Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,955 members, 7,814,239 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

World Sickle Cell Day 2023 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Sickle Cell Day 2023 (5856 Views)

June 19, World Sickle Cell Day / See Photos Of US Embassy Commemoration Of World Sickle Cell Day / Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Dpharmacist: 1:04am On Jun 19, 2023
Today is World Sickle Cell awareness day.

The World Sickle Cell Awareness Day is observed on June 19 every year to increase public knowledge and provide an understanding of sickle cell disease (S.C.D.), and the challenges experienced by patients and their families and caregivers.

Did you know that sickle cell disease is the most common genetic blood disorder? Yes, sickle cell disease is a genetic condition that affects millions of people worldwide and is most common in African, Mediterranean, and Arabian Peninsula areas.
Sickle cell disease is a genetic condition that occurs when a child receives a sickle cell trait from each parent. The disease causes red blood cells to ‘sickle’ or become banana-shaped when they are stressed and this can make it difficult for the blood to flow through blood vessels.

Our red blood cells are normally round and flexible, allowing them to travel freely through blood arteries, but with sickle cell disease, some of the cells become crescent moon-shaped and adhere to blood vessels. As a result, blood flow through blood vessels slows or stops, causing discomfort, organ damage, and possibly even a stroke.

Sickle cell disease patients are additionally at risk of consequences like stroke, acute chest syndrome, blindness, bone degeneration, and painful penile erections.

Over time, people with this disease can experience damage to organs such as the liver, kidney, lungs, heart, and spleen which can even lead to death.

The management of sickle cell mostly focuses on preventing and treating complications. The only possible cure for the disorder is a bone marrow transplant. However, even this treatment is only possible for a limited number of affected individuals who have a suitable donor.

Doctors also prescribe a medicine called Hydroxyurea which has been shown to significantly reduce pain.

On this day, the Sickle Cell society encourages everyone to be a part of this annual effort to increase awareness about sickle cell disease and sickle cell traits.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by OgbanjeProphet: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2023
Sickle cell na ogbanje disorder.

Never allow love to blindfold you. Marry compatibility for the sake of your children.

FTC
I hear say na Tinubu be president now, may his stolen mandate favour us in Agwunsi's name, Amen!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Sirheny007(m): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2023
This is dedicated to my friend Chibuzo of blessed memory.
You knew your time was up. I was partying with you every weekend not knowing you had plans.
You informed us very late but there was nothing we could do anyway. I was nursing a bottle of Heineken when I heard the news.

I raised it and drank to your memory.
I still look at your parents. They knew they should never have done it.
But they went ahead. Loves is blind, yes. But very stupid and selfish.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Exceed15: 10:41am On Jun 19, 2023
It is well.
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 10:41am On Jun 19, 2023
cry
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by billionman: 10:41am On Jun 19, 2023
Once upon a time on this side of the world, children use to die due to SCD and those deaths were termed mysterious or related to something spiritual. With advances in medical sciences, the pathophysiology of SCD was unraveled. Now you can choose to birth an SCD offspring or avoid it, even when both couple has the sickle cell gene. The choice is now your's. Candidly, avoid it in any way possible.

2 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by eddynaira125: 10:42am On Jun 19, 2023
It's well
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by lekkicctv(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2023
Health is Wealth
Take care of your loved ones, friends..
From us @LekkiCCTVpro #StaySafe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by opera1(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2023
I call it Avoidable syndrome
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by fixitbyjal(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2023
My heart goes to everyone fighting or battling with sickle cell anaemia
May God heal you completely

I track lost or stolen devices
A trial will convince you

7 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Emeka71(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2023
Where are they holding the event in Warri?
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by ovieigho(m): 10:44am On Jun 19, 2023
🫡

2 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by SmartPolician: 10:44am On Jun 19, 2023
Thank goodness for the advancement in medical sciences.

Nobody should (in the name of love) bring kids suffering with sickle cell anaemia into our world.

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Edipet(m): 10:45am On Jun 19, 2023
Most matured girls doesn't know their genotype..

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by BigDawsNet: 10:46am On Jun 19, 2023
AA marry AS pls

2 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by fourboys: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Dedicated to my childhood friend Ifeanyi(died of sickle cell).. continue to rest with the Lord cry cry

2 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Omooyinbo: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Health is wealth
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by ACRI: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2023
There was a thread on sickle cell here that was doing just fine...

I stumbled on an international forum also, it was very detailed in providing useful information to people suffering from the aiment

I was doing this to help my brother who is affected. Pls paste useful forums for these people here if you have

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Nahunger(m): 10:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Ha
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Blake755: 10:50am On Jun 19, 2023
This is delicated to chima who lost his life cause his parents where ignorant i wonder what we happen i never been this afraid only time we tell 💔 cry cry
Please let them make the bone transplant to be cost friendly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by TBforgive: 10:53am On Jun 19, 2023
Sickle cell is not funny...may help come to its carriers...and Sense to aspiring couples.

4 Likes

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by tonididdy(m): 10:56am On Jun 19, 2023
ovieigho:
🫡
Pls can you explain this photo.
Tys

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by Henryfortune(m): 10:57am On Jun 19, 2023
The help should go to the deep core where we have the poor of the poorest in our society... I did my Nysc somewhere in nsuka Enugu State and there are lots of innocent children having this illness without any help not that they brought it upon themselves but because their parents are not well educated to understand this impact of marrying the wrong genotype.. Just just pity them as they don't even have access to any medical care the parents alrdy exhausted with the little they can do.. thia is where I think our government should focused on the poor people in our villages

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by CandidAdmin(m): 10:59am On Jun 19, 2023
I agree with the user up there who said "DON'T BRING CHILDREN INTO THIS WORLD TO SUFFER IN THE NAME OF LOVE! DON'T TRY IT. INFACT, CHECK YOUR GENOTYPE BEFORE YOU FALL IN LOVE"

Food for thought - could all thosd "Abiku" in yoruba land be SS patient?
If they were, it would explian why they died at young ages
Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by AntiChristian: 10:59am On Jun 19, 2023
We wey be AA fit marry as we like!

Others look before they leap!

SS/SC dey drain money, time and may lead to death!

I remember one pastor wey join two AS couples only for them to have their first two kids as SS!

The first later died after wasting money around 12! I wonder if the second still dey alive and kicking!

Alhamdulillah for Life, good health, good FAM, etc!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by tonididdy(m): 10:59am On Jun 19, 2023
Let's make this as informative as possible.

when does a new born stat showing signs of this disease? Assuming a parent have no idea of their genotype ?

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by lowsugar: 11:01am On Jun 19, 2023
In loving memory of my nephew Munachi, you died a warrior and now you're without pains.

1 Like

Re: World Sickle Cell Day 2023 by theophorus(m): 11:04am On Jun 19, 2023
Hmmm!

If you have seen anyone during their Crisis, you will really pity dem.

Salute to all the Sickle cell victims. May You be all be lucky to Survive it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boost Libido And, Maintain Stronger and Longer Erection / M2-tone Price Please / COVID-19 Update For March 15 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.