Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,914 members, 7,814,083 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) (1385 Views)

Mass Communication Degree To Be Phased Out As Professors Submit New Curricula / List Of Nigerian Universities With The Highest Number Of Professors (FULL LIST) / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by GrassrootReport: 6:22am On Jun 20, 2023
The Management of the University of Calabar has announced the termination of the appointments of no fewer than 20 lecturers who were appointed as Graduate Assistants drawn from across various Departments in the Institution.

Separate letters of termination of appointment signed by the Registrar, Mr Gabriel O. Egbe indicate that the reason for their layoff is because the affected staff are in contravention of Section 3.9.3 (iv) of the 2014 Regulations Governing the Condition of Service of staff of the University of Calabar.

It is worth noting that the aforementioned section stipulates that "if a Graduate Assistant fails to obtain a Master's degree after four (4) years, the appointment of the said staff shall be terminated".

All affected staff are said to have spent between five to nine years post-appointment without evidence of having acquired a Master's degree within the period of their engagement.

The affected staff whose termination of appointment is with effect from June 6th, 2023 include; the Department of Curriculum and Teaching - Nkanu, Celestine Uno, Samson, Cyprian Ushie and Chukwu Chukwe Agube.

Also affected are; Adie Anthony Unimke of the Department of Geology, Nnenna, Williams Afamuefuna of Anatomy; Okoro, Bernard Chibueze of Microbiology; Eze Ohara Enyinyi of Physics; Udo, Nsibiet Enefiok of Mathematics; Udeze, Leonard Chinedu of Computer Science; Adie John Betiang of Vocational Education; Ikpo Patrick Andelehe of Social Science Education and Edet, Itam Ben of Human Kinetics.

Others are, Arihi, Blessing Ebere of Music; Baba, Ganiyu Olosasa of Crop Science; Okpe, John Ogbang of Forestry and Wildlife Resources Mgt.; Georgeline Elohor Akporume of Agric Economics; Ucheji, Ojuigo Nancy of Mechanical Engineering and Onwe, Peter Daffin of Electrical & Electronics Engr. as well as, Adah Pius Obua and Samuel Edem Okon-Edem, both of Genetics & Biotechnology.

The affected staff are further advised to return all university property in their possession to their respective Heads of Departments and tender evidence of being cleared of any indebtedness by the Bursary and the University Librarian before their final disengagement.

Meanwhile, the Vice- Chancellor of the University, Prof Florence Obi has announced the promotion of 35 Academic Staff of the University of Calabar to the professorial cadre in the Institution.

Prof Florence Obi who made the announcement at the 234th Senate Meeting of the University of Calabar held at the Senate Chamber of the institution disclosed that 13 Professors and 22 Associate Professors were beneficiaries of the promotion exercise.

Those who made the list of Professors include Dr Basil Akwuegwu (Edu Management), Dr Bob Mgbeje (Biochemistry), Dr Emon Duke (Nursing Science), Dr Oluwatosin Kennedy (Animal Science), Dr Mary Sule (Education Management), Dr Joseph Ogar (Philosophy), Dr Item Atanghwo (Biochemistry), and Rev (Fr) Dr Imo Obot (Educational Foundation).

Others include Dr Ephraim Ikegbu (Philosophy), Dr (Mrs) Aniefiok Edet (Educational Management), Dr (Mrs) Josephine Nanjwan (Special Education) , Dr Emmanuel Bassey Eyo (Philosophy and Dr Mesembe Edet (Philosophy)---posthumous.

Those who ascended the rank of Associate Professors include Dr Edor Edor (Philosophy), Rev (Fr) Dr Godfrey Ukpabio (Educational Management), Dr (Mrs) Usen Mbon (Educational Management), Dr Ekpenyong Ekanem (Educational Management), Dr Ajigo Ikutal (Vocational Education), Dr (Mrs) Bernadine Ekpenyong (Public Health) and Dr Peter Ubi (Economics).

Others in the list are Engr. (Dr) Fina Faith-Praise Otosi (Computer Engineering), Dr (Mrs) Alberta Nsemo (Nursing Science), Dr Ncha Bubu (Philosophy), Dr Idang Ojong (Nursing Science), Dr Pauline Ekpang (Guidance/Counselling), Dr Chiaka Denwigwe (Guidance/Counselling).

The list also include Dr Love Asor ( Continuing Edu & Dev Studies), Dr (Mrs) Nkereuwem Ukpong (Educational Management), Dr Emmanuel Ikwen (Special Education) and Dr (mrs) Eme Effiong (Accounting).

The following completed the list: Dr Joseph Asuquo (Orthopaedics & Traumatology), Dr S.C. Ohadoma (Pharmacology), Dr Joseph Ajor (Hist/Int Stud), Dr Michael Agba (Public Admin) and Dr Jonathan Chimakonam (Philosophy).

Source: https://www.grassrootreportersng.com/2023/06/unical-sacks-20-lecturers-promotes-35-as-professors-full-list.html?amp=1

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by abibox02: 6:24am On Jun 20, 2023
Congratulations to those that were promoted, I believe they merit the promotion. And for those that were sacked, I have two advices for them. First, this is not the end of the road. Second, If they eventually get themselves another job, they should do the needful. I wish all of them best in the future.

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by Fintiri: 6:25am On Jun 20, 2023
So helinues will now have to borrow transport from Calabar back to ekiti?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by ybalogs(m): 6:26am On Jun 20, 2023
Congrats to the new Profs . As for those that got sacked ,I believe they know what they should have done to prevent this but too lazy to go for it. Hopefully this will spur them to better things.

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by Bucky001(m): 6:28am On Jun 20, 2023
If such ample time were given for them to forward their Education and they chose to pursue money instead of forwarding their Education as stipulated in the University Act. Then I pity them not

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by helinues: 6:29am On Jun 20, 2023
Fintiri:
So helinues will now have to borrow transport from Calabar back to ekiti?

Stop the years of trolling. Dont throw away all in the name of trolling

Would you die if you did not troll me in a day?

Tell NL's the terrible things that might happen to you if you did not troll me in a day

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by Fintiri: 6:30am On Jun 20, 2023
helinues:

Tell NL's the terrible things that might happen to you if you did not troll me in a day

I told you before that as a junior lab attendant do not take bribe from students for grades .

Now look at your life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by Nayturalistic: 6:45am On Jun 20, 2023
Fintiri:

I told you before that as a junior lab attendant do not take bribe from students for grades .

Now look at your life

Go get a life kid. Your mates no de here.

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by merit455(m): 6:50am On Jun 20, 2023
helinues:

Will you die if you don't mention Peter Obi in all your comment's

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by helinues: 6:51am On Jun 20, 2023
merit455:
Will you die if you don't mention Peter Obi in all your comment's

Oya point out to where I mentioned Peter Obi on this thread.

Can't some of you Obidients just mind your damn business?

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by merit455(m): 6:57am On Jun 20, 2023
helinues:

Oya point out to where I mentioned Peter Obi on this thread.

Can't some of you Obidients just mind your damn business?
I will remind you.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by clockwisereport: 7:10am On Jun 20, 2023
They don join list of unemployed people. To be a lecturer no easy. Other professions go enter with first degree and get promotions and promotions and promotions.

These lecturers are mandated to obtain masters degree just 4 years after employment.
Even those who manage to enroll for PG studies are affected by ASUU strike and other uncertainties. They are racing against time so as not to lose their jobs.

Even after obtaining the so called masters degree, they still earn far less than some first degree holders in some parastatals.

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by christejames(m): 7:47am On Jun 20, 2023
I don't blame the school much but you know how ASUU and Covid after most academic calendar across the country, they should have given them another grace period undecided

Well, congratulations to those retained.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by Cassandraloius: 8:00am On Jun 20, 2023
One thing about these lecturers, infact government workers, they should always know that once there's a new administration everything might change either in the positive or negative way, most of them depend on the lecturing jobs, meanwhile there are lots of businesses one can venture into.
Nigeria is a mess itself, anything can happen at any time.
I wish them well tho.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by BestMan001: 8:08am On Jun 20, 2023
Very good for the 20 foolish ones

Help us and sack more
Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by kernniejay(m): 8:12am On Jun 20, 2023
The 20 lecturers that were sacked were not proactive. They should have, at least, started working on having Masters Degree since they know the requirement of their career structure in the University.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by DrKKK1(m): 10:02am On Jun 20, 2023
This is too harsh madam V.C. Most times when women are at the helm of affairs, they are unnecessarily difficult. The V.C ought to know that there was covid and ASUU strike that effectively took two years of the four years grace period. Apart from stress of getting admission, the university do not provide funds to sponsor staff on masters program. Besides,completion of postgraduate program is not entirely in the hands of the candidates for God sake. Unfortunately, the sacked staff are not yet confirmed so that are incompetent to make case in the law court. I hope ASUU, unicalabar will prevail on the university council to give them a little more time to provide their results.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by clockwisereport: 11:18am On Jun 20, 2023
BestMan001:
Very good for the 20 foolish ones

Help us and sack more

No be them tell you to get carryover
Re: UNICAL Sacks 20 Lecturers, Promotes 35 As Professors (Full List) by BestMan001: 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2023
clockwisereport:

No be them tell you to get carryover

Just that 🙄

(1) (Reply)

Course Outline / Neco Has Finally Mapped Out Solution To All Result Problems From the yr 2000 Til Date / Unaab's Post Utme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.