Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? (2739 Views)

New Naira Policy To Set Up Frustrate Tinubu – Akeredolu / FG Using CBN Naira Policy To Go After Criminals In Politics – Ezekwesili / UK Pulls Down IPOB Asylum Policy, To Review It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by MadeINchenzen2: 7:33pm On Jun 14, 2023
When a nation's currency is free to float, supply and demand on the open market, rather than the government or a fixed exchange rate system, decide how much it will cost to buy and sell. The consequences of this include various things:

1. Volatility: The exchange rate can fluctuate quickly, sometimes even daily, as a result of market forces that determine it. It may be challenging for firms to plan and make investments due to this volatility's potential to breed uncertainty.

2. Competitiveness: A country's competitiveness may be impacted by a freely floating currency. A strong currency may make exports more expensive, which could reduce demand for the nation's products and services on the international market. A lower currency value, on the other hand, can increase export appeal and provide businesses a competitive edge.

3. Inflation: A country's inflation rate can be considerably impacted by the value of its currency. Increased import costs might result from currency depreciation, which will raise inflation. A strong currency might also result in lower inflation since imports are less expensive.

4. Interest Rates: The value of a currency can affect the interest rates in a nation. Investor desire for higher interest rates in a sinking currency may increase borrowing costs.

Overall, a freely floating currency can have advantages including increased monetary policy flexibility and the ability to adapt to external shocks, but it also needs to be carefully managed to reduce any risks and uncertainties.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) directed commercial banks to sell forex freely at market-determined prices on Wednesday.

This means that Nigeria has relaxed its grip on the naira, allowing it to float. There were differing opinions on whether the naira should be floated by the government.

When the International Monetary Fund (IMF) originally proposed the concept to Nigeria in 2022, many financial experts argued that it would be detrimental.

To be clear, the naira's free float means that the exchange rate is no longer determined by the government or a monetary institution such as the CBN.

It also implies that the exchange rate at any given point in time is controlled by the interaction of market forces of supply and demand for foreign exchange.

Simply expressed, the rate at which the naira is exchanged for any foreign currency is determined by the agreed-upon price between the buyer and seller. This would also be free of any CBN involvement in the form of regulations or policy.

When the plan was first proposed in 2022, experts warned that floating the naira would eventually lead to the currency's total collapse.

The move would also mean that the naira's value against all other currencies would continue to fall, eventually becoming worthless and causing a currency crisis in Nigeria.

They also predicted that it would have a detrimental impact on Nigeria's manufacturing and other exchange-rate-dependent industries, resulting in a negative supply shock.

A supply shock is an unanticipated incident that alters the supply of a product or commodity, resulting in a sharp price change.

A negative supply shock reduces output, which causes prices to rise at an alarming rate.

https://www.regencyreporters.com.ng/2023/06/what-will-be-impact-of-cbn-free.html

Mynd44 Nlfpmod

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by helinues: 7:35pm On Jun 14, 2023
That will strengthen Naira more amongst other currency.

African countries are even considering acceptable note across Africa

4 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by KingsCity: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2023
As is today , the value of the Naira is likely to crash further to N1000 to a Dollar and will be mainly due to the speculative activities of black marketers

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by jmoore(m): 7:43pm On Jun 14, 2023
Any one that is intelligent will tell you that FOREX is scarce.
Nigeria doesn't have enough forex to sustain the economy.
Floating the naira will still not have any postive impact.

3 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Parachoko: 7:47pm On Jun 14, 2023
jmoore:

Is there ever a time you reach Aboki place, and Aboki tell you say $$$ no dey?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Temidayo9(m): 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2023
KingsCity:
As is today , the value of the Naira is likely to crash further to N1000 to a Dollar and will be mainly due to the speculative activities of black markers
Nothing like black market again, in fact every bank is now a black market

4 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Didijiji: 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2023
helinues:

African countries are even considering acceptable note across Africa
olodo

3 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by helinues: 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2023
KingsCity:
As is today , the value of the Naira is likely to crash further to N1000 to a Dollar and will be mainly due to the speculative activities of black markers

Do you understand the meaning of floating of currency sha?

When those Aboki wey dey sell dollar for black market go be the first people to feel this

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by nedu666: 7:52pm On Jun 14, 2023
Parachoko:

Where does aboki get his dollars from
Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Parachoko: 7:55pm On Jun 14, 2023
nedu666:

Where does aboki get his dollars from
You're quoting the wrong person

I do not know what you're talking about

2 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by sainsburry: 8:02pm On Jun 14, 2023
KingsCity:

Nop Dear, Banks And CBN Will Be Able To Meet The Demand Side So There Is No Need To Patronise Black Market Unless Black Market Are Ready To Match The Prevailing Rate i.e If I Need To Pay My School Of $12,500 And My Bank Is Able To Sell For Me @ 755 Why Patronisr Black Market At 1,000

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by DeLaRue: 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2023
helinues:

Hmm, that will depend on whether the government can provide enough dollars to meet demand.

Any dollar scarcity will quickly push dollars close to or above N900.

If the scarcity is prolonged, N1000 to a dollar will become a new reality.

To the Op, the effect of a free float is that the value of the naira will go up or down more freely.

One immediate impact is that prices of some imported goods will increase.

If I tell you I am not nervous about the fate of the naira over the next few weeks and months, I would be lying.

That is not to say the policy is wrong.

My nervousness comes from the understanding that a totally free-flowing currency can take a catastrophic turn, particularly for a low exporting country like Nigeria.

I am surely hoping for the best.

3 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Ofunaofu: 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2023
sainsburry:

Nop Dear, Banks And CBN Will Be Able To Meet The Demand Side So There Is No Need To Patronise Black Market Unless Black Market Are Ready To Match The Prevailing Rate i.e If I Need To Pay My School Of $12,500 And My Bank Is Able To Sell For Me @ 755 Why Patronisr Black Market At 1,000

The problem here is the banks ability to match your demand
Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by jmoore(m): 8:05pm On Jun 14, 2023
Parachoko:
Is Aboki the main supplier of us dollars?

That many banks placed restrictions on their dollar debit cards should give you a hint.

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by helinues: 8:06pm On Jun 14, 2023
DeLaRue:

Hmm, that will depend on whether the government can provide enough dollars to meet demand.

Any dollar scarcity will quickly push dollars close to or above N900.

If the scarcity is prolonged, N1000 to a dollar will become a new reality.

To the Op, the effect of a free float is that the value of the naira will go up or down more freely.

It could also mean that prices of some imported goods will increase.

What's the meaning of dollar scarcity if not hoarding. Dollar is available any day any time but you see those who are behind stock exchange and the bankers are the ones who always do the tricks of dollar scarcity

2 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by spiritedtete: 8:07pm On Jun 14, 2023
When aboki buys all the bank dollars finish and bank said they have no usd again... this might make things get worse. I hope their are policies in place to check this. However it is a very good idea to allow market determine the Naira that is if there are no saboteurs

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by LikeAking: 8:15pm On Jun 14, 2023
jmoore:

We have excess dollars in Nigeria.. A group are hoarding it cos of the CBN polices.

This will put an end to it, only if done properly.

4 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by DeLaRue: 8:20pm On Jun 14, 2023
helinues:

What's the meaning of dollar scarcity if not hoarding. Dollar is available any day any time but you see those who are behind stock exchange and the bankers are the ones who always do the tricks of dollar scarcity

You could be right, but your statement is largely irrelevant.

The forex market will not be interested in who or what is causing the scarcity. Whether it is cabals, witches, hoarders etc it will not matter.

All the market needs is the appearance of scarcity, buyers will attack the naira ruthlessly by scrambling to buy more dollars, and I tell ya, that will not end well for the value of the naira.

I can only assume that the President has Intel that there will be enough dollars at least until Dangote refinery comes fully on board.

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Jackossky(m): 8:23pm On Jun 14, 2023
From the little I have learnt while in school, most economies have a managed exchange rate regime. Fixed and floating exchange rate are two extremes and even America, manages their exchange rate. It's called dirty floating.

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by DeLaRue: 8:28pm On Jun 14, 2023
Jackossky:
From the little I have learnt while in school, most economies have a managed exchange rate regime. Fixed and floating exchange rate are two extremes and even America, manages their exchange rate. It's called dirty floating.

You are correct.

I suspect the government will not allow the naira completely free float.

If the government allows it, the naira will be destroyed within 3 months.

Sharks are lurking waiting for which currency to attack. The naira will become a prime target if it is allowed 100% free float.

I suspect the government will still keep an eye on the value of naira vs dollars, and if it is falling too much, they will push out more dollars in order to support th naira.

A few things need to align for Nigeria in the coming weeks and months for the policy not to cause extreme pain.

People should be reminded that the Egyptian pounds lost 50% of its value last year alone. Egypt is a large economy like Nigeria.

Things can happen to a currency o.

Let's hope for the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by franchasofficia: 8:33pm On Jun 14, 2023
sainsburry:

Good analysis, now guess where the problem is?

CBN doesn't have enough dollar to meet Nigerians' usd demands, remember we are import dependent country.

Nigeria doesn't earn enough FX through increased export to meet up with the dollar demand of Nigerians, which means many Nigerians will be going to Aboki for dollar and Aboki will be determining the rate based on demand of dollar for the day.

This dollar floating policy is good but it would have been better done after putting certain things in place to ensure CBN earns or have enough dollar to supply to all banks to sell to Nigerians.

One of those things is putting our local refineries in working condition and leasing them out to private entities to run for Nigeria to reduce importation of petrol which gulps most of our dollar.

2 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Parachoko: 8:55pm On Jun 14, 2023
jmoore:

Is Aboki the main supplier of us dollars?

That many banks placed restrictions on their dollar debit cards should give you a hint.

jmoore:

Is there ever a time you tell Aboki you wan buy dollar and you no get am?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by savcy(m): 8:56pm On Jun 14, 2023
The naira eased at N668-$1at the I&E window today. I don't anticipate a drastic loss in value of the naira at all, and among many reasons, it's the fact that people don't seem to understand that no one actually knows the true value of the naira. Yemi Osinbajo mentioned once that, if export volume determined strength of currency, why didn't the naira gain value when oil hit north of $95/b. Several unconventional factors determine the value of the naira with the BDCs being the principal element in the intricate structure that's the Nigerian FX market. Artificial scarcity is another culprit. I think the market would stabilize, and if a rapid loss in value ensues, the government knows precisely what to do. All in all, as scary as it may seem, the policy is a step in the right direction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Rexymania(m): 9:59pm On Jun 14, 2023
I need to sleep and come back to read this... I no understand anything

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by Parachoko: 10:06pm On Jun 14, 2023
helinues:

Do you understand the meaning of floating of currency sha?

When those Aboki wey dey sell dollar for black market go be the first people to feel this
Leave the Obidunze Orchin

On the long run, Aboki price fit cheap pass Bank price sef because nah them and the financial institutions go dey compete on equal level now, the CBN no handicap the Banks again.

The Banks will run a lot of Aboki out of business

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by sholay4star: 11:09pm On Jun 14, 2023
The question here is what are we exporting?
Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by sapele914(m): 11:32pm On Jun 14, 2023
Parachoko:
Let him go to Kano International Airport to meet Ganduje’s forex mallam.
Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by sapele914(m): 11:34pm On Jun 14, 2023
sholay4star:
The question here is what are we exporting?
Your question should be, what am I doing to earn foreign exchange?
Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by yemmit90: 12:44am On Jun 15, 2023
Dollars are aways available in abundance, commercial banks and CBN are the ones selling to black market.

Go to any bank around Queen cinema Ibadan, you will see those Alhaji siting inside bank buying and selling forex at Black market rate. If not for their mode of dressing, you will think they are bank staffs because they enter different sections/offices at will.

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by yemmit90: 12:53am On Jun 15, 2023
savcy:
The naira eased at N668-$1at the I&E window today. I don't anticipate a drastic loss in value of the naira at all, and among many reasons, it's the fact that people don't seem to understand that no one actually knows the true value of the naira. Yemi Osinbajo mentioned once that, if export volume determined strength of currency, why didn't the naira gain value when oil hit north of $95/b. Several unconventional factors determine the value of the naira with the BDCs being the principal element in the intricate structure that's the Nigerian FX market. Artificial scarcity is another culprit. I think the market would stabilize, and if a rapid loss in value ensues, the government knows precisely what to do. All in all, as scary as it may seem, the policy is a step in the right direction.

Exactly, I don't see much problem about this policy considering the fact that the free falls of Naira in recent time were mostly artificial. Besides, genuine manufacturers and importers already got used to black markets rate of 700+.

1 Like

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by michlins(m): 3:30am On Jun 15, 2023
sainsburry:

the problem is, can you bank be able to have enough supply of forex to meet your forex needs?

Most policies in Nigeria are not based on our unique position as a nation but rather brash approach.

When a previous government uses a particular policy and it doesn't work, the preceding administration will go directly opposite without first finding out what made the policy not to work.

As a consumer nation, our demand for forex is sky-high and it is our greatest undoing.

We don't have stable power,we don't have functional refineries,we don't have steel manufacturing plants,we don't have capacity to produce our own food but we're floating our currency and allowing market forces to determine the rates.

What this will mean is that in the next one year,trades will be calculated in dollars and our local currency will be next to nothing.

Do not expect Nigeria people not to take advantage of the situation. It's purely business and as humans,we will take maximum advantage

3 Likes

Re: What Will Be The Impact Of CBN Free-floating Naira Policy To The Economy? by sholay4star: 9:49am On Jun 15, 2023
sapele914:
Your question should be, what am I doing to earn foreign exchange?

I'm into agriculture, I export agricultural product even though my product is needed here too and my survival is not resting of fx

(1) (2) (Reply)

Second Niger Bridge Development (beautifully Drone Night Shot) / Tinubu Will Tackle Out-Of-School Children Problem - Education Minister, Mamman / Minimum Wage To Be Pegged At 155k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.