Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? (1502 Views)

Tolani: Ekiti Boy Generates Electricity From 2 Stones To Power His Home / Power Generator Betting Software / Is It Advisable To Have A Telecommunication "Mast" Close To A House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by obembet(f): 8:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
Some Nigerians have resorted to using cooking gas to power their generators as an alternative source of power alleging that a 2kg cooking gas powers for 12 hours.

But I believe gas cylinder shouldn't be that close to a generator not to talk of using it to power generator. I believe it's Super risky.

Though according to our own Nairalander CEO seun osewa he wrote

Converting petrol generators so they can run on cooking gas looks like a good solution for lower income families which can't afford solar systems. Assuming it's as cost-efficient as they say.

Now I want to ask my smart and intelligent Nairalanders, what's your view about this?

Is it advisable to switch to gas instead of petrol?

By Obembet

Nlfpmod
Seun
mynd44
Lalasticlala

Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by advanceDNA: 9:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Una dey put burner ontop cylinder light fire directly untop ...still put pot untop, cook beans and rice for 1hr....

..... e reach make we pass hose a meter away from cylinder .......una start to dey form Albert Einstein....... yínmú

11 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by internationalman(m): 9:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
Cooking gas price wey don come down small now una wan make them increase am again..

It looks like a ticking time bomb to me though. But if this is real, at least a 50ft hose pipe should be used so as to get the gas cylinder as far away from the generator as possible.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by obembet(f): 8:31am On Jun 13, 2023
Nlfpmod
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by obembet(f): 12:55pm On Jun 13, 2023
Nlfpmod
Seun
mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by Robnectar(m): 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2023
internationalman:
Cooking gas price wey don come down small now una wan make them increase am again..

It looks like a ticking time bomb to me though. But if this is real, at least a 50ft hose pipe should be used so as to get the gas cylinder as far away from the generator as possible.
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by jospepper(m): 3:07pm On Jun 13, 2023
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by kernniejay(m): 6:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
advanceDNA:
Una dey put burner ontop cylinder light fire directly untop ...still put pot untop, cook beans and rice for 1hr....

..... e reach make we pass hose a meter away from cylinder .......una start to dey form Albert Einstein....... yínmú

Cylinders are supposed to be placed outside the kitchen away from the gas cooker for safety. Those gas cylinders with burners on top are camp gas that is not supposed to be used indoor, but in Nigeria who cares? Anything goes.
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by kernniejay(m): 6:12pm On Jun 21, 2023
obembet:
Some Nigerians have resorted to using cooking gas to power their generators as an alternative source of power alleging that a 2kg cooking gas powers for 12 hours.

But I believe gas cylinder shouldn't be that close to a generator not to talk of using it to power generator. I believe it's Super risky.
Using cooking gas to power a gasoline (petroleum) generator is not just risky but also deadly! No manufacturer of those generator will ever specify that gas can be used as alternative fuel. But in Nigeria, we know better and we are smarter than the manufacturers, there is nothing we don't by pass or take for granted and we are fond of re-designing machines and equipment to suit our madness here.
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by advanceDNA: 6:33pm On Jun 21, 2023
kernniejay:

Cylinders are supposed to be placed outside the kitchen away from the gas cooker for safety. Those gas cylinders with burners on top are camp gas that is not supposed to be used indoor, but in Nigeria who cares? Anything goes.

Oga...u shaa like to yab ur country...
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by DItalianNija: 8:28am On Jun 23, 2023
I do construct n fix it, dat is what am using at home and workshop. It risk is less compare to dat of fuel generator. Is d same as using cooking gas in d kitchen. WhatsApp me on 08060715280
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by funken: 1:25pm On Jun 23, 2023
Now this is very misleading. Gas can be safely used to power generators. What do you think they use to power the generators on oil rigs and oil flowstations? GAS!!!
The only thing is it has to be done safely. AND 2kg cannot power a gen for 12hrs. That is very false. I powered my 2.5kva gen with 12.5kg for about 20hrs. Take note that i had various loads on it at different times.

kernniejay:

Using cooking gas to power a gasoline (petroleum) generator is not just risky but also deadly! No manufacturer of those generator will ever specify that gas can be used as alternative fuel. But in Nigeria, we know better and we are smarter than the manufacturers, there is nothing we don't by pass or take for granted and we are fond of re-designing machines and equipment to suit our madness here.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by kernniejay(m): 1:59pm On Jun 23, 2023
funken:
Now this is very misleading. Gas can be safely used to power generators. What do you think they use to power the generators on oil rigs and oil flowstations? GAS!!!
The only thing is it has to be done safely. AND 2kg cannot power a gen for 12hrs. That is very false. I powered my 2.5kva gen with 12.5kg for about 20hrs. Take note that i had various loads on it at different times.

Congratulations.
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by jmoore(m): 3:41pm On Jun 24, 2023
funken:

How many liters of petrol could have done same job for 20 hours?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by Seun(m): 1:37am On Jul 11, 2023
jmoore:

How many liters of petrol could have done same job for 20 hours?
Who know?
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by seyicodes(m): 8:19am On Jul 12, 2023
Seun:
Who know?
Good morning Sir.. please hoe do I reach you sir.
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by timidapsin(m): 9:52am On Jul 12, 2023
seyicodes:
Good morning Sir.. please hoe do I reach you sir.
you already reached him
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by Ajibade123(m): 8:00pm On Jul 12, 2023
kernniejay:

Don't just speculate give reasons why it is like that
Even in advanced countries experimentations produces theory
Re: Is It Advisable To Use Cooking Gas To Power Generator? by Jaiiis(m): 3:07am On Oct 09, 2023
funken:

Please did you have an air conditioner as one of the load at any point in time?

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Apple Iphone 4 3gs 32gb Factory Unlocked To All Networks For #60,000 / Ten Unusual Shapes For Mobile Phones (photos) / What Earth Will Look Like Millions Of Years After Humans Are Gone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.