Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Texas Heat Wave - Power Demand Estimated To Hit 80,000mw - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Texas Heat Wave - Power Demand Estimated To Hit 80,000mw (274 Views)

Heat Wave: Fire Errupts In Upminster, London / Heat Wave: UK exceeds 40°C For The First Time Ever / Heat Wave Grips Canada, US; Scores Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Texas Heat Wave - Power Demand Estimated To Hit 80,000mw by COMPAQ(m): 12:22am On Jun 17, 2023
Temperatures in Houston are currently at about 36 degrees Celcius, which is very hot by Houston standards, even if many of us in Nigeria are kind of used to this. There have been many warnings sent out for residents to stay hydrated, stay indoors etc so that they don't suffer heatstroke and deaths.

However what struck me in all this is that the Texas State electricity regulator and grid operator - ERCOT- expects electricity demand to hit 80,000MW this weekend!!! That is about 16 times the estimated 5000MW TOTAL electricity production of NIGERIA!!

It's a real shame that Nigeria is sooo far behind. Hopefully, the recent Electricity Act signed by President Tinubu can grow our electricity sector significantly in the next 3-5 years.
Re: Texas Heat Wave - Power Demand Estimated To Hit 80,000mw by Praxis758: 12:54am On Jun 17, 2023
That’s a country where order and system works.

Imagine such a high temperature hitting Nigeria, then your guess is as good as mine.

And we are here celebrating a paltry 5000mw
Re: Texas Heat Wave - Power Demand Estimated To Hit 80,000mw by CodeTemplar: 4:12am On Jun 17, 2023
We can achieve such figures but the elites always want to own things and be in a position to make huge profits off the masses. I have a thread about what some renewable power projects cost and don't see what stops us from having such if not for this greedy capitalist pattern.
Re: Texas Heat Wave - Power Demand Estimated To Hit 80,000mw by COMPAQ(m): 5:08pm On Jun 17, 2023
CodeTemplar:
We can achieve such figures but the elites always want to own things and be in a position to make huge profits off the masses. I have a thread about what some renewable power projects cost and don't see what stops us from having such if not for this greedy capitalist pattern.

Good point. I have always wondered why we don’t have any large scale solar plant in Nigeria. Once a site is identified and security of supply from a solar manufacturer is established, a solar farm of 500MW can be ready in 2 to 3 years if serious. I guess the issue is making these projects bankable.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Elon Musk Mock Ukraine / US Navy Carrier Strike Group Deploys To Support Israel / History Of Israel-palestine Conflict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.