Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,730 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants (17767 Views)

Canada Immigration Lawyer David Cohen Helps Nigerians Get Permanent Residence / Easiest Way Of Getting Permanent Residence In Europe / Get A Permanent Residence Permit To Any European Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dancewith: 8:40am On Oct 03, 2011
The UK is planning on axing automatic indefinite leave to Remain for legal residents who stay 5 years. As the rule stands now, those that stay legally in the UK for five years can apply for indefinite leave to remain and after one year on that, apply for British Citizenship. It seems the coalition government is considering stopping that.

For those planning on migrating to the UK, it may be worth considering this proposed change before making that decision

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044499/Curb-immigrants-rights-settle-year-work-rule-set-axe.html
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by justwise(m): 9:02am On Oct 03, 2011
dancewith:

The UK is planning on axing automatic indefinite leave to Remain for legal residents who stay 5 years. As the rule stands now, those that stay legally in the UK for five years can apply for indefinite leave to remain and after one year on that, apply for British Citizenship. It seems the coalition government is considering stopping that.

For those planning on migrating to the UK, it may be worth considering this proposed change before making that decision

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044499/Curb-immigrants-rights-settle-year-work-rule-set-axe.html

Only those on work permit. Its an insult to pple who have worked hard and kept their nose clean for 5yrs.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 6:31pm On Oct 03, 2011
well the island is getting crowded thats a fact. the UK it not much bigger that Denmark if even atall bigger, lazy to look it up now. and yet to get permanent resident alone in denmark you have to have legally resided for 9years prior to applying with the exception of dependant of eu citize. UK have been one of the generous so far i woudnt grumble now as they porpulation keeps surging. if it ever stands i know it wont be for long before they reverse it.

1 Like

Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by justwise(m): 6:42pm On Oct 03, 2011
dalebutt1:

well the island is getting crowded thats a fact.  the UK it not much bigger that Denmark if even atall bigger, lazy to look it up now. and yet to get permanent resident alone in denmark you have to have legally resided for 9years prior to applying with the exception of dependant of eu citize. UK have been one of the generous so far i woudnt grumble now as they porpulation keeps surging. if it ever stands i know it wont be for long before they reverse it.

Why do pple keep saying that? I started hearing that even b4 the eastern Europeans joined the EU and many moved to the UK, that argument is flawed.

Your point about Denmark resident permit is misleading, you don't need to live in Denmark that long b4 getting a permit. Do your research.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 7:06pm On Oct 03, 2011
I thought you should read this  and also a link for you. its a fact brother thats how it is in those Nordics Denmark in particular passes his Immigration law restrictively so as to avoid overcrowding I would say the strictest till date that i know of in the EU i could be wrong but am sure its hard for residence down there

Residence

To be listed in a naturalisation bill you must have a permanent residence permit for Denmark and live in Denmark.

Special rules apply to applicants whose spouse's work abroad serves Danish interests and to certain (adopted) children as well applicants born in the period from 1 January 1961 to 31 December 1978 by a Danish mother.

For further details see sections 8, 12 and 14 of the Guidelines.

If you do not have a permanent residence permit, you can apply for one with the Danish Immigration Service.

Moreover, it is a general rule that you must have lived in Denmark for a continuous period of at least 9 years. The residence period is reckoned from the date of your first residence permit.

If you are stateless or have refugee status in Denmark, you only need to have lived in Denmark for a continuous period of 8 years from your first residence permit.

Requirements for shorter periods of residence are also made of Nordic nationals, persons married to a Danish national, persons who came to Denmark as children and were given a Danish education, and persons who underwent a substantial part of their general education or vocational training in Denmark.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 7:31pm On Oct 03, 2011
see the lastest immigration bill

8. (1) A person who lives in marriage with a Danish national may be listed in a naturalisation bill after six consecutive years
of residence in Denmark when the marriage has lasted and the spouse has been Danish for not less than three years. Where a
marriage is of two years’ duration, seven years of residence in Denmark are required, and where a marriage is of one year’s
duration, eight years of residence are required.
(2) Up to one year’s cohabitation prior to the marriage is considered equivalent to marriage during the period in question.
(3) Where the spouses have different residences and it is doubtful for that reason whether they cohabit, the application must
be submitted to the Naturalisation Committee of the Danish Parliament.
(4) Where the applicant is resident abroad due to the spouse’s work, the applicant may only be listed in a naturalisation bill if
the applicant’s aggregate previous period of residence in Denmark satisfies the residence requirement of subsection (1) hereof.
It is a condition that the spouse’s work abroad serves the interests of Denmark.

Unlike the UK after 2 years you are due for permanent resident and a year after due for Naturalisation. Though the UK is bigger than Denmark but then its still a little Island. she has a population of over 62M thats huge for such small country. Albeit am nt applauding the proposed plan
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by OmoTier1(m): 7:32pm On Oct 03, 2011
Some how D.C led government appears again and again to have ignored the FACTS and is hell bent on making sure the tens of hundred thousand net immigration number they lied to the public about is achieved at all cost, even to the detriment of the citizenry just 'cos they want to hold unto power.

Thier proposal to remove the link b/w permanent residency and work permit and the right to family dependency on work permit holders will only affect the UK government and her people.

Do the tory government think they are living in bronze age? If anything, the recent report by the MAC clearly show that companies based in the UK are NOT prepared to take more kicking from the UK government as they will continue to ship jobs out of the country enmass!

Again, I ask, will this stop people from crossing from France to the UK through the channel?

UK has failed to grow since the tory took over and more businesses are posting grim outlook on thier forcast.Tory government is busy chasing shadows on immigration while the economy continue to sink!

To those who say the UK is full, how full is 1.2million brits living and working in Spain?
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 7:47pm On Oct 03, 2011
@ Omo Tier1. as much as i would love to agree with your credible comment. I would also like to ask you this if is were to be the other way round  that is uk to be 9ja you wouldnt be smilling would you. lets face it 62 million for uk is much. Australia stood at 30 sumtin million, Canada is the second largest country in the would it stood @ 32 Million. and creates even more jobs than the UK at the moment. like i said i am not applauding the proposed plan but its a fact too crowded for me and many UK citizens would say such
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by OmoTier1(m): 7:48pm On Oct 03, 2011
I think comparing Denmark to the UK is over the top really. How many multinationals are based in Denmark?

Even, the language barrier alone discorages Highly Skilled Professionals from taking up jobs in Denmark and if I happen to second in Denmark, really would request for posting in less than 2years!
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by OmoTier1(m): 8:03pm On Oct 03, 2011
dalebutt1:

@ Omo Tier1. as much as i would love to agree with your credible comment. I would also like to ask you this if is were to be the other way round that is uk to be 9ja you wouldnt be smilling would you. lets face it 62 million for uk is much. Australia stood at 30 sumtin million, Canada is the second largest country in the would it stood her 32 Millions. and creates even more jobs than the UK at the moment. like i said i am not applauding the proposed plan but its a fact too crowded for me and many UK citizens would say such
The tory government is creating false alarm that the UK is over crowded. By UN nations definination,UK is by no means near over crowded.

Lets face it, UK 62million population includes Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, England, and a host of other islands like new jersey. At the last count,Scotland,Wales and NI saw diminishing return in terms of population growth and even scotland is getting worried by the number of ghost towns now emerging.

Again, even if the government wants to reduce the immigration numbers, obviously, hunting down 'wealth creators' is the wrong approach. A number of the immigration policy the tory have immplemented would only begin to have effect 2015 above, as must immigrants in the UK already have permits that would out live the tory parliament and needless, Skilled Workers these days are highly mobile and unfavourable immigration policy will mean mass exodus and it is already happening beneath the carpets in the UK. Ask any job agent how lucky they have been getting highly skilled professional for thier advertized job role since Jan 2011! Australia followed similar route as UK and the result was mass exodus of health philippino workers to US, and other Asian economies and Australia paid dearly for it as thier health care deteriorated faster than they could imagine.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by kadman(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

UK has failed to grow since the tory took over and more businesses are posting grim outlook on thier forcast.Tory government is busy chasing shadows on immigration while the economy continue to sink!

Honestly this summaries the whole Tory government. They use immigration to achieve popularity meanwhile they are failing on it and every other part of the economy. Unluckily for them their citizens are beginning to wisen up.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 8:40pm On Oct 03, 2011

I think comparing Denmark to the UK is over the top really. How many multinationals are based in Denmark?

Even, the language barrier alone discorages Highly Skilled Professionals from taking up jobs in Denmark and if I happen to second in Denmark, really would request for posting in less than 2years!

well I though you would check this before posting, U heard about the green card scheme in denmark who do you think take up the jobs in these schemes? definately nt the samoans and fijians. 90% of the danes speak English, english is been thought as a 2nd language denmark. BTW there are lots of nigerians in france and germany language has never been a real factor for migration. you say this because your are unwilling to learn a new language. I have a friend that is completely illiterate in terms of education and lived in Norway withing years he was speaking fluent Norsk .  so i think you are wrong on that one. so what about ireland then? English speaking isnt yet i tell you dont think about i they have one of the strictiest immigration law ever the UK still stands out for me. so am nt all surprised they are changing
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 8:48pm On Oct 03, 2011
Australia followed similar route as UK and the result was mass exodus of health philippino workers to US, and other Asian economies and Australia paid dearly for it as thier health care deteriorated faster than they could imagine.

I dont see this happening in the UK anytime soon. as it stands there are more people available for almost any kind of position been advertised on the Job Market. the goverment needs to balance this up thus this new law. I wouldnt live in the UK as it stands there are more eu countries creating more jobs even in this hardship but its nt all rosy in the EU if the citizens are paying greatly due to cuts why cant the foreigner the truth just hurts to accept
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by OmoTier1(m): 8:59pm On Oct 03, 2011
dalebutt1:

well I though you would check this before posting, U heard about the green card scheme in denmark who do you think take up the jobs in these schemes? definately nt the samoans and fijians. 90% of the danes speak English, english is been thought as a 2nd language denmark. BTW there are lots of nigerians in france and germany language has never been a real factor for migration. you say this because your are unwilling to learn a new language. I have a friend that is completely illiterate in terms of education and lived in Norway withing years he was speaking fluent Norsk .  so i think you are wrong on that one. so what about ireland then? English speaking isnt yet i tell you dont think about i they have one of the strictiest immigration law ever the UK still stands out for me. so am nt all surprised they are changing
Do yourself a favour, do a research on international recruitment agency and see if Denmark ranks amongest the destination of choice for employees and reasons why they aren't.

During a programme on BBC Radio 5 live Victoria Derbyshire 9am phone in sometime ago on issue of employment in countries like Denmark, several of the callers which included recruiters mentioned Language barrier as the biggest reason why very few Brits emigrate to these places despite thier proximity to England compared to places like Australia.

Again I ask you, how many multi-national in aerospace,health,can you mention are based in Denmark?
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by OmoTier1(m): 9:14pm On Oct 03, 2011
dalebutt1:

Australia followed similar route as UK and the result was mass exodus of health philippino workers to US, and other Asian economies and Australia paid dearly for it as thier health care deteriorated faster than they could imagine.

I dont see this happening in the UK anytime soon. as it stands there are more people available for almost any kind of position been advertised on the Job Market. the goverment needs to balance this up thus this new law. I wouldnt live in the UK as it stands there are more eu countries creating more jobs even in this hardship but its nt all rosy in the EU if the citizens are paying greatly due to cuts why cant the foreigner the truth just hurts to accept
You really do not get it! Highly Skilled jobs are not B&Q, ASDA retail jobs, okay. I will give you an example. Recently, Airbus UK had to bring in two immigrants who are the very few known experts in the world that can under take aircraft wing lightening test and certification!
FACT: The UK lack the highly Skilled work force that are British who can undertake the work load currently and it will take an average of 5-6 years to get the UK work force upto scratch skills wise.

The tory government is engaging in self deceit in paying blind eye to the reality on ground. The global labour work force is now highly dynamic and Highly skilled professional move in the direction of two things:Favourable pay with good taxes and an open and friendly immigration policy.

I think there is no use debating with FACTS, the MAC report 2011 says it all.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 9:25pm On Oct 03, 2011
Have you actually been to the scandinavians?
15 large Danish and international companies in Denmark launch common initiative to attract and retain highly skilled foreigners
15 of the largest Danish and international companies in Denmark have joined forces and launched a new initiative – Consortium for Global Talent – whose main objective is to create better framework conditions for highly skilled global professionals in Denmark. Furthermore, the Consortium aims at changing the general attitude and behavior of Danes towards expatriates. According to the companies, action is crucial if Denmark wishes to maintain its position as one of the richest countries in the world.

Do you think its all about Uk, all these countries are doing better than the UK, I never knew until i lived somewhere else. Denmark is one of the richest countries in the world. all the scandinavian are way better than the UK a lot of Americans work in Denmark i dont know what your on about brother.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 9:31pm On Oct 03, 2011
How many more of such vacancies are widely open as we speak.  I have seen people on HSMP doing security and i say it my uncle was one of them before he got married to a british and change his status. not lots of these jobs and the torys arent just shutting the door at them stupidly. back to the topic how does nt granting people on work permit after 5years lawful resident  permanent residence  destructive to the UK economy.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 03, 2011
I see a looooooooot of marriage scam in the future shocked shocked shocked
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by tunnytox(m): 10:58pm On Oct 03, 2011
Not surprised! however, this is just a proposal and will still have to be approved by the parliament IMO. Also i don't expect any retrospective application of such rule, I believe it will only apply to new immigrants in tier 2 category.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 11:09pm On Oct 03, 2011
I thought you should bear in mind denmark drills its own oil along with Norway. I have alwayz  wanted to relocate to this oil producing european countries and i tell you English is widely spoken in the Scandinavians. There are few Municipalities in Norway that are mainly for expatriate and you wouldnt find integration as difficult than u ever thought if yu was an expat. Denmark major export includes Machinery and equipment, foodstuffs and chemicals so you should know such country would attract expats whereas the uk main exports are Manufactured goods, chemicals, foodstuffs . see the difference?
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 11:16pm On Oct 03, 2011
@ Tonny no read the dailymail article clearly it would affect people that are already on work permit not just for future migrant. @Ileke-IdI I wouldnt stop laughing at your comment but alas i see a lot of sentences being handed out without compassion. cry
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by debosky(m): 11:25pm On Oct 03, 2011
It's about time it happened. . . .the ability to settle permanently should not be automatic in any country.

As for Tier 1's arguments, the UK will not lose under this policy - if the skilled individuals are such that they still in demand then they will be allowed to remain permanently.

Under the policy, a new ‘hurdle’ will be introduced for immigrants who wish to remain here permanently, based on their ability to support themselves and their families, their qualifications and whether they are working in professions where there are shortages of trained Britons.

You cannot allow mass migration all in the name of getting skilled workers - the approach needs to be more targeted to meet the country's needs.

justwise:

Only those on work permit. Its an insult to pple who have worked hard and kept their nose clean for 5yrs.

How is it an insult? Can the country not set its own terms for individuals to remain permanently? Even in the US or Canada you don't get permanent residence by simply spending a fixed number of years keeping your nose clean.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by dalebutt1: 11:54pm On Oct 03, 2011
Thanks debosky the fact should alwayz be said even though it hurts. UK has far too much immigration it sucks at 62M not good for such tiny island seriously
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by coolkaboom(m): 12:14am On Oct 04, 2011
If only naija could rise up and attain reasonable livin conditions that wil afford our youth accomplish and fulfil their aspirations back home.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by duduspace(m): 12:24am On Oct 04, 2011
I totally disagree with you here Debo, the intent is totally wrong and the statement by the authorities is a very selfish one. The stupidity of it is that it solves nothing. Most of the immigration into the country is from within the EU and not from out of the EU.
I think it is wrong if you allow someone to come into your country to work for 5 years and then tell them they have to go home despite what they have contributed to your country and the attendant adjustments their families have to make, it sounds even worse than slavery and I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the statement from the Home office secretary. This is a silly proposed law arising from a knee jerk reaction to a problem for which the root cause has not been accurately identified.
You can say it is their country and they can do what they want with it but I don't think this is good for the UK in the long term.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by tunnytox(m): 12:25am On Oct 04, 2011
dalebutt1:

@ Tonny no read the dailymail article clearly it would affect people that are [b]already on work permit [/b]not just for future migrant. @Ileke-IdI I wouldnt stop laughing at your comment but alas i see a lot of sentences being handed out without compassion.  cry

So? what is so fascinating about a daily mail article? have you ever lived in the UK before? because if you have you'll should know how things operate here. This is a proposal and mind you it is still subject to a debate in the house of commons because it will result in a major ammedment of the immigration law. Also you stated that it will affect those who are already on WORK PERMIT which is the same thing i stated earlier those on work permit are now called tier 2 migrants. I am very sure it will not affect tier 1 migrants because they have a legitimate expectation that they'll be allowed to settle, if they decide to apply the rule retrospectively the home office will be defeated through normal judicial process, this is not the first time they have to revert back to the old rule having lost their case in the court of law.

As for your argument on Denmark, yes denmark is better than UK in terms of prosperity and standard of living but that is not the perspective of the argument, the fact remains that UK have a bigger economy than denmark and will surely require more immigrants than Denmark, this have nothing to do with whether denmark is a richer than UK or not its the size of the economy that determines the number of required skilled workers.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by duduspace(m): 12:31am On Oct 04, 2011
It definitely doesn't affect people on the Tier 1 scheme, the intention from the beginning was towards immigration, that would be defeated by a judicial review if it is ever attempted.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by Osama10(m): 1:17am On Oct 04, 2011
Always changing the rules all the time.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by duduspace(m): 1:31am On Oct 04, 2011
[Quote]
Immigration Minister Damian Green said:

'The proposals I am making today are aimed at breaking the link between temporary and permanent migration.
'Settlement has become almost automatic for those who choose to stay. This needs to change. The immigration system has got to be made to work properly.
'We want the brightest and best workers to come to the UK, make a strong contribution to our economy while they are here, and then return home.'
[/quote]

Seriously, how selfish does that even sound? the family lifes and well being of those people who have contributed to the UK economy doesn't matter? even if their tax contributions over those 5 years have contributed to infrastructural development and their NI contributions have gone towards meeting the bill of EU benefit migrants from other EU countries who can walk in and out of the UK as they wish.  grin grin 
Anyway, we are waiting for them at the next polls, no wahala.
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by moremi2008(m): 1:36am On Oct 04, 2011
The poor UK is just hastening its descent into oblivion. It has no manufacturing base to speak off and its immigration policy is going to make it more difficult for service industry employers like banks, consulting firms and accounting firms to hire highly-skilled talent. I worked in the UK for a couple of years in a highly skilled role and British citizens were a rarity. In fact, in my team of ~20, only about 5 were British. The rest were high skilled workers from the EU, Australia, Canada, Ireland and the US. The UK just CANNOT produce all the highly-skilled workers that it needs to support a service economy. It hasn't got a firm handle on illegal immigration but wants to make it unattractive for highly skilled workers to accept jobs in the UK! Why is the UK shooting itself in the foot?!! Makes no damn sense!
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by ceasyc(f): 1:38am On Oct 04, 2011
@TOPIC - really? this stinks. so so wrong

dem bloody tories are nutters. changing immigration rules like boxer shorts/ pants. bollocks!
Re: Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants by Busybody2(f): 1:39am On Oct 04, 2011
debosky:

It's about time it happened. . . .the ability to settle permanently should not be automatic in any country.

As for Tier 1's arguments, the UK will not lose under this policy - if the skilled individuals are such that they still in demand then they will be allowed to remain permanently.

You cannot allow mass migration all in the name of getting skilled workers - the approach needs to be more targeted to meet the country's needs.

How is it an insult? Can the country not set its own terms for individuals to remain permanently? Even in the US or Canada you don't get permanent residence by simply spending a fixed number of years keeping your nose clean.

Seriously, where is the UK heading, does anything work in that Country anymore undecided It is like the left hand does no know what the right hand is doing, hopefully there would be an end in sight soon, although it looks like they are trying to run the Country to the ground sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Problems Travellers Face At Nigeria’s International Airports / Isreal Visa / Two Die In Jos Multiple Vehicle-crash (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.