Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Certifying "Certificates" At The Federal Ministries: A Need For Decentralization - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Certifying "Certificates" At The Federal Ministries: A Need For Decentralization (215 Views)

Get Free Online Certificates At Coursera This Lockdown / Ae- Funai Hosts Officials Of Federal Ministries Of Finance, Budget And National / Get Two Photography Certificates At The Price Of One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Certifying "Certificates" At The Federal Ministries: A Need For Decentralization by Lukgaf(m): 6:33am On Jun 08, 2023
Certifying "certificates" at the Federal Ministry of Education and Foreign Affairs: An Urgent Need for Administrative Decentralization

By Gafari Lukumon

One of the reforms I look forward to in this Tinubu administration is decentralizing some administrative powers to individual states or local government. Two examples worth mentioning are the bureaucratic procedures people go through when they need to certify their education certificates for foreign use or birth/marriage certificates for travel purposes.

As of today, affected students/citizens have to travel to the Ministry of Education or Foreign Affairs in Abuja (as the case may be) just to obtain a simple stamp on their documents. Imagine someone traveling from Iá¹£eyin - Oke-Ogun area of Oyo state to Abuja just to put a stamp on a document? Awkward? It is even stressful and poses life risks due to bad roads and insecurities. I am confident (though it might not be recorded) that some people might have lost their lives on the road just for this simple procedure.

Furthermore, the offices are usually overcrowded, creating an environment where corruption thrives as individuals may feel compelled to bribe officials in fear of having to stay in Abuja for another day. The least one can do is find someone staying in Abuja and send their certificates via courier. However, this raises concerns about the potential loss of certificates in the process. Why should I have to go to Abuja to do this? Hmmm. Why? Why can't we decentralize this to each state or even local government ministries of education? I think I have previously brought this matter to the attention of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Education on Twitter. Perhaps they will reply me tomorrow.

This situation underscores the consequences of appointing individuals to critical positions not based on their qualifications and expertise, but rather as a form of compensation or other considerations.

But many Nigerians may not perceive these challenges as significant until they become victims themselves. Good governance begins with having mercy and being considerate towards the citizens. It is crucial to implement reforms that prioritize the welfare and convenience of the people. We must strive for a system that alleviates unnecessary burdens, promotes efficiency, and protects the rights of every Nigerian. By addressing these issues and taking steps towards decentralization, we can foster an environment of good governance that truly serves the needs and aspirations of our nation.

I hope this get across to the appropriate authority.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Certifying "Certificates" At The Federal Ministries: A Need For Decentralization by Lukgaf(m): 3:45pm On Jun 09, 2023
"I had to fly from Lagos to Abuja for this. Before I finished there, the flight ticket don cost. I jejely enter bus and come back. The stress was just too much."
- Sesoft
Re: Certifying "Certificates" At The Federal Ministries: A Need For Decentralization by Lukgaf(m): 9:00am On Jul 07, 2023
Lalasticlala, please let's discuss this. Some Sudan returnees have been asked to do the same this week to normalize their admissions back to Nigeria. Imagine the stress these guys are going to undertake in the name of stamping their documents.

Imagine someone coming from the South
Re: Certifying "Certificates" At The Federal Ministries: A Need For Decentralization by Lukgaf(m): 5:11am On Jul 10, 2023

(1) (Reply)

How Scholardemia Is Revolutionising Approaches To Accessing Opportunities / Nitda/coursera Scholarship For Nigerian Citizens 2023 (fully-funded) / Three Schools Emerge Winners In Mathematics Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.