Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,755 members, 7,827,796 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Story: Flip - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Flip (180 Views)

Flip / A Teen Or Eighteen? (the First Flip) / Flip Ebook Portal: Seeking Authors And Publishers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Story: Flip by Littlerine(f): 10:09am On Jun 14, 2023
Hi Nairalandlers.

I am looking forward to posting a story I am currently working on 😁. Although I have been a guest for over seven years whilst enjoying the breathtaking stories of some amazing Nairalandlers, I have decided to also join the train of writers as a baby writer.

This is my first work, so feel free to correct me with love you know, it's really really really important 😉.

Title: Flip

Summary: This is a tale detailing a one-year exciting, challenging and life changing journey of a young woman. It is a story that depicts her struggles, imperfections and growth as she encountered different people and events.
As you flip the pages, you would understand how her life was flipping through everyday....

Warning! Warning!! Warning!!!
Do not PLAGIARIZE this piece.

Part 1......On your mark!

Chapter 1.…....The D-Day

It was the last day of camp with the weather quite unbearable that morning which left me wondering why the weather would choose to frown on mankind on important days. Standing with my back resting on one of the poles of the football goalpost which also served as the parade ground with my black big sized bag sitting on the ground beside my right foot, I watched the dramatic moments unfolding before me. For it has been destined that on this day; lovers will love no more, toasters would toast no more, admirers would admire no more and foes would hate no more. Everyone was indeed caught up in the moments except me of course because I was fortunate not to be caught in the web of ship. While some hugged and laughed, others struggled to say their goodbyes with tears falling off their eyes like droplets of water. What a bitter-sweet ending! I have always dreamed of today because there would be many 'no mores' like; waking up at odd hours, bathing with water as cold as ice, wearing one color of clothes, eating food prepared at our 'five star restaurant' and others yet to be mentioned. A group of three girls standing beside me seem to be in the same train of thought as I.

'Thank God it's finally over. I would sleep for hours when I get back home' the tallest girl amongst them chirped. 'See how thin I've become just within three weeks? Can you imagine? 'She was pointing out her butt, wrist and hips to her other friends.

'Why won't it be so?' Another responded 'Can you call what we've been eating 'food'? Colored water as tea, tasteless stew and soup . I was even wondering if the so called chefs cook at all in their homes. And the food sellers in the Mami market are something else' another chipped in.

'I will really miss you my friends' resumed the first speaker her voice laden with emotions.

'What a friendship! I thought
'Emily!', a familiar voice called out to me from a distance drawing my attention from their conversation and that is none other than the only friend I made in camp, actually she made me her friend.
An averaged height chubby girl with a toothy smile always plastered on her face. Aisha is her name. We first met at the registration stand and the rest was history.

Hey! Aisha. What's happening?' I responded moving towards her direction in a slow pace as she was just a few centimeters away from me already.

'Some people were posted to good places; that tall skinny guy over there was posted to a ministry in Awka' she said pointing to a particular guy who was raising his hands to heaven in a show of gratitude. 'He's quite lucky' she continued glancing towards his direction again. I knew she was feeling anxious already and so was I. I believe everyone at that point in time under same location as we were not left out. Just like I mentioned earlier, it was the D-Day and D-Days always come with surprises.
I looked around to see if I could set my eyes on any of my platoon members to be sure I have not been left behind. Just a few meters away, I could see short beautiful Kaka and her friend; the gap-toothed Fina standing in the volleyball court which is directly opposite the football field together with some of my platoon members whose names I can't confidently remember. I can really beat my chest to the fact that we're going to be the last group of people to collect their letters since we had always been gifted with the ever depressing last positions in almost all our presentations. I always wondered how I found my way into such 'prestigious' platoon although I seem like a guest. I wouldn't say we don't have amazing and talented people but I would just say victory decided to desert us right from the day of Adam.

'Don't worry, ours will turn out well' I tried to assure her although I doubted my words.

'I pray so, if I am not posted to a better place I would just go back to Osun state', she responded weakly. The Aisha I know was a vibrant person unlike me but today's event seems to be getting a toll on her already even though we are yet to know our fate.

'Emily, you don't need to bother yourself, yours will be super good just like that guy' . She had said this because she felt I had a better chance since I was a brainy engineer.
'But you never can tell' was all I could say. I didn't want to feel too excited about it.

'Platoon 7 gather over here for your letter 'came the sharp call from the ever jovial Mr. Tony the platoon master of 7 who was standing few meters away from us.

'Finally' Aisha muttered already leaving for her letter

'What about your bag?' Searching with my eyes for her bag, I just realized she wasn't with it the whole time

'I kept it inside the mosque, it will be safe there' came the high-pitched reply.

In less than few minutes, she would know her fate. And while I looked at others who seem to be smiling, some almost in tears with their head bowed. At last the call came just as I had predicted earlier, I left my belongings as I dragged my feet towards my platoon members. Now is the time! I tried to still my trembling hands and my racing heart, I have never been so nervous like this all my life even when I was about writing my final exams or checking my SSCE results, but they choose to rather disobey me. So there I stood waiting to answer present to the roll call. 1205, 1215 ..................1305. Present! Came the reply. I could barely recognize my own voice. I stretched out my sweaty hands to collect the letter. And I stole away to a quiet corner to see my fate.

Engaging question
How was your D-Day like?

To be continued...........

Chapter 2..........Holy shit! What the hell!

I never knew life would be so unfair to me. At this point, I likened my life to a person playing the popular Ludo game. The player don't get to choose the number that the die would display, it is at the mercy of the die to make the player smile or continue keeping a frown on his face.
I was at the state where you become confused on what to do and I mean when options like shouting your lungs out, rolling on the ground forgetting you're an adult, or pulling out the nicely fixed weavon off your pretty little head or continuously staring at some paper in your hands with tears enough to flood the entire country falling off your big eye balls or just doing anything, just anything popping up into your head.
Anf all that was imprinted on that in my hands was 1001% opposite to my dream since the day I arrived camp. Who get an Engineer, not just an Engineer but a brainy Engineer posted to a community school by the way? I believe you can understand my rage. They chosed to abuse my honorable self, my academic achievement and my emotions, shouldn't they be sued for traumatizing me? I will never forgive NYSC!
I quietly walked over to my initial position with my shoulders hanging low, it was time to leave. A fair balded man who seem to be in his sixties walked up to me with a smile on his face not minding the scowl on my face asked to see my letter which I grudgingly gave him. 'Your place is good' he said 'You won't be crossing the river like some parts'. Did he just said something about crossing the river! OMG! He smiled again revealing some sets of not too white teeth to make me feel better but I don't think anything would make me feel better from that day onward. There were many available buses from each local government to convey us to our respective destination. I looked around to see a big white old bus with a banner inscription 'Anol East' placed in front of it. Lucky I guess, I won't have to drag my belongings with me for a long time since it was just a ten seconds walk away from me. A young fair skinned man who I later found out to be the CLO helped me arranged my belongings inside the bus. I met other people like me with sullen faces already seated waiting for others to join.
'Hey!' A not so familiar voice called out from behind accompanied with a tap on my shoulder. I turned slowly to see who has chosen this moment to add to my words. Oh! It was an hostel mate whose bed was just ten centimeters away from mine.
'Hi! Faith We meet again'
'Yes' she responded
'Where are you posted to?' I was curious to know all of a sudden.
'Community secondary School Nelo' came the reply
'Are you been serious? Same with me'. I exclaimed my eyes widely opened in the turn of event.
'This is a really wonderful coincidence, imagine us been hostel mates, corner mates and eventually ending up in the same place of posting' her voice sounding thrilled at the moment.
'Thank God I won't be going there alone' I muttered
After asking about her friends who she said they all relocated to their respective states, I returned to my initial state. I was comforted with the fact that someone who I have know from camp was also posted to same place, but that doesn't change the fact that NYSC dealt me a big blow.
The journey took off thirty minutes later leaving a nostalgic feeling inside of me. It was an hour long journey to the local government Secretariat. The Local government inspector had a short talk with us and we moved on with our documentation.
CLOs from different schools came with cars to convey those posted to their establishment but ours was the other side of the coin. Our CLO a short dark young man with the look of a village headmaster informed us that the school did not in any way made arrangement for our transportation. Hmm! That's a red flag already certainly not a green one.
'But I think we can go with the help of my motorcycle , by the way, I am Dennis' he continued. At that moment, the weather decided not to be in its best behavior. The sky that was smiling some minutes ago has suddenly become dark but what can we do? Plopping ourselves behind him, we zoomed off silently praying that the weather would be gracious to us. But it chosed not to. Halfway through the journey, came the showers of blessing of course I mean showers of rain. We took shelter in a military checkpoint until the rain stopped. It was a thirty minutes journey to the school which was situated at the outskirt of the village after going through some bushy path.
And what the hell is this?

Engaging question
How do you react to situations that doesn't seem to go the way you want?

To be continued.................
Kindly feel free to comment on my piece

New update!

Chapter 3.......... Each her own story

I stared at the robust looking young lady who has been shaking her legs and sighing continuously for the past twenty-five minutes sinced I sat outside of the house. Sitting on a plastic chair placed at the entrance to the house with a wrapper wound round her chest, she sat like a bride who has been ditched on the altar by her groom.

'It will not be well with NYSC!' She cursed as she wiped her face for the tenth time with her palm

'It will be Okay, Mercy.' Her consolers; a team of two young ladies sitting on a bench beside their object of concern chorused together

'We were once in your shoes and look at us today' The shorter among the two continued as she yawn showing she was already tired from the whole consoling business.

'It's just a matter of time' The other seconded. Do you remember when Ayo first arrived here last year? She turned to the shorter lady for affirmation

'Yes, I do. Such a dramatic day it was' The shorter lady sighed.

'Believe me Mercy, all of these will soon become memories'

A short chubby young lady on a short red dress with slightly bowed legs ran out of the house laughing at what I don't know. She stopped when her eyes strayed toward us.

'Mama, can you please tell Favour to stop?'

The newcomer positioned herself between the two ladies sitting on the bench as she placed her right hand affectionately on the shoulder of the shorter lady.

'She's your partner in crime, so do the telling yourself' 'Mama' responded her rolling her eyes

Mama? Who calls an age mate such name? Maybe Mama is her given name or a nickname. But who would find such name appealing? Would she then be "Mama Peter? Or maybe 'Mama Abraham'? Absurd isn't it?

'Ayo! Please allow me to breathe' 'Mama' yelled bringing me out of my train of thought. She can be seen forcefully taking the other girls hand off her shoulder.

'Ah! Ayo! Allow Mama to rest, for heaven's sake'. The other lady helped in disengaging Ayo from Mama whilst sitting between the two ladies.

In the midst of the whole drama before me, I seem to have forgotten about my own dilemma for the moment as I rested my back on the plactic chair which was a meter away from them

Turning her attention to Mercy who has been silent all the while, Ayo decided to converse with her.

'So, how are you doing? Feeling better now?' Her gaze firmly fixed on the silent girl
The two ladies who have been consoling Mercy excused themselves

'I can't say yet' came the gloom reply

'Mine was funny though, care to hear?' She replied

Wanting to hear everything clearly, I had to join them. I can tell Ayo was more of a talker than the other two ladies.

'I was posted to a school in Igba, I think same place as you' she gestured towards Mercy. 'His Majesty Academy, but believe me nothing was majestic about it'. She let out a small laugh revealing a pair of dimples on both cheeks and a perfectly arranged set of teeth.

'It was an old building with just four classrooms. And do know how many teachers the school has?'

She looked at her eager listeners keenly. I don't know if she was expecting an answer from us.

'Three! Just three?' She burst out laughing. Such a dramatic person, I observed. Mercy who has been trying to surpress the smile forming on the corners of her mouth decided to give up.

'The Proprietor, his wife and a middle aged woman. And maybe myself if I had agreed to work with them. I had to run for my life' She chuckled softly. Should I tell you the funny part of the whole thing?'

'Yes' We both chorused

'It was a Primary School! Can you imagine that? A primary school with only three teachers and I would be expected to communicate with them in their dialect for better comprehension. How do you think I would survive that missile, so I have to dodge it.'

I could really imagine it. Two or more classes would be assigned to her, she would be expected to teach a dozen subjects twice a day with little or no pay all because we decided to serve our fatherland.

I took that moment to survey my new surrounding which I believe will be for the next few weeks. A fenced duplex compound with a brown new gate, with its ground floored with gravel and cement. It was quite appealing.

'You seem quiet. Real quiet 'Ayo noted as she searched my face making me wondering what she was hoping to find. Moreover, that was an observation I no longer find strange.

'I don't even know your name' she said becoming interested in me suddenly

'Emily' came the cold reply

'Emily. A pretty name you've got. What does it mean actually?

'Hmm, it actually has several meanings. Laborious, eager, rival, persuasive and it is of a Latin origin.'

'What a name! But don't you think 'rival' seem uncomfortable?

'The bearer can choose to be any of them'. I replied

'Which of them are you?' She enquired

As time goes by, you will get to know for yourself. I replied with a small smile

'Don't worry. Everything will be okay'. She reassured Mercy once again with a smile just as the other two ladies had earlier done.

'See you later. I've got somethings to do'. She strode into the building with a careless abandon.

'Sorry about the whole NYSC posting, it is quite unfortunate that some of us were unlucky'. I was trying get into a conversation with the only person left with me

'So, how was the place like?'

She stood up to retie her wrapper probably gearing up for her own tale.
'Do you believe I could count the houses in that place, everywhere was just surrounded by bushes' she started, her big eyes becoming brighter indicating she was excited about the discussion. 'I, Mercy go to that village? God forbid'. She made gestures with her hands emphasising her indignation. The accommodation I was offered was unbearable.

'I think you're luckier. I was offered zero accomodation'

'What about electricity?'

'There is'

'Lucky you'

'Water?'

'The school made provision for that '

'You've got everything sis'

She kept quiet for a while staring intently at me as though she was trying to see if truly I was really the unlucky person. Maybe she was wondering why I wasn't crying non-stop if all I had said was actually true.

'I must do something about it. God will punish all my so-called friends in camp. Do you believe the both of them were posted to a radio station in the state capital?'

'Really?'

'They have been doing some underground work while in camp leaving me oblivious to their propaganda'.

'Why would they do that to you? Did you steal their boyfriends?' I asked jokingly

'I wished I really did, it would have been way better' She said with a smile

At that very moment I remembered Aisha. She had recounted her ordeal to me that same day we departed from camp. She was quite lucky to be posted to a renowned government-owned school with good facilities. Each to her story.

Engaging question
Do you believe in Luck?

Feel free to comment

(1) (Reply)

Creative Writing / SYNW Explains The Reasons Behind Celebrating Posthumous Birthdays Of Departed Ni / Podcast Script Writer Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.