Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire (2605 Views)

FBI And EFCC Raid Internet Fraudsters’ Bases Across Nigeria, Arrest 30 / EFCC Arrests 4 Internet Fraudsters In Benin(photos) / EFCC Arrests 8 Internet Fraudsters In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by jhubril(m): 1:34pm On Jun 15, 2023
This is an explosive article on Bitcoin scam in Nigeria. A must read!

It is safe to say that Bitcoin and crime do not originally belong in the same sentence. But it was, at the onset, fated to become a willing tool in the hands of criminals.

Since the infamous Mt. Gox era, Bitcoin, popularly known as ‘internet money’, has been invariably used by anonymous criminals across the world to commit a series of heinous crimes ranging from money laundering to kidnapping.

Nigeria, Africa’s largest Bitcoin market, was destined to become a peculiar crime scene as Bitcoin’s influence spread across the world. This not only accounted for the rapid growth of Bitcoin in Africa itself but also revealed how a $760 million crypto empire consequently emerged from the interplay between Nigeria’s internet fraud syndicate known locally as ‘Yahoo boys’, and Bitcoin, their newly found obsession.

As it grew in popularity, Bitcoin's enduring promise of absolute anonymity was but a recipe for crypto-related scams in which Nigeria’s internet fraudsters actively participated. The modus operandi was fairly simple. It involved laundering or stashing away ‘dirty money’ and using the Bitcoin-fiat payment gateway offered by various deposit money banks(DMBs) to cash out the illegal proceeds.

Although the peculiar nature of the crypto-related crimes that are committed using Bitcoin is monetary, it is extremely difficult to find a piece of incontrovertible evidence linking a ring of Nigerian Bitcoin fraudsters to either the Silk Road scandal or the Mt Got era, when Bitcoin's criminal history is mostly believed to have begun.

However, as it happened in the Silk Road era that saw the genesis of how Bitcoin is leveraged by criminals, the country's internet fraudsters quickly gained a mastery of how to take advantage of Bitcoin in their criminal dealings, and by the time virtually everyone knew what Bitcoin symbolises, the rest became history. This experience with a new crime tool created the obsession that was required to popularise Bitcoin and build a large network of a million user base within the country and beyond.

The Early Days Of Bitcoin Trading In Nigeria
The growing popularity of Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies naturally caught the fascination of many young people in Nigeria. But a sizable minority of the youth population that was already given to all shades of internet fraud brought an interesting twist to it by becoming the country’s biggest crypto traders overnight. These new Bitcoin traders, mostly young men with basic computer skills, gravitated toward Bitcoin to build an internet wall for their illegal proceeds, and in Bitcoin they found a safe lodgement for it.

Even though they were keenly aware of the risks holding Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies presents, they exuded the stamina to endure even the worst crypto winter as long as the law was not trying to catch up with them.

At its height, the Nigerian crypto market accumulated a massive Bitcoin fortune outside the monetary province of the government, so much so the Federal Inland Revenue Service, the country’s chief tax collector, could not devise a means to either tax or seize the illegal Bitcoins were openly traded on the various crypto exchanges.

The volumes of daily Bank-assisted Bitcoin transactions reached a record $760 million in 2021, cumulatively producing a new industry where, although unregulated, an economic activity with a potential revenue stream was taking place, and in this chaos that characterized it, Nigerian banks in partnership with crypto wallet providers were raking in millions of Naira in crypto transactions until the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) issued a circular banning crypto servicing within the Nigerian banking sector on the 5th of February,2021.

The Path To Nigeria’s $760 Million Bitcoin Market

There is no official record of the day Nigeria reached its first one million Bitcoin users, but the rise of Bitcoin trading was unprecedented. Many individuals and businesses bought Bitcoin, perhaps, to augment their income, and what’s more, the interest in it began to wax stronger by the day. Moreover, Bitcoin received scarce attention in local news until the story of Aisha Ardo, a Kidnapped Nigerian citizen who was released after her father paid $15,000 in Bitcoin, made headlines.

By the time Bitcoin was old enough to be a tea party gist in the Nigerian business circle, a lot of people were already buying, trading, and selling it online. As more and more people began to discover its essence and its profitability, Bitcoin moved on with the tainted reputation that Nigeria’s internet fraudsters had already given to it.

The number of Bitcoin owners in the country grew rapidly and its Bitcoin market experienced a boom that caught the world’s attention. But it took an FBI investigation to uncover the truth behind the country’s Bitcoin success. In the investigation, it was revealed that between $200- $300 million dollars was illegally obtained on a weekly basis from the US and other Western countries by Nigeria’s fraud syndicate, the Yahoo boys. The investigation further revealed that most of the stolen funds came from the Covid-19 stimulus package, a large part of which the syndicate fraudulently obtained.

With a vast Bitcoin user base, Nigeria eventually became a key Bitcoin country in the world, sharing the same stage with countries such as the US, India, China, etc. And, if there is any lesson that becoming a thriving Bitcoin market has taught Nigeria, it is that the road to Bitcoin’s adoption has never been smooth anywhere in the world due to the propensity of criminals to hijack Bitcoin for selfish gains.

Nigeria’s own share of Bitcoin’s dirty history produced a vast market that earned it a spot in the top ten ranking of countries with the highest number of Bitcoin traders and it has consistently made the list as the number one Bitcoin destination in the whole of Africa, leaving countries like Ghana, Kenya and South Africa far behind.

Conclusion

Bitcoin is not the villain. It is, on the contrary, a technology that allows the exchange of value between two people without an intermediary. Its dark side is present in the way criminals across the world have continued to use it to launder illegal proceeds. Nigeria‘s internet fraudsters known as Yahoo boys developed an obsession with it as Bitcoin and crypto trading became a way to keep stolen funds outside the banks to avoid detection.

The unintended outcome of the long-range issue of crypto fraud involving Yahoo boys is the rapid growth of Nigeria’s crypto economy which, as of today is highly exposed to massive crypto risks but which has a huge potential to grow even bigger in a favourable regulatory landscape where consumers’ protection is king.

Source:

www.hackernoon.com/how-nigerias-internet-fraudsters-built-a-760-million-bitcoin-empire/

1 Share

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 15, 2023
Binary boys, I greet una oo! 😁

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by jhubril(m): 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2023
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by TemplarLandry: 1:55pm On Jun 15, 2023
cool
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by VeryWickedMan: 1:56pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ladies and gentlemen, I don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this write up.

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by SHINJA: 2:48pm On Jun 15, 2023
760 million dollars ... shocked

If I bribe manhood with 10 million dollars he fit make me president the next day...

3 Likes

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Firecolos: 3:50pm On Jun 15, 2023
tongue
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by imagrg(m): 4:23pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ignore.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by LikeAking: 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2023
Lies!
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by PARADIZEPRIEST: 6:24pm On Jun 15, 2023
Fake,long scripted lies. grin

4 Likes

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Astra101: 7:47pm On Jun 15, 2023
I can never leave FOREX to trade crypto... NEVER! cool
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by HustleandWin: 8:11pm On Jun 15, 2023
So how do I get like $1 million from this syndicate scheme? ... that's all i want to know

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by ABOKI9ja: 11:42pm On Jun 15, 2023
Astra101:
I can never leave FOREX to trade crypto... NEVER! cool
You are missing alot, crypto brought so many opportunoties like staking, airdroping, mining, spot, margin trading and many more which Forex has not. When talking about Forex all you hear is only ' trading'. Crypto is still in its early stage of life the earlier you join the train the better. There are many cryptos that are going to x100+ in the next bull run which is expected to come in few months coming ; with only $100 you can make $100,000+ in few months coming so crypto is the king of all financial markets we have. Crypto is 24/7 non stop unlike forex that only operates from Monday - Friday and stocks that operate only during official working hours. I'm happy I left major, minor and exotic family for good

3 Likes

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by jhubril(m): 6:20am On Jun 16, 2023
Scammer spotted! Ole
PARADIZEPRIEST:
Fake,long scripted lies. grin
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Astra101: 8:13am On Jun 16, 2023
ABOKI9ja:
You are missing alot, crypto brought so many opportunoties like staking, airdroping, mining, spot, margin trading and many more which Forex has not. When talking about Forex all you hear is only ' trading'. Crypto is still in its early stage of life the earlier you join the train the better. There are many cryptos that are going to x100+ in the next bull run which is expected to come in few months coming ; with only $100 you can make $100,000+ in few months coming so crypto is the king of all financial markets we have. Crypto is 24/7 non stop unlike forex that only operates from Monday - Friday and stocks that operate only during official working hours. I'm happy I left major, minor and exotic family for good

As regards the boldest, Maybe you're a novice to the market. Crypto the king of market over forex? Where is your statistics? What is the daily volume of crypto transactions? The fact that you downplay forex with over 5 $trillions of trading volume per day made me give up on you bro.

Still on the boldest, you claimed with just $100 you can make over $100,000+ in few months. That's still a joke compared with what niggas are making in FX months in months out. Be specific with your time frame of how many months it gonna take you to make that money in crypto and I will bet with you that with just $30(thirty dollars) I will make over $1,000,000 (one millions dollars) in 5 months, yes you heard me right!

I don't wanna reveal my identity here due to some reasons otherwise I would have dropped
Myfxbook links here make your eyes open small shocked

See if you need a one on one challenge with me I wouldn't mind opening a live account with just $30 while you also do same with your $100 claims and lets see between FX and crypto who's the boss / king of the markets. Once again be specific with your time frame, I give you 5 months.

Big CHEERS to all Forex traders worldwide especially here in Naija 💙

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by LowKeyManny: 8:18am On Jun 16, 2023
A lot of hot air, unsubstantiated opinions, unverified and largely biased write-up intended to drive traffic.

Disappointed to have wasted my time reading this.
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Mantilla(m): 9:10am On Jun 16, 2023
What point you trying prove?
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by jhubril(m): 1:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
What happened to fact-checking them,Mumu? Must you be spoonfed in public?https://www.arise.tv/how-fbi-alerted-nigerias-central-bank-to-scammers-using-cryptocurrencies-to-defraud-the-west/
https://punchng.com/nigeria-records-760m-crypto-trade-in-2021-paxful/?ref=hackernoon.comspeoonfeed
[ quote author=LowKeyManny post=123828704]A lot of hot air, unsubstantiated opinions, unverified and largely biased write-up intended to drive traffic.

Disappointed to have wasted my time reading this.[/quote]
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by jhubril(m): 1:32pm On Jun 16, 2023
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Thomthom(m): 1:56pm On Jun 16, 2023
Astra101:

As regards the boldest, Maybe you're a novice to the market. Crypto the king of market over forex? Where is your statistics? What is the daily volume of crypto transactions? The fact that you downplay forex with over 5 $trillions of trading volume per day made me give up on you bro.

Still on the boldest, you claimed with just $100 you can make over $100,000+ in few months. That's still a joke compared with what niggas are making in FX months in months out. Be specific with your time frame of how many months it gonna take you to make that money in crypto and I will bet with you that with just $30(thirty dollars) I will make over $1,000,000 (one millions dollars) in 5 months, yes you heard me right!

I don't wanna reveal my identity here due to some reasons otherwise I would have dropped

See if you need a one on one challenge with me I wouldn't mind opening a live account with just $30 while you also do same with your $100 claims and lets see between FX and crypto who's the boss / king of the markets. Once again be specific with your time frame, I give you 5 months. Bros abeg I fit teach me this FX or explain nam to me I fit come ur side.. I go pay for my upkeep myself abeg

Bros abeg u fit put me tru this FX or teach me through whatsapp.. or I fit come ur side to learn, feeding and upkeep money on me pls
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Astra101: 2:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
Thomthom:
Bros abeg u fit put me tru this FX or teach me through whatsapp.. or I fit come ur side to learn, feeding and upkeep money on me pls

Send your details to dumekoko@gmail dot com
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by ABOKI9ja: 6:14pm On Jun 16, 2023
Astra101:

See if you need a one on one challenge with me I wouldn't mind opening a live account with just $30 while you also do same with your $100 claims and lets see between FX and crypto who's the boss / king of the markets. Once again be specific with your time frame, I give you 5 months.

Don't call me novice. As of 2022, FOREX has transaction volume of $ 7.28 trillion. Of course, Forex is bigger than Crypto market but the huge opportunities crypto has, forex don't. Don't just talk anyhow my friend. I did not even mention leveraged trading and you are now talking about trading. Let me also tell you I have been into FOREX for very long time and alhamdulillah I got what I got. If you dont know or dont understand just ask how.
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by ABOKI9ja: 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2023
Thomthom:
don't fall for him, he may be a scammer
Re: How Nigeria's Internet Fraudsters Built A $760 Million Bitcoin Empire by Thomthom(m): 9:59pm On Jun 16, 2023
ABOKI9ja:
don't fall for him, he may be a scammer
No bro not at all he tot most of the things I don't know b4.. infact I was waiting for the part the he will say I should pay for one manual book let me off phone.. the guy was really helpful

(1) (Reply)

Viral Sex Tape Of Lagos Pastor - Cleric Allegedly Released Video Himself / Nigerians Seen Looting MTN Properties In Maraba, Abuja (photos) / Photos Of Jordanian F-16 Pilot Captured In Syria By ISIS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.