Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,064 members, 7,835,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi (1090 Views)

Pauline Tallen Says ‘Amen’ To Anti-Aisha Buhari Prayer - Gazette / From “Muslim-Muslim” To “is He Really A Muslim?” By Farooq A. Kperogi / Trump Meets With A Lady Who Escaped From Boko Haram In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
Here's this week's column on the controversy VP Kashim Shettima stirred over his call for a Christian Senate President:

Twitter: @farooqkperogi

Vice President Kashim Shettima is undergoing an interesting notional transformation in Nigeria’s fractured public sphere. Before and during the last presidential election, his opponents, particularly in the South, tagged him as the “founder of Boko Haram” even though he was a mere commissioner in 2009 when Boko Haram burst forth into national consciousness and he had exactly zero connection with the group’s founding.

People who couldn’t sustain the charge that he founded Boko Haram (because the chronology of Boko Haram’s emergence and the rise of his political stature don’t align) caused a 2017 photo of him dining on a mat with Fulani herders whose children he enrolled in a secular school he built for them when he was governor of Borno to go viral on social media. The Fulani herders were labelled “Boko Haram terrorists” with whom Shettima was allegedly hatching sinister designs.

Several fact-checks, including by the BBC’s Global Disinformation Team that famously exposed in a January 18 investigation that “parties give out cash, lavish gifts, government contracts and even political appointments” for disinformation against political opponents, revealed that the photo emerged from an innocuous, publicly available record of Shettima’s move to promote Western education among the children of nomadic Fulani people in Borno, which is paradoxically a direct attack on Boko Haram’s ideology.

But the fact-checks did nothing to attenuate the narrative that he is a Boko Haram sponsor, or that the viral photo was merely the photographic record of his meeting with parents of children he enrolled in a Western school.

Neither Shettima nor his media team, to my knowledge, did anything to dispel the reputationally damaging falsehoods about his connections to Boko Haram. He even made a joking reference to his being the “sponsor of Boko Haram” when he announced his appointment of two Christians as his first volitional hires as vice president, indicating that it doesn’t worry him.

The reference to appointing Christians as his personal aides was unnecessary because he is on record as the first governor of Borno to appoint southern Christians as aides. His Chief Detail was a certain Ifeanyi Onwubuya. One Christopher Godwin Akaba who is my Facebook friend also served as his Special Assistant. And Chief Kester Ogualili was his Special Adviser on Community Relations.

Shettima probably hasn’t cared to correct the false narrative of his Boko Haram associational baggage because it doesn’t cause him any reputational harm in his natal constituency, by which I mean Muslim northern Nigeria. But he now has a reason to be worried about his acceptance in this constituency for a different, even ironic, reason.

This week, his forceful, impassioned appeal to northern Muslim senators to concede the senate presidency to a southern Christian in light of the current political power configuration that is disproportionately tilted in favor of Muslims caused offense to many Northern Muslims and earned him the rather ironic label of being an “anti-Muslim”— or, if you like Christophilic—Muslim.

(I am using Muslim Christophilia here to denote notions of excessive, often compensatory, empathy for Christians by a Muslim who wants to show that he or she is not bigoted against Christians. It’s the opposite of Christian Islamophilia).

In an address to an informal gathering of senators on June 11, Shettima said, “For me, under the current dispensation, the worst, the most incompetent Southern Christian is better than the most puritanical Northern Muslim for the Presidency of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.” And all hell broke loose in Muslim northern Nigeria.

Shettima’s media aide initially issued a statement that accused critics of Shettima’s statement of being “mischief makers” who “twisted” his words in the service of a predetermined agenda. That was both inaccurate and unhelpful. Several of the people I read criticizing him over the statement were well-meaning, non-partisan people who aren’t given to unwarranted toxicity.

I first became aware of Shettima’s speech from a Facebook friend by the name of Muhammad Sulaiman Abdullahi who is an editor with an online newspaper called The Daily Reality. He was peeved by what Shettima said, but I don’t know him to be politically partisan.

Even Northern Elders Forum’s Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed who criticized Shettima’s words as “unfortunate” and helped amplify the reach of his speech isn’t a “mischief maker.” He is a deeply intellectual yet temperate, amiable, and mild-mannered person.

Nonetheless, I think the reaction to Shettima’s speech in Muslim northern Nigeria, even from Baba-Ahmed, missed the context of his text. It was obviously a case of the main point of a speech being lost in a maze of figures of speech. He deployed intentional exaggeration and rhetorical contrast to aggrandize the point he wanted to make.

He proceeded from the assumption that his audience agreed with him that a[b] “puritanical Northern Muslim” embodies the ultimate standard of perfection. That leap isn’t surprising because, like me, Shettima was raised by a father who was an Arabic and Islamic Studies teacher. (Shettima’s father taught Arabic and Islamic Studies to former Borno State governor Mala Kachalla in primary school in Maiduguri).[/b]

Shettima deployed the ideal of a “puritanical Northern Muslim” as the basis for a contrast with the “worst, most incompetent” southern Christian to dramatize the exigency (or what Martin Luther King, Jr would have called the “fierce urgency”) of electing a Southern Christian senate president because the president, vice president, speaker, and Chief Justice of Nigeria are (in the case of the speaker would be) Muslims.

So, the operative term was “under the current dispensation.” In other words, he wanted to communicate the idea that sometimes circumstances dictate the ideals we should promote. I made a similar, if reverse, argument in my June 12, 2022, article titled “A Muslim-Muslim Ticket in APC?” which opposed the Muslim-Muslim ticket Shettima is a beneficiary of.

I wrote: “When Obasanjo favored northern Christians in appointments during his administration, he defended his action by insisting that he was guided by considerations of competence, not religion or region.

“Some of the same people who're defending the prospect of a Muslim-Muslim ticket in APC using ‘competence’ as a defense (as if competence is delimited by religion or region) told Obasanjo that sensitivity to intra-regional diversity trumped ‘competence.’ Hypocrisy seems to be grafted into our DNA.”

If he had chosen to be plain, Shettima’s speech would have read something like, “I am the son of an Islamic Studies teacher and deeply respect the ideal of a pious Muslim leading the polity.

But to tell you how much I want a Southern Christian to be Senate president since every other position in the highest reaches of government is occupied by Muslims in a multi-religious country like Nigeria, I’d be prepared, under the circumstance, to sacrifice the leadership of the pious Muslim leader I’ve been brought up to cherish, which tells you how much invested I am in averting the disruption that I think will result from electing another Muslim as a senate president.”

Contrary to what many northern Muslims understood him as saying, he was actually manifesting praise and approval for the hypothetical “puritanical northern Muslim.”

The only criticism of his speech that is valid, in my opinion, is that which says his concerns for reflecting religious plurality in leadership at the top is at best self-serving. Had he rejected being a running mate to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a fellow Muslim, on account of the sameness of the faith he shares with the president, he would have stood on firm moral grounds to campaign against the dominance of one faith in the leadership of the country.

Well, Shettima has now apologized because he has understood that if, as a leader, your communication isn’t understood by your followers, the fault lies not with the followers who misunderstood you but with you the leader. As I pointed out in my September 17, 2022, column titled “Shettima as Tinubu’s Chief De-Marketer,” the vice president needs to be attentive to his communication style.

I wrote: “He appears to just love the show of erudition and bibliophilia that comes from his exhibitionistic verbal swagger. It may excite his admirers and may even be cherished by Nigerian rhetorical scholars, but it’s a treacherous political minefield.” I am sure he will agree with me now land has learned his lesson.
https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2023/06/shettima-from-boko-haram-sponsor-to.html

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by betiy: 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2023
OP, Abeg who you want make them move this kind topic to FP? grin for this Nairaland? It's like you wan make them ban this forum and render seun jobless angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 17, 2023
don't looseguared o!

It's called Taqiya

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by triple996(m): 4:09pm On Jun 17, 2023
Politics
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:10pm On Jun 17, 2023
All nah wash. Using the reversed psychology doctrine of taqqiya. This Kashim Shettima hid Kabiru Sokoto the well known BH terrorist mastermind of the gruesome December 25 2018 bomb blast @ the Catholic Church in Madalla Niger State in Borno State government Lodge in Abuja until he was fished out by the army and DSS

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:11pm On Jun 17, 2023
It is only a naive person that will believe this senseless attempt to downplay the true reality of such a character.

2 Likes

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:12pm On Jun 17, 2023
betiy:
OP, Abeg who you want make them move this kind topic to FP? grin for this Nairaland? It's like you wan make them ban this forum and render seun jobless...
Hehehe! Valuwnce promax
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:13pm On Jun 17, 2023
But to tell you how much I want a Southern Christian to be Senate president since every other position in the highest reaches of government is occupied by Muslims in a multi-religious country like Nigeria......
No sane Christian should be deceived by this doctrine of taqqiya because for these fanatic fellas, it is the political dominance of Islam or nothing. Buhari practiced it to the fullest and none of them including the now deceptive born again Shettima who does not see anything bad with his muslim muslim ticket in a multi-secular state.

[i]APC’s Muslim-Muslim Ticket Is Call To Jihad, Shows Supremacy Of Islam In Nigeria – Kano Preacher, Auwal, Tells Congregation To Vote Massively

https://saharareporters.com/2023/01/06/apcs-muslim-muslim-ticket-call-jihad-shows-supremacy-islam-nigeria-kano-preacher-auwal

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by EyeCumInPiece: 4:14pm On Jun 17, 2023
Every neutral & objective person knows that the Muslim-Muslim ticket was not fair in a multi-ethnoreligious country like Nigeria. Would Muslims have accepted a Christian-Christian President & Vice?

Tinubu only used the M-M ticket as his best political calculation to win.

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Zxcvbnmghtr: 4:15pm On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
All nah wash. Usong the reversed psychology doctrine of taqqiya. This Kashim Shettima hid Kabiru Sokoto the well known BH terrorist mastermind of the gruesome December 25 2018 bomb blast @ the Catholic Church in Madalla Niger State in Borno State government Lodge in Abuja until he was fished out by the army and DSS

Was Kabiru found guilty or innocent?
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by betiy: 4:15pm On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
Hehehe! Valuwnce promax
My brother if vawulence doesn't solve everything, you're not using enough of it grin
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:18pm On Jun 17, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
Was Kabiru found guilty or innocent?
A terrorist is always a terrorist. There is no brainwashing a terrorist.

2 Likes

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by ganisucks(f): 4:19pm On Jun 17, 2023
Rubbish PR stunt that can never work. These people are worse than clowns. They are mimes.

2 Likes

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 4:25pm On Jun 17, 2023
Shettima, a sitting governor who went through the psychological trauma of Chibok girls kidnapping, became a senator after his term as governor and still remain political relevance.

Why not such man of a strong character, who is ready for any challenge without breaking down.

The Osinbajo Ice cream jokes sealed the choice, cos a man who can attack others maturely without name calling, those are the traits of a good leader.

Shettima is up to the task , to the game.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 4:33pm On Jun 17, 2023
helinues:
Shettima, a sitting governor who went through the psychological trauma of Chibok girls kidnapping, became a senator after his term as governor and still remain political relevance.......
Of course the flare to support anything evil is not new with you lots. Shettima refused to report a critical security breach that happened in his domain to a sitting president, but instead asking his C-in-C to to do the reverse?

Guess it was this same Shettima who was well aware of the plan to kidnapped the Chibok school girls hence defiantly went against Wike’s plan to bring all the girls in security risk areas to Maiduguri Town for their WAEC exams.

The infamous principal of GGSS Chibok was made a commissioner of Education under Governor Shettima. Same woman whose daughters writing the same WAEC as other students but were no where near the school premises on the day BH terrorists came calling? What does that tells you about the fiendish character of this man?

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
Of course the flare to support anything evil is not new with you lots. This same Shettima was well aware of the plan to kidnapped the Chibok school girls hence defiantly went against Wike’s plan to bring all the girls in security risk areas to Maiduguri Town for their WAEC exams.

The infamous principal of GGSS Chibok was made a commissioner of Education under Governor Shettima. Same woman whose daughters writing the same WAEC as other students but were no where near the school premises on the day BH terrorists came calling? What does that tells you about the fiendish character of this man?

Don't tell us you are disagreeing with your mentor today

We told you guys, you and your likes would be the one left in your camp as people's eyes must have been cleared from the Obidients brainwashing.

Make una dey there make dede dey dey una

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Throwback: 4:37pm On Jun 17, 2023
Obi and his fascists almost killed Nigeria with dangerous propaganda just to win a religious warfare.

There was nothing off limits to those deranged zombies who wanted to force themselves on sane Nigerians.

Shame on the illegitimate candidate.

2 Likes

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Throwback: 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
All nah wash. Usong the reversed psychology doctrine of taqqiya. This Kashim Shettima hid Kabiru Sokoto the well known BH terrorist mastermind of the gruesome December 25 2018 bomb blast @ the Catholic Church in Madalla Niger State in Borno State government Lodge in Abuja until he was fished out by the army and DSS

He did not hide him.

Kabiru Sokoto found a loophole to be there so as to harm Gov. Shettima and his family.

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 4:41pm On Jun 17, 2023
Throwback:
Obi and his fascists almost killed Nigeria with dangerous propaganda just to win a religious warfare.

There was nothing off limits to those deranged zombies who wanted to force themselves on sane Nigerians.

Shame on the illegitimate candidate.

Bro, Imagine Obi or Datti as governor during Chibok saga, they would have been crying all over the place instead of them to man up and face the challenge.

Obi and Datti together are not politically psychologically strong like Shettima.

Now imagine combo of Jagaba with Shettima who stood the test of time.

Nigerians rejected the calamity pending Peter Obi and his vice Datti

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Hisbah(f): 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2023
helinues:
Shettima, a sitting governor who went through the psychological trauma of Chibok girls kidnapping, became a senator after his term as governor and still remain political relevance.

Why not such man of a strong character, who is ready for any challenge without breaking down.

The Osinbajo Ice cream jokes sealed the choice, cos a man who can attack others maturely without name calling, those are the traits of a good leader.

Shettima is up to the task , to the game.

Hello,
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by kernniejay(m): 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2023
In Nigeria, only those with scandals rule. If you are not controversial, you are not qualified. E.g. Tinubu, Akpabio etc.
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by SmartPolician: 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2023
This man should write an article to discuss how El-Rufai wants to use Islam to hijack Nigeria. What Shettima said was very okay. You cannot have a Muslim president, Muslim VP and Muslim Senate President.
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by jmoore(m): 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2023
SmartPolician:
This man should write an article to discuss how El-Rufai wants to use Islam to hijack Nigeria. What Shettima said was very okay. You cannot have a Muslim president, Muslim VP and Muslim Senate President.

The hypocrisy is too loud. If muslim muslim ticket was okay for Shettima, he should stop talking about balancing power. He should resign and let a Christian be the vice.

@topic, Shettima was only trying to blackmail the northern muslims emotionally to support a Christian senate president. His choice of words made him to goof. He is not antimuslim.
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Asidy(m): 5:42pm On Jun 17, 2023
He will understand the harm that he caused himself in 2027. Am sure northern Muslims will remind him his speech in thst year.
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by GeneralPula: 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
This guy..

This was how you started when Buhari entered in 2015 with Islamization & finalization agenda propaganda. This was how you kept on creating threads upon threads with how Buhari was going to fulanize Nigeria..

Buhari don finish now... Have you & your likes been Islamized & Fulanized?

Now, you’ve moved to Shettima with another set of baseless accusations... Hopefully, you’ll get it right someday..

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Zxcvbnmghtr: 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
A terrorist is always a terrorist. There is no brainwashing a terrorist.

Was he found guilty?
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Zxcvbnmghtr: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2023
GeneralPula:

This guy..

This was how you started when Buhari entered in 2015 with Islamization & finalization agenda propaganda. This was how you kept on creating threads upon threads with how Buhari was going to fulanize Nigeria..

Buhari don finish now... Have you & your likes been Islamized & Fulanized?

Now, you’ve moved to Shettima with another set of baseless accusations... Hopefully, you’ll get it right someday..

That's the way such people will live the rest of their life. There is no remedy.
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Wahabfuture: 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Was he found guilty?

How many times are you going to ask this question?
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by GeneralPula: 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

That's the way such people will live the rest of their life. There is no remedy.
I don't understand how someone can just decided to be mischievous despite all the options humans have on earth..

1 Like

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by frankyychiji(f): 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2023
Shittima's statement was actually a slap on the face of the christian South.

What you see as Muslim puritanism is nothing but hypocrisy.

Praying five times a day doesn't make you holy.

Shariah law is only for the poor.
Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by OloYeOfEgbE: 7:04pm On Jun 17, 2023
Omo see boko haram PR.

Nice one ooo..na una go suffer am las las..Werey wan reduce Christians IQ

Re: Shettima: From “Boko Haram Sponsor” To Anti-Muslim Muslim? By Farooq A. Kperogi by Zxcvbnmghtr: 7:08pm On Jun 17, 2023
Wahabfuture:

How many times are you going to ask this question?

Was he guilty?

(1) (2) (Reply)

TINUBUNOMICS: Naira Depreciates By 16% To N770.38/$ / Reactions From The Torture Of A Man At Enugu For Violating Sit-At-Home Order / Israeli Jews Shout "Death To Christians’ In Another Clash Of Violence (video&pi)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.