Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? (3331 Views)

Poll: At 51: Should Nigerians Celebrate?

Yes, we should celebrate.: 41% (15 votes)
No, there is nothing to celebrate.: 58% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Atiku's Photo With His Beautiful Daughters To Celebrate Day Of The Girl Child. / No Genuine Reason To Remove Oil Subsidy Yet–buhari / Osinbajo At Tinubu’s Residence To Celebrate With Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by egift(m): 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2011
With all that have happened, the events at hand and other immediate expectations, do you seriously believe there need for celebration on Nigeria's 51st Independence?
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by seanet02: 6:02pm On Sep 30, 2011
Sober Reflections
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by blackmann(m): 6:28pm On Sep 30, 2011
the least you can celebrate about is that you are still alive and the country has not yet degenerated to the levels of Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, etc.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by igbo2011(m): 6:47pm On Sep 30, 2011
Nigeria is one of the fastest growing economies in the world
Nigeria's power is getting a lot better and people are saving a lot more.
Nigeria has a numerous amount of projects that will make Nigeria a business hub (Eko Atlantic City, Rainbow Town in Port harcourt, Monorails in Enugu and Onitsa, Warri Industrial Park, Lekki Free Trade Zone)
Many Nigerians in the Diaspora are moving back to Nigeria to help build Nigeria.
Nigeria's middle class is on the rise. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBaZnl-AaIk)
We are set to be the number one economy by overtaking South Africa pretty soon.
We are se to be the number 6 economy in the world on 2050 (http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2011/02/2050-ad-india1-japan-9/)
Nollywood is the number 2 film industry in the world.
Governors are starting to do their job correctly (Fashola, Chime, Ameachi)
They are building a Six Flags next to Tinapa and a Jackson 5 memorial in Badagry which will help with the tourism industry
More people are investing in agriculture.

Let's stop talking about the negatives and seeing the positives.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Sunofgod(m): 6:51pm On Sep 30, 2011
Nothing to celebrate - it should actually be a day of mourning.

A forced, loveless marriage . . . . . . .
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by kingado: 6:56pm On Sep 30, 2011
Celebrate wat
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 30, 2011
Sorry o. I must celebrate. I have a country. I know where I'm from. I'll celebrate my heritage and culture. If you don't want to celebrate your country, quickly denounce your Nigerian citizenship and ancestry and come celebrate Kwanzaa with akata for obodo oyibo.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Lax75(m): 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2011
igbo2011:

Nigeria has a numerous amount of projects that will make Nigeria a business hub (Eko Atlantic City, Rainbow Town in Port harcourt, Monorails in Enugu and Onitsa, Warri Industrial Park, Lekki Free Trade Zone)
Many Nigerians in the Diaspora are moving back to Nigeria to help build Nigeria.
We are se to be the number 6 economy in the world on 2050 (http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2011/02/2050-ad-india1-japan-9/)
They are building a Six Flags next to Tinapa and a Jackson 5 memorial in Badagry which will help with the tourism industry

100% !!
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Surebeejay: 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2011
Yes just cause i'm a nigeria citizen, there's nothing more than that.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by sholasys: 3:08pm On Oct 01, 2011
We have noting to celebrate about but to thank God
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by freecocoa(f): 3:51pm On Oct 01, 2011
We should be thankful that we are alive but to celebrate?I really don't see anything worth celebrating,things are not working well especially the money aspect(its worse now) and I've not had power supply in 2 days and still counting,someone please tell me why and what I should celebrate?
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by juman(m): 4:14pm On Oct 01, 2011
Nothing to celebrate.

blackmann:

the least you can celebrate about is that you are still alive and the country has not yet degenerated to the levels of Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, etc.

It's not likely that Nigeria could degenerate to such countries. Our settings are different.

At worse the country would break violently and break totally.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by kabukabu(m): 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2011
absolutely nothing to celebrate. cool

1)Crushing unemployment.
2)zero class mobility
3)Total failure of the educational structure, which has to be addressed, ASUU and teacher union strikes.failing schools and low graduation rates.
4)Energy generation at less than 13% is horrendous even by 3rd world country standards, you can't be developed till you have uninterruptible power supply
5)Healthcare is out of reach of most and even the few facilities are suffering from obsolete and inadequate equipment,trained personnel.
6)Sports sector is a complete shadow of its former self,compared to 20 years ago,nigeria now has fewer training facilities which leaves hundreds of promising young athletes no choice but to quit or go overseas.
7)Only 3 or 4 of the governors are serious about getting the job done in their states.

The one thing nigeria leads in is building of new churches and mosques, period.

and how has that worked so far, yall tell me. grin
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by dagboss(m): 5:07pm On Oct 01, 2011
Definitely yes. At least Nigeria is still on her feet, just take a look at Liberia, Seria Leone and Somalia the issues that caused their problems are not as big as what we experience daily in this country
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:00pm On Oct 01, 2011
you should celebrate it marks the self rule as blacks, set a side the hardships the fellow black man has put against another fellow country man, i am zimbabwean thought sometimes i think in the same line saying whats to celebrate about our independence when a fellow country man is making our life so hard

but thats not the point it is self rule though it has bad leadership
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Librate(m): 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2011
of course we have many to celebrate things like 51yrs of mismanagement corruption badroads unemployement terrorism i personally av a lot to celebrate
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by picato: 6:54pm On Oct 01, 2011
Yes. Celebrate the impending division of that cursed country.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by ariyebaba(m): 8:25pm On Oct 01, 2011
HAPPY "FLAG" INDEPENDENCE. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by muyoto: 8:55pm On Oct 01, 2011
seanet02:

Sober Reflections

100% sad
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:29am On Oct 02, 2011
NIGERIA has problems,that, i agree
but can any of u give me 5 tins u or your parent did dat has affected nigeria positively?
if ur ansa is NO
you are no better than your leaders
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by blackmann(m): 1:11am On Oct 02, 2011
"All efforts to make this country ungovernable for my husband Mr. President will prove abortion"- Dame Patience Jonathan

i hear she said this again. is it true?
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by xothermik(m): 12:48pm On Oct 02, 2011

Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by chiefanan: 6:24pm On Oct 02, 2011
Honestly, the country Nigeria is not worth celebrating judging from what we have managed to achieve in 51 years. I just keep hoping that Nigeria is not beyond repair, I just keep hoping that one day we shall have our own Abraham Lincoln or Mandela, someone that will put the interest of the general public first before his pocket
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by RickyRoss1(m): 12:03am On Oct 03, 2011
igbo2011:

GOD BLESS YOU DEARLY.
THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD AND POSITIVE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT NIGERIA, ONLY LAZY IGNORANT FOOLS CONCENTRATE ON THE BAD AND NEGATIVE ONES. THIS COUNTRY IS MOVING FORWARD GRADUALLY.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by minto(m): 2:18am On Oct 03, 2011
Sun of god:

Nothing to celebrate - it should actually be a day of mourning.

A forced, loveless marriage . . . . . . .

@ sun of God

Mourning? Who die? Sure you're still alive, healthy and strong. Go to some places in some parts of the world and see what's up there may be you'll celebrate God for his mercy over Nigeria

@ post

Some problems are not peculiar to Nigeria though most of the time we're the architect of our problems. We only need to keep praying for our dear nation so that the setting sun could rise again. I wish my father (and mother too) land a happy anniversary.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Fhemmmy: 2:43am On Oct 03, 2011
What is there to celebrate about a fool at 51?
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Nobody: 4:39am On Oct 03, 2011
Donmichaelz:
NIGERIA has problems,that, i agree
but can any of u give me 5 tins u or your parent did dat has affected nigeria positively?
if your ansa is NO
you are no better than your leaders

I have my 5. As for the rest, answer this member abeg.
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by prince4lif: 10:00am On Oct 04, 2011
I woke up on the morning of October 1st and reflected on the blessings of Nigerian and why we still suffer this much, we are said to be a great nation, yes we are, our greatness is in us all as a people and the blessings God has bestowed upon our dear nation, but it's unfortunate that the SONS OF PERDITION among us who have re-branded themselves as politicians, came to rule us with the vision of their father the devil, they are thieves just as the bible has said, the thief only come to steal, kill and destroy, but I know by the grace of God it won't be long before the creator of heaven and earth brings judgement on them, the blood and souls of all innocent Nigerians who dies due to neglect or inadequate facilities or because of poverty will definitely hunt them. I am proud to say that Nigerians are naturally hard working and intelligent and this is why we have been able to survive in the hands of our greedy leaders, if we were like the Libyans who wait on the government on everything and don't work but yet receive a social security of about $400 per family every month then we would have resulted to into brutal war. Politicians in government are committing more crimes than ordinary citizens. Frustration and poverty has forced so many Nigerians out of their homes and we have a government who doesn't care, I live in Ghana and I can see the difference is clear, I have lived in Europe I see how people are being treated especially when in need and and in times of emergency, this bloody politicians travel abroad everyday and see the difference but can't tell why they will never implement policies that will change the lives of their people, they spend our money as if it's their inheritance, MAY GOD PUNISH EVERY SELF CENTERED AND FRAUDULENT POLITICIAN, their generation will suffer for all the harm they caused our great country and above all they will use all the money they stole from us to treat incurable diseases, CANCER AND STROKE shall be their portion. Even the bible says "Righteousness exalts a nation and sins a reproach to every nation". Oh God of heaven avenge our course and deliver us from blood sucking and greedy politicians, Let the words of the national anthem and oat they swore on assumption of office hunt them and their family. Amen!!!

GOD YOU HAVE ALREADY BLESS NIGERIA, MY PRAYER IS THAT YOU NOW DELIVER NIGERIA!
Re: Nigeria @ 51: Any Reason To Celebrate? by Godmann(m): 10:54am On Oct 04, 2011
prince4lif:

I woke up on the morning of October 1st and reflected on the blessings of Nigerian and why we still suffer this much, we are said to be a great nation, yes we are, our greatness is in us all as a people and the blessings God has bestowed upon our dear nation, but it's unfortunate that the SONS OF PERDITION among us who have re-branded themselves as politicians, came to rule us with the vision of their father the devil, they are thieves just as the bible has said, the thief only come to steal, kill and destroy, but I know by the grace of God it won't be long before the creator of heaven and earth brings judgement on them, the blood and souls of all innocent Nigerians who dies due to neglect or inadequate facilities or because of poverty will definitely hunt them. I am proud to say that Nigerians are naturally hard working and intelligent and this is why we have been able to survive in the hands of our greedy leaders, if we were like the Libyans who wait on the government on everything and don't work but yet receive a social security of about $400 per family every month then we would have resulted to into brutal war. Politicians in government are committing more crimes than ordinary citizens. Frustration and poverty has forced so many Nigerians out of their homes and we have a government who doesn't care, I live in Ghana and I can see the difference is clear, I have lived in Europe I see how people are being treated especially when in need and and in times of emergency, this bloody politicians travel abroad everyday and see the difference but can't tell why they will never implement policies that will change the lives of their people, they spend our money as if it's their inheritance, MAY GOD PUNISH EVERY SELF CENTERED AND FRAUDULENT POLITICIAN, their generation will suffer for all the harm they caused our great country and above all they will use all the money they stole from us to treat incurable diseases, CANCER AND STROKE shall be their portion. Even the bible says "Righteousness exalts a nation and sins a reproach to every nation". Oh God of heaven avenge our course and deliver us from blood sucking and greedy politicians, Let the words of the national anthem and oat they swore on assumption of office hunt them and their family. Amen!!!

GOD YOU HAVE ALREADY BLESS NIGERIA, MY PRAYER IS THAT YOU NOW DELIVER NIGERIA!

[size=15pt]AMEN[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranks 40th In Quality Of Governance In Oil And Gas / Ex-borno Governor, Sheriff, Acquires $72m Aircraft / Constitutional Loopholes To Blame Over Tambuwal’s Crisis – NBA President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.