Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,899 members, 7,821,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? (138 Views)

2023 Elections Vs June 12, 1993 Elections - Daily Trust / The Unofficial Results Of The Annulled June 12 1993 Election / Abiola: Sowore Protesting Annulment Of June 12, 1993 Election (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by domesifa(m): 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2023
June 12 in the eyes of Dominic Esifa

June 12,1993 had been a date most Nigerians and indeed the entire world awaited... Let's cast our minds back... I had just completed my primary school, waiting to start JS 1 in Spetember... Personally, I remember the gap-toothed then Head of State Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida AKA IBB.

I also remember that my interest in the media rose within that era. The Concord owned by MKO Abiola; The Punch, Post Express, The Guardian, The Champion owned by millionaire Emmanuel Iwanyanwu, The Vanguard, Daily Times, Chronicle in Calabar, The Tide, Complete Football and Complete Sports (wow) owned by Sunny Obazu-Ojeabeze, and the magazines - Tell, The News, Newswatch edited by Ray Ekpu, The Source edited by Comfort Obi were prominent in that era. Some daring publications such as Tell went underground, assumed different format just to deceive SSS after being proscribed...

Humphrey Nwosu was constantly being mistaken as footballer Henry Nwosu 😁😁😁

Soon after the annulment, journalism in Nigeria and the country as a whole attracted international attention. Journalists and others who could voice out their disapproval went on exile. The country became endangered 😉 when Sani Abacha took over from Shonekan in November 1993. The BBC, VOA, Radio Dutchwella, Radio Kudirat, Radio Biafra were Nigerians' favourite.

Oh Nigeria! Sanctions and suspensions from everywhere.

I also remember the phantom coup plot by General Donaldson Oladipo Diya who served as Chief of the General Staff, the de facto Vice President of Nigeria under General Sani Abacha and his arrest for treason in 1997. Those sentenced to death included two former cabinet officers, Maj. Gen. Tajudeen Olanrewaju and Maj. Gen. Abdulkareem Adisa, and a civilian. Four defendants were sentenced to life in prison, including a newspaper editor, Niran Malaolu.

Chai... What do you also remember about this era in Nigeria's history?

Re: June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by Olachase(m): 3:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
I wasn't born then

Buh I was told Obasanjo work against MKO

It baffle me to kW Obasanjo has been useless long time ago 😢😢😢
Re: June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by FXSavvy: 3:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
It was a very sad day.

MKO is our man oooo! 😁
Re: June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by ovieigho(m): 4:11pm On Jun 12, 2023
Olachase:
I wasn't born then

Buh I was told Obasanjo work against MKO

It baffle me to kW Obasanjo has been useless long time ago 😢😢😢
Kids everywhere
Re: June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by Isobug: 4:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
The Criminal Yoruba Teenagers that hijacked an Abuja bound plane from Lagos to Niger Republic with hope of getting to Germany for their Evil act on October 25, 1993, covering it up with fighting for democracy and Abiola's mandate when it was obvious they were totally hooked up and no escape.
If not for criminality, why was it planned for days?
They would have used media write ups and articles to change the narratives , had they be a South Easterner among them, calling it "Igbo Plane Hijack"
Terrible people
Shey una Sabi write propaganda?
Re: June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by Olachase(m): 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
ovieigho:

Kids everywhere
how did you mean kid 1995 isn't a kid Sir
Re: June 12, 1993: What Do You Remember About This Day? by richmond500: 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
My mom was 7months pregnant I believe

(1) (Reply)

Breaking:Sen. Barau Jibrin Is The 10th National Assembly Deputy Senate President / Red Cross Partners Police, Earmark ₦15m, Other Palliatives For 500 Flood Victims / Just Now: Wike And G5 Received Good Interested Messeage From Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.