Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,814 members, 7,824,382 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

The God Delusion - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The God Delusion (5384 Views)

How To Avoid God Confusion Or God Delusion (as A Christian) / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / The Dawkins Delusion: A Response To The God Delusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 3:57pm On Oct 03, 2011
@Deep Sight
of course your experience is really meaningful for you and it did happen. And you felt it and it was true. And only you truly knows. You know why, because you are God. and you are Jesus.

@deep sight
what about your inaccurate dreams, kindly also post those.
Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 03, 2011
All in my head? I don't know about that.
I was in Dar es Salam for a Managed Servces negotiation two weeks ago.
One night I woke up from a dream. In the dream a friend of mine who I had not seen or heard from for 16 years was sitting beside me. He simply said, Long, time, how have you been, we should hook up soon.
I last saw or thought of this fellow when we last saw back in secondary school. So I never think of him. He is entirely outside my worldview.
I got up because it was close to morning and I went online on my laptop.
The first message that fell into my mailbox was from that Friend I had just seen in the dream. It simply said, Long time, how hove you been, we should hook up soon.
I got back to Lagos and my brothers told me that he had visited my house that very day.
I know very well that it is not all in my head because since I was a child there is nothing significant that happens around me which I do not see in a dream some days or weeks in advance

@Deepsight.
This happened in 2010 right?
You said you last saw the guy 16 years ago and didn't have any contact whatsoever with him.  If you haven't really had any contact with him in 16 years, that means you gave him your email address in 1994? That means you had an email address in high school in the early nineties or someone just decided to give him your email and where you live. If your story is real lipsrsealed you have some strange people around you that will just give up your email and home address without asking you! Or the story is just the product of the infinite mind at work.
Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 03, 2011
noetic16:

^^^ grin grin grin

So you see, your belief is from knowledge

the same type of knowledge that keeps the bible god alive.
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 4:41pm On Oct 03, 2011
Re: The God Delusion by globexl: 5:15pm On Oct 03, 2011
zataxs:

[img]http://freethoughtkampala.files./2011/09/sophisticatedreligion.jpg[/img]
OMG.
This is hilarious.
You see. There are not right or wrongs.
Its all a matter of " VIEWPOINT"
Catholics derided us for paying homage tothe spirits of our ancestors, but they turn around to worship the graveyards,bones and relics of dead saints.
Hilarious.
Re: The God Delusion by noetic16(m): 5:40pm On Oct 03, 2011
jayriginal:

I do not know of any such thing. Therefore, I do not believe. My non belief has no effect on whether such a thing exists.
However, Mazaje has had a revelation details of which he gave here. As it is a subjective revelation, it is proof only for himself and not for others.

You cannot use the word BELIEF for a subject you are ignorant about . , . . . ,
Re: The God Delusion by mazaje(m): 5:44pm On Oct 03, 2011
zataxs:

[img]http://freethoughtkampala.files./2011/09/sophisticatedreligion.jpg[/img]

This picture is worth more than a thousand words. . . .
Re: The God Delusion by thehomer: 5:45pm On Oct 03, 2011
noetic16:

You miss the point completely.

No I don't as I'll show you below.

noetic16:

If I believe in Shiva or leprechauns, I would consider it a measure of competence to tell you the basis of my belief.

And to tell us something about the entities themselves.

noetic16:

IF I dont believe in Shiva or leprechauns, I would also consider it a measure of competence to tell you the basis of my disbelief.

Yes but this can only come about when we have discovered the entity being spoken about.

noetic16:

If however I have no idea as to who Shiva or leprechauns is, then I would neither believe nor disbelieve.

In which case, it would then be up to you to tell us about Shiva or leprechauns or your particular God. In order not to jump the gun, this is where we are on this particular discussion which is why currently, the burden of proof is more on you until you're able to tell us things about how you know this God and his other features.

noetic16:

By disbelieving in the plausibility of the material world being a product of super intelligence, you are postulating a presumably informed opinion. why are you not neutral? if you disbelieve in something, there must be cogent reasons for such.

Of course. I already said it is because I see no reason why I should think it is a product of a super intelligence especially when we consider that the super intelligence generally postulated are incoherent and the science doesn't seem to have a need for the introduction of this super-intelligence.

noetic16:

and u think that its just okay to say that FSM is ultimate? . . . . . .I am disappointed. . . . .this is a new low for u.

It seems to be okay for you religious people to simply declare that your particular God is the ultimate. I hope you're disappointed in yourself and your cohort.

noetic16:

I already answered your question. God is omnipotent, but He aint a robot. This implies that He has a mind of his own to do things according to His plans. Are u able to see the bigger picture? what if there is a better life awaiting the hospitalised person? what do u know of the supernatural?

Are you able to see the bigger picture rather than simply claiming you can? Well, do you know that there is a better life awaiting them? What is the supernatural?

noetic16:

and please stop evading my question ,  . . .if you dont walk from lagos to kano, does this mean you are disabled?
If God chooses not to heal a sick person, does this mean He is not omnipotent?

I'm not evading it. I've answered it already. You seem to ignore my response because you do not like it.
Yes it does if he also claims to love the sick person especially children with illnesses like malaria and cancer.

noetic16:

ridiculously LAME. stop making assertions you are ignorant of. The truth is you know next to nothing about God or the bible. Do some reading, get informed and then come back for a debate.

. . . . . okay

You're blustering again.
Sorry, but it appears that you're the one who knows nothing about your God. It seems you didn't even know that he was supposed to love all humans to the extent that I had to quote a familiar Bible verse to you. And you accuse me of being ignorant? Please pick up your Bible and read it or better yet, finish reading the book and get back to me when you think you've discovered better arguments.
Re: The God Delusion by DeepSight(m): 7:09pm On Oct 03, 2011
Martian:

All in my head? I don't know about that.
I was in Dar es Salam for a Managed Servces negotiation two weeks ago.
One night I woke up from a dream. In the dream a friend of mine who I had not seen or heard from for 16 years was sitting beside me. He simply said, Long, time, how have you been, we should hook up soon.
I last saw or thought of this fellow when we last saw back in secondary school. So I never think of him. He is entirely outside my worldview.
I got up because it was close to morning and I went online on my laptop.
The first message that fell into my mailbox was from that Friend I had just seen in the dream. It simply said, Long time, how hove you been, we should hook up soon.
I got back to Lagos and my brothers told me that he had visited my house that very day.
I know very well that it is not all in my head because since I was a child there is nothing significant that happens around me which I do not see in a dream some days or weeks in advance

@Deepsight.
This happened in 2010 right?
You said you last saw the guy 16 years ago and didn't have any contact whatsoever with him.  If you haven't really had any contact with him in 16 years, that means you gave him your email address in 1994? That means you had an email address in high school in the early nineties or someone just decided to give him your email and where you live. If your story is real lipsrsealed you have some strange people around you that will just give up your email and home address without asking you! Or the story is just the product of the infinite mind at work.

My dear, I will defend my logical arguments, but i will not defend my subjective personal experiences. They are personal to me, and i seek to convince no one of anything by sharing them. I only share to to express some of the reasons that i personally believe in a bigger reality.

Since you ask though, my family have lived in the current abode since 1990, and my friend very well knew my house from school days. Also, his email came into my facebook mail box.

Having said that, I really need to be clear that I am not seeking to convince you or anybody of anything by relating that experience. That experience is actually one of the most simple I have had, I have had many dreams in which i saw conversational sequences, only for such conversations to occur the next day in my presence, with suich precision that I am able to know from my dream the next thing to be said and by whom, and it happens just as I saw it. These are still minor instances. The really major ones are always about significant changes in my life or the life of people around me, or current affairs in world events.

I share this simply to express the fact that I cannot believe, in light of my personal experiences, that there isn't a bigger reality. I simply know otherwise, but as I said before, it is my personal experience and not a point for debate or argument to convince anybody. Everybody must arrive at his own conclusion as to the meaning and nature of this dream existence in which we subsist on our blue planet circling a red star. . . .
Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 03, 2011
I know you're not trying to convince anybody, i was just wondering. Anyway, there's a guy in scotland who claims he can do the same thing you do but when the cameras were present, he didn't exactly pass the test. Here you go, starting from the 2 minute mark, meet Chris Robinson, the scottish deepsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJA6uCMIKrQ&feature=related
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 9:32pm On Oct 03, 2011
@Martin the video is pretty lame, to be honest. Reminds me of the oracle of delphi
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2011
y dear, I will defend my logical arguments, but i will not defend my subjective personal experiences. They are personal to me, and i seek to convince no one of anything by sharing them. I only share to to express some of the reasons that i personally believe in a bigger reality.
<<
This sounds like the local witchdoctor that you spend sunday sermons criticizes. Anything significant is personal.  Let's be honest. You say it is personal because.
1. It is embarrassing
2. It is juvenile and plain silly
3. You are obviously making it up
4. You are not seeking to convince anyone because you cannot,  we will destroy your argument and exposure your fallacy with extreme ease.
5. Most importantly, it is all about you. You share personal experiences with God. Because you are God.
Christians, Muslims! Come on,  raise the content and standards of your arguments. Your letting your whole faith done,  come on guys.
>>
Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2011
zataxs:

@Martin the video is pretty lame, to be honest. Reminds me of the oracle of delphi

That's the point, it's bulls#it.
Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2011
Children of Satan still at it cheesy
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 9:50pm On Oct 03, 2011
@Martian 'true dat, history channel is quite disappointing sometimes.
@frosbel spawn of Satan? muhahahahahaha
Well said, Jesus would be so proud.
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 10:00pm On Oct 03, 2011
Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 03, 2011
zataxs:

Re: The God Delusion by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 03, 2011
mazaje:

This picture is worth more than a thousand words. . . .

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."- Matthew 7:6

"Dogs" signify people who spurn, oppose, and abuse that doctrine; people of special sourness and malignity of temper, who meet it like growling and quarrelsome curs, Philippians 3:2; 2 Peter 2:22; Revelation 22:15.

"Swine" denote those who would trample the precepts underfoot; people of impurity of life; those who are corrupt, polluted, profane, obscene, and sensual; those who would not know the value of the gospel, and who would tread it down as swine would pearls, 2 Peter 2:22; Proverbs 11:22.

The meaning of this proverb, then, is, do not offer your doctrine to those violent and abusive people who would growl and curse you; nor to those especially debased and profligate who would not perceive its value, would trample it down, and would abuse you. This verse furnishes a beautiful instance of what has been called the "introverted parallelism."
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2011
I think Hitchens has the best reply for you.

[flash=600,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nIRJVmZ4K8[/flash]
Re: The God Delusion by DeepSight(m): 12:58am On Oct 04, 2011
@ Martian. I have no idea of test scenarios and what i related is not something that i 'do', nobody approaches me asking me such and i certainly dont claim to be a seer or such. I simply related to you my personal experience with dreams. You dont have to believe it in the least, and i dont expect you to. You should only believe that which rhymes with your own mind.

@ Zartaxs, i am not sure that i have said anything to deserve your insults. I have my views about your views, and i do not insult you for your views. You are entirely within your rights to disbelieve that which i said, i have no quarrel with that. But if you believe that everyone who has these experiences with dreams is lying, that is up to you. I am aware that what i related is not in any way special or unique to me, but is experienced by many people.

I urge you however, not to make assumptions as you seem to have done regarding my worldview: i am not a religious person and i do not subscribe to any religion whatsoever.

Thanks.
Re: The God Delusion by zataxs: 5:21pm On Oct 04, 2011
@Deep Sight first I'd like to see where I have insulted you, you use such strong words.
All I am saying is that people hallucinate, you know that, I know that, it is a fact.
Every person has every right to give his or her experience undue importance, why, it is the ego, and nothing is more important than that. I don't deny you this right.
Many people can share the same hallucinations. Hiding behind numbers does not make things veritable.

And like I said, not being religious is a great step forward, I applaud you for that.
Re: The God Delusion by noetic16(m): 9:06pm On Mar 11, 2012
To be fair, Dawkins book has been relatively boring, hence I have been unable to finish it up.

Nonetheless, the arguments remain valid. There is insufficient evidence, logic or argument to dispute the notion that the material world which we live in could have kicked off without a designer who is super-intelligent. It is inconceivable that the world would have sprung up by chance.

Typical examples abound . . . cars, jets, ships, tv sets, buildings et all . . .these are intelligent designs that were conceived by more-intelligent beings (in this case man). Therefore, how can we then dismiss the fact that man, the planets, solar system, ecosystem, animals, air, oxygen gasses and many more could not have been created or conceived by a more intelligent being (this time God).

I remain baffled at the illogicality of the atheist argument.
Re: The God Delusion by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09am On Mar 17, 2012
The God Delusion debate (John Lennox vs Richard Dawkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU-YjNYbE7M
Re: The God Delusion by thehomer: 12:26pm On Jun 17, 2012
noetic16: To be fair, Dawkins book has been relatively boring, hence I have been unable to finish it up.

What a lame excuse. You set out to show that the book is simply full of wrong yet you abandon the task halfway? Isn't this laziness?

noetic16:
Nonetheless, the arguments remain valid. There is insufficient evidence, logic or argument to dispute the notion that the material world which we live in could have kicked off without a designer who is super-intelligent.

This is a shift of the burden of proof. You actually need to show that the world is due to a designer that is super intelligent rather than saying someone else should prove you wrong otherwise you're right.

noetic16:
It is inconceivable that the world would have sprung up by chance.

This is also fallacious to think that if you cannot conceive of something, it therefore couldn't have happened.

noetic16:
Typical examples abound . . . cars, jets, ships, tv sets, buildings et all . . .these are intelligent designs that were conceived by more-intelligent beings (in this case man). Therefore, how can we then dismiss the fact that man, the planets, solar system, ecosystem, animals, air, oxygen gasses and many more could not have been created or conceived by a more intelligent being (this time God).

The man made objects are poor examples because they differ significantly from the universe or the sun so you've simply presented a bad analogy.

noetic16:
I remain baffled at the illogicality of the atheist argument.

Of course you remain baffled but not due to the atheist argument being illogical, but due to your inability to comprehend what they're actually saying.
Re: The God Delusion by noetic16(m): 4:45pm On Jul 19, 2012
thehomer:

What a lame excuse. You set out to show that the book is simply full of wrong yet you abandon the task halfway? Isn't this laziness?

Quite idiotic.

There is nothing darwin mentioned that has not been mentioned previously by atheists and subsequently debunked. I actually regret buying the book cos I thought it was going to be sensational like a John Grisham novel. Darwin, just like you, is intellectually incapable of emprically, exhaustively and convincingly prove that Jehovah God does not exist.

This is a shift of the burden of proof. You actually need to show that the world is due to a designer that is super intelligent rather than saying someone else should prove you wrong otherwise you're right.

Very silly. Do electronic items have a manufacturer? how many gadgets (ipads, laptops, fridges) do not have a designer?

This is also fallacious to think that if you cannot conceive of something, it therefore couldn't have happened.
The issue here is your living in denial and lack of imagination.

The man made objects are poor examples because they differ significantly from the universe or the sun so you've simply presented a bad analogy.
grin You are not intelligent at all grin . How are these objects different from the universe? please explain . . .

Of course you remain baffled but not due to the atheist argument being illogical, but due to your inability to comprehend what they're actually saying.
You come across as not-educated
Re: The God Delusion by thehomer: 10:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
noetic16:

Quite idiotic.

There is nothing darwin mentioned that has not been mentioned previously by atheists and subsequently debunked. I actually regret buying the book cos I thought it was going to be sensational like a John Grisham novel. Darwin, just like you, is intellectually incapable of emprically, exhaustively and convincingly prove that Jehovah God does not exist.

What a demented response.
Who wrote The God Delusion? Darwin? Have you been drinking again? If you think you can debunk them, why don't you actually do that after reading the book rather than just shouting? Is your laziness so much that you cannot finish reading the book and you cannot think up rebuttals to the parts you've read?

noetic16:
Very silly. Do electronic items have a manufacturer? how many gadgets (ipads, laptops, fridges) do not have a designer?

What a dullard. The universe isn't man-made unlike the devices you're talking about.

noetic16:
The issue here is your living in denial and lack of imagination.

Why don't you actually address your fallacious statement?

noetic16:
grin You are not intelligent at all grin . How are these objects different from the universe? please explain . . .

Do you think you're intelligent with your childish attempts at a rebuttal?
The universe wasn't made by humans while those items were? You're supposed to show that the universe was actually created. Instead, you're just making poor analogies.

noetic16:
You come across as not-educated

You come across as deeply ignorant and at the same time, full of hubris.
Re: The God Delusion by noetic16(m): 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2012
thehomer:

What a demented response.
Who wrote The God Delusion? Darwin? Have you been drinking again? If you think you can debunk them, why don't you actually do that after reading the book rather than just shouting? Is your laziness so much that you cannot finish reading the book and you cannot think up rebuttals to the parts you've read?

This is getting boring. Your response is quite DUMB. I finished the book, Darwin (your god) messed up. He is an intellectual light weight, look at how he bundled up the whole arguments especially the Boeing argument. did that make sense to you? idiot.

What a dullard. The universe isn't man-made unlike the devices you're talking about.

What a big FOOL. The universe and the devices in question are products of intelligence that is greater than them. None of these human devices was made by a baby, simply because babies do not have such intelligence. is this rocket science? are you so dumb? If as humans we can make intelligent devices, does your common sense not preach that we as intelligent beings (including our universe) is a product of a more intelligent being? do you have a brain at all?

Why don't you actually address your fallacious statement?
yawns loudly sad

Do you think you're intelligent with your childish attempts at a rebuttal?
The universe wasn't made by humans while those items were? You're supposed to show that the universe was actually created. Instead, you're just making poor analogies.
Get this once and for all. The universe is a complex intelligent entity. It is absolutely STUPID, inconceivable and intellectually awkward to assert that it sprung into existence by chance. It is either you lack basic education or you are intentionally DUMB.

You come across as deeply ignorant and at the same time, full of hubris.

grin grin I have repeatedly exposed and educated your ignorance. You should show some gratitude. grin
Re: The God Delusion by thehomer: 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2012
noetic16:

This is getting boring. Your response is quite DUMB. I finished the book, Darwin (your god) messed up. He is an intellectual light weight, look at how he bundled up the whole arguments especially the Boeing argument. did that make sense to you? idiot.

Your stupidity is beyond belief. Was it Darwin that wrote the book? Are you sure you even read the right book? Obviously, you're unable to refute it because if you could, you would have actually presented a refutation rather than just glorifying your brainlessness.

noetic16:
What a big FOOL. The universe and the devices in question are products of intelligence that is greater than them. None of these human devices was made by a baby, simply because babies do not have such intelligence. is this rocket science? are you so dumb? If as humans we can make intelligent devices, does your common sense not preach that we as intelligent beings (including our universe) is a product of a more intelligent being? do you have a brain at all?

You must be a total numbskull to think that the universe is like an ipad or a laptop.

noetic16:
yawns loudly sad

Of course you will. That is the expected response from an ignorant buffoon.

noetic16:
Get this once and for all. The universe is a complex intelligent entity. It is absolutely STUPID, inconceivable and intellectually awkward to assert that it sprung into existence by chance. It is either you lack basic education or you are intentionally DUMB.

The universe is intelligent? Wow.

noetic16:
grin grin I have repeatedly exposed and educated your ignorance. You should show some gratitude. grin

You are well and truly unteachable. There is no more hope in educating you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Change We Need 2011 The Youth Of The Nation: Our Future And Our Hope / The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil, Was It Sexx??? / Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.