're replying your boyfriend's mother... grin grin grin

This doesn't work in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 06, 2023
Okay, give her a better advice then.

I've tried my best.
Karleb:

This doesn't work in Nigeria
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by fyzaila: 9:28pm On Jun 06, 2023
Ask you boyfriend how you should greet his mum. He's in the best position to tell you what to say. Before you will go and say something and she'll misinterprete into something else.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by NoToPile: 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2023
1.Let your boyfriend decide when he wants his mum to speak with you.

2. Start with good morning ma.....

3 Likes

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Karleb(m): 9:37pm On Jun 06, 2023
Samantha124:
Okay, give her a better advice then.

I've tried my best.

She should calm the fuc.k down.

Older people like leading the conversation in Nigeria, she should follow her lead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 06, 2023
Okay.
Karleb:

She should calm the fuc.k down.

Older people like leading the conversation in Nigeria, she should follow her lead.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 06, 2023
Even when it's evening? grin grin grin
NoToPile:
1.Let your boyfriend decide when he wants his mum to speak with you.

2. Start with good morning ma.....

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by NoToPile: 8:54am On Jun 07, 2023
Samantha124:
Even when it's evening? grin grin grin

Loool I meant start with greeting

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by ibechris(m): 9:03am On Jun 07, 2023
Ruthie0224:

Can you explain better?

Don't be too close to such women...I had that experience when I was dating my first girlfriend then,and it got to point she delved into knowing much of my finance and my investment and even trying to control me.

Pls,a girl friend or boyfriend don't play the role of a married woman or man in any relationship.

Take this advice.

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 07, 2023
One lady that was dating our neighbors son back at home was like that... Always playing the role of a daughter-in-law and wife material.

Whenever she would visit her boyfriend's parents, she would do some deep cleaning to the entire house and you would see her outside cleaning the windows... grin grin grin

The boyfriend still dumped her in the end... grin grin grin
ibechris:

Don't be too close to such women...I had that experience when I was dating my first girlfriend then,and it got to point she delved into knowing much of my finance and my investment and even trying to control me.

Pls,a girl friend or boyfriend don't play the role of a married woman.

Take this advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by sageb: 10:54am On Jun 07, 2023
Samantha124:
One lady that was dating our neighbors son back at home was like that... Always playing the role of a daughter-in-law and wife material.

Whenever she would visit her boyfriend's parents, she would do some deep cleaning to the entire house and you would see her outside cleaning the windows... grin grin grin

Really?
Samantha124 I hope you will do these and more for A Nigerian man.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by felong(m): 11:29am On Jun 07, 2023
Call her and ask her if her son (your boyfriend) has introduced any girl to her. That she should help you monitor him since she's he's mother so that he won't cheat on you.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 07, 2023
grin grin grin grin
sageb:

Really?
Samantha124 I hope you will do these and more for A Nigerian man.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2023
Wouldn't that sounds disrespectful towards the mother?

I mean they haven't even met in person yet.

I'm not the traditional type, but if I had a son and his girlfriend talks to me for the first time over the phone like that, I'd feel disrespected... You haven't met me in person before, but you're already interrogating me and making demands about my own son? Nooo.
felong:
Call her and ask her if her son (your boyfriend) has introduced any girl to her. That she should help you monitor him since she's he's mother so that he won't cheat on you.
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by frozen70(f): 1:40am On Jun 08, 2023
Ruthie0224:
I'm a long distance relationship with my boyfriend.

He's talked to my siblings, I've talked to his siblings too

I'm always sending my greetings to his mum, and she sends her greetings too.

I feel like I should actually speak to her on the phone, but I'm scared due to the many mother-in-law story I've heard.

And I don't know what to say to her.

I'm thinking of speaking to her on the phone next time he visits her, please what do I say apart from greetings and 'how are you'?

We're both in Nigeria.

Speak to her about what?

Dont be too forward, just keep greeting her as you have always been

When it's time for your boyfriend to take you to her, you will see her and when you get there, talk less before you go and say some things that will be held against you in her mind
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Ishilove: 5:32am On Jun 08, 2023
Samantha124:

Heh. That's what happens when you give your boyfriend wife benefits
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by Lataability(m): 9:13am On Jun 08, 2023
Now here is what you will say.
Hello Mom, Good morning, good afternoon or evening Ma.
How are you Ma?
I HOPE YOU ARE HEALTHY AND STRONG.
Don't talk much so you wouldn't go off the track, let her do the talking and you do the answering and if she is not saying anything.
Just say Mum how is the weather over there, that it has been raining here so much this day
Re: Boyfriend's mum Advice by izonborn098(m): 9:49am On Jun 08, 2023
Your body just dey sweet u

(1) (Reply)

Help With Wedding! / American Marriages? The Untold Truth! / The Wife And Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.